03. Blue Channel
04. Viral By Nature
05. Insomnia
06. A Ghost Upstairs
07. Claw My Eyes Out
08. Identity Of The Doomed
09. No Way Out
10. The Descent

Here's a typical opinion for you; the clean vocals are the ruin are of this otherwise great metalcore album.

*Queue massive audience departure*

Seriously though, people, for the most part, Burning The Bridges To Nowhere is a great album when focusing solely on the riff work. Generally, it rolls forth a charging pace that makes the perfect backdrop for a mix of super catchy rhythm guitar interlaced with fantastic leads that range between the epic, soaring melodies and the faint, cold sorrowful type. Beef things up with a distant, yet integral set of synths that sit in the background almost constantly, and you've got yourself a thick, slick, well oiled machine.

Too bad they have to crank out these whiny vocals at all the worst times. Granted, the harsh vocals sound like pretty typical deathcore grunts, but at least they do nothing to hinder the music. The clean vocals aren't actually terrible in themselves either, they just seem to herald in these constant (and completely unnecessary) drops into some over done, pseudo-power ballads. One minute, things are rolling forward really nicely, then it drops into some whiny Rise Against vibe sort of crap.

What it all boils down to is this; it's a typical modern metalcore album. As I Lay Dying, Bullet For My Valentine...Name any one of those sort of bands, as hard as it may be to admit, they've got some great riffs. Yet they never capitalize on those great riffs. Instead, like clockwork, they consistently have to meander into that cheese ball whining territory. Enough is enough. There are already plenty of bands out there willing to cater to the 13-year-old-girl inside each one of us, trying to cram Odium into this otherwise saturated market is unneeded. This is a band that really needs to re-envision their sound a bit. There is talent buried in here...somewhere...

Written on 27.04.2012 by Former EIC. Now just a reviewer guy.

Comments

Comments: 6   Visited by: 117 users
27.04.2012 - 14:41
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Ah man, Rise Against-esque vocals?

Pass, I can't stand their whiney bullshit.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
27.04.2012 - 15:41
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Bit of a poor review here... seems like it might be more of a half-assed job than the album you talk about. Regardless, I'm sure there will be a bunch of people who give this band a chance, and perhaps even love what they hear. As much as I like an AILD song or two, though, I will not be one of them
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
30.04.2012 - 08:45
Tiago Almeida

Unfortunatelly I have to disagree with the reviewer, this is a good band/album, you should not expect a Death/Black Metal although. This deserves a better score!
30.04.2012 - 12:00
Rating: 6
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Tiago Almeida on 30.04.2012 at 08:45

you should not expect a Death/Black Metal although.

Where did I give that impression?
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
01.05.2012 - 00:00
Crazy Booduh

I wouldn't call the vocals whiny at all, they actually sound like adults (unlike Bullet For My Valentine IMO, they sound like whiny kids to me). I wouldn't lump these guys in with BFMV or AILD at all.

It's funny because whenever I read a review on this website that complains about clean vocals, I get excited to check the band out because I prefer some combination of clean/heavy vocals. The clean vocals tolerance level seems really low around these parts. If the clean vocals here are the "ruin" of an otherwise good album, it just sounds to me like you have a heavy bias against clean vocals in general, because to me the clean vocals work pretty well.

Which is fine, really, if that's the case. I guess my main gripe is comparing this to those other bands you listed, heh. I think this CD is pretty damn solid even if it doesn't do anything too special.
31.08.2014 - 16:44
Rating: 9
Xim
Rocker of Worlds
I would agree with what Crazy Booduh said. I saw these guys live a week ago and they gave a solid performance. They even gave me their albums, some awesome guys these are. I normally hate metalcore but these guys were good. I'd say they draw more influence from melodic death metal rather than melodic hardcore. The clean vocals are far from being the "ruin" of the album. I'm not the biggest fan of them (I'd prefer something more like Nevermore style on music like this) but they sound nothing like the awful emo-influenced vocals that are in a lot of metalcore. If anything they remind me of Tool's vocals.

Hits total: 4750 | This month: 8