08. As The Palaces Burn
09. Blacken The Cursed Sun
10. Laid To Rest
11. Redneck
12. Black Label
13. Digital Sands [iTunes bonus]
14. Vigil [live] [iTunes bonus]
15. Bury Me Under The Sun [Japanese edition bonus]

Remember when Lamb Of God were busy pioneering never-before-heard-of, genre-bending, boundary-pushing, avant-garde experimental transcendental music? Neither does anyone else. Resolution won't change the way you listen to the band's music either. Unless you continue to listen with the speakers off.

Okay, it's not that bad.* Really. But it's entirely void of the anger and spite that brought these alternative thrashers to the forefront of the pure American metal scene in the first place. It just comes across as routine now: by-the-numbers "redneck" metal for the masses. Not that they've taken a major step in any kind of new direction, but Resolution sounds like a collection of rejected demo songs from anything post-Ashes with a sexified production. Essentially some uninspired half-assed ideas that end at the beginning and don't even begin with much to their name in the first place.

Is it still safe to label them a groove metal band? Of course. The problem with that is the complete lack of anything else. You can't just write 14 songs that don't evolve beyond the single intro-hook combination. It's no different than listening to the repeated chorus from any hit pop single from the past decade, only instead of some annoyingly catchy vocal lines, you just get Randy shouting over some mild, run-of-the-mill thrashing. Yawn much.

That's pretty much all there is to say about such a one-dimensional release, an album that relies solely on a single recycled riff for nearly an hour. That's right. Just imagine listening to the thrash equivalent of Justin Bieber's "Baby" for 60 minutes.

* I lied. It's bad.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 7
Songwriting: 4
Originality: 5
Production: 9

Written on 18.04.2012 by I'm total pro; that's what I'm here for.

Guest review by
Ace Frawley
Rating:
Resolution is the seventh studio album by American band Lamb Of God. It contains 14 tracks and has a running time of around 56-minutes. It sees the band consolidate their position as one of the most popular American metal bands of the last decade. Their familiar sound is still there on this album but it also contains some unexpected moments that show their willingness to experiment and evolve.

Read more ››
published 30.12.2012 | Comments (7)

Guest review by
flightoficarus
Rating:
After the somewhat experimental, uneven Sacrament and phoned-in blandness of Wrath, Lamb of God return with a vengeance on Resolution. Listening to this is like erasing the past 8 years and picking up right where the excellent Ashes Of The Wake left off.

From the first dirty, southern guitar chords to Randy's shriek, I am back in high school again. The production is crystal clear, but not washed out. "Walk With Me In Hell," though a great song, sounded like it was recorded in a tin can, and Wrath in general was so compressed it felt like a SNES soundtrack. This is a return to the riff machine that made these guys top dogs to begin with. The guitar-work is fast, tight, and just plain fun. If you were one of the people who went racing for tabs after hearing "Laid To Rest" the first time, this is the album for you. There are too many moments to name, but the intro transition on "Ghost Walking," and the relentless "Terminally Unique" stick out in my mind at the moment.

Read more ››
published 04.11.2014 | Comments (8)

Comments page 3 / 4

Comments: 107   Visited by: 504 users
18.04.2012 - 21:53
Fritillaria
Account deleted
Quote:
Written by Guest on 18.04.2012 at 20:36
If I wanted to mention their best yeah then it would be Ashes of the Wake

I think that's the universal opinion of LoG's magnum opus.

I'm sure the quality of their music relates to the amount of war-related topics they have to write about. With the States effectively "finished" with the war on terror, LoG seem to be running out of inspiration.

YEAH I firmly agree with you Troy,They'd better broaden their horizon on different aspects of life. But that's the lyrical side of their music.They seem ran out of inspirations for their instruments
18.04.2012 - 22:22
Rating: 6
Dani5050

I'm glad to know I was not the only one that thinks this album sucks , good review.
18.04.2012 - 22:26
Rating: 5
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Dani5050 on 18.04.2012 at 22:22
I'm glad to know I was not the only one that thinks this album sucks , good review.

Thanks. I was honestly expecting more of a negative backlash but it seems like the majority of people commenting felt about the same as I did. This is the first time I've really been disappointed by LoG so it's strange territory for me.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
18.04.2012 - 22:33
Dani5050

Written by Troy Killjoy on 18.04.2012 at 22:26

Written by Dani5050 on 18.04.2012 at 22:22

Thanks. I was honestly expecting more of a negative backlash but it seems like the majority of people commenting felt about the same as I did. This is the first time I've really been disappointed by LoG so it's strange territory for me.

