Metal Storm logo
Nu Metal - A Controversial Subject

Written by: iaberis
Published: 20.10.2006

Every traditional metalhead seems to hate this new kind of metal? But why so much hate? Is it the use of turntables that reminds us of this lousy "Hip-Hop" music and the "Rap" life style? Is it the remembrance of Linkin Park and "the fucked-up childhood lyric concept" as a member of the Metal Storm on-line community once said?

Well, whatever the reason may be, let's have a look on the genre's definition in wikipedia:
Nu metal (also called new metal, aggro metal, man-rock or nü metal using the traditional heavy metal umlaut) is a musical genre that has origins in the mid 1990s. It typically fuses influences from the grunge and alternative metal of the early 1990s with hip hop, electronic music and other metal genres, most often thrash metal and groove metal.

If you look around, you'll see that every living organism is evolving. That's the difference between something living and something dead. A dead thing can't develop or show some progress. Same thing happens in metal; metal was born almost 40 years ago and has changed into many forms and sub-genres. Power, Gothic, Death, Thrash are all some forms of this wonderful thing called evolution. Same thing is Nu Metal, we couldn't expect that something as powerful as metal, would stay untouched by today's life style and way of living. So this new genre is an evidence that Metal is not dead, as many believe. Although many people deny it, Nu Metal is a part of Metal. But let's have a look on how this genre appeared.

Somewhere in the beginning of 1990, bands playing alternative rock/metal and other metal-influenced music started creating they're own kind of music that was not part of any particular metal sub-genre. Bands like Alice In Chains, Primus, Rage Against The Machine, Faith No More, Tool, Body Count (with the rapper Ice-T on vocals) or even Nirvana influenced this movement and gave the fuse to other bands to follow their steps and get in this new metal-influenced style. There's a whole list on wikipedia about the bands that play or influenced the nu-metal movement, at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nu_metal_musical_groups.

So, it seems that Nu Metal is a mix of metal and rap/hip-hop, two unlike kinds of music with two different ways of life. Something like that naturally caused many reactions and controversies by both sides. Although it brought metal closer to rap fans, many hardcore fans didn't accept it, believing it's something that degrades metal and it's lower in quality of lyrics and music. I had the same opinion about bands like Slipknot or Korn till a friend of mine, showed me tablatures of what these bands play and I was amazed. Although it seemed to me that they play standard riffs with low quality lyrics and worthless screams, now I have a different idea about them and this kind of music in general. Although I hate rap and hip-hop, I'm beginning to get use to the idea of turntables in metal too. And in the end, the sound still remains metal and hardcore.

But is it really that bad to use instruments and borrow elements from other music styles? Music is evolving all the time and metal follows this evolution. We can't listen to the 80's style for ever and misjudge anything new. New artists with new ideas in the metal scene deserve a chance and some respect too. We can't stick with a particular metal style forever. If we chose this way, there will be a period in the future that old metalheads will be placed aside, listening to old, nearly ancient bands and to a few new bands trying to copy their music. Think for example Metallica and how they changed their music in their latest album, St. Anger, to access the young people and a wider audience.

Personally, I'm not a fan of new metal or any of the bands mentioned above and I don't judge music by the instruments or the vocals they use. I don't have preconceptions about any kind of music and I generally listen to everything that sounds good to my ears? I don't listen to rap of course, but that's another thing. But I do judge music with my own standards and I don't reject any band or kind of music, because some people just don't like it. That shows a lack of strong personality? Make your own choices and don't listen to every single-minded person that tells you what to listen to! Remember Rage Against The Machine and their "Fuck you, I won't do what you tell me!" lyric!

Closing this, I'm not saying to all of you to "stop listening to your favorite metal style," but just give a chance to the new bands and the new metal styles, called Nu Metal or whatever name they want to give it. Who knows what the future holds for the metal scene? RnB Metal? Beat/Dance Metal? Pop Metal? If so, what's your choice? Follow your times or stick to the old guys?

