02. Deadly Nightshade
03. Out Of This Gloomy Light
04. Swallow (Horror, Pt. I)
05. Silence Of The Womb
06. Hold This Woe
07. Under The Waves
08. The Morning Never Came
09. Solitude [Candlemass cover][2005 bonus]

I remember the first thing I did when I received this album was stare at the cover art for a while, is just awesome! The abandoned cabin in the middle of the woods, and the dark scene only lighted by a dim light coming out from the second floor of the house? creepy isn't it?
As for the music, is as creepy as the cover art, when I listen this I get the feeling that these guys recorded this Cd in that old cabin in the middle of a forgotten forest, and the light coming out is actually the rehearsal room of the band?

Things start with a sad piano at the beginning of the opener "Through Her Silvery Body", but then the multi layered guitars enter the arena. Slow and melancholic, that's the name of the game for Swallow the Sun, and they know how to play it! The whole album is a little jewel, the thing that impresses me the most is how they've achieved such excellent level in their debut album, and my only fear is that they won't be able to come up with a better sophomore release, that's the real test, but definitively Firebox Records saw something in this guys that others didn't, great move there for the ever-growing Finish record label.

The textures and the layers of each song are exquisite, every song is dripping sadness and melancholy through gloomy atmospheres and depressive songs, all of this countered by vocals full of hate and despair.
Songs are lengthy, clocking about 7 minutes each, but every one of them manages to maintain its pace and it doesn't get boring listening to this album over and over.

What more can I say? This is a MUST-HAVE for every Doom Metal fan, the only thing I regret is that we're in summer down here in South America, because this album would be the perfect soundtrack for any rainy autumn or a cold winter.

Written by Undercraft | 00.00.0000

Staff review by
Deadsoulman
Rating:
Seriously, what is it in the climate, the food or the landscape that makes people from northern territories so unhappy? Is it the snow, the dark forests, the reindeers that make them grow despair as if it were a new kind of very nutritive aliment? Sorry about these uninteresting existential questions, but when I hear the first album of the Finnish Swallow The Sun, I'm really glad I live in England, where the morning sometimes comes .

Read more ››
published 02.05.2004 | Comments (9)

Comments

Comments: 3   Visited by: 173 users
04.11.2006 - 17:52
Rating: 9
BloodTears
ANA-thema
couldnt agree more with your review. I think this band is underraded and its quality underestimated. There is such an immense beauty in this album that it is beyong words...
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
27.11.2008 - 17:11
FOOCK Nam

Excellent album, very catchy and beautiful melody. Sadly I cant find lyric for track 3&4. Other songs' lyric are very sad beautiful.
14.11.2009 - 01:08
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Wow.. a review from year zero.

And yeah, listen to this album in a killer hot weather may sound wrong... but its good anyway
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/

Hits total: 8653 | This month: 13