Metal Storm logo
Metal just a phase?

Original post

Posted by , 02.11.2006 - 05:18
Some people just don't understand. You know, they can tell me about my "punk ass bitch gothic t shirts", they can tell me everything I listen to sounds the same, they can say just about anything in the book and I'll gladly set them straight if they allow me the time to explain to them. But nothing pisses me off more than when people tell me that it's just a phase or that I listen to metal music because I'm angry. I live in a part of the city where I'm the only metal head I really know so maybe this is new to you guys but I get this erroneous comment all the time. So just to get the conversation stirring, which people just go through a metal phase and which people (like myself) plan on devoting their whole lives to metal?
17.10.2012 - 23:26
Oaken
Hipster
I simply listen to metal because it's an enjoyable pastime, but I think I'll grow out of it in a year or a little bit more.
----
In that case, man is only air as well.
17.10.2012 - 23:45
J. N.
Account deleted
I've been in a phase for six years. Neat.
19.10.2012 - 01:37
ANGEL REAPER

Yes ...for me metal is just a phase ...a best fucking phase ever! and its like that for 7-8 years now...
i like metal and i think that i will never stop listening to it until my heart stops for forever ...
yet i have seen people that listened to metal for few years in their teens and then they just stopped (and during that time they were like "holier than thou metalheads" ) and just started listening to other stuff ...i dont know maybe this form of music was jut a way for them to coup with the stress of the teenage years ...
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
19.10.2012 - 11:15
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Oaken on 17.10.2012 at 23:26

I simply listen to metal because it's an enjoyable pastime, but I think I'll grow out of it in a year or a little bit more.

what do you mean by growing out of it?
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

19.10.2012 - 11:37
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha

OMG! you said exactly the same thing about Black Metal couple of months back.
19.10.2012 - 11:43
Daniell
_爱情_
Grow out of it
These are not your shoes man, you can't grow out of your taste. Your taste may change, sure, but it has nothing to do with growing out of things.
19.10.2012 - 13:14
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 19.10.2012 at 11:15

As in your grow old, and start listening to country
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
19.10.2012 - 13:29
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Spirit Molecule on 19.10.2012 at 13:14

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 19.10.2012 at 11:15

As in your grow old, and start listening to country

so he is old at 17? And even when you grow old there's no reason not to listen to metal any more. I really can't see myself listening to anything else but metal when I am 70 (that is if am not deaf or dead hahahahaha). Been listening to it for 33 years now, so why wouldnt I be listening to it in another 26 years? Enough variation in metalto keep me satisfied.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

19.10.2012 - 14:35
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 19.10.2012 at 13:29

so he is old at 17? And even when you grow old there's no reason not to listen to metal any more. I really can't see myself listening to anything else but metal when I am 70 (that is if am not deaf or dead hahahahaha). Been listening to it for 33 years now, so why wouldnt I be listening to it in another 26 years? Enough variation in metalto keep me satisfied.

Haha I know! It's weird that a lot of people say that though, I guess it happens with people who just listen to metal to be "cool" ?
My parents have been saying the same thing for the last 8 years. "he'll grow out of it"
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
19.10.2012 - 17:45
Enemy of Reality
Account deleted
For most people it's just a phase. I've seen many (not all thankfully) of my metal friends forget about it, and most of them right after getting into a serious relationship or after getting married. Marriage kills metal! lol
19.10.2012 - 19:16
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Guest on 19.10.2012 at 17:45

For most people it's just a phase. I've seen many (not all thankfully) of my metal friends forget about it, and most of them right after getting into a serious relationship or after getting married. Marriage kills metal! lol

Fuck that I've been with my gf for nearly 6 years now, I can't say she's a metalhead, she does enjoy going to shows from time to time. But she does not listen to metal often. And she never complained about me listening to metal or try to talk me out of it, its a question of respecting the other. If a couple can't respect the other's musical or anything's taste they should probly just go their own separate ways imo. I mean I don't complain when she listens to pop music or anything else she enjoys. I don't think serious relationships kills anything really.
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
19.10.2012 - 20:30
Oaken
Hipster
I'm sure I've read the expression "grow out of metal" somewhere before, but I'm not sure if it's correct. And to be honest, I think that metal and music in general are just phases for me. I don't think I'll continue listening to it as I grow up, not sure why, but that's what I feel will happen.
----
In that case, man is only air as well.
19.10.2012 - 20:58
Nosurper
Stinky Lips
I recently phased out of listening to metal in my car. Jumped on I-95 listening to AIC. Wasn't paying attention and floored it while singing. Cop nailed me after about a mile.
----
20.10.2012 - 07:55
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
I don't think I'll grow out of metal simply evaudeni keep an open mind. I listend to other thins as well, that way I don't get bored of constant hire kiting