Guest article disclaimer:
This is a guest article, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments page 5 / 5

Comments: 150   Visited by: 298 users
31.03.2008 - 03:03
☭ Mr. S ☭
Owner of the DSA
i think people should differentiate between Nu Metal and Rapcore. They share many similarities but, Rapcore tend to... well rap, while most Nu metal bands would have very little or no rapping.
----
Seize the weed of production!
31.03.2008 - 04:38
iaberis
Advice Troll
Written by ☭ Mr. S &#9773 on 31.03.2008 at 03:03

i think people should differentiate between Nu Metal and Rapcore. They share many similarities but, Rapcore tent to... well rap, while most Nu metal bands would have very little or no rapping.

Yeah, I've been thinking about it too... Rage Against The Machine can't be compared with Nu Metal... it's different...
----
Bitch! Please
13.09.2008 - 08:30
Insects Of Death
Account deleted
me personally i think nu metal sucks but what i also think sucks is that every fucking body wants to disect metal into smaller categories metal is metal...just not new metal lol
14.10.2008 - 08:17
Barbaydos
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 13.09.2008 at 08:30

me personally i think nu metal sucks but what i also think sucks is that every fucking body wants to disect metal into smaller categories metal is metal...just not new metal lol

yea i agree to a point. i think that there is metal which is the general overall term for everything metal. then it branches in thrash, death, speed, power and some others. the main point is that everything is classed as metal except Nu Metal which is not metal. it is crap everything that is nu metal should be destroyed. one last thought everythinks that linkin park started the nu metal wave! have you heard coal chamber? its even worse than LP.
24.10.2008 - 22:02
Toast
Account deleted
I really don't see the point of this article. You're basically telling us the definition of nu-metal and your own conceptions of how it is an evolution in metal. Alright first of all i'm pretty sure 99% of the people on this site know what nu-metal is, and second of all metal is not an organism, it's just a diverse style of music. With your logic on why metal would be an organism, everything from clothes to food to dishwashers could be organisms, which they are not.

Many metal musicians just experiment with new sounds and styles; some results of this such as Thrash or Death metal are favourable but others like nu-metal just sound plain bad to most metal fans. In addition, the styles nu-metal bands incorporate are so different from traditional metal that many believe this style shouldn't even be classified as metal.
That's all; metals not an organism, nu-metal is sure as hell not a sign that metal's doing well, people of this generation shouldn't listen to it just to follow their times and most metal fans hate it...deal with it.

P.S. no one hates nu-metal because other people do, it just sucks lol.
27.10.2008 - 16:57
ponderer

Mmmmk. First of all, I'm guessing you aren't a native English speaker because there are little tidbits here and there that indicate as much. Having said that, the article is well written. You have a good command of the language sir.

Now fasten your seat belt.

As far as nu-metal is concerned or what I like to call Complete Fucking Garbage, I'll have to disagree. I'm not obligated to listen to anything I don't want to nor make any sort of an attempt to understand it or what it represents or where it even came from. I grew up listening to Black Sabbath so I'm supposed to give Slipknot or Korn a chance? I don't think so. I've heard both bands and I'd rather (I deleted the expletives here).

Nu-metal is basically a bunch of talentless turds who got together and used their trust funds to put together a band. Then, with the help of someone in the music industry, they discovered what sells and what doesn't. As long as that money is rolling in they'll keep producing the same no-talent drivel year after year. Basically what Metallica decided to do after Cliff's death

For me it's about the quality of the music and not the bullshit that comes along with it. I don't give a shit if a band has to wear scary masks or eat their own feces on stage as long as they can play. If Madonna set herself on fire during her next tour I'd be mildly interested (as long as she jumped into the crowd while still on fire), but it doesn't mean her music is any good. I want good music, not a circus act.
13.11.2008 - 05:07
dave77
Account deleted
Whats the deal with not playing the day that never comes

I just dont understand
25.12.2008 - 12:46
Njord
njord
I don't think nu-metal is an evolution of metal, it's more like a way to reach more audience, joining trendy values that MTV and other fountains of money have interest. It's more like a virus that soon will be banned of metal, because the main purpose is another thing than music. Maybe money, maybe just sucess.. but not the pleasure of creation, something that the founders of other styles like In Flames or Mayhem (just as examples of death and black metal) had. That's why Slipknot or Korn are almost forgotton right now, 5 or 6 years after the 'boom'

Anyway iaberis, thanks for your impression about this theme.
19.01.2009 - 10:51
JayEstonio
Account deleted
What I can say is that NU Metal is for the kids today. A lot of them say razor sharp guitar solos in Heavy Metal are boring compared to the adrenaline pumping riffs of NU Metal.

