Metal Storm logo
Mayhem

Original post

Posted by Lucas, 01.11.2006 - 22:30
No official Mayhem thread? Weird.

You all know the band, no need for an introduction. Discuss all Mayhem stuff here.

First, I'd like to start off with a question. Is anyone of you familiar with their live album Live In Zeitz?
I came across it lately, and was wondering if it is good. No, I am not talking about Live In Leipzig. Live In Zeitz has Dead on vocals, so I thought it would be nice to have that one, since there is not much of Dead besides Live In Leipzig and the Morbid/Mayhem split 'A Tribute To The Black Emperors'. Thank you!
18.06.2009 - 15:11
Got Mayhem?
Written by TheBigRossowski on 18.06.2009 at 15:07

Written by Got Mayhem? on 17.06.2009 at 17:55

...Attila sounds 500% better than on DMDS (I thought Dead could have done better there)...

Donny, you're out of your element. Dead is not the issue here... I'm talking about drawing a line at Attila's feet and across this line...

Also, Dude, you're only writing that because it's been written a thousand times before you and set in stone that ''Dead was the most awesome black metal singer of all time''. Even though there is next to nothing with him on it...

If he was alive, he would admit himself that Attila is 2x as good as he is.

No...no and no
Let me try putting it this way.
Back in the early 90's, based on what little work (from morbid or mayhem) we have to listen to, I would say that Dead would have sounded better on DMDS than Attila did.
However, now that Attila has matured and gotten much much better at vocals I would say that if DMDS were to be recorded right now, Attila would sounds better than Dead.
Also, most awesome BM vocalist of all time? dont recall agreeing to that...
----
18.06.2009 - 15:15
TheBigRossowski
Written by Got Mayhem? on 18.06.2009 at 15:11

...Attila sounds 500% better than on DMDS (I thought Dead could have done better there)...

Donny, you're out of your element. Dead is not the issue here... I'm talking about drawing a line at Attila's feet and across this line...

Also, Dude, you're only writing that because it's been written a thousand times before you and set in stone that ''Dead was the most awesome black metal singer of all time''. Even though there is next to nothing with him on it...

No...no and no
Back in the early 90's, based on what little work (from morbid or mayhem) we have to listen to, I would say that Dead would have sounded better on DMDS than Attila did.
However, now that Attila has matured and gotten much much better at vocals I would say that if DMDS were to be recorded right now, Attila would sounds better than Dead.

You didn't say that, 85% of black metal elitists (between 14-19 years old ) say that. Attila's work on DMDS would have never been topped by Dead. His voice gives that album the special punch that it needs to be considered a classic.
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
18.06.2009 - 15:18
Got Mayhem?
Written by TheBigRossowski on 18.06.2009 at 15:15

No...no and no

You didn't say that, 85% of black metal elitists (between 14-19 years old ) say that. Attila's work on DMDS would have never been topped by Dead. His voice gives that album the special punch that it needs to be considered a classic.

The album is great, I will never disagree there. But I feel on some tracks his performance is slightly inconsistant. Maybe its just me but a few tracks (Freezing Moon?) he sounds like he's straining himself too much, causing thinner vocals and weird sounds. But, for all I know, this could have been on purpose
----
18.06.2009 - 18:07
Hamird
Lieutenant
Written by Got Mayhem? on 18.06.2009 at 15:18

Written by TheBigRossowski on 18.06.2009 at 15:15

No...no and no

The album is great, I will never disagree there. But I feel on some tracks his performance is slightly inconsistant. Maybe its just me but a few tracks (Freezing Moon?) he sounds like he's straining himself too much, causing thinner vocals and weird sounds. But, for all I know, this could have been on purpose

No I don't think so.. Attila's vocals have made some great atmospheres for De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas that Dead never could do.. For example the album titled son. I even can't think about that song with Dead's vocals. And also I think what Attila has done on Freezing Moon was much better than Dead's version.. Of course we'd never heard Dead's studio edited vocals but still I think Attila has a better voice, more operatic and more atmospheric..
18.06.2009 - 20:51
Got Mayhem?
Jeez...just an opinion.
both are good vocalists with different styles, there, better?
----
19.06.2009 - 06:20
Hamird
Lieutenant
Written by Got Mayhem? on 18.06.2009 at 20:51

Jeez...just an opinion.
both are good vocalists with different styles, there, better?

