03. Wish You Were Dead
04. Black Daze
05. Save Yourself
06. Drop The Hammer Down
07. 21st Century Man
08. Old Wounds, New Scars
09. All Over But The Shouting
10. Good Night

This is a year when old masters show us how it's done. First, in the death metal enclave, Asphyx showed us how real death metal is supposed to sound, and now it's time for the somehow stale thrash pond full of seemingly fresh fish who stink of plagiarism to be shown the real thrash deal. Overkill, who already swept the thrash scene clean 2 years ago with Ironbound, are back with The Electric Age.

Ironbound was brilliant in its own right, perhaps on a par with Overkill's classics from the 80's and 90's. It was not really feasible to top that release, and The Electric Age doesn't, but it's brilliant as well. Overkill isn't a revivalist band, they don't need to rehash their old ideas, nor do they ride the bandwagon of their old glory. They simply soldier on, starting the fourth decade of their career, still playing their own, unique brand of thrash that sounds like no other band. Hell, they sound angrier, faster and more aggressive than they ever have.

Ever since they started playing thrash, Overkill have had this endearing, energetic, slightly punk-ish vibe. It was already present on their debut, Feel the Fire, and it seems to be alive and kicking almost 30 years later.

The festival of thrash mastery begins with the inspired gallop of "Come and Get It" - over six minutes of juicy, bloody thrash metal steak of the highest quality. Every following song is a testament to Overkill's enduring excellence. Whether it is a dazzling headbanger called "Electric Rattlesnake", or a groovy rocker "Black Daze", the force is there. Mr Ellsworth and Co. have lost none of their potency, and they even acquired some new hues of it. "Drop the Hammer Down" is so super melodic, especially its guitar solos, that even Iron Maiden's guitar trio should feel embarrassed. Not that it'd be hard, seeing how much their last album sucked anyway...

All the Warbringers, Vektors, Toxic Holocausts and other thrash babies of this world may as well sell their guitars and become altar boys, because they are unlikely reach the level of excellence that Overkill seems to have claimed for good with their last 2 albums. Dear Padawans, to the great Overkill bow now you must.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 8
Production: 9

Written on 03.04.2012 by Writes overly honest and totally subjective reviews when fancy strikes him. Which is not often. Which is probably good, all things considered.

Comments

Comments: 38   Visited by: 417 users
03.04.2012 - 14:15
Rating: 9
AndMetalForAll
kual21
Completely agreed, it's just an amazing album. Ironbound was better, but this one doesn't disappoint nothing at all.

Rating: 9/10

greets,
AndMetalForAll
----
greets,
kual21
03.04.2012 - 16:04
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
I thought track 7 said 21st Century Schizoid Man for a second
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
03.04.2012 - 16:14
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I gave it a listen this morning and the album was passable but like a 30+ year marriage there wasn't a single surprise.
03.04.2012 - 16:19
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Guest on 03.04.2012 at 16:14
like a 30+ year marriage there wasn't a single surprise.

Well I dunno, maybe the wife got a kinky idea all of a sudden and the husband was always way too shy to tell her his fantasies and all of a sudden BANG! some crazy shit just got real.....

How this comment is relevant to the review I have no idea. Sorry.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
03.04.2012 - 16:27
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 03.04.2012 at 16:19

Well I dunno, maybe the wife got a kinky idea all of a sudden and the husband was always way too shy to tell her his fantasies and all of a sudden BANG! some crazy shit just got real.....

How this comment is relevant to the review I have no idea. Sorry.

This could descend into some serious fantasy online slash with Overkill members...
03.04.2012 - 16:32
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Okay, just like Ironbound was okay. Nothing special though. But then again the only two more than okayish Overkill albums are their first two.
If there ever was an overrated thrash band Overkill is it. Secon tier from the start with a weak voclist, although very charismatic.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

03.04.2012 - 17:59
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Honestly this gets better every time I push play, seriously engaging Thrash. Overkill I've always relied upon for some decent material in the genre, they're far more dependable than any other Thrash band nowadays in my opinion. This is getting dangerously close to topping Ironbound. Nice review also, this album is quite different to the previous one which is great I think, they didn't stick with what worked so well with Ironbound and instead tried a different avenue.
03.04.2012 - 18:35
Daniell
_爱情_
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 03.04.2012 at 16:32

If there ever was an overrated thrash band Overkill is it. Secon tier from the start with a weak voclist, although very charismatic.

My version:
If there ever was an underrated thrash band Overkill is it. First tier from the start with a vocalist better than 90% of thrash vocalists.
03.04.2012 - 18:39
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Daniell on 03.04.2012 at 18:35

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 03.04.2012 at 16:32

My version:
If there ever was an underrated thrash band Overkill is it. First tier from the start with a vocalist better than 90% of thrash vocalists.

I stand by my words, second tier and a weak vocalist.

