07. Back In Control
08. A Light In The Black
09. Metal Crüe
10. Für Immer [Doro cover] [2010 Re-Armed Edition bonus]
11. Långa Bollar På Bengt [Svenne Rubins cover] [2010 Re-Armed Edition bonus]
12. Metal Medley [live] [2010 Re-Armed Edition bonus]
13. Nightchild [2010 Re-Armed Edition bonus]
14. Primo Victoria [demo] [2010 Re-Armed Edition bonus]

17 Months after the release of Primo Victoria, an album which received a lot of very good reviews and overwhelming praise from metalheads in the whole world, Sabaton is back.

The first thing that caught my attention, apart from the rather sinister cover art, is how the built of this album is similar to that of Primo Victoria. Both CDs are named after the first track of the album, which has a Latin name [Attero Dominatus = Attack, Dominate] and are composed of nine songs, the eighth being a ballad and the last one being the only song not about war. The lyrics of the last song are made mostly out of the names of famous and influential bands.

Now to the music:
What can I say? It is still extremely epic, highly bombastic, quite heavy, very melodic and exceedingly catchy, so not much has changed since their last release. Don't let these words fool you though; this is not a second Primo Victoria. This time it's a bit harder to fully get into. It sounds more polished, less catchy, and often slower, it is more heavy metal influenced and there is also a high number of solos on this CD, however none of them outstanding.

The big downsides of this album though, are tracks number three and six though. While the sixth track, Angels Are Calling, isn't in itself a bad song it clearly doesn't live up to the high standard we have come to expect from Sabaton songs. The third track, Rise Of Evil, however, is in my eyes a total failure at trying to make a very epic song. Something Sabaton certainly don't need, as all their other songs are already extremely epic next to being very powerful. This song on the other hand, is very weak, and at 8 minutes much too long for the too low amount of variation.

Apart from these two songs though the whole album grows on you, at first listen I thought of the whole album as clearly inferior to Primo Victoria. But now I actually like the two CDs equally. Here the higher technical standard makes up for the lower level of catchiness, yet it still catchy enough that you will be loudly singing along after three listens at most.

Highlights: Attero Dominatus, Light In The Black

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 10
Originality: 7
Production: 9

Written by Bas | 02.11.2006

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 9   Visited by: 114 users
03.11.2006 - 19:03
Baz Anderson

yep, i agree more or less
the music is similar to that on the last album - but there are a couple on this new album that i didnt think were too fantastic
overall i think it is a great album though

theres suppsoed to be another new one early next year too - so i hope that doesnt decrease in quality. hopefully they arent just using leftovers from older albums
03.11.2006 - 19:54
Rating: 9
Bas
Retired Staff
well like i said in the Sabaton thread im afraid they are just knocking out albums as fast as possible for the money...

i hope im wrong, but the next album will tell i suppose
----
BAS - Beautifully Accented Sexiness
16.11.2006 - 01:27
Rating: 8
Spyroid
Rosetta Stoned
Rise of Evil is, like you said, a really bad attempt to make an epic. Good point!
But hey, Metal Crüe is simply the best song! I've had the chorus stuck in my head for half a year now ^^
10.05.2009 - 20:51
Rating: 10
Heart_of_METAL

The third track, Rise Of Evil, however, is in my eyes a total failure at trying to make a very epic song.

Are you crazy? Rise of Evil is one of the best Sabaton´s song. When I heared Attero Dominatus for a first time, I turned this song again and again. But everyone have another taste, I know.
30.09.2009 - 11:23
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
It is hard to tell, but probably this is their weakest piece...but still so better than so many albums...
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

29.05.2010 - 11:43
Twan 4188

I quite like Rise of Evil. But my favorite still is Nuclear Attack.
08.03.2011 - 01:30
Tsk! [BR]
Account deleted
You say angels calling and Rise Of Evil are failures...Well,i agree with the track angels calling,but disagree with the rise of evil!Rise of evil is one of the best sabaton songs!
"We Burn" is the poor track of the album,along with angels calling.
13.12.2018 - 20:49
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Ellrohir on 30.09.2009 at 11:23

It is hard to tell, but probably this is their weakest piece...but still so better than so many albums...

Now we caqn tell, but when it was out you cant judge band after 2 albums, IMO you can after 5
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
15.12.2018 - 22:30
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Written by Bad English on 13.12.2018 at 20:49

but when it was out you cant judge band after 2 albums, IMO you can after 5

I judged in 2009, so there were 4 albums out
----
My rest seems now calm and deep