Of course these are just our opinion..
That's the main idea of a forum. People with different ideas discussing with each other and learn new things..
19.06.2009 - 11:01
Crast
Personally I've always enjoyed Atilla's vocals over those by Dead.

However, it is live that Atilla truly is amazing. When we played with them, they dragged all the
trash they could find out on the stage.(including a weird pissoir, that he sang into and used the
resonance from to create eeary noises!) Just an amazing show. I'll see if I can find my pictures.
Atilla was wrapped in some white cloth, making him look like a mummy, or like he was wearing
toilet paper. Twas hilarious.

.:crast:.
26.06.2009 - 01:40
Damnated
Churchburner
is anyone familiar with csihar's new project? afaik he only did a couple of live shows, which is too bad considering how it sounds. there are some live samples on the myspace page, definitely worth checking out. has a great ritualistic sound. http://www.myspace.com/voidovvoices
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
26.06.2009 - 02:38
Hamird
Lieutenant
Written by Damnated on 26.06.2009 at 01:40

is anyone familiar with csihar's new project? afaik he only did a couple of live shows, which is too bad considering how it sounds. there are some live samples on the myspace page, definitely worth checking out. has a great ritualistic sound. http://www.myspace.com/voidovvoices

That's great. If you like such sounds, check out his project with Stephen O'mally, 6(degrees) Skyquake.. In my opinion that's his best.
08.07.2009 - 22:59
Fist of Death
Http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d112/murezor/postermedres.jpg
----
-
09.07.2009 - 00:00
TheBigRossowski
Written by Fist of Death on 08.07.2009 at 22:59

Http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d112/murezor/postermedres.jpg

LMFAO, how terribly brutal. Skittles, haha.
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
21.08.2009 - 04:13
Mayhem is classic. Really good band

Saw them live a while ago and it was really badass. The weather here was fine, and the day Mayhem was coming a huge storm came in and my friends and I were all laughing that Mayhem brought satans wraith with them.

Anyways, Atilla is a crazy mother fucker! If anyone else knows what I'm talking about, he wears this huge brutal costume that covers his whole body... it's really insane, I don't understand how he didn't over heat. He looked so fucking sweaty when they were preforming.

Great concert though...
----
11.10.2009 - 01:59
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Hey, can one of you guys give me a link for downloading the outro from Deathcrush. I tried to find it but I couldn't. I would appreciate it a lot.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
11.10.2009 - 05:46
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
The Attila vs. Dead debate, an arguement that's been going on for the better part of 20 years...

Why can't people just appreciate the oppurtunity to hear the same album done twice, one with one style of vocals and one with the other and be content with it? I am of course talking about Live In Leipzig and DMDS.

Dead seemed to do vocals better live than Attila, in fact that's a reason I am not interested in seeing Mayhem live any longer because, Attila live is seemingly bland, his vocals are so lackluster. I'm sure most will disagree but, that's just the way I feel. His work on DMDS was very atmospheric and was one of many large components in which made Mayhem stick out musically, it was a unique album for it's time. Attila's work on Ordo Ad Chao was great as well, it worked extremely well with the style of the album, I couldn't stop listening to the damn thing when I got it.

However, Maniac fucking owns both Dead and Attila, on any track, any day of the week, live or in studio!!!
11.10.2009 - 15:26
Hellkommando
Written by Bitter Dawn on 11.10.2009 at 05:46

The Attila vs. Dead debate, an arguement that's been going on for the better part of 20 years...

Why can't people just appreciate the oppurtunity to hear the same album done twice, one with one style of vocals and one with the other and be content with it? I am of course talking about Live In Leipzig and DMDS.

