05. Ashes Of The Future
06. When The Angels Fall
07. Under The Snow I
08. Under The Snow II
09. Under The Snow III

Staff review by
Doc G.
Rating:
One look at this whole set-up and it's easy to see we're in for a pretty typical black metal listen. The logo, the artwork, even the name gives you a pretty good idea what you're in for. You know what? It is pretty damn typical.

The only question is, for being such a typical album, how the hell does Morok manage to achieve such shit-blasting power?

Read more ››
published 28.04.2012 | Comments (42)

No funny stuff. Just black metal with a face-vs-brick-wall type impact. Unbelievably loud & crushing.

Doc Godin's picks | More picks ››

Found in 23 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 46   Visited by: 394 users
30.04.2012 - 20:28
Rating: 8
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
This is a very strong album. It's kind of "monstrous" or "big" for a black metal release, but it blends extremely well with death metal. This is something I'd expect Esoteric members to release if they went on to form a black metal project. Dense atmosphere, gritty production, brutal vocals, chaotic instrumentation... pretty much everything extreme metal fans appreciate.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
01.05.2012 - 00:10
Vonpire

Lol what a joke.
----
Beware the Shadows of Dusk
01.05.2012 - 00:13
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Vonpire on 01.05.2012 at 00:10
Lol what a joke.

You should look through more of my posts on album threads where I comment positively and laugh at my opinion - that would really make you seem like the mature 30-year-old man you are.

All because we disagreed with you jizzing your pants over one album by Draconian. You really need to lighten up dude.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
01.05.2012 - 01:20
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Vonpire on 01.05.2012 at 00:51

Let's just end this here. I listen to what I like and try new things from time to time. Sometimes I like said new things, sometimes I don't. Sometimes I dislike old things. Music is awesome like that.

I enjoyed this album thoroughly because it appeals to my tastes. A lot of gothic metal appeals to you, so you like it. We've established all that.

As for people here being your entertainment, that's cool too. I'm glad we distract you from your obvious inability to move on from something that happened on a review on the Internet seemingly eons ago, although disguising your angst with an apathetic attitude is only proving to the rest of us here that you really can't just shrug something off. We disagreed, get over it.

What I personally don't like about this is that your apparent grudge is spilling into threads that you don't actually have any interest in. This taints what I like to call "musical discussion". I'd rather be talking about Morak in this thread to be honest, but instead I'm wasting words on 30-year-old man who thinks he needs to defend his music taste by trolling threads that have otherwise gone relatively overlooked.

You don't like this album? That's cool, and I respect your opinion. How about we talk about why you don't like this album like civilized people and you can forget about our past "encounters" while we do it. I'd like to think you have a shred of common sense worth digging out behind that thick layer of stubborn irrationality, and if there is anything behind it then maybe you and I will be able to "move on" from whatever "this" is.
----
01.05.2012 - 01:35
Vonpire

WOW, now they delete posts! Amazing!

Amazing staff around, without any doubts. The truth hurts...
----
Beware the Shadows of Dusk
01.05.2012 - 04:40
Rating: 9
infernaldeath87

Damn these trolls!
04.05.2012 - 02:38
aluun

I love how this sounds , amazing production , great musicianship
05.05.2012 - 04:12
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
From the couple of songs on youtube this band seems fairly jawsome, but that's all I can find so far.
----
Coldgrits
12.05.2012 - 14:21
Azoic
Account deleted
Pick this one up, fans of extreme metal!
12.05.2012 - 14:56
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Guest on 12.05.2012 at 14:21

Pick this one up, fans of extreme metal!

Will do, master.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
12.05.2012 - 14:56
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Seriously great album, although a bit misrepresented on here. I went in expecting some kind of noisy Anaal Nathrakh black metal kind of thing but the result is more along the lines of atmospheric death metal. It's heavy and pummelling but very deep and layered in sound, lots of atmosphere and quite frequently very epic and melodic.

