08. The Unknowing
09. Living In Me
10. White Palace
11. Subdivisions [Rush cover] [feat. Dan Swanö] [digital bonus]

Top 20 albums of 2013: 7

Guest review by
IronArkadius666
Rating:
Now before you all think, "Oh god, not another melodeath fan who thinks that every new melodeath record is the greatest one there ever was and will be... much like the city of Qarth" I ask that you all hear me out as I truly believe that this album is exceptional and enough time has passed that, if I once was, I am no longer caught up in the hype that typically follows the release of every melodeath album.

Read more ››
published 03.07.2013 | Comments (16)

Guest review by
Monolithic
Rating:
I've been listening to Omnium Gatherum for a while and I like their stuff. Surely there's enough energy in their music to keep you going and the band seem to know what they're doing with their music, but let's face it; they're missing something, besides originality of course.

Beyond follows the same formula as New World Shadows and it certainly seems compelling for the ears, but terrible for the brain. The inconsistency is far too great for the musicianship or the performance to maintain a proper balance. The album has some decent moments and the catchy melodies are brilliant and dynamic but in the end, they all sound bland and uninspiring. What you're left with is a bunch of good songs with little to offer and a couple of fillers by the time you reach the hour mark. Even the bonus track "Subdivisions" comes out as a song that's a little hard to digest, although it could've made Rush proud.

Read more ››
published 13.10.2013 | Comments (18)

Found in 72 lists
Top lists

Comments page 3 / 4

Comments: 94   Visited by: 1775 users
19.03.2013 - 11:11
Rating: 8
Reaper_Redeemer

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 19.03.2013 at 01:40

Written by Reaper_Redeemer on 19.03.2013 at 01:38

be'lakor you want to tell that they are overrated here??

Be'lakor are the single most overrated melodeath band here on MS, now talk about stale and trite. Even Omnium Gatherum is less stale and trite than those Aussies.

I was waiting more from this answer You haters cannot bring down that band from the top... Reviews, rates and ppl's voice are all against you. try moooore
21.03.2013 - 03:44
renai

I have listen to this few spins right now. It's kinda weird combination, the music is clean and .. soft.. and then the death metal vocal is perhaps not the best in this setting. Enjoyable listening with awesome music playings...but something 8/10 so far..
----
hey...my blog >>> http://metalharem.blogspot.com/
21.03.2013 - 05:39
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Written by renai on 21.03.2013 at 03:44

I have listen to this few spins right now. It's kinda weird combination, the music is clean and .. soft.. and then the death metal vocal is perhaps not the best in this setting. Enjoyable listening with awesome music playings...but something 8/10 so far..

Exactly what I thought. They have a very light kind of sound for a melodic death band, almost to the point where I'd question where one might find the death part, aside from the growls and the generic structure. Initially I thought it sounded watered down and "stale" as some have said about it. I think it might be because it owes far more to the melodic aspect than the death that led to that impression.
They really know their melodies, no denying that I think. Makes it very easy for me to listen to.
21.03.2013 - 10:23
Stoned Crow

I think this is a gathering of so many elements in metal, it should just be labeled metal.
----
I'm very serious about not being serious.
21.03.2013 - 20:25
Overrated as hell, I only see copy/generic Dark Tranquillity riffs with average vocals, great lyrics. 5/10
27.03.2013 - 20:32
Saeed_p

I was not interested in OG but now i have to say its is great and awesome, no more words to say :|
02.04.2013 - 02:01
popmik

Wow a 2013 melodeath release in the top 200? gotta check it out!
04.04.2013 - 03:59
Death_95

Written by popmik on 02.04.2013 at 02:01

Wow a 2013 melodeath release in the top 200? gotta check it out!

My same exact thoughts when I saw it in the top 200, haha! Really good album, impressed.
05.04.2013 - 16:22
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Some incredible melodies on this album, however the myriad filler riffs really detract from its overall quality....also I'm not too fond of some of the major scale melodies and doom-like tempos...

The Unknowing is beautifully crafted and clearly stands out from the rest
08.04.2013 - 19:36
Rating: 9
Spacerunner

Written by PocketMetal on 18.03.2013 at 20:46

Written by qlacs on 16.03.2013 at 02:43

Why every good album needs to be voted down just because the fanboys of another can't stand it? This album stood at 9 when last time I checked it with like a 120 votes. The same happens every year with top quality albums (need to note that mostly with melodic death albums...). Uptight music will always be preferred to downright music, doom fans. This is so childish.

It's not always about the fanboys voting down ... surely the band's fans will rush to vote but not everyone is that excited , so when other people hear it and feel "meh" it gets lots of 6 and 7 ratings . not to mention this one is overrated as fuck already .