EDIT: My first drunk MS post... Save me...
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
20.10.2012 - 16:09
Thrashette

If anything, the specific subgenres of metal I listen to are a phase. I've had symphonic, power, death, black, thrash, and folk phases before. I've even had phases that involved genres outside of metal (punk, goth, industrial, and ska to name a few). Sometimes these phases last more than a year, sometimes only a few weeks, and most of them are recurring. Even when I "grow out" of certain phases, there's still a few bands I appreciate. When people ask me what type of metal I listen to, my usual answer is "A bit of everything but I've been listening to a lot of ______ nowadays". If anything, I suspect that I might become less into metal in the sense of not devoting so much time to concerts, listening to music, lurking metal forums, etc, but it will still always be my music of choice.

As for relationships/marriage killing metal, maybe it works that way only in the sense of having to spend more time and money on outings with your partner than metal and having to listen to different music when you're out with them. That doesn't mean metal has to be completely removed from one's life for a relationship, especially if you settle down with someone who can at least accept your interest in metal, if not share it. I would think that someone controlling what music their partner listens to is a sign of an unhealthy relationship lol Then again, I can't say I've ever been in a relationship with someone who didn't like metal. Even most of the people I was kinda seeing but never got into a relationship with were metalheads
23.10.2012 - 16:13
Enemy of Reality
Account deleted
Written by Guib on 19.10.2012 at 19:16

Fuck that I've been with my gf for nearly 6 years now, I can't say she's a metalhead, she does enjoy going to shows from time to time. But she does not listen to metal often. And she never complained about me listening to metal or try to talk me out of it, its a question of respecting the other. If a couple can't respect the other's musical or anything's taste they should probly just go their own separate ways imo. I mean I don't complain when she listens to pop music or anything else she enjoys. I don't think serious relationships kills anything really.

I think you misunderstood my point. It's not a matter of respect, but a matter of financial and time priorities. With marriage priorities change, and instead of going to concerts or buying cds, you'll start investing in diapers, school books and other stuff like that. With time you'll simply won't worry about metal as much as before.
23.10.2012 - 16:28
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 23.10.2012 at 16:13

With marriage priorities change, and instead of going to concerts or buying cds, you'll start investing in diapers, school books ...

that has nothing to do with marriage but all with getting kids I know loads of married people without kids and also loads of unmarried couple with kids.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.10.2012 - 17:27
Fredd
Account deleted
For some people, it is just a phase. I've known several who used to (superficially) listen to metal because it was "cool" and then moved on to other genres. And some who "grew out of it" socially, be it marriage, kids or work. Myself, I've been listening for 5 years and I'm curious to know if I'd still be listening 5 years from now. I mean, I hope to, but also I dont know how my life is going to change.
23.10.2012 - 20:33
Daniell
_爱情_
Written by Guest on 23.10.2012 at 19:53

People say that it's just a phase because they're ignorant. They know nothing about metal at all. And those who abandon metal are always false people (posers); they only listened to metal because they thought it was "cool", not even knowing the purpose of metal. Metal is a way of life. If metal is just a phase, then life itself is a phase, too.

One can't get more pretentious than this
23.10.2012 - 20:54
bran

Written by Thrashette on 20.10.2012 at 16:09

If anything, the specific subgenres of metal I listen to are a phase. I've had symphonic, power, death, black, thrash, and folk phases before.

This.
i have been listening to metal for almost 17 years now i got my first metal album when i was 9 and i grew up with metal music my dad would play sabbath, priest,dio,maiden etc

i have got burned out on certain subgenres but i always come back to them about a year ago i listened to a boatload of doom metal and i got burned out but about a month ago i got back into it.

i will never stop listening to metal i will be 80 and still listening to forgotten tomb
----
top 5 albums of 2012 so far.

1. wintersun- time I
2. woods of ypres- woods V grey skies and electric light
3. agalloch- faustian echoes EP
4. the slow death- II
5. kreator- phantom antichrist
23.10.2012 - 21:02
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 23.10.2012 at 20:56

Written by Daniell on 23.10.2012 at 20:33

Written by Guest on 23.10.2012 at 19:53

People say that it's just a phase because they're ignorant. They know nothing about metal at all. And those who abandon metal are always false people (posers); they only listened to metal because they thought it was "cool", not even knowing the purpose of metal. Metal is a way of life. If metal is just a phase, then life itself is a phase, too.

