Metal Storm logo
Double-crossing Fools

Written by: Ivor
Published: 08.04.2012

While most of the MS staff were engaged in coming up with and executing an April Fools prank on the users, some of us cheating bastards decided we needed to up the game. As is said in a brilliant movie called Maverick, "there is no more deeply satisfying religious experience... than cheatin' on a cheater." And now you can help decide who of the users is worthy to get a T-shirt.

First of all, on behalf of everybody, thank you those of you who played along. There are over half a thousand of you that can be taken on a scouting mission, seriously. You're as discreet as a chameleon in a tree. Then there are some of you I would rather not take on a scouting mission. Mostly you mean well, but you're the ones that will sneeze at the stakeout at the worst possible moment. Cliché? Yes, but you had a hard time keeping your enthusiasm curbed. Our police force was hard at work to keep you muffled.

?and then there's gotta be a thick-headed conformist suck-up who not only cannot keep his mouth shut and his tongue behind his teeth but actually goes and lays all out at the feet of one of our targets. I'm not naming any names here but you know who you are. You're the kind of guy that let's all the worms out of the can when we go fishing. Yes, I'm talking about you over there. Bad scout. Spoilsport. No-fun... No T-shirt for you. And the next time we'll be having fun, we'll make extra sure you are not having any.

Now, that that's out of the way, here is a selection of love & hate letters sent to MS staff in the course of the prank. We're omitting author names, so you can make a better judgement. Have fun! This vote closes next Sunday night, April 15th 23:59 server time.

No corrections have been made to the messages.

Candidate 1: sent to !J.O.O.E.!

Quote:
Best prog-metal albums of 2011

What a year 2011 was for progressive metal! I didn't know it is your second favorite genre Haken and Redemption released awesome concept albums. Each album clocks in at over 70-minutes each. The musicianship is off-the-charts aided by sooo may time changes your head will spin trying to keep up with the lengthy songs! Veterans Dream Theater and Symphony X churned out solid albums too. The production on these albums is so crisp it makes you wonder what the album would sound like live. They must have spent a fortune making these epic albums. Finally, nothing compares to the sweet voice of Arno Mensas and his new neo-prog band Subsignal. The songs are so emotional and have so much weight and feeling that even one of the songs on the album Touchstones brought me to tears! Well, those were some of the highlights of a very "froggy-proggy" 2011! I was wondering, who did you vote for in the prog metal catagory for the MS awards?

Candidate 2: sent to !J.O.O.E.!

Quote:
Hey hey

Dude,

This is going to sound weird, but I heard you swing both ways?
Is that true??
I always thought the red hair was quirky, but now I get it.

Cheers

Candidate 3: sent to Baz Anderson

Quote:
Are you ok?

It has come to my attention that you don't seem you're usual chirpy and beautiful self. I for one do not like all this negativity, and think you are a magnificently wondrous, kindred spirit; and that you simply deserve more than nihilistic and depressive tendencies. We all love you here, and would be lost without you. Honestly, I think of you constantly, whether I'm driving, trying to get to sleep, taking a late night stroll, in class or having a shower. Thoughts of you always make me smile, no matter what, and I want to return the favor. So know this, I love you, from the bottom of my heart. I want you to be happy. And when I see by your computer, facial expressions drenched in negativity, I just want to hug you. Here is a song that has helped me through many rough times. I sincerely hope you enjoy it, and that you turn that frown upside down

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aorp-zBwYfk

Candidate 4: sent to Doc Godin

Quote:
Will you be my prom date?

Doc,

I've got tux ready. All you need is a perm and a hot dress and then ... we can dance if you want to?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7movKfyTBII&ob=av3e

Will you be mine?

Candidate 5: sent to Marcel Hubregtse

Quote:
You're done (aka: A few grievances I have for 'old' metalhead folks such as yourself...)

I tried to hold back, Marcel, but you've been cruisin' for a bruisin' for far too long. Every single forum you post on drives me to incredulity at your lack of acceptance for any music you don't tend to enjoy yourself. You are the most stereotypical 40+ year old metal fan I've every electronically met, excepting MAYBE only my father. So stop rocking in your chair, turn up your hearing aid, and try to listen attentively to my honest and unbiased explication of your quotidian ways of elderly ignorance

First off, it saddens me to see such a closed-minded, stuck-in-his-ways grayhair in this hip, exciting site replete with all the cool kids. We've been too nice to tell you until you now, but consider this a Nightwish-style open letter firing and yourself the Tarja of the group. We're sorry, but we simply don't like you. It might seem harsh, but it needed to be said. Hopefully whoever remaining family members you have can support you through these troubling times. Just flash your AARP card and you're be sure to attain a decent nursing home.