Dead seemed to do vocals better live than Attila, in fact that's a reason I am not interested in seeing Mayhem live any longer because, Attila live is seemingly bland, his vocals are so lackluster. I'm sure most will disagree but, that's just the way I feel. His work on DMDS was very atmospheric and was one of many large components in which made Mayhem stick out musically, it was a unique album for it's time. Attila's work on Ordo Ad Chao was great as well, it worked extremely well with the style of the album, I couldn't stop listening to the damn thing when I got it.

However, Maniac fucking owns both Dead and Attila, on any track, any day of the week, live or in studio!!!

Well said dude, I also am a fan of Dead over Attila but I think Maniac is rather awesome as well. I have been into Mayhem for a fair while as you know and I still think Attila is good my preference is just for Dead, again well said.
----

Formerly Desolate Gale
12.10.2009 - 07:43
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by Bitter Dawn on 11.10.2009 at 05:46

Dead seemed to do vocals better live than Attila, in fact that's a reason I am not interested in seeing Mayhem live any longer because, Attila live is seemingly bland, his vocals are so lackluster.

No way man, I've seen him live twice, once with Mayhem and once with Sunn O))), and he was the highlight of both performances, not just because of his stage presence, but the strength and creativity of his voice. Even when he was introducing the band members, the bass from his voice alone when he said, "HELLHAAAAAAMMMEERRRRRRR", was felt deep in my chest. I didn't know he was even capabable of doing gutturals that powerful. His crazy shrieks and low grunts were so unbelievable that my friend and I just dropped our jaws in amazement.
12.10.2009 - 13:03
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
Desolate Gale: Thank-you very much man, I appreciate it. DMDS was one of the first full out black metal albums I had acquired when I was younger, and Attila's style of vocals did make a big impact, honestly I didn't know what to think when I first heard the first track. DMDS was all I really knew for a while, at least a couple years, and it was even longer until I discovered Live In Leipzig, possibly after "Chimeria" I think... I had "Pure Fucking Armageddon", and even now it seems unclear who really did the vocals for that.

Dangerboner: I've heard a tonne of people praise Attila's live performances, from his stage presence, costumes to his improvision on vocals, it seems to vary a lot but, I just don't care for it. I'm kind of wondering if Attila really has kicked the heroine habit by the way he acts, and I still prefer Maniacs presence and vocals, it's rather cliché but, it's almost like the man is demon posessed, he just becomes this creature, lost in his own world but still attached to the music. Maybe some thing that doesn't strike a chord with me is Attila's renditions of the tracks Maniac originally did, from Wolf's Lair Abyss to Chimera.
12.10.2009 - 13:07
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
The description you gave for Maniac is how I felt when I saw Attila live. Maniac always seemed too over-zealous to me, and there really isn't anything creative about his voice as far as I'm concerned. On CD, I never really went crazy about any Mayhem vocalist, but seeing Attila live was a dramatic experience.

Was Wolf's Layer Abyss re-recorded with Attila or are you talking about their recent live performance?
12.10.2009 - 20:19
FOOCK Nam
I like Attila costume. I own a Live DVD where Mayhem is the last one on stage, the singer wearing mask and cut his hand making it bleeding. The live DVD name is Mystic, located in Poland, produced by Mystic production. Wonder that singer of Mayhem is Attila or other one else ? Maniac ?
12.10.2009 - 21:50
Hamird
Lieutenant
Written by FOOCK Nam on 12.10.2009 at 20:19

I like Attila costume. I own a Live DVD where Mayhem is the last one on stage, the singer wearing mask and cut his hand making it bleeding. The live DVD name is Mystic, located in Poland, produced by Mystic production. Wonder that singer of Mayhem is Attila or other one else ? Maniac ?

I haven't watched it but as far as I know Attila never mutilated himself.. Of course it's to my knowledge, and I've never seen him in live.. But cutting and bleeding is Maniac's habit. So I guess it would be him not Attila.
12.10.2009 - 22:40
FOOCK Nam
Some of his costume looks very well:

But some looks so cliche stupid:

12.10.2009 - 22:41
FOOCK Nam
Written by Hamird on 12.10.2009 at 21:50

Written by FOOCK Nam on 12.10.2009 at 20:19

I haven't watched it but as far as I know Attila never mutilated himself.. Of course it's to my knowledge, and I've never seen him in live.. But cutting and bleeding is Maniac's habit. So I guess it would be him not Attila.