But now two lowest votes ("1" and one of "2") are from Persefone fans. So it's an obvious spam voting.
MS needs to change the method for rating calculation to cut off some percentage of the highest and the lowest votes. Then spam votes or fan boy voting will not have sense anymore.
10.04.2013 - 14:50
draggletail

Best album of 2013 so far.But DT has an album yet to be released.
14.04.2013 - 07:40
Rating: 10
Wes

Written by draggletail on 10.04.2013 at 14:50

Best album of 2013 so far.But DT has an album yet to be released.

Hehe this is true. The teaser video makes it sound like it will be amazing. I'm one of those fans who actually adores We Are The Void. Personally I think it's their best work, so very excited to hear Construct.
20.04.2013 - 20:42
Luneth
Account deleted
Written by Stoned Crow on 21.03.2013 at 10:23

I think this is a gathering of so many elements in metal, it should just be labeled metal.

Yeah! Totally agree, in fact I was thinking this is what ensiferum would sound like if they played death metal
23.04.2013 - 11:43
Laze

Written by renai on 21.03.2013 at 03:44

I have listen to this few spins right now. It's kinda weird combination, the music is clean and .. soft.. and then the death metal vocal is perhaps not the best in this setting.

This is exactly what bothers me with Omnium Gatherum. The scenery what the music creates is beautiful, but the vocals just don't fit. The growls are sadly rather generic and simply out of place.
----
Always looking for some new tones between the black and the white.
25.04.2013 - 11:36
Rating: 7
Dylan

Decent album, overhyped.

NWS was better.
01.05.2013 - 00:29
VonMal

^ what this guy said.
01.05.2013 - 02:36
Until the End

It's better than New World Shadows and I rated NWS a 10.
02.05.2013 - 16:30
Yugosaki

^ what this guy said.
----
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaEBpRWr2IA
17.05.2013 - 12:39
RealEyes

The same quallity ! 8.5 from me.
17.05.2013 - 22:51
Zap
Slightly better than the previous one, but still soooooo booooooorrrriiiiinnngggg.
22.05.2013 - 11:32
Rating: 6
Monolithic
♠♠♠
Boring, unoriginal melodeath which is a little sad since it contains some raw energy which is good for headbanging but still not good enough musically.
21.07.2013 - 06:07
chronic-headache

I've been hooked on this album since it was released. So damn atmospheric (for a melo-death band, that's huge)
Watch out for these guys, greatness awaits
29.10.2013 - 02:46
Rating: 6
Skl3ros

Mediocre.
12.02.2014 - 11:15
Stunning Cactus

Some really sad, biased opinions here. Oh well.

After a couple spins, I can honestly say it's interesting and, get this - somewhat ORIGINAL. Fanboys will be fanboys.

In addition, maybe one of you can help me - does anyone know what the symbol on their album stands for? They've had it since The Redshift. It looks like this: -[ ]-. I'm very intrigued because it's a neat symbol and it is even featured in the actual scene of the album art on this album, and not just above their name.
12.02.2014 - 11:36
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by Stunning Cactus on 12.02.2014 at 11:15

In addition, maybe one of you can help me - does anyone know what the symbol on their album stands for? They've had it since The Redshift. It looks like this: -[ ]-. I'm very intrigued because it's a neat symbol and it is even featured in the actual scene of the album art on this album, and not just above their name.

After their latest video was released, there's been speculation that it would actually be called the Sonic Sign. It definitely looks like two tuning forks against each other.
12.02.2014 - 16:52
Warman
Erotic Stains
This is good stuff. But it really doesn't feel right to call this melodeath. It's more heavy metal with growl...
----
12.02.2014 - 22:57
Stunning Cactus

Written by Risto on 12.02.2014 at 11:36

Written by Stunning Cactus on 12.02.2014 at 11:15

After their latest video was released, there's been speculation that it would actually be called the Sonic Sign. It definitely looks like two tuning forks against each other.

I just saw the band live last night and was able to talk to one of their guitar players after the show. I should have asked him
22.10.2014 - 17:33
s_t_s

Just getting into that band and while the growling vocals first seem out of topic, the instruments all fell into place. After a while it seems that even vocals manage to get into place in a very nice way. Pretty good album along with New World Shadows, yet not sure I could name any song yet
26.11.2014 - 18:09
SergioBv

Hm.. this is a good album, but without the mastery than 'New World Shadows'.
15.12.2015 - 01:50
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
I like it much more than their previous, great album!
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!

Hits total: 36650 | This month: 41