Hit this up folks.

Actually, judge for yourself, here's their Bandcamp page.
13.05.2012 - 02:30
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Death metal?

this is pure black
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

13.05.2012 - 02:43
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 13.05.2012 at 02:30

this is pure black

"pure black?" oh dear, you have no idea how ridiculous and naive you sound, just like the people calling CoB melodeath

Not the first time either. You don't hear death metal in Agruss but apparently you hear death metal music in Brave Murder Day despite there being virtually none at all. Kinda shows how senile you're getting these days and how atrocious your ability to read music is
13.05.2012 - 18:41
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
One thing is to say "it's more black than deah" and the other is saying "it's pure black". You really don't hear any death sounds here?

Written by Guest on 13.05.2012 at 02:43
Apparently you hear death metal music in Brave Murder Day despite there being none at all

Isn't that album one that people first recommend when talking about death/doom classics? I don't know how that album is not death/doom.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
13.05.2012 - 19:52
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 13.05.2012 at 18:41

Isn't that album one that people first recommend when talking about death/doom classics? I don't know how that album is not death/doom.

It is doom death because that's what people call it but that's because the vast majority are blinded by the vocals of albums like that. Dance of December Souls is called blackened doom, where's the black metal? Brave Murder Day is called death doom, where's the death metal? I hear none in either, only the vocals of each. Strip away those vocals and do you think BMD would be called death metal in any way? Nope, but according to Marcel it would still be considered death metal in some way (yet ironically he can't see the tech death metal in bands like Blotted Science who are basically Necrophagist without any vocals).

This is all going back to the discussion we all had where I suggested that genres have black or death associated with them purely for the vocals, and Marcel seems to think that every album called either black doom or death doom has black or death music in it. Which simply isn't true.
13.05.2012 - 19:55
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Guest on 13.05.2012 at 19:52
Strip away those vocals and do you think BMD would be called death metal in any way? Nope.

Obviously no Joe... It's not death.

it's Death/doom. To me the structure of the riffs don't need a lot of change to be death riffs.
----
Rod, let me love you.
13.05.2012 - 19:56
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 13.05.2012 at 19:55

Written by Guest on 13.05.2012 at 19:52
Strip away those vocals and do you think BMD would be called death metal in any way? Nope.

Obviously no Joe... It's not death.

it's Death/doom. To me the structure of the riffs don't need a lot of change to be death riffs.

It has nothing to do with the riffs though, purely the vocals that give it the "death" in death/doom.
13.05.2012 - 20:00
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Guest on 13.05.2012 at 19:56
It has nothing to do with the riffs though, purely the vocals that give it the "death" in death/doom.

Like I just said, that's where I disagree. I don't find the riffs in BMD to be that far away from death metal riffs. I could agree with DODS though as I only hear a very few amount of black-influenced riffs.
----
Rod, let me love you.
13.05.2012 - 20:03
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 13.05.2012 at 20:00

Like I just said, that's where I disagree. I don't find the riffs in BMD to be that far away from death metal riffs. I could agree with DODS though as I only hear a very few amount of black-influenced riffs.

So if BMD had originally been released with Discouraged Ones style vocals you think it would have been called death doom (because they are very similar structurally)? I think if you did you'd have been laughed out of the thread you were on at the time
13.05.2012 - 20:05
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Guest on 13.05.2012 at 20:03

So if BMD had originally been released with Discouraged Ones style vocals you think it would have been called death doom (because they are very similar structurally)? I think if you did you'd have been laughed out of the thread you were on at the time

Internet was around at the moment MDB was around? woah.
Like I give a shit if people laugh at me, specially if I'm right.

Arrogance ftw.
----
Rod, let me love you.
13.05.2012 - 20:09
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 13.05.2012 at 20:05

Internet was around at the moment MDB was around? woah.
Like I give a shit if people laugh at me, specially if I'm right.

Arrogance ftw.

