08. Knife Party
09. Korea
10. Passenger
11. Change (In The House Of Flies)
12. Pink Maggit

Guest review by
manic
Rating:
What goes on in the head of Chino Moreno? Now this is not just about the lyrics of this album, this said-to-be the best Deftones album till now. And I agree. But still, from where does he get the inspiration, from where does he get the mood? Chino himself has said that the lyrics are just emotions from an instant of time, a shard of an event. But what makes the lyrics so complete and special is the vocabulary Chino uses - what words he uses, how he lines them up, how he pronounces and how he twists them. And again, it's not only about lyrics.

Read more ››
published 06.11.2005 | Comments (7)

Found in 21 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 23   Visited by: 676 users
17.04.2012 - 02:40
Rating: 9
musicalkaratekid

I'll probably get a lot of hate replies for saying this, but i believe Deftones to be one of the most unique and iconic bands ever to have existed. Their music has so much variation and diversity, that it's hard not to at least like one of their songs. With 'White Pony', they had reached their creative peak, and were yet to become an even bigger band with a sound all theirs. The mindblowing overtones of 'Digital Bath', distorted and disturbing voice running throughout 'Elite', and that extremely haunting closer 'Pink Maggit' are just three examples of how uniquely significant this album is for the 21st Century. It's just coincidence that it was released in the wake of the new millenium. Some may say this album is overrated, but i have to disagree completely. They really don't make albums like this anymore, for many reasons.
17.04.2012 - 03:51
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by musicalkaratekid on 17.04.2012 at 02:40

I'll probably get a lot of hate replies for saying this, but i believe Deftones to be one of the most unique and iconic bands ever to have existed.

You are talking about Deftones right? The band that started off as a totall Korn rip-off (just like Coal Chamber) and never put all their Korn influences aside.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

17.04.2012 - 04:09
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 17.04.2012 at 03:51

You are talking about Deftones right? The band that started off as a totall Korn rip-off (just like Coal Chamber) and never put all their Korn influences aside.

Deftones aren't anywhere near nu-metal anymore though. Listen to Diamond Eyes, nothing whatsoever Korn-like about it.
17.04.2012 - 06:45
Rating: 8
Unhealer
Eclecticist

Leaving aside the fact that I believe that is absolutely not true, Deftones formed in 1988/89 and Korn in 1992/93; so you should at least invert that statement.
17.04.2012 - 13:06
musicalkaratekid

I'll probably get a lot of hate replies for saying this, but i believe Deftones to be one of the most unique and iconic bands ever to have existed.

I am. A total-Korn Rip-off you say? Deftones' music is much maturer in my opinion.
30.05.2012 - 19:13
Zombie94

There's a bit of filler on here. Some great tracks here as well though like 'Back To School', 'Knife Party' and 'Passenger' which have a really laid back feel to them and nice groove. I like this band because, like kratekid up there said, they are quite unique sounding for a 'nu metal' band, or whatever you would decide to label the music on this album. Personally I think it has a much more alternative feel to it.
09.09.2012 - 13:58
Monolithic
♠♠♠
Deftones' greatest album. It's a shame I got to know these guys after a long time.
02.02.2013 - 06:08
squidrick420

Classic album, I love it. Not my favorite Deftones album, but it is my 2nd favorite. There is a level of ambiance that you get from listening to this album that is just plain cool, some songs like passenger and pink maggot blow my mind even after listening to them years later.
04.04.2013 - 22:17
Metropolis_Dream
Account deleted
God, this album is just great, i dont care if its so called "Nu" metal. This is probably the best Deftones album, with each song being memorable and unique. A small amount of filler songs is the reason why i dont rate it with a 10.
29.05.2014 - 22:32
Rating: 5
Big-Al

So, this album was based around a cocaine addiction...?