What do you mean?

The part about there being a purpose to metal and it being a way of life. Guess what it isn't. Does it dictate you what to eat, drink, how to sleep, how to live your life, how to vote etc.? Nope, so their is no metal way of life. Listening to metal all day and going to gigs and buying cd's/vinyls/cassette/merch is not a way of life, because it doesn't effect the ones around you and has no impact on the life of others. As for the purpose of metal, that is to entertain, nothing more nothing less.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.10.2012 - 21:05
VPeter

Metal just a phase? Just observe how many metalheads there are in their 20ties and then compare it to metalheads in their 30ties and then to metalheads in their 40ties. It gets smaller and smaller. I already notice people from my age are changing and don't listen to metal anymore.I myself am also kind of guilty to it as of late I listen to a lot of non-metal genres. I doubt however it will fully go away, people will get tired of certain music then change and few years later it suddenly clicks again.
23.10.2012 - 21:25
BlueMobius
Account deleted
Maybe it's a phase for some kids who are just looking for some music to blast to piss of their parents. However, for me, a lot of other listeners, metal is just the music we enjoy and will continue to enjoy.
23.10.2012 - 21:30
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 23.10.2012 at 21:25

However, for me, a lot of other listeners, metal is just the music we enjoy and will continue to enjoy.

I know it is for me

Even when I started listening to it it wasn't piss off my parents, it was because I genuinely liked it. And my parents have always supported me in listening to metal. But then again my dad is a huge jazz fan and my mum was a huge French chansons fan. Mum collected French chansons and went to concerts , same for my dad and jazz. Maybe it helped that they were huge into a genre of music themselves that they could understand me fully immersing in metal.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.10.2012 - 21:54
InnerSelf
proofread free
I don't think I'll ever stop listening to Metal but what I think might happen (and already is) is that I may start listening to other kinds of music besides metal and also I might not be able to listen to as much albums per year as I'm doing now.
What will determine how my listening habits differ, is my lifestyle in the future and this is something I know nothing about for now
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
23.10.2012 - 22:19
Daniell
_爱情_
Written by Guest on 23.10.2012 at 20:56

Written by Daniell on 23.10.2012 at 20:33

What do you mean by "pretentious"?

Pretentious:

full of pretense or pretension.
characterized by assumption of dignity or importance.
making an exaggerated outward show; ostentatious.

The definition number 2 is the closest to what I meant.
Metal is just what it is - a genre of music that is supposed to entertain you. Adding some stupid ideology to it is pointless.
23.10.2012 - 23:30
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
But art is not a way of life
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.10.2012 - 23:40
Fredd
Account deleted
A way of life? Like a religion? Fuck no, not again. As the guys have said, it just entertains. It has this sense of "community" because of its un-mainstream nature but it's not a way of life.
24.10.2012 - 04:12
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Guest on 23.10.2012 at 16:13

Written by Guib on 19.10.2012 at 19:16

I think you misunderstood my point. It's not a matter of respect, but a matter of financial and time priorities. With marriage priorities change, and instead of going to concerts or buying cds, you'll start investing in diapers, school books and other stuff like that. With time you'll simply won't worry about metal as much as before.

I don't really get your point man ? It does not change anything going to shows does not influence the way I listen to metal, I'll still listen to metal as much and I don't think I'll stop buying cds I mean its not expansive enough to make me worry man. really... It is all about respect nothing else. And once ur stable u can go to shows. Why would I stop listening to metal once married ? I mean I'll still drive my car in which I listen to metal, I'll still go to work (in which I'll probly listen to my metal aswell considering I work in a warehouse right now and next year im gonna study the art of lights, sound and building up a stage in montreal so I'll be in shows anyways ... plus, I'll still play electric guitar for fun which is basically playing metal so no I don't see your point at all. Kids or not, I'll show them what metal is, and hopefully I'll teach them to play guitar...
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
25.10.2012 - 02:08
armageddon

I've been listening to metal for 6 years now, and I can't imagine not listening to it in the future.

I think I'll listen to metal until I die! (or until I go deaf )
----
"Whenever you're pissed off, just remember that it's better than being pissed on"