Remember, we're trying to help you. Don't kill the messenger. Just so this embarrassing incident never happens in the future, here are a few ways to tell you're being an old, self-rightous A-hole:

1) You start a post with "back in my day..."
2) You can't accept any of the musical progression made in the past 25 years and see any deviation from the fundamental roots of Black Sabbath's Paranoid as damnable heresy toward the name of metal.
3) You can't appreciate anything with ANY upbeat, uplifting, or memorable elements. Melody is the enemy!
4) You start boasting about you wealth of early 80s vinyl, including but not limited to rare pressings of Savatage and Mercyful Fate recordings.

We hope you go out quietly and genuinely wish you the best. We'd also like to introduce you to some REAL music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pckMm9k7cJw&feature=fvst

~Yours truly, Metalstormers United ?

Candidate 6: sent to Marcel Hubregtse

Quote:
Ehh What.....

HA!!!! I knew it. The entire dark, inaccesable obscure death/doom/black metal Marcel was nothing but a lie, let me spell it out L....I......E. I always knew secretly down beneath than brutal dutch exterior was a permed long haired, high pitched, plastic sword raising warrior of glory who fights for the light and thinks bad things are stupid. So next time I see you being grumpy old Marcel, I know you'll really be blasting Rhapsody of Fire and Dragonforce, prancing through the metal fields of flower metal.

Candidate 7: sent to MoraWintersoul

Quote:
YOU SUCK!!!

We were hoping that we could get a glimpse of your work on the follow-up to last years' cave metal demo, but u just skipped the entire day blaming it on your hangover. It's because of you that cave metal has still hasn't grown out of its origins. And when the tr00 police find out your guilt pleasure you'll be crucified in a stalagtite naked.

Now, cast your vote!

Poll

Who should get a Metal Storm T-shirt?

Login or register to vote. Results are hidden

Written on 08.04.2012 by I shoot people.

Sometimes, I also write about it.

And one day I'm going to start a band. We're going to be playing pun-rock.

Comments

Comments: 41   Visited by: 299 users
08.04.2012 - 14:35
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
If the Marcel grievance one doesn't win I'll eat my own hair
08.04.2012 - 14:38
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Guest on 08.04.2012 at 14:35

I will join you in that case.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

08.04.2012 - 14:43
Slayer666

Now I'll vote against it, 'cause I wanna see you bald.
08.04.2012 - 14:43
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Slayer666 on 08.04.2012 at 14:43

Now I'll vote against it, 'cause I wanna see you bald.

You really don't. Bald wouldn't suit me.
08.04.2012 - 14:44
Ivor
Staff
staff
This might get crooked yet, with J-s sidebet.

I.
----
No friends for playing games
No foes who scorn my name
Computerized machines of steel and rust
/---/
No friends in my house on Mars
No foes in my house on Mars
I was born in my house on Mars
I will die in my house on Mars
-- Ayreon - My House on Mars
08.04.2012 - 15:11
oroboros
This is pure gold!
08.04.2012 - 15:16
Mattybu
Voted candidate 5.

Hilarity.
08.04.2012 - 17:26
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 08.04.2012 at 14:38
:lol: I will join you in that case.

I'll join you guys as well. Hahahahaha.

Although I found the "Joe goes both ways" to be quite funny but it needed more stuff, it could have been so much more.
Also... Baz listening to a Khanate song, HA!
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
08.04.2012 - 18:14
Slayer666
Hm... I noticed there are no letters directed to BitterCold here. He's just way too fucking intimidating, eh?
08.04.2012 - 18:17
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Ok, candidate 5 all the way
08.04.2012 - 18:35
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Slayer666 on 08.04.2012 at 18:14
Hm... I noticed there are no letters directed to BitterCold here. He's just way too fucking intimidating, eh?

Only a select few (random) Staffers were chosen for this.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
08.04.2012 - 18:53
Ivor
Staff
staff
Written by Troy Killjoy on 08.04.2012 at 18:35

Written by Slayer666 on 08.04.2012 at 18:14

Only a select few (random) Staffers were chosen for this.

Yeah, but BC was amongst them. It's just that Mr. COld deemed your hatemail below his standards. You cannot be a bad-ass mod and make do with average hatemail. It's got to have some finesse to it.