I think it has something to do with their listening skills. We shouldn't forget that listening is a skill. The more you listen and focus intently, the more it improves.

One of my theories behind NU Metal kids being bored is what I call, the I-Envy-These-Bands-Who-are-virtuosos-so-I-chose-to-listen-to-average-NUmetal-which-I-think-I-can-play-and-listen-to-with-less-effort-and-when-their-time-is-over-i-can-just-replace-it-with-the-next-fad-if-ever-there-is.

For me, NU Metal is like a man filled with huge amounts of adrenaline at first, but once it runs out, it is out forever and I can go on through a whole year without ever longing for it.
20.01.2009 - 01:14
Warman
Erotic Stains
Of course Metal evolves and of course it's okay to borrow pieces from other genres. But why must it evolve to something so bad and it's only okay to borrow from other genres as long as I found it to be good. When it comes to music only one person is right about things and such, and that is you yourself. And therefore I believe that 99 % of all Nu Metal I've heard suck.
----
23.03.2009 - 01:56
DayFly

Good article. But to be honest, it's not really about nu-metal, now, is it?

I'll never understand why people are so overtly bothered by nu-metal or nowadays emo and metalcore.
26.03.2010 - 16:16
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Great article. The old ''I hate nu metal'' is getting so lame that reach the ridiculous...

It's easier to hate some cheesy Power, Folk or Gothic metal bands than much of Nu Metal has to offer.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
26.04.2010 - 06:22
adean_bllzr

"Think in Metallica and how they changed their music in their latest album, St. Anger, to access the young people and a wider audience."

They didn´t need a wider audience. They needed money to treat their adictions and because of that they did this commercial shit.
----
"Eternity.....a gift I no longer want"
Novembers Doom
27.04.2010 - 01:31
iaberis
Advice Troll
Written by adean_bllzr on 26.04.2010 at 06:22

"Think in Metallica and how they changed their music in their latest album, St. Anger, to access the young people and a wider audience."

They didn´t need a wider audience. They needed money to treat their adictions and because of that they did this commercial shit.

now that was nasty!
----
Bitch! Please
27.04.2010 - 02:40
adean_bllzr

Written by iaberis on 27.04.2010 at 01:31

Written by adean_bllzr on 26.04.2010 at 06:22

now that was nasty!

Just the truth (and I am a big Metallica´s fan)
----
"Eternity.....a gift I no longer want"
Novembers Doom
27.04.2010 - 04:48
I_Die_Often

I like KORN and Slipknot, I like Stuck Mojo and Suicidal Tendencies, I like Dying Fetus and Nile, I like Dimmu Borgir and Emperor, I like Opeth...
I like what I like regardless of genres. That's my personal taste.
I like the so called Nu Metal Slayer and Machine Head albums!
And if Nu metal has something I want to hear, I will listen, if I don't like it, I won't listen.

If we all had the same tastes, music would be stagnant and really fuckin boring!!!
----
Old enough to be your Daddy... speaking of which... you look familiar... do I know your mother???
01.05.2011 - 00:51
Saeed_p

I think one of the great nu forever is mudvayne
no band can sucks like them
08.05.2011 - 04:00
Void_Eater
Account deleted
Nu metal is not evolution. It is bastardizing metal for record labels to make money off of.

Also, what do you mean, follow your times? Seems like your saying, "Your bands are soooo last week, Korn is all the rage now! Be with the kool kids!" Sorry, I listen to good music, not trendy music.
13.05.2011 - 03:55
Death To Posers
Hate Thy King
Ill Nino is sick. I think they're considered Nu Metal, but whatever.
----
The word gen means "illusion" or "apparition." In India, a man who uses conjury is called a genjutsushi ["a master of illusion technique"]. Everything in this world is but a marionette show. Thus we use the word gen.
21.05.2011 - 21:58
Guib
Thrash Talker
@iaberis

Wow man, I've seen people hating on you for this article... and I just can't understand.
Why would someone attack your musical taste to prove a point ?