I understand ,I questioned myself after the third listen thought it was just me being negative.
18.04.2012 - 23:52
the stranger

Reading the review and the comments makes me wanna check out their previous stuff. Specially Ashes of the Wake. I'll guess that was the intention of the reviewer.
19.04.2012 - 00:06
Void Eater
Account deleted
Written by Nosurper on 18.04.2012 at 13:40

, LOG get bieber on drums, bieber gets some latin drumming going on, band dials it back mariachi style to produce some wicked themes for axe deodorants and body washes.

Biebs is actually a pretty sik drummer, bro.

19.04.2012 - 00:06
Nosurper
Stinky Lips
Yep
----
19.04.2012 - 00:18
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by the stranger on 18.04.2012 at 23:52
Reading the review and the comments makes me wanna check out their previous stuff. Specially Ashes of the Wake. I'll guess that was the intention of the reviewer.

It was actually my intent to let readers know you might as well just stick to the band's back catalog since this is such a tame version of their older releases, but I suppose indirectly that means I'm recommending albums like Ashes of the Wake to newcomers.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
19.04.2012 - 00:25
Kwis

Started enjoying these guys the past 2 years after listening to Sacrament and continuing through the rest of the discography. Randy still spits out the words hard enough to give King Kong a fucking seizure and the opening of this album is as strong as ever. Sure, there are quite a few "filler" songs on this album, but damnit, they are still heavy as shit, and *#$% my ass, The Undertow be a slammin' song man, yo.
19.04.2012 - 00:44
Ornusashas

This album was awesome.
----
Need to make a living somehow... http://creamandpowder.com/
19.04.2012 - 00:59
Regolith

Written by Butters49 on 18.04.2012 at 19:32

I really love log

Everbody loves log. "What rolls downstairs alone or in pairs and over your neighbor's dog? What's great for a snack and fits on your back? It's log, log, log!"
19.04.2012 - 01:17
BlueMobius
Account deleted
Somebody raped my comment.
19.04.2012 - 01:19
Rating: 7
Sonic MrSumo

Whilst it's certainly not their strongest offering, it still has some great moments (such as Insurrection and King Me) and is far away from being a bad album. King Me leaves me wondering "where to next for LOG?", which I think is cool.

Also, I understand it's very difficult taking relativity out of judgement, but I think people would rate this far higher if they'd never heard another LOG release prior to listening to this.
----
All the bridges in the world won't save you, if there's no other side to cross to.
- Rock poetry from Silverchair.
19.04.2012 - 01:21
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Guest on 19.04.2012 at 01:17
Somebody raped my comment.

There seems to be a lot of weird things going on with comments in this thread. :/
----
19.04.2012 - 07:16
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Guest on 19.04.2012 at 00:06

Written by Nosurper on 18.04.2012 at 13:40

, LOG get bieber on drums, bieber gets some latin drumming going on, band dials it back mariachi style to produce some wicked themes for axe deodorants and body washes.

Biebs is actually a pretty sik drummer, bro.

I'm stoned to see some kick sick drumming from some random boy saying "give it to me" but honestly "yo, he ain't better than Vitek" homie.
19.04.2012 - 09:50
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
I understand the message, but more argumentation would improve this review because essentially you are repeating the same idea every paragraph; some examples would be nice (unless every song follows the same structure, which, as far as I remember, they don't - "King Me" is quite interesting).
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
19.04.2012 - 12:41
Svneatr
Vitharr
King Me is definetly a highlight, but it's pretty much the only one. Boring release, and a fucking snoozer in the middle, the worst being Guilty.
19.04.2012 - 16:10
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by K✞ulu on 19.04.2012 at 09:50
...you are repeating the same idea every paragraph...

Sort of like how LoG repeat the same riff every song.

Sometimes I try to be a little artsy like that.
----
19.04.2012 - 16:20
Ag Fox
Angel No More
I thought King Me was pretty good too. But the last line of the review about Bieber was definitely a lol XD
----
loves 小巫
19.04.2012 - 16:21
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Ag Fox on 19.04.2012 at 16:20
I thought King Me was pretty good too. But the last line of the review about Bieber was definitely a lol XD

King Me is definitely the only thing I'd recommend to anyone in regards to this album. It's just really annoying that they make you wait nearly an hour to get there.

