03. Ghosts Of Grace
04. Away From The Light
05. Your True Enemy
06. Code Negative
07. Omnivore
08. Seasick, Part I: Drowned At Dusk
09. Seasick, Part II: Oceanborne
10. Seasick, Part III: Silent Sunrise

Nachtmystium was started as a raw black metal band back in the year 2000. Since then, the overall sound has changed a lot. In fact, the changes were so big that it was possible to think that new Nachtmystium records were released by another band. Don't get surprised by that. When a band change their sound from black metal to psychedelic/experimental craze, it is not uncommon that they confuse their listeners. There's quite a gigantic gap between Pink Floyd-esque psychedelic touches and relentless, harsh black metal riffs. Assassins: Black Meddle, Part 1 does a great job at exposing this difference.

Assassins: Black Meddle, Part 1 kicks off with a 2-minute intro by the name of "One Of These Nights". After that, we get to have a shot at Nachtmystium's best offering here: The title track, "Assassins". That song consists of some melodic tremolo riffs, solid basslines, strong blast beats and some surprisingly decipherable shrieks. "Ghosts Of Grace" follows, and it basically does what "Assassins" did, even though it is a bit weaker. However, it is a gem compared to what remains of the record; After "Ghosts Of Grace", Assassins: Black Meddle, Part 1 suffers from a drop of consistency and quality. You expect awesomeness, but you get mediocrity at best.

The music itself is simple. Apart from some solos (and "Assassins"), you get some standard BM riffs and blasts, dissonant arpeggios, and some calm passages. As a matter of fact, I don't think there's much black metal nor psychedelic music in here. Despite its fine originality, Assassins: Black Meddle, Part 1 has a flaw of the sound being lost between those two genres. You've got a BM song, then a weaker non-BM song and then a short filler. I expected the "Seasick" trilogy to be something epic, but it turned out to be a collection of filler tracks.

On a more positive side, Nachtmystium don't fail in conjuring a melancholic atmosphere. Aided by those misanthropic vocals, the music is usually hateful and angry. As stated previously, there are some excellent tracks. "Assassins" and "Ghosts Of Grace" are probably the best, but also, even though it is on a lesser level of awesomeness, you have "Your True Enemy". Moreover, the album isn't that lengthy. It tends to pass quickly, and isn't hurt. The production is very nicely executed; you can hear everything well. To summarize this all, Nachtmystium's Assassins: Black Meddle, Part 1 is a decent blackish album. Even though it has a few filler tracks, it is a nice misanthropic, not-so-black metal albums with some Pink Floyd-ish solos, dissonance and mighty vocals. Give it a shot for some fun.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 9
Production: 9

Written by Oaken | 16.04.2012

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 11   Visited by: 68 users
17.04.2012 - 10:35
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
It's not easy describing an album like this and I think you did a pretty good job. Normally I'd say this review is a step back compared to some of your most recent ones but in all honesty you can't expect someone to review this "properly" unless it's Joe or Rozz.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
17.04.2012 - 11:45
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 17.04.2012 at 10:35

It's not easy describing an album like this and I think you did a pretty good job. Normally I'd say this review is a step back compared to some of your most recent ones but in all honesty you can't expect someone to review this "properly" unless it's Joe or Rozz.

Well I would have been far less kind had I reviewed this so probably for the best it wasn't me Actually though I've been thinking of giving this another go sometime.
17.04.2012 - 12:27
Rating: 7
Oaken
Hipster
Written by Troy Killjoy on 17.04.2012 at 10:35

I've been as honest as possible. To me, I find this very empty. No focus on Bm, no focus on psychedelic elements. This produces a lot of filler. And the drop of consistency (and climax) damages the album a lot. If they put "Assassins" in the second half, it would've been a better experience.
And: I'm no reviewer, just trying to get my com points to 100, so you'll probably only see 2-3 more reviews.
----
In that case, man is only air as well.
17.04.2012 - 16:11
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Oaken on 17.04.2012 at 12:27
To me, I find this very empty. And: I'm no reviewer, just trying to get my com points to 100, so you'll probably only see 2-3 more reviews.

You find an album very empty so you compliment it and give it a 7.6/10 and then admit to only writing because you want community points.

-_-
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
17.04.2012 - 16:12
Oaken
Hipster
Written by Troy Killjoy on 17.04.2012 at 16:11

To me, I find this very empty. And: I'm no reviewer, just trying to get my com points to 100, so you'll probably only see 2-3 more reviews.

You find an album very empty so you compliment it and give it a 7.6/10 and then admit to only writing because you want community points.

-_-

----
17.04.2012 - 16:43
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Guest on 17.04.2012 at 11:45
Well I would have been far less kind had I reviewed this so probably for the best it wasn't me

I meant for like, objective description purposes, regardless of what you personally thought of it. I just imagine you and Rozz as our most descriptive reviewers when it comes to like... weird stuff that needs further explaining than normal.

Oh, and jup. He's good at that too.
----
17.04.2012 - 17:11
R'Vannith
ghedengi

I'm no reviewer

That's funny, I could have sworn I just read a review? Of course you're a reviewer, you just wrote one.
17.04.2012 - 17:46
Oaken
Hipster
Written by R'Vannith on 17.04.2012 at 17:11

I'm no reviewer

That's funny, I could have sworn I just read a review? Of course you're a reviewer, you just wrote one.

Again:
----
25.04.2012 - 03:04
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Points to you for the honesty
This review is good dude, you should consider not stopping.

I've been thinking of checking out this one lately, I'll give it a shot right away.
25.04.2012 - 15:59
Oaken
Hipster
Written by Unhealer on 25.04.2012 at 03:04

This review is good dude, you should consider not stopping.

I'm not stopping.
----
04.11.2012 - 23:30
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Good review, but I have to disagree with you on Seasick, that's personally my favorite track on the album... that or Omnivore.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII

Hits total: 3693 | This month: 10