(Quote: iaberis, how broad is your taste in music, exactly? Because I really fail to see how someone with extensive rock & metal knowledge could classify nu metal as subgenre of metal music.)

Yeah yeah, of course buddy, there is no way Nu Metal ressemble Metal lol no power chords, no distorsion, no scream, no shredding, no breakdowns.... ? anyways

I just think people should 1. think before judging someone's taste
2. don't argue about taste
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
30.03.2012 - 12:41
john_rossdale

Nu-Metal, I feel, is just a label created by music journalists and attached to a group of alternative metal bands that were emerging into the mainstream at approximately the same time
30.03.2012 - 16:29
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by john_rossdale on 30.03.2012 at 12:41
Nu-Metal, I feel, is just a label created by music journalists and attached to a group of alternative metal bands that were emerging into the mainstream at approximately the same time

Pretty much. I mean all the nu metal bands people claim are nu metal bands don't typically embody many characteristics of whatever nu metal is supposed to be. Alternative metal? Sure. But nu metal in itself was supposed to be metal + rap, which was more or less limited to Limp Bizkit and Linkin Park if you wanna call either of them metal.

But bands like Mudvayne I wouldn't call nu metal because they don't have any rap or hip hop elements in their music.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
30.03.2012 - 18:39
theFIST

Written by Guest on 24.10.2008 at 22:02

metal is not an organism, it's just a diverse style of music. With your logic on why metal would be an organism, everything from clothes to food to dishwashers could be organisms, which they are not.

but.....
my dishwasher just evolved a mouth and ate the sink....
----
http://metalstormmusicianscorner.bandcamp.com
Written by Warman on 07.11.2007 at 22:39
Haha, that's like saying "compose your own Metal album and upload it here, instead of writing a review of an album". :lol:
30.03.2012 - 19:08
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Of course nu-metal as a term was invented by journalists.
First a band such as Korn was labeled spookycore and then New Metal which morphed into Nu/Nü Metal
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

30.03.2012 - 22:10
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 30.03.2012 at 19:08
First a band such as Korn was labeled spookycore

Daaaaamn that's bad and people then whine about the name Nü Metal...
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
31.03.2012 - 02:09
Void Eater
Account deleted
Maybe the label was created by a journalists, but the riffing of Limp Bizkit, Korn, Slipknot, ect, are all pretty similar even if the bands are notably different in style. Downtuned guitar with midpaced, simplistic riffs, with the vocals using hip hop-esque rhythm, often times shouted.
31.03.2012 - 10:39
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
After all, Nu-Metal is all about this only. They won't be going too innovative over the desired level. People are still accepting graciously what these bands do (except Korn and Linkin Park>> which they now classified as a leading electronic stuff and are ostracized heavily ) and you know what? Ill Nino, P. O. D, Adema, Biscuit will still make a mediocre music ass long as their fans are happy.
01.04.2012 - 22:34
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
When I think nu-metal I think of "newer" "metal" I hear on radio...Disturbed, Korn, Slipnot, etc
----
rekt
03.04.2012 - 06:53
grin_ripper

It's true that Nu-Metal bands do tend to take quite alot of criticism, some of it quite unfairly I think. But Nu-Metal was the first genre I felt was "mine", and I was really into it.. Its the genre that inspired to learn how to play a guitar.. Perhaps people look down their noses at it for the reason that its a blend of rap and metal, which are two pretty diverse styles of music and it was pretty rare..
03.04.2012 - 08:00
dream_treater

Nu-Metal is still a genre I listen to on a fairly regular basis, although not as much as I used to back in the day. I was a major Limp Bizkit fan, and also loved the early Linkin Park and Papa Roach stuff too, plus plenty of other bands too.

For me, I still limp with the Bizkit occasionally, "Infest" and "Hybrid Theory" still have alot of songs that I like, and while I can see that Limp Bizkit do have alot of childish lyrics and Fred Durst is a complete asshole, I still love to hear "My Generation", "Nookie", "Break Stuff", "Take A Look Around", "My Way" and "Re-Arranged" when they come on shuffle on my I-Pod.

Hits total: 32102 | This month: 61