Glad you like the Bieber reference... sometimes my jokes don't do so well. :/
----
19.04.2012 - 17:00
Ag Fox
Angel No More
It was a bit harsh (obviously funny), but almost true, because I couldn't really tell the songs apart myself
----
loves 小巫
19.04.2012 - 19:00
Rating: 9
RockeRoy

I have to disagree when you say "Not that they've taken a major step in any kind of new direction," when they have clearly taken a major step in a new direction.. towards the progressive and melodic, Insurrection
and Terminally Unique are clearly examples of that. Maybe their two best songs ever IMO. And you have King Me with the orcestral and operatic female vocal. If thats not a Step in any kind of direction, i don't know what is. And we have the doom-ish opening track Straight for the sun.
Sure you have a few Redneck kind of songs in Desolation, Ghost walking and To the end, To the end is maybe their moast boaring song ever though.
I think Randys vocal performance is his best to date, and he even sings a few lines with clean vocal and does that excellently.
The solos have never been better either.... For me this is right up there with Ashes and Palaces, only ina different way
----
You found god? If nobody claims him in thirty days, he's yours

Walk with me in hell
19.04.2012 - 19:05
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Progressive, melodic, orchestration, operatic female vocals, doom-ish...

I think we listened to different albums. "King Me" is the only song I listened to that had any semblance of those elements and it was only after 50+ minutes of meandering, uninspired, generic thrash.
----
19.04.2012 - 19:35
Illog1cal
Account deleted
Ever since Ashes of the Wake this band has been producing identical albums, this was a total dissapointment. The only good song is the last just like on Wrath, they are sufficient at the epic endings on their albums. Cannibal Corpse is more original than this...
19.04.2012 - 21:40
RockeRoy

Written by Troy Killjoy on 19.04.2012 at 19:05

Progressive, melodic, orchestration, operatic female vocals, doom-ish...

I think we listened to different albums. "King Me" is the only song I listened to that had any semblance of those elements and it was only after 50+ minutes of meandering, uninspired, generic thrash.

What i said was towards the progressive and melodic, what i mean is that alot of the songs have more a progressive and melodic approach to it than previous albums. Can't realy see how you can't hear that, as i find it indeniable in songs like Terminally Unique and Insurrection. I don't say it's prog or melodic death metal.
The orchestration and operatic female vocals are exclusively on King me and the doom-ish are exclusively on straight for the sun. All in all i think they have evolved, taken their signature sound added more melodic parts and mixed it with a progressive way of thinking.
----
You found god? If nobody claims him in thirty days, he's yours

Walk with me in hell
26.04.2012 - 18:50
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Haven't even heard a single riff of of this...

Oh wait, I listened to Ashes Of The Wake, so I lied.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
26.04.2012 - 19:03
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Boxcar Willy on 26.04.2012 at 18:50

There isn't anything about this album that's reminiscent of Ashes.
----
26.04.2012 - 19:05
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Troy Killjoy on 26.04.2012 at 19:03

Oh, well... I er... um..
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
09.05.2012 - 03:32
Scorpyin

Written by Troy Killjoy on 26.04.2012 at 19:03

You can't listen to undertow without hearing bits of ashes! I dunno why everyone hates this album so much, its not WORSE than anything they've previously released. Otherwise, this is EXACTLY the sound you should expect from lamb of god, I don't see why this album is so hated... (unless you hate the band to begin with, in which case, shutup and go listen to something you DO like...)
09.05.2012 - 06:09
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Scorpyin on 09.05.2012 at 03:32
You can't listen to undertow without hearing bits of ashes! I dunno why everyone hates this album so much, its not WORSE than anything they've previously released. Otherwise, this is EXACTLY the sound you should expect from lamb of god, I don't see why this album is so hated... (unless you hate the band to begin with, in which case, shutup and go listen to something you DO like...)

That's just inaccurate. Honestly I hope the majority of fans hate this - it shows that they expect more. Because this album is literally the most stripped down version of everything they've done. Ashes is practically progressive/technical thrash by comparison, as this album beats the same bland riff into your head repeatedly.

It should remind you of their previous works though. Because every idea from their back catalog has been simplified and condensed in order to release this monotonous drivel.

PS these guys were one of my favorite bands, and I still listen to Ashes regularly. I even listen to a few tracks from Sacrament and Wrath from time to time.
----

Hits total: 10086 | This month: 20