01. Everyone Sleeps But Me
02. The Chalk And The Matter
03. Shores Are Not For Vacancies
04. Television Television
05. As I Lay Fail
06. Small People, Broken Glasses
07. Your Average Hero
08. Kolpa

Chopstick Suicide? Sounds interesting, especially paired up with that bizarre cover artwork. So just how crazy is this shit? Well, not as crazy as one might be lead to believe...It's got a certain stabbing, jagged charm to it, but nothing too surprising by today's standards.

Chopstick Suicide really seem to be channelling some Dillinger Escape Plan here. A sound that roughly revolves around a techy modern hardcore type of deal. Take the tangible, juicy riffs that D.E.P. Throw into their music, but pair it up with that distinct feeling of randomness found with Between The Buried And Me. I believe they call this "mathcore."

...And that's where the problem becomes apparent. As soon as there's a reasonable sub-genre named after a certain sound, it usually means there's enough followers to constitute having a special box with it's own special label. Chopstick Suicide toss a few whimsical jazz guitar pieces in there to keep things appropriately random, and a few segments have a distinct punk sound to them, but aside from that, it's very much assembly-line mathcore. Something like this may have had a bigger impact a few years ago, but with bands like Between The Buried And Me and Dillinger Escape Plan running around out there, this just seems a bit unneeded.

It takes a certain kind of person to love music like this. You've got to have a taste for metalcore, hardcore, and random, pointy sort of tech-metal. If you've made all of those qualifications, then you also have to enjoy it to the point of being able to recognize the very few subtle distinct qualities Chopstick Suicide have. They are there, and they do execute everything pretty well, just not strongly enough to give this any more than a half-hearted recommendation to anyone aside from those who already love this type of music.

Written on 20.04.2012 by Former EIC. Now just a reviewer guy.

Comments

Comments: 9   Visited by: 110 users
20.04.2012 - 18:15
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
No interest in math metal, or in metalcore anymore, but this is an awesome band name.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
20.04.2012 - 18:22
FOOCK Nam

So funny band name.
20.04.2012 - 18:43
Rating: 8
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
I wonder how you'd do it?

Chopstick to the juggular?

anyway, checking out meow.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
20.04.2012 - 18:45
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Wow sounds like 7 bands in one. Freaking awesome.
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
20.04.2012 - 22:14
Rating: 7
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Boxcar Willy on 20.04.2012 at 18:45

Howso? It sounds like regular mathcore with a few jazz guitar parts. The only thing that changes all that frequently is the dudes vocal style.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
20.04.2012 - 22:22
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Doc G. on 20.04.2012 at 22:14

Written by Boxcar Willy on 20.04.2012 at 18:45

Howso? It sounds like regular mathcore with a few jazz guitar parts. The only thing that changes all that frequently is the dudes vocal style.

His vocals are great, and are the main reason why I think that.

But I hear nice subtle changes in the guitar as well.
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
21.04.2012 - 07:39
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
To be honest, I think the band name has evolved from "Chinese fighting culture" where some dudes on a dinning table attacks with the chopsticks while having a Maggie or kinda shit or something.
21.04.2012 - 10:33
FOOCK Nam

Written by Cynic Metalhead on 21.04.2012 at 07:39

To be honest, I think the band name has evolved from "Chinese fighting culture" where some dudes on a dinning table attacks with the chopsticks while having a Maggie or kinda shit or something.

I see it simply funny like: Chopstick Suicide... as you can commit suicide by knife, but if by chopstick, it is harder, so Chopstick Suicide is irony, that not a way of suicide successfully.
21.04.2012 - 10:53
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Makes clear.

Hits total: 4750 | This month: 13