Metal Storm logo
Mayhem

Original post

Posted by Lucas, 01.11.2006 - 22:30
No official Mayhem thread? Weird.

You all know the band, no need for an introduction. Discuss all Mayhem stuff here.

First, I'd like to start off with a question. Is anyone of you familiar with their live album Live In Zeitz?
I came across it lately, and was wondering if it is good. No, I am not talking about Live In Leipzig. Live In Zeitz has Dead on vocals, so I thought it would be nice to have that one, since there is not much of Dead besides Live In Leipzig and the Morbid/Mayhem split 'A Tribute To The Black Emperors'. Thank you!
13.10.2009 - 17:38
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Just like the ending of the interview:

Artists have been using drugs before Jesus Christ, so there's nothing new about it
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
14.10.2009 - 00:41
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by Bitter Dawn on 13.10.2009 at 17:08

Here is an interview with Attila that very briefly touches his use on drugs. Not the one I had thought I read that specifically mentioned heroin, the last three to four questions talk lightly on the subject.

http://attila-csihar.mysteria.cz/en/interviews/maelstrom.html

Now that I've read that I do think I've actually read that before. Only vaguely, though. But I guess you're right. For some reason it sounds to me like he's talking about cocaine instead of heroin, eventhough neither are mentioned.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
14.10.2009 - 07:22
stephenssaiyan
Account deleted
I met Hellhammer a few years ago after a show. He seems to be the only cool one of the bunch.
14.10.2009 - 11:05
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by Guest on 14.10.2009 at 07:22

I met Hellhammer a few years ago after a show. He seems to be the only cool one of the bunch.

Not true. Attila is cool too.
----

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
14.10.2009 - 13:26
Hamird
Lieutenant
Written by Lucas on 14.10.2009 at 11:05

Written by Guest on 14.10.2009 at 07:22

Not true. Attila is cool too.

Not true. Necrobutcher is cool too.
15.10.2009 - 13:00
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
Ha, I guess Blasphemer was the only jack ass then... we've all seen the interview with him on "Metal - A Headbangers Journey".
15.10.2009 - 19:53
Hamird
Lieutenant
Written by Bitter Dawn on 15.10.2009 at 13:00

Ha, I guess Blasphemer was the only jack ass then... we've all seen the interview with him on "Metal - A Headbangers Journey".

Blasphemer is a pure artist.. And to me, the most genius song maker in business.. What he wrote for Mayhem since Wolf Lair Abyss to Ordo Ad Chao, was times better than what Eurnymous had done before.. Though I respect Euronymous very much, but when it comes to comparison between the two of them, I rather prefer Blasphemer over Euronymous as a music maker.
16.10.2009 - 09:59
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
Written by Hamird on 15.10.2009 at 19:53

Written by Bitter Dawn on 15.10.2009 at 13:00

Blasphemer is a pure artist.. And to me, the most genius song maker in business.. What he wrote for Mayhem since Wolf Lair Abyss to Ordo Ad Chao, was times better than what Eurnymous had done before.. Though I respect Euronymous very much, but when it comes to comparison between the two of them, I rather prefer Blasphemer over Euronymous as a music maker.

Oh yeah? Well... I completely agree. Wolf's Lair Abyss is my favourite Mayhem album, and although it took me a considerable amount of time to actually like The Grande Declaration Of War, I have found it to be one of the more unique pieces of work within black metal - though, I could do without "A Bloodsword and a Colder Sun (Part II of II)", the robotic voice modifier bothers me. Again I'll agree, Ordo Ad Chao was a terrific album, I personally felt it reinvented Mayhem and set the bar a bit higher for future albums of the black metal genre. However, I'm not a fan of his work in Ava Inferni, though I've not heard any thing after the first release.
16.10.2009 - 15:37
Hamird
Lieutenant
Written by Bitter Dawn on 16.10.2009 at 09:59

Oh yeah? Well... I completely agree. Wolf's Lair Abyss is my favourite Mayhem album, and although it took me a considerable amount of time to actually like The Grande Declaration Of War, I have found it to be one of the more unique pieces of work within black metal - though, I could do without "A Bloodsword and a Colder Sun (Part II of II)", the robotic voice modifier bothers me. Again I'll agree, Ordo Ad Chao was a terrific album, I personally felt it reinvented Mayhem and set the bar a bit higher for future albums of the black metal genre. However, I'm not a fan of his work in Ava Inferni, though I've not heard any thing after the first release.

Well, actually Bloodsword and a Colder Sun is my favorite track in that album.. In the first place I always thought that Maniac sucks, because I mostly have heard his live performances and songs which was originally sang by Attila and Dead.. Well, still I think he does suck on those stuff.. But his performance in two albums with Mayhem are very good..

