07. Creatio Ex Nihilio
08. In Times Of Silence
09. For Your Glory, Great Deceiver
10. Nisi Credideritis, Non Intelligetis
11. The Motives Of The Machine
12. Singularities
13. Loves
14. The Fire Around The Lotus [bonus]

Rating supplement: Guess who's got herself a new band crush? It's been a while since I attached a 9.0 score to a review, so consider this a wholehearted recommendation.

Quick, what's the first thing that comes to your mind when I say "emotional, stripped down, dismal proggy music"? You're probably thinking Riverside, Porcupine Tree, maybe even Damnation-era Opeth or early 2000's Pain Of Salvation (or, if you're one of the three people on Metal Storm that share my obsessions, Wolverine and Sieges Even/ Subsignal). Well, it looks like a new band joined this pack - I already adore them and you should too.

Out of all the names I've dropped in the first paragraph, Riverside is the band which sounds the closest to Enochian Theory - it's not a coincidence that jupitreas described Enochian Theory's debut as an emotional twin to Riverside's Out Of Myself. But don't think this means Enochian Theory is a clone. They're simply sailing along "The Same River" - walking down a similar path.

All of the tracks are very short for prog standards and for the most part devoid of soloing. Two minutes into the opener you already know what you're up for - fragile-sounding guitar work, playful rhythms and epic, bigger-than-life vocal melodies, all performed by very able musicians. There is also an abundance of synths and orchestral sounds performed by a mysterious entity the band refers to as "The Lost Orchestra". The pace doesn't pick up much throughout the album, but the intensity sure does, so if you can't stand mellow music, seldom but smartly placed guitar riffs with heavy distortion and growled vocals will make you feel right at home.

What is even more impressive than Enochian Theory's song construction is their album construction. Life... And All It Entails has got the best flow I've heard recently, down to every second of the spoken word tracks. Everything fits just like a puzzle - the way "Distances" sets the mood for "Inversions", or the way that growled vocals surface for the first time during "In Times Of Silence" and dominate the whole first half of the following track is priceless.

"Non sum qualis eram... I am not who I once was."

Written on 12.04.2012 by A part of the team since December 2011. 7.0 means the album is good.

Comments page 2 / 2

Comments: 42   Visited by: 354 users
17.04.2012 - 00:40
Rating: 10
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by X-Ray Rod on 16.04.2012 at 22:24

Might check this out considering I know a couple of albums/bands you mentioned.
Also, Hi again!

Hi Rod I've told Marcel to tell you hi a couple of times, but I think he forgot

This is really, really good, between-prog-rock-and-prog-metal kind of prog. Has a lot of emotional content and it's overall pretty amazing. Might end up as my favorite. So if you find time and determination, sure.
----
7.0 means the album is good
17.04.2012 - 00:48
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Milena on 17.04.2012 at 00:40

Written by X-Ray Rod on 16.04.2012 at 22:24

Might check this out considering I know a couple of albums/bands you mentioned.
Also, Hi again!

Hi Rod I've told Marcel to tell you hi a couple of times, but I think he forgot

No he didn't forget. I did got the little messages and I appreciate them.

I really missed the you and all the elite/staffers... The whole community overall
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
17.04.2012 - 02:39
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by X-Ray Rod on 17.04.2012 at 00:48

I really missed the you and all the elite/staffers... The whole community overall

No you didn't. You said you couldn't care less and I even had to force you to try and log in which you refused
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

17.04.2012 - 17:13
Rating: 8
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Where have I seen that album cover before
17.04.2012 - 17:16
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 17.04.2012 at 02:39

No you didn't. You said you couldn't care less and I even had to force you to try and log in which you refused

Aaaand, Rod is caught with his pants down
----
17.04.2012 - 17:17
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by R'Vannith on 17.04.2012 at 17:13

Where have I seen that album cover before

It reminds me of something too, but I have no idea what could it be.
----
22.04.2012 - 19:23
Ethereal Tantrum

Thanks to everyone who takes the time to check us out...and thanks once more for the excellent review, me lady.
:-)

Ben
----
www.enochiantheory.co.uk
05.06.2012 - 08:27
Rating: 8
R'Vannith
ghedengi
I've been wracking my brains to try and figure out who Ben's vocals remind me of. And it's finally hit me, sounds like a mix between Duda of Riverside and Englund of Evergrey. Very engrossing in any case.
05.06.2012 - 10:10
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by R'Vannith on 05.06.2012 at 08:27

I've been wracking my brains to try and figure out who Ben's vocals remind me of. And it's finally hit me, sounds like a mix between Duda of Riverside and Englund of Evergrey. Very engrossing in any case.

Nailed it right on the head. Ben's a damn fine singer.
----
05.09.2012 - 12:12
Rating: 9
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Finally got around to listen to this album and now I'm beating myself up for not doing it earlier! This is beautiful stuff.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
04.01.2013 - 07:28
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
I find myself enjoying the beginning and end of this album, but have been losing interest during the middle. That second track "This Aching Isolation" started out reminding me of Tool, which caught my attention when I first listened and the final track "Loves" is phenomenal. The music does meander between both straightforward neo-prog and the heavier, somewhat "mystical" prog metal elements. Then there are the experimental/art rock sections that really throw you for a loop. I was trying to catch up with all of last year's releases and it seems I am going to have to give this one more of an effort. The singer reminds me of Peter Gabriel at times, but he still hasn't won me over completely. Great review for challenging album (in terms of progressive metal).
04.01.2013 - 16:57
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by Introspekrieg on 04.01.2013 at 07:28

I find myself enjoying the beginning and end of this album, but have been losing interest during the middle. That second track "This Aching Isolation" started out reminding me of Tool, which caught my attention when I first listened and the final track "Loves" is phenomenal. The music does meander between both straightforward neo-prog and the heavier, somewhat "mystical" prog metal elements. Then there are the experimental/art rock sections that really throw you for a loop. I was trying to catch up with all of last year's releases and it seems I am going to have to give this one more of an effort. The singer reminds me of Peter Gabriel at times, but he still hasn't won me over completely. Great review for challenging album (in terms of progressive metal).

After several months with this album I would have written a little better one, I think. It's by far my favorite release in 2012 anyway. Glad you gave it some time of your day!
----

Hits total: 9557 | This month: 14