I don't get why you're getting worked up. I was using a hypothetical method to highlight my point. I don't see how that's arrogance.

Compare the riffing and structure between these two songs, virtually identical, yet one is called death doom and the other has nothing to do with death metal, apparently. Please explain how one is different from the other without mentioning the vocals.

To me one sounds like slightly darker than the other, and obviously with less shiny production. Not much else different though that I can see.
13.05.2012 - 20:20
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Guest on 13.05.2012 at 20:09
I don't get why you're getting worked up.

I was Huh... You didn't get how I aimed "arrogance" at myself. Read my post against and you would see I was talking about myself being arrogant.

Your Brave link doesn't work but I *think* I've heard that song before (xD!!), then I again... I would rather use "12" as explanation for my own thoughts.
1:45-2:15 or 3:20-3:45 are on that song are imo pretty death, specially if you give it some faster drums. BDM is a tricky album for me, I'm not saying the whole album has this death sound, but there are enough passages here and there that simply don't go unnoticed in my death radar.
----
Rod, let me love you.
13.05.2012 - 20:25
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 13.05.2012 at 20:20

I was Huh... You didn't get how I aimed "arrogance" at myself. Read my post against and you would see I was talking about myself being arrogant.

Your Brave link doesn't work but I *think* I've heard that song before (xD!!), then I again... I would rather use "12" as explanation for my own thoughts.
1:45-2:15 or 3:20-3:45 are on that song are imo pretty death, specially if you give it some faster drums. BDM is a tricky album for me, I'm not saying the whole album has this death sound, but there are enough passages here and there that simply don't go unnoticed in my death radar.

Oh nevermind then. The space between the two looked like separate points I'm not saying there aren't points where the album may have a similarity to death metal but, ignoring its history for a moment, it would be a big stretch to class it as death in any way overall. I just think people need to admit that the use of the "death" term, and also the "black" term is quite often purely for the vocal element. If that wasn't true then we'd see a shitload more albums called death or black something that didn't contain either vocals, yet I can't think of a single album off the top of my head that does, at least not in the doom sphere. Coincidence? I think not.

For me proper death doom is Lost Paradise, which is a million miles away from anything Katatonia have done.
14.05.2012 - 08:50
Azoic
Account deleted
Sounds like Benighted on crack.
15.05.2012 - 10:25
JD
Account deleted
Now this is an ugly-stinky-disgusting-piece-of-shit.
25.11.2012 - 00:29
Paz

These guys jumped out of nowhere with such a firecracker. My album of the year and I doubt that it will change.
19.12.2012 - 16:02
Rating: 10
Draugen

This is such a monstrous album in every way imaginable. My ears were brutally assaulted by this wall of sound for over an hour and I absolutely loved every second of it.

The combination of black and death metal is something that I am not particularly familiar with so I was very surprised to see just how flawlessly the two genres were mixed on Morok. The transitions back and forth between the tormented shrieks and hellish growls are done exceptionally well and together with the almost constant wall of sound this creates an unsettling and oppressive atmosphere. The album is not completely devoid of melody however and this adds a strange beauty and eeriness to the otherwise grim and harsh sound.

In short, this is one of the best, if not the best, albums of the year and a perfect apocalyptic soundtrack to the fast approaching doomsday in just a couple of days...
10.01.2013 - 19:04
Fritillaria
Account deleted
Is there any other album close to this one ?
10.01.2013 - 19:05
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 10.01.2013 at 19:04

Not that I can think of but if you play Dragged Into Sunlight, Wolves In The Throne Room and Lustmord at the same time it might sound something like this
10.01.2013 - 19:07
Fritillaria
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 10.01.2013 at 19:05

Written by Guest on 10.01.2013 at 19:04

Not that I can think of but if you play Dragged Into Sunlight, Wolves In The Throne Room and Lustmord at the same time it might sound something like this

I will try that

Hits total: 10062 | This month: 23