My personal opinion is that's better Mayhem don't release a simple EP unless they've got a powerful music maker, like Euronymous and Blasphemer.. And I think they won't because non of Attila, Necrobutcher and Hellhammer (though all three of them are the bests in what they do (in my opinion)) are not the man for writing a whole album.. I can they make satisfy fans by their outstanding performances, and also a DVD can be very nice..
But generally I hope Blasphemer return to the band, because I don't like his Ava Inferi either.. I think that would be a nice side-project for him.
17.10.2009 - 12:26
☭ Mr. S &#9773
Owner of the DSA
I like Maniac a lot, but I think Attila is a better singer, but not neccesarily for Mayhem. I love his work with Sunn O))). But serioiusly I love Mayhem. I have all there albums and have gotten to see them live.
----
Seize the weed of production!
17.10.2009 - 13:23
Hamird
Lieutenant
Written by ☭ Mr. S &#9773 on 17.10.2009 at 12:26

I like Maniac a lot, but I think Attila is a better singer, but not neccesarily for Mayhem. I love his work with Sunn O))). But serioiusly I love Mayhem. I have all there albums and have gotten to see them live.

If you like Sunn O))), check 6°F Skyquake, which is an album by Attila and Stephen O'Malley.. That's my favorite. I don't really like their Burial Chamber Trio or Grave Temple, but this album and his albums with Sunn O))) are very good.
17.10.2009 - 13:28
Znoy
Mayhem from Norway? If it is right - OK. Goooooood
17.10.2009 - 13:58
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Znoy on 17.10.2009 at 13:28

What it supose to mean? what was an idea of this post?
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
17.10.2009 - 22:23
Hamird
Lieutenant

Have you ever heard of Norwegian Black Metal?! These guys invented it..
17.10.2009 - 23:10
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Hamird on 17.10.2009 at 22:23

When I look at his profile and saw his post i get menaing of it ... I suggest you do same look at his posts
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
18.10.2009 - 02:03
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
Written by Bad English on 17.10.2009 at 23:10

Written by Hamird on 17.10.2009 at 22:23

When I look at his profile and saw his post i get menaing of it ... I suggest you do same look at his posts

You better watch out man, C@nnibal may surpass you at having even worse english! Gotta love your SOD signature though, fucking classic.

About the whole Mayhem and Norway thing, the best I could figure is that C@nnibal may had the other band called Mayhem confused, because after all, Mayhems logo does say "the real Mayhem" on it.. so I believe there use to be a differant called Mayhem back in the late 80's.
18.10.2009 - 02:48
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Bitter Dawn on 18.10.2009 at 02:03

About the whole Mayhem and Norway thing, the best I could figure is that C@nnibal may had the other band called Mayhem confused, because after all, Mayhems logo does say "the real Mayhem" on it.. so I believe there use to be a differant called Mayhem back in the late 80's.

The logo actually says "the TRUE Mayhem"
Of course there were loads of Mayhems back in the 80s, with such a name what would you expect? But NONE was known at all outside their own circle of friends. Only the Norwegian one was. AT the back of my old and withering brain there's somehting gnawing away telling me I know the real reason for the name "the ture Mayhem" but for the love of whoever I can't seem to think of it. Maybe I can find it somewhere and then I'll post it here.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.10.2009 - 10:59
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 18.10.2009 at 02:48

Written by Bitter Dawn on 18.10.2009 at 02:03

The logo actually says "the TRUE Mayhem"
Of course there were loads of Mayhems back in the 80s, with such a name what would you expect? But NONE was known at all outside their own circle of friends. Only the Norwegian one was. AT the back of my old and withering brain there's somehting gnawing away telling me I know the real reason for the name "the ture Mayhem" but for the love of whoever I can't seem to think of it. Maybe I can find it somewhere and then I'll post it here.

Doh, of course...thanks for the correction man. It is "the true Mayhem", hell, I even wore my Wolf's Lair Abyss/Fall Of Seraphs shirt to work today, didn't think to reread the front where the logo is.

Ah, I found the reason for them labelling themselves as "the true Mayhem" which was what I had thought, but wasn't 100% certain.
Quote:
"We named our band "The True Mayhem" because there were two other bands that called themselves Mayhem,
one in New York and another somewhere else. We felt that none of those bands were worthy of such a name.
In the beginning, black-metal was not so much about playing well but more about bringing forth that icy,
ugly felling that still characterise bands such as Mayhem and particularly Darkthrone - the latter is one of
my absolute favourites.

http://members.home.nl/adnanderks/interview.html
13.06.2010 - 00:41
Got Mayhem?
Man, anyone else dying for some new Mayhem material? There was a 3 year difference between Chimera and Ordo so maybe it isn't too silly to hope for some news relatively soon.
----
13.06.2010 - 10:56
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Got Mayhem? on 13.06.2010 at 00:41

Man, anyone else dying for some new Mayhem material? There was a 3 year difference between Chimera and Ordo so maybe it isn't too silly to hope for some news relatively soon.

Along with Electric Wizard, 2007 has left me seriously wanting follow ups to their album and Ordo Ad Chao. More than anything else pretty much.
13.06.2010 - 13:19
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
For some reason I don't really crave a new album that much. Not with Blasphemer out.

