Metal Storm logo
Roadrunner Records - Founder Steps Down, European Offices To Close

According to Billboard.biz, Roadrunner Records founder/CEO Cees Wessels is leaving the label 17 months after the completion of its sale to the Warner Music Group. Furthermore, approximately 36 staffers worldwide were let go.

In the US, Roadrunner will continue to operate as a standalone frontline label, although 16 staffers in the States are losing their jobs. Internationally, Roadrunner's staff will continue to carry out some label functions, such as marketing, promo and publicity. Other responsibilities, principally support functions, will be carried out by Warner Music teams, which means that 20 staffers will lose their jobs. Roadrunner will continue to have personnel in every territory it does currently, with the exception of the Netherlands office, which is being shuttered. Wessels founded the label in the Netherlands in 1980.

However, there is still no official statement from the label on this matter.

Trivium frontman Matt Heafy stated via twitter: "I wish I knew who or what to blame specifically, but Roadrunner Records just fired some of their best employees. I don't know if it's corporate greed or it's due to the fact that no one puts value in physical art and that piracy created a domino effect, but our friends who are being tossed away so quickly by the label are now out of jobs. These people helped bands get where they are today. Of course I'll be emotional when it has to do with people I love and care and respect for helping me. The main point is that people need to remember, Internet aside - we are dealing with human beings. I feel for my friends."

Slipknot's The Clown commented via the band's official Facebook: "Today is a sad day. It has been brought to my attention that many Roadrunner offices around the world have been closed permanently. This means to us, Slipknot, in my opinion that a lot of our very close friends and comrades will no longer be around to help the art and business known as the Slipknot family. You are in my thoughts and prayers now forever. I will always consider you close friends and I will make every attempt to stay in touch with as many of you as possible."

Lamb Of God's Randy Blythe had this to say: "The Roadrunner people who handle us outside of the US have all been cool as fuck. Today was terrible news with all the closings. The people who work at that label have always been supportive of LOG, even before we inked a deal with them. I hope they all find work soon!"

Source: billboard.biz
Posted: 01.05.2