And totally not underrated seeing the praise they get almost everywhere.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

03.04.2012 - 19:06
Daniell
_爱情_
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 03.04.2012 at 18:39

And totally not underrated seeing the praise they get almost everywhere.

Now they aren't underrated, I agree. But they were in the 80's and 90's.
03.04.2012 - 19:12
Baz Anderson

I really don't like this album as much as "Ironbound"... it just doesn't have the energy or punch that it has...
03.04.2012 - 19:47
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Daniell on 03.04.2012 at 19:06

Now they aren't underrated, I agree. But they were in the 80's and 90's.

Not even then, trust me. everyone knew them in the second half of the Eghties and early Nineties.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

03.04.2012 - 21:51
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Holy inflated score, Batman!

Better than all of the watered down revivalist stuff going around, but I think on its own it doesn't really deserve much attention. By comparison to the contemporary thrash scene, however, I think the score is accurate.

Still not as strong as Ironbound, and definitely not as strong as their first few releases.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
03.04.2012 - 22:00
Daniell
_爱情_
Not more inflated than some people's egos to be honest. Besides, the album is excellent IN MY OPINION, so the score is accurate IN MY OPINION.

IN MY OPINION, people pay too much attention to scores anyway. That's MY OPINION anyway.
03.04.2012 - 22:07
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Some people overrate (scoring wise) Overkill other overrate Nightbringer (scoring wise) same difference
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

03.04.2012 - 22:11
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 03.04.2012 at 22:07

Some people overrate (scoring wise) Overkill other overrate Nightbringer (scoring wise) same difference

Did you intend to say Warbringer or is there some cult thrash resurgence group of that name?
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
03.04.2012 - 22:15
?apleee
Mouthcrab
Written by Auntie Sahar on 03.04.2012 at 16:04

I thought track 7 said 21st Century Schizoid Man for a second

You're not the only one.
----
"Without judgement, perception would increase a million times."~Chuck Schuldiner

Less coherent than Anal Cunt.

Eric Brecht once liked my Facebook comment. Therefore, by the translative property, Chuck Schuldiner like my comment.
03.04.2012 - 22:23
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by vezzy on 03.04.2012 at 22:11

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 03.04.2012 at 22:07

Did you intend to say Warbringer or is there some cult thrash resurgence group of that name?

No I meant the black metal band Nigtbringer which some staffer goes all bezerk over
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

03.04.2012 - 22:48
Mattybu

Sounds like something I would like. As soon as I cease being poor I will pick this one up. Ironbound was pretty good.

Although, I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss Toxic Holocaust/Warbringer/Vektor's work, regardless of if they are "thrash babies" (I'm assuming that referred to the fact they haven't been around too long), their recent outputs have banged waaaaay harder than a lot of Overkill's material.
03.04.2012 - 22:59
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 03.04.2012 at 22:23
No I meant the black metal band Nigtbringer which some staffer goes all bezerk over

I'm assuming that's regarding me? I don't go berserk over them but I do enjoy their music for sure. I wouldn't even give either of their releases a 9.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
03.04.2012 - 23:01
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Daniell on 03.04.2012 at 22:00
Not more inflated than some people's egos to be honest.

Not really sure what ego has to do with this. :/
----
03.04.2012 - 23:09
Daniell
_爱情_
Didn't necessarily mean your ego!
03.04.2012 - 23:12
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Daniell on 03.04.2012 at 23:09
Didn't necessarily mean your ego!

I didn't assume mine, but like... anyone's. I dunno, it just seemed like a really weird response. Unless it was just kind of a backhand humorous comment.
----
04.04.2012 - 00:19
wormdrink414

Agree that Ironbound is better, but this is still a lot of fun. Been throwing on Electric Rattlesnake like five + times a day since I got this.
04.04.2012 - 02:14
Void Eater
Account deleted
Disregard silly staff argument, acquire thrashing.
04.04.2012 - 11:18
Rating: 7
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
If this album is better, best or near to Ironbound is inanity at this moment but I think this album has its own uniqueness towards thrash. Definitely, one of the second best releases after Asphyx's Deathhammer.
04.04.2012 - 11:47
Daniell
_爱情_
Written by Guest on 04.04.2012 at 02:14

Disregard silly staff argument, acquire thrashing.

Give this man a beer
04.04.2012 - 11:57
cam

I do not like this album, therefore I shall smite you with my forum hammer (pictured below):

MYOPINIONSTATEDASFACT
MYOPINIONSTATEDASFACT
MYOPINIONSTATEDASFACT
MYOPINIONSTATEDASFACT
MYOP
INION
MYOP
INION
MYOP
INION
04.04.2012 - 12:01
cam

Worst. ASCII. Ever.
04.04.2012 - 17:41
Kwis

"All the Warbringers, Vektors, Toxic Holocausts and other thrash babies of this world may as well sell their guitars and become altar boys..."

Yeah, I beg to differ.

Hits total: 10537 | This month: 14