Sure this band has some talent & this is in my collection but no mater how much I try I just can not enjoy it or appreciate it.
----

I drink moosepiss
27.08.2015 - 20:20
Constantine
Account deleted
Great album, the song "Digital Bath" is one of the most brutal and beautiful things I've listened to in these past months.
28.08.2015 - 12:27
Ganondox

Deftones is actually older than Korn and they're both from the same area, so who knows who influenced who. Even when they both played nu metal they didn't sound that much alike, sure they both took from hip-hop, were expirimental, and minimalistic, but Korn was like industrial funk while Deftones was like *post*-thrash.
06.09.2017 - 06:42
Rating: 3
DeathMetal

Not. A. Fan. Although the first half of Passenger is pretty good, everything else is terrible.
08.08.2019 - 05:12
Rating: 7
SebaRaven36

The best delivery that has given deftones, this album is completely of quality that fills you with energy
06.03.2021 - 00:27
(o> . )

Hmm, I was avoiding this band for a long time, but now I'm checking out this album as it's their most critically acclaimed one and it's pretty damn solid. A few of the songs are a bit meh, but the rest are interesting enough.
09.08.2021 - 17:09
Rating: 10
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
12.01.2022 - 15:02
nonZero

I don't really see what's so great about this album or Deftones as a whole. Overrated band and album IMO.
----
Top 500 Albums (ordered & rated)
Top 200 Overlooked Albums (with genres)
So I Heard You Like Wintersun... (Time II find new bands)
18.01.2022 - 01:27
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
This album is so good. Great mixture of heavy and light tones. Almost feels Post-like in places.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
07.07.2022 - 20:30
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
The sound this band delivers is so unique, I've never heard anything like it, and just like previous releases the songwriting is very good, this one even more so, and like above mentioned there's a wee post-metal vibe, especially in the softer parts, but I'm also getting a shoegaze vibe too. The album as a whole Isn't the most exciting to listen too, and there is a few tracks that have never really clicked with me, but as a whole the album is very good, you can tell alot of feeling and emotion has went into this, which is something that not many bands from this scene possessed.

The main highlight of the album for me is the excellent drumming, in fact it's probably one of the best drumming performances I've heard. "Knife Party" is one of the highlights for me, the female wailing reminds me of "Great Gig In The Sky", other highlights for me are "Korea", and my favourite track on the album "Passenger", so obviously I find the second half of the album superior to the first half.
13.07.2022 - 20:53
Jack_Torrance

This is rated way too low here, belongs in the top 200
24.07.2022 - 19:58
Drippy.Hippie

Great album to listen to while smoking the ganja

Especially "Digital Bath". I swear, just last night I got toasted, felt nostalgic and streamed this one. It put me in such a deep meditation. Chino's chill vocals paired with the heavy guitars never cease to amaze me.

I used to have this record until I sold it to this older English kid back in high school. I truly do regret doing that, had that been now, I would have never sold it. Right music at the wrong time
----
What is the difference between the man who fools you from the pulpit, and the other man who fools you from the platform?
Both of them seek to obtain power over you - To rule your mind, control your property interests or labor power.
01.09.2022 - 12:04
VileVick-Bryant

Written by Jack_Torrance on 13.07.2022 at 20:53

This is rated way too low here, belongs in the top 200

To be far 84 isn't really low I know it's not a 87 or 88 but still 84 is still pretty high.
12.09.2023 - 10:01
gavdann

Written by Unhealer on 17.04.2012 at 06:45

Leaving aside the fact that I believe that is absolutely not true, Deftones formed in 1988/89 and Korn in 1992/93; so you should at least invert that statement.

Irrelevent really. Deftones in '88 sounded nothing like the 90's version of themselves. Adreneline was released after the debut Korn album and it WAS a ripoff. Take just one listen to "Bored" and it's impossible to deny.

White Pony was where they found their own identify. For me it's their best album, but I haven't listened to their more recent records as I lost interest in all of these bands a long time ago.

Hits total: 14244 | This month: 53