But hey, if they top Ordo Ad Chao or even come near it, I'll be the happiest man on the planet.
----

13.06.2010 - 16:37
Got Mayhem?
Yea the Blasphemer hole is tough to fill. Like it or not, his riffing was just as distinctive, if not more, as Euro's was. They still haven't permanently replaced him have they?
----
14.06.2010 - 20:26
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
As long as Attila is doing vocals, I don't care who is playing guitar in Mayhem, even though I would prefer Blasphemer to return.

Anyone see recent footage of their live show where Attila got crucified on stage while another dude did vocals? Fuckin brutal!
15.06.2010 - 10:48
Hamird
Lieutenant
Written by Dangerboner on 14.06.2010 at 20:26

As long as Attila is doing vocals, I don't care who is playing guitar in Mayhem, even though I would prefer Blasphemer to return.

Anyone see recent footage of their live show where Attila got crucified on stage while another dude did vocals? Fuckin brutal!

Yes, it's the same story for me. By induction it's been proved to me that I like works that are done by Attila as vocalist.. Except side projects of his with Sunn O))). Actually I've no idea if they're good or not, but I personally prefer to listen to Sunn O))) instead.

But like Lucas I think that no release for now is a good decision.I said once, maybe these days, the best possible thing they can give to their fans is a DVD. The previous one, live in France, wasn't just an impressive live show. But I guess with Attila on stage it'd be a good one.

Anyway I haven't seen this thing you said, where I can see it on the net?!
16.06.2010 - 02:47
Got Mayhem?
This one?

In that video it almost looks like Messiah on vocals. Doubtful, but it'd be pretty cool if that were the case.
----
29.07.2010 - 09:01
Javier_000
Totally respectful band. Even after after so many changes. Is not that one member or ex member of mayhem sounds better than the other, they are just different. They still sound great for what black metal is. ....Just taste.
----
i freaks my draulics phuckin' hoes in college... beetches swinging on my nuts is so stylish...
30.07.2010 - 04:43
DemonofDarkness
Account deleted
To me Mayhem indeed after De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas . In that album I could really hear the darkness out of their blackened souls
Each song on that album is a gem .
I tried their newer releases some of them were good but sorry .. wasn't my type of bm .
30.07.2010 - 05:46
Javier_000
Written by Guest on 30.07.2010 at 04:43

To me Mayhem indeed after De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas . In that album I could really hear the darkness out of their blackened souls
Each song on that album is a gem .
I tried their newer releases some of them were good but sorry .. wasn't my type of bm .

Wonder if what Varg offered to this album means something extra musically speaking. Also , the album you are naming is like 'the' figure in the 'end' ( loool ) of the dead/euronymous era. Wich in my opinion became a boost to Mayhem's popularity... wich was obviously good for the ones that remain alive..
Wonder why would they have stopped suiciding / killing each other
----
i freaks my draulics phuckin' hoes in college... beetches swinging on my nuts is so stylish...
30.07.2010 - 07:27
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
Oh shit, I missed a gig they gave in my city last year, but they will return soon, well, as soon as the promoters of the event re-schedule the festival where they are supposed to headline with Hirax and hopefully, I'll be there.

What should I say about The True Mayhem: This guys have a big pair of hairy Black metal balls.

I'll never expect another "De Mysteriis..." or another "Grand Declaration Of War", and so on, because this band reinvent themselves with each album, and I like that, even if some results aren't for my total pleasure, I have a huge respect for them because they don't give a fuck about pleasing fans who ask for another DMDS, they just do what they like and that's fine with me. For that reason, I don't think they will pull another "Ordo Ad Chao" (great album indeed, hard to digest, but worth listening), they will surely reinvent themselves again and release another album with a totally different sound, another creepy Mayhem experiment, well, only if they ever release something new, if not, I don't have any problem, we have enough material to enjoy forever.
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
30.07.2010 - 17:48
Javier_000
Written by Daggon on 30.07.2010 at 07:27

Oh shit, I missed a gig they gave in my city last year, but they will return soon, well, as soon as the promoters of the event re-schedule the festival where they are supposed to headline with Hirax and hopefully, I'll be there.

What should I say about The True Mayhem: This guys have a big pair of hairy Black metal balls.

I'll never expect another "De Mysteriis..." or another "Grand Declaration Of War", and so on, because this band reinvent themselves with each album, and I like that, even if some results aren't for my total pleasure, I have a huge respect for them because they don't give a fuck about pleasing fans who ask for another DMDS, they just do what they like and that's fine with me. For that reason, I don't think they will pull another "Ordo Ad Chao" (great album indeed, hard to digest, but worth listening), they will surely reinvent themselves again and release another album with a totally different sound, another creepy Mayhem experiment, well, only if they ever release something new, if not, I don't have any problem, we have enough material to enjoy forever.

Agreed, they come to some 'reloaded' Mayhem with every new album they produce.
Oh, and i lost their gig in my country too, or maybe i was too high i didnt remember.
----