2 - Part Two - Deception
    3 - Part Three - The Impossible
    4 - Part Four - Perfection
    5 - Part Five - Epiphany
    6 - Part Six - Origin
04. Sunrise
05. April
06. Eden

The word "djent" has been on lots of lips recently. Fans, haters, and unbelievers have a word or two regarding what apparently is a growing branch of the metal scene, "accidentally" referred to after an onomatopoeia. Whatever is your opinion on this, it's undeniable that there is a rather talented group of bands revolving around the concept of taking Meshuggah's legacy to further extents, and TesseracT is one of the first bands of the pack that have caught the attention of a considerable amount of ears by pursuing this task.

One is an album that relies heavily on groove, with clean and distorted parts for balance. The band insists on maintaining a syncopated rhythm skeleton at all times and rarely reaching fast tempos. There are very few chord-based sections or relentless palm-muted thrashes, and don't even think about tremolo picking. The guitar work mostly consists of 7-string groovy riffs that shift between low and high notes, clean arpeggios and some peaceful leads to add some ambiance; but even when the guitar leads go for another approach, the rhythm section of the band will still keep a tight groove with the drums and a percussive bass.

It seems the band insisted on giving themselves sort of an identity by focusing on this signature sound, but as a result there is an evident lack of diversity and the record can get tiring as the mid-tempo groove goes on and on until the very last bit of an album that clocks around 55 minutes.

Vocally, the already ex-singer Dan Tompkins impresses with his flawless high pitched singing and delivers with mid-ranged screams that denote an effort to keep his vocals chords away from danger. Both types of singing are spread equally throughout the record, but perhaps the clean vocals feel a bit more prominent with all the studio spice applied on them. The production sounds extremely digital and compressed, but this is just another premise of this musical style. Every instrument is carefully processed through several gadgets and a fair amount of effects are added, mainly for the clean guitar parts. This gives a virtual feeling to the whole thing despite the fact that every note is human-executed.

TesseracT delivered with a sound that may be appealing for metalcore, progressive, and probably some melodeath fans. Only the future will tell if this so-called djent genre will prevail on metal history as a die-fast trend or actually provide an interesting bundle of fresh sounding music to look up to; and these British guys are surely heading for the latter path.

Outstanding songs: "Nascent", "Concealing Fate"

Watch the entire outstanding studio performance of "Concealing Fate" uploaded by the band here.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 7
Production: 8

Written by Unhealer | 19.04.2012

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 7   Visited by: 85 users
19.04.2012 - 10:23
Nosurper
Stinky Lips
Good stuff. guys are impressive musicians. nice addition of the video too
----
19.04.2012 - 10:50
Nosurper
Stinky Lips
"Only the future will tell if this so-called djent genre will prevail on metal history as a die-fast trend or actually provide an interesting bundle of fresh sounding music to look up to; and these British guys are surely heading for the latter path."

Agreed
----
20.04.2012 - 13:41
Rating: 8
Panterica

I happened to really like this album. Sure, you won't find much diversity in it, but still it's a very enjoyable album.
----
Li'ed - Prog-Metal from Jerusalem
https://open.spotify.com/artist/7aZWDrAAvDSLMaSmDSE8zA
https://www.facebook.com/LiedBandMusic
http://lied-band.bandcamp.com/
20.04.2012 - 23:41
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by Nosurper on 19.04.2012 at 10:23

Good stuff. guys are impressive musicians. nice addition of the video too

That video got them a lot of fans indeed. It was a good move.

Written by Panterica on 20.04.2012 at 13:41

I happened to really like this album. Sure, you won't find much diversity in it, but still it's a very enjoyable album.

I actually enjoy this album a bit more than the score reflects, but I tried to be objective
20.04.2012 - 23:45
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
If the so-called djent scene is going to become worthy of being mentioned in history books I think this band needs to stop leading it, as it were. Their EP was pretty good but I found all this did was drag it out to boring, meandering levels.
21.04.2012 - 01:49
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by Guest on 20.04.2012 at 23:45

If the so-called djent scene is going to become worthy of being mentioned in history books I think this band needs to stop leading it, as it were.

It's just a debut album by a young band, give them a chance to improve.
05.10.2012 - 00:39
Sir Thrashalot

Written by Unhealer on 21.04.2012 at 01:49

Written by Guest on 20.04.2012 at 23:45

If the so-called djent scene is going to become worthy of being mentioned in history books I think this band needs to stop leading it, as it were.

It's just a debut album by a young band, give them a chance to improve.

Absolutely, I think this is a very good first album for a band in a new genre like djent. We're all slowly discovering the lengths of this genre, and I think it's only going to get better. This band has a lot of potential, very enthusiastic about their next LP coming out eventually.

Hits total: 6179 | This month: 9