I guess same. Searching the info for that my DVD but it is very hard, almost productioner in Poland, their website doesnt write in English.
12.10.2009 - 23:40
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by Bitter Dawn on 12.10.2009 at 13:03

I'm kind of wondering if Attila really has kicked the heroine habit by the way he acts

Since when does Attila have a heroin habit?
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
13.10.2009 - 00:34
Hamird
Lieutenant
Written by Lucas on 12.10.2009 at 23:40

Written by Bitter Dawn on 12.10.2009 at 13:03

I'm kind of wondering if Attila really has kicked the heroine habit by the way he acts

Since when does Attila have a heroin habit?

I didn't know that he uses drugs.. In fact I don't think that he is a drug user at all.. I read in an interview that he even doesn't drink before his performances in order to be sober during the show..
13.10.2009 - 02:19
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
Dangerboner: The WLB was live, I can't recall what the festival was but, it took place during the day, Attila had on a Nazi style outfit and the sound quality via youtube was quite good. Well man, I guess when it comes to vocalists we each have our preferances, just like some people prefer death metal over black metal, at least we both enjoy Mayhem, that's what counts eh.

Lucas & Hamird: I was pretty damn sure I read an interview with either Attila or another Mayhem member that mentioned how Attila use to be a heorin user, I was really surprised because, I didn't think there was a whole lot of drug use in BM, which that in itself is shocking and I still question how many BM musicians are into drugs.

Just did a google search for Attila and heroin, and I can't say I found any thing...
13.10.2009 - 02:22
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Bitter Dawn on 13.10.2009 at 02:19

Lucas & Hamird: I was pretty damn sure I read an interview with either Attila or another Mayhem member that mentioned how Attila use to be a heorin user, I was really surprised because, I didn't think there was a whole lot of drug use in BM, which that in itself is shocking and I still question how many BM musicians are into drugs.

Just did a google search for Attila and heroin, and I can't say I found any thing...

Aren't you confusing Atttila with Maniac when it comes to drug use? I remember reading everywhere that Maniac was/is a big drug abuser
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

13.10.2009 - 02:25
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 13.10.2009 at 02:22

Aren't you confusing Atttila with Maniac when it comes to drug use? I remember reading everywhere that Maniac was/is a big drug abuser

That's quite possible, I know Maniac was into drugs and had a really big drinking problem and has allegedly cleaned up now. I keep on thinking that I read some sort of interview that mentioned Attila using heroin though, damn..it's possible I just remembered it wrong or misread it.
13.10.2009 - 02:32
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Bitter Dawn on 13.10.2009 at 02:25

That's quite possible, I know Maniac was into drugs and had a really big drinking problem and has allegedly cleaned up now. I keep on thinking that I read some sort of interview that mentioned Attila using heroin though, damn..it's possible I just remembered it wrong or misread it.

Like Lucas and Hamird I never ever heard about such a thing concerning Attila, also not in the early 90s btw.
But drug use in the BM scene doesn't surprise me since it is rife all across the metal board.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

13.10.2009 - 16:04
Hamird
Lieutenant
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 13.10.2009 at 02:22

I was wondering the same thing.. Because Necrobutcher had mentioned that Maniac decided (not been kicked out) to leave the band, because of his addiction to drugs.. And also he said the band and Attila in 1999 (if I'm correct) came to terms that whenever Maniac left the band (since they predicted such a day), Attila come for him.. That was the reason Attila left Aborym to rejoin Mayhem..
13.10.2009 - 17:08
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
Here is an interview with Attila that very briefly touches his use on drugs. Not the one I had thought I read that specifically mentioned heroin, the last three to four questions talk lightly on the subject.

http://attila-csihar.mysteria.cz/en/interviews/maelstrom.html