I.
----
No friends for playing games
No foes who scorn my name
Computerized machines of steel and rust
/---/
No friends in my house on Mars
No foes in my house on Mars
I was born in my house on Mars
I will die in my house on Mars
-- Ayreon - My House on Mars
08.04.2012 - 18:55
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Ivor on 08.04.2012 at 18:53
Yeah, but BC was amongst them. It's just that Mr. COld deemed your hatemail below his standards. You cannot be a bad-ass mod and make do with average hatemail. It's got to have some finesse to it.

I.

I forgot he was a target. :/ Huh. I guess between his standards and the shaky-kneed Metal Storm users trying to prank him there really wasn't anything directed at him worth posting.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
08.04.2012 - 19:01
Valentin B
Iconoclast
I knew I should not have sent those PM's at 4 in the morning, I'm pretty sure I could have come up with better stuff to say and end up on this list haha. Just so you people know, I sent Marcel a PM saying I found a really kickass King Diamond video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtO1rZa0k98&feature=related

Also, I think no. 5 will win, almost definitely.
08.04.2012 - 19:16
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Great fun. I think for me Candidate 2 is a clear cut winner.
08.04.2012 - 20:02
Fredd
Account deleted
Hi there, Ivor.
08.04.2012 - 20:06
strade
It was a grand April Fools
----
My lo-fi synth project: http://luciddreamer.bandcamp.com
08.04.2012 - 20:28
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Guest on 08.04.2012 at 20:02

Hi there, Ivor.

Points finger and laughs
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

08.04.2012 - 20:59
Fredd
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 08.04.2012 at 20:28

Written by Guest on 08.04.2012 at 20:02

Hi there, Ivor.

Points finger and laughs

08.04.2012 - 21:33
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
I got about 7 or 8. i think. some of the "hate mail" wasn't too different from what is normally in my inbox.

i was vaguely confused by the zerg of messages, but figured something had to be up. made for an amusing day.

as far as "up to standards" goes, truthfully, Ivor dumped all the messages into a pdf and several of us picked what appears above. so it's not just my standards, but the team collective.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
08.04.2012 - 22:23
Fat & Sassy!
elite
I recently received a message from a user telling me that I was indeed not fat or sassy. ;_; I guess I should have said something about that.
08.04.2012 - 22:24
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 08.04.2012 at 22:23
I recently received a message from a user telling me that I was indeed not fat or sassy. ;_;

Said user obviously doesn't have you as a friend on Facebook.
----
08.04.2012 - 22:25
corrupt
With a lowercase c
admin
Written by Valentin B on 08.04.2012 at 19:01

I knew I should not have sent those PM's at 4 in the morning, I'm pretty sure I could have come up with better stuff to say and end up on this list haha. Just so you people know, I sent Marcel a PM saying I found a really kickass King Diamond video

After the popup, a link appeared in the top menu. You could have re-opened it the whole day
----
08.04.2012 - 22:25
InnerSelf
proofread free
Candidate 3 might have a chance if he/she was a he
voted for 5 anyway
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
08.04.2012 - 22:26
Fat & Sassy!
elite
Written by Troy Killjoy on 08.04.2012 at 22:24

Written by Fat & Sassy! on 08.04.2012 at 22:23
I recently received a message from a user telling me that I was indeed not fat or sassy. ;_;

Said user obviously doesn't have you as a friend on Facebook.

Clearly. u_u
08.04.2012 - 22:33
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by corrupt on 08.04.2012 at 22:25

Written by Valentin B on 08.04.2012 at 19:01

I knew I should not have sent those PM's at 4 in the morning, I'm pretty sure I could have come up with better stuff to say and end up on this list haha. Just so you people know, I sent Marcel a PM saying I found a really kickass King Diamond video

After the popup, a link appeared in the top menu. You could have re-opened it the whole day

well yeah I figured it out, but I thought "well, I fucked it up already, no use in sending any more of these PM's")
09.04.2012 - 00:17
corrupt
With a lowercase c
admin
Written by Valentin B on 08.04.2012 at 22:33
well yeah I figured it out, but I thought "well, I fucked it up already, no use in sending any more of these PM's")

Frankly we were a bit disappointed with the overall resonance monitoring the PMs over the day. Obviously people didn't trust what happened. Maybe if you hadn't thought so, you could have been the proud owner of a new t-shirt in a few days
----
09.04.2012 - 00:31
strade
This makes me kind of curious to see who wrote some of these...
----
My lo-fi synth project: http://luciddreamer.bandcamp.com
09.04.2012 - 05:03
Rulatore
Oh man, candidate 5 must win
09.04.2012 - 18:00
Fredd
Account deleted
Written by corrupt on 09.04.2012 at 00:17

Obviously people didn't trust what happened.

Hello.

Hits total: 6856 | This month: 13