Metal Storm logo
On Musical Taste Evolution...

Some days ago, by looking at some threads on MS regarding "how did you get into metal?" and such, I thought it would be interesting to see how my musical tastes changed over time and how one style took me to listen to another. I also thought I'd share it with you since I got the idea from here.

Created by: Unhealer | 03.04.2012

1. Evanescence
2003: Back when I listened only what my parents played in my house, my dad brought Fallen one day. I loved it and it was one of the few records I'd actively listen to other than Elton John and some other latin artists. That was kind of an unconscious introduction to some heavy riffing and pounding drums and bass while maintaining the commercial compositions I was used to.
2. Linkin Park
2004: The first band I became a "fan" of. After learning from it from a friend and hearing "Breaking The Habit" on MTV, I asked my parents for this record. The occasional "heavy" and screamed parts got me by surprise, but I always seemed to have chills during those parts. This eventually led me to start myself into metal with nu/alternative bands like Korn, Deftones, Mudvayne or System Of A Down. I was also a fan of Slipknot for one week, but I hated them after that week ended.
3. Metallica
2005: We rented the "Some Kind Of Monster" movie with my friend one night because the cover said it was a movie for metal fans (LOL). We liked some of the songs on St. Anger because of the nu-metal similarities. Then I went back and back on Metallica's history and realized the further I went the more awesome they'd get. They (years later) got me into the rest of the thrash (and now not so thrash) movement such as the rest of the so-called big four, Testament, and the groovier Pantera.
4. Tool
2006: This came out of nowhere. I got internet in my house that year and by browsing metal sites, I saw there was a big hype over the upcoming record "10,000 Days". I checked out the band and I loved it instantly. Maybe the vague progressive influences on the older Metallica records got me here? I don't know. However, I didn't become prog-obsessed until sometime later.
5. Nightwish
2006: Checked this out thanks to a hot chick that listened to it. Since I already liked Evanescence and I was getting into heavier bands, it was likely I would also like these guys. With them I got into the symphonics in metal and gothic scene such as Epica, Tristania, Haggard and Lacuna Coil; also giving some steps into extreme metal influences.
6. Dimmu Borgir
2006: I was still playing alternative/nu metal with my ex-band back then, until we finally got a drummer, who was mostly into extreme metal. He introduced us to Dimmu Borgir and I instantly loved it. That way I also checked out black/symphonic acts Cradle Of Filth, Graveworm and Emperor. Some TBM also, from which I liked just a couple of albums. Random fact: months later my band changed to a black/thrash metal outfit... with a keyboard player.
7. Behemoth
2007: Giving my first steps into the extreme side of metal, I also went for some death and doom metal and I started with Behemoth. I got into Nile, Deicide, My Dying Bride, Virgin Black and Arch Enemy.
8. Opeth
2007: Now with extreme tastes incorporated, sooner or later they would clash with my love for Tool when a friend told to me listen to Otep and I checked out Opeth by mistake. Thanks to this band I became the prog fan and I'm now when I later checked out bands like Dream Theater, Pain Of Salvation, Orphaned Land, Porcupine Tree, Symphony-X and such. And I spent the whole 2008 progging out.
9. Death
2009: Took them from the Argentinian Opeth Forum. This band took me into two new directions. First it showed me the "jazzy" death scene they shared with Atheist and Cynic; which I had a hard time getting into but in the end I loved. Second it got me through the old death metal scene such as Obituary, Pestilence or Entombed. Those 80's death metal records, I seem to enjoy them a lot whatever record it is.
10. Pink Floyd
2009: Until that moment, I listened only to metal-related bands. With Mikael from Opeth always saying how old prog was an influence to them, I ended up checking Pink Floyd, Genesis, Rush, Jethro Tull, King Crimson and loving the old times of prog-rock. This heavily opened my mind in the sense that there was no reason for me to listen to metal only.
11. Alcest
2010: Also from the Opeth forum. They showed me what is probably the form in which I enjoy black metal the most. Les Discrets, Agalloch, Lantlos and Amesoeurs followed.
12. Unexpect
2011: This was a huge mindfucker. It got me into the whole avant-garde movement, from which I only had heard Arcturus until then. Devin Townsend Project, Shining (NOR), Peste Noire and Diablo Swing Orchestra soon followed. But by getting into this band I also realized I can pretty much enjoy any kind of music regardless of it's genre, whether I would consider it for my mp3 or not. From that point to this very day, avant-garde is the style that interests me the most. I could even enjoy Loutallica's Lulu.

Disclaimer: All top lists are unofficial and do not represent the point of view of the MS Staff.
[ More lists by Unhealer ]

Comments

‹‹ Back to Lists
Comments: 20   Visited by: 78 users
03.04.2012 - 21:25
Unhealer
Eclecticist
BTW, after all this time I still hate Slipknot.
And Lacrimosa, but that is unrelated.
04.04.2012 - 03:49
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Cool idea...I wish there was a post-rock/metal sub genre list...
----
rekt
07.05.2012 - 21:57
Grey Wind

Bumped into your username, and decided to click for no reason glad I did . This is great, very interesting to see how each person's taste changes differently. I too started with Nu Metal(Drowning pool)..Hmm..my memory isn't good as yours, but I think sitting down and writing this kinda list would be extremely cool!
----
wimps and posers leave the hall lol
07.05.2012 - 22:07
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
It was all cool and stuff until I read "Lulu".

I gotta get the fuck out of here.

(the rest was nice to read though)
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
07.05.2012 - 22:14
InnerSelf
proofread free
A bit similar to how I started listening to metal , nice idea
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
07.05.2012 - 22:15
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by X-Ray Rod on 07.05.2012 at 22:07

It was all cool and stuff until I read "Lulu".

That is why it's carefully placed as the last word
08.05.2012 - 01:42
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Great idea for a list

now if I made such a list, it would just be too damn long
08.05.2012 - 01:51
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
This list may or may not have inspired me to do the same thing at some point...
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
08.05.2012 - 02:40
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 08.05.2012 at 01:42

Great idea for a list

now if I made such a list, it would just be too damn long

Same here.

First album is simple for me though Kiss - Dynasty in September 1979 but then all hell breaks loose
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

08.05.2012 - 07:26
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Troy Killjoy on 08.05.2012 at 01:51

This list may or may not have inspired me to do the same thing at some point...

I thought the same but I felt like such a copycat. But it's a very cool idea indeed.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
08.05.2012 - 08:18
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
It's pretty banal to head over from nu-metal bands to the heavy tastes like Slayer.

I started with Sabbath>>>Iron Maiden>>>Metallica>>>Mercyful fate>>>Slayer>>>>Nightwish( after listening to "Evanescence" on youtube)>>>Kreator>>>Suicide Silence(ahha!)>>>>Havok>>>Warbringer>>>and it's going on.
08.05.2012 - 08:36
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 08.05.2012 at 08:18
I started with Sabbath>>>Iron Maiden>>>Metallica>>>Mercyful fate>>>Slayer>>>>Nightwish( after listening to "Evanescence" on youtube)>>>Kreator>>>Suicide Silence(ahha!)>>>>Havok>>>Warbringer>>>and it's going on.

Apparently it's less banal to start with classics and move into trend followers and modern revivalist bands...
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
08.05.2012 - 09:28
Unhealer
Eclecticist

It's pretty banal to head over from nu-metal bands to the heavy tastes like Slayer.

Well, based on what I heard so far, the two most common ways to get started into metal "lately" are either by nu-metal or classic heavy metal bands like you did.

There was a pretty bizarre case of an ex-bandmate of mine. He lived in the countryside until he was 13; when he was 8, he got a Mayhem record from one of his parents without having heard any metal before, but he loved it and listened to that every day. Then he kept asking the guy for raw black metal records like older Darkthrone.

And last time I saw him he was a Dream Theater fanboy. The "I can play the all the bass solos from these three albums" kind of fanboy.
08.05.2012 - 10:59
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Troy Killjoy on 08.05.2012 at 08:36

Apparently it's less banal to start with classics and move into trend followers and modern revivalist bands...

As it always be. It's better to start with your gear with developing ample taste from classics than to put your head into some random Nu-Metal stuffs jumped to modern wagon . Just saying.

it's not a formula I guess but it depends from person to person the kind of music that he/she was listening to.
28.05.2012 - 02:23
Fredd
Account deleted
+1

and here's mine
28.05.2012 - 14:54
IronAngel

Written by Cynic Metalhead on 08.05.2012 at 10:59

As it always be. It's better to start with your gear with developing ample taste from classics than to put your head into some random Nu-Metal stuffs jumped to modern wagon . Just saying.

Haha. I wasn't aware there were "better" and "worse" ways to listen to music. I couldn't even begin to imagine the standards you use to evaluate that.

You misused the word banal, by the way.
21.07.2012 - 19:06
zarahuztra

If u wanna check out some quality jazz, try http://www.ecmrecords.com/Startseite/startseite.php
30.01.2013 - 23:04
Monolithic
♠♠♠
Somehow, I find this list a bit familiar. You went through some metamorphosis right there.
08.10.2013 - 00:49
Jiri

Alice in Chains > Marilyn Manson > Cradle of Filth > Underground BM (especially Arcturus & Ulver) > Root > Acid Bath > Alice in Chains
08.10.2013 - 08:52
mz

Linkin park> metallica > death and anathema > opeth and saturnes > shape of despair, nevermore and nile
recent evolution:Terra Tenebrosa and N.K.V.D > Blut aus Nord and Lurker of chalice > ulcerate > Deathspell Omega
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.

Hits total: 1992 | This month: 7