04. Implant
05. Blood On Your Hands
06. Loose Cannon
07. You'll Never Get To Me
08. Seeing Red
09. Dark Forces
10. The House That Pain Built
11. Inferno [bonus]

There is only one way to start this review appropriately.

Dave Grohl, where would the world of rock be without you?

He has commandeered the rhythm sections of Nirvana, Queens Of The Stone Age, and most recently with Killing Joke (please let me know if I'm missing any). Grohl has an amazing ability to command the drum set. He doesn't miss a beat, and the result is unmistakable, and incredibly massive. In two words: sheer ferocity. With Grohl at the drum seat, it's clear that all of that power has some mystical cohesive effect on the RAWK itself.

Now, it's on to the music. It's a maniacal, pulsating piece of art, with each and every song having its own unique, palpating rhythm. Is it over-the-top catastrophic at times? Yes, occasionally, but very seldom. The angst is miniscule when opposed to the vortex of rhythmic chaos that is this second, self-titled, album. Each chorus is ferocious, thanks not just to Grohl but to the (extreme) dirty vocal contributions of Jaz Coleman. What dirty vocals you may have heard on albums like Pandemonium are dialed up from raucous on the "obscene-o-meter" to full-on combative. And it works, triumphantly.

Killing Joke censored the eyes of that clown on the cover for a reason. The music encapsulates what madness lies behind.

I usually highlight songs to listen to, but it's truly hard to miss on this album. "Asteroid" and "Seeing Red" are the only tunes that keep this from being an outright classic.

Having a rough go at things? Need a fix for something menacing to elevate the stress? Give this album a whirl and you'll be convulsing out of your shoes.

Cheers?

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 8
Production: 8

Written by Nosurper | 19.04.2012

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 20   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 96 users
21.04.2012 - 16:01
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Kind of lame attributing the greatness of this record to Dave Grohl if you ask me, insulting even. He owes more to Killing Joke than the other way around, not just influentially, but especially seeing as his former band ripped off 'Eighties' in the form of 'Come As You Are' (I assume you knew that he plays on this record to make up for that fact, after KJ dropped the lawsuit after Cobain's death).

So yeah, sorry but a pretty misguided opening three paragraphs. This record would have been immense regardless of Grohl's inclusion.

The most appropriate sentence ever would have been "Killing Joke, where would the world of rock be without you?" given the multitude of bands they influenced. I'm pretty sure Grohl hasn't influenced any one in any significant sense.
21.04.2012 - 16:07
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 21.04.2012 at 16:01

Kind of lame attributing the greatness of this record to Dave Grohl if you ask me, insulting even. He owes more to Killing Joke than the other way around, not just influentially, but especially seeing as his former band ripped off 'Eighties' in the form of 'Come As You Are' (I assume you knew that he plays on this record to make up for that fact, after KJ dropped the lawsuit after Cobain's death).

So yeah, sorry but a pretty misguided opening three paragraphs. This record would have been immense regardless of Grohl's inclusion.

The most appropriate sentence ever would have been "Killing Joke, where would the world of rock be without you?" given the multitude of bands they influenced. I'm pretty sure Grohl hasn't influenced any one in any significant sense.

I am not a fan of Killing Joke at all, but I totally agree.

Too much credit is given to Grohl no matter what band he drums in for a blue monday.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

21.04.2012 - 16:29
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Sorry but this is such a joke and not a good one cosidering we are alking about Killing Joke.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
21.04.2012 - 16:40
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
I don't think I've ever listened to a Killing Joke song but I do like some of Grohl's projects.

Not enough to bother checking this out though...
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
21.04.2012 - 20:53
Rating: 8
Nosurper
Stinky Lips
Fair enough, didn't know about the lawsuit. Regardless Grohl did play and immense the album is
----
22.04.2012 - 16:18
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Nosurper on 21.04.2012 at 20:53

Fair enough, didn't know about the lawsuit. Regardless Grohl did play and immense the album is

The problem is that you make it sound like this album is great just because of Grohl, which is far from being truth. The album would have been immense regarless of who played the drums tbh. He did nothing else besides playing the drums, all the music was the creation of the band and they are the ones that deserve the higher praise both for this album and for rock in general for being far bigger influence.
----
Rod, let me love you.
22.04.2012 - 18:48
Nosurper
Stinky Lips
Written by X-Ray Rod on 22.04.2012 at 16:18

Written by Nosurper on 21.04.2012 at 20:53

The problem is that you make it sound like this album is great just because of Grohl, which is far from being truth. The album would have been immense regarless of who played the drums tbh. He did nothing else besides playing the drums, all the music was the creation of the band and they are the ones that deserve the higher praise both for this album and for rock in general for being far bigger influence.

I'll admit that I didn't get particularly detailed with what I liked about the music, maybe not descriptive enough. But like !J.O.O.E! said, it was just the first three splashes on Grohl.
----
22.04.2012 - 18:49
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Nosurper on 22.04.2012 at 18:48
But like !J.O.O.E! said, it was just the first three splashes on Grohl.

Yeah, that's correct Well, you learn by falling. Everything else wasn't bad. Peace out!
----
Rod, let me love you.
22.04.2012 - 18:51
Nosurper
Stinky Lips
----
22.04.2012 - 19:05
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck

Just three splashes? imo that is way too much focus on Grohl and way too much credit for someone who was just a hired hand and didn't really contribute to the labum except for his playing. There is more focus on Grohl in your review than on the mastermind behind Killing Joke, Jaz Coleman.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

22.04.2012 - 19:15
Nosurper
Stinky Lips
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 22.04.2012 at 19:05

Just three splashes? imo that is way too much focus on Grohl and way too much credit for someone who was just a hired hand and didn't really contribute to the labum except for his playing. There is more focus on Grohl in your review than on the mastermind behind Killing Joke, Jaz Coleman.

I enjoy his style. He doesn't miss a beat and he's relentless. I'm not saying he's Danny Carry, but I'm not worried about praising him. I do agree that Jaz Coleman's credit is due, not just on this review but in general. However, I just stayed focused on what I was listening to, not what impact he has had barnone
----
22.04.2012 - 20:14
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Nosurper on 22.04.2012 at 19:15

I just stayed focused on what I was listening to, not what impact he has had barnone

Yet what you were listening to WAS the creation of Jaz Coleman... not Grohl who´was simply a pair of hands who did some drums.
----
Rod, let me love you.
22.04.2012 - 20:18
Nosurper
Stinky Lips
Written by X-Ray Rod on 22.04.2012 at 20:14

Written by Nosurper on 22.04.2012 at 19:15

I just stayed focused on what I was listening to, not what impact he has had barnone

Yet what you were listening to WAS the creation of Jaz Coleman... not Grohl who´was simply a pair of hands who did some drums.

I doubt Grohl was asked to do anything other than play drums though. That would likely result in some sterile post-grunge radio rock.
----
22.04.2012 - 20:24
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Nosurper on 22.04.2012 at 20:18

I doubt Grohl was asked to do anything other than play drums though. That would likely result in some sterile post-grunge radio rock.

I'm sorry but this only shows how little you know Killing Joke.
----
Rod, let me love you.
22.04.2012 - 20:27
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I think he meant if Grohl had creative control it would turn out to be radio rock
22.04.2012 - 20:28
Nosurper
Stinky Lips
Ok, a harsh criticism of the man i applauded in my review
----
22.04.2012 - 20:34
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Nosurper on 22.04.2012 at 20:28

Ok, a harsh criticism of the man i applauded in my review

Written by Guest on 22.04.2012 at 20:27

I think he meant if Grohl had creative control it would turn out to be radio rock

I'm sorry but this only shows how much I suck at reading. lulz. Shit this is like the fifth time I misunderstand/write something wrong. fuck it.
----
Rod, let me love you.
22.04.2012 - 21:26
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by X-Ray Rod on 22.04.2012 at 20:34

I'm sorry but this only shows how much I suck at reading. lulz. Shit this is like the fifth time I misunderstand/write something wrong. fuck it.

And then you blame it all on me when you do the same to me
----
7.0 means the album is good
22.04.2012 - 21:35
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Milena on 22.04.2012 at 21:26

Written by X-Ray Rod on 22.04.2012 at 20:34

And then you blame it all on me when you do the same to me

When it's between us, it's always your fault honey
----
Rod, let me love you.
25.04.2012 - 12:57
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
To be fair, Dave Grohl's playing style is pretty unique (he hits the drums much harder than most drummers would) and this does contribute to the greatness of this album in a significant way. He was a good choice to play on this album but this choice was a creative choice done by Jaz Coleman, Geordie Walker and Youth. Grohl had no impact on any of the compositions, but he sure did play the shit out of those drums. God bless him.

Hits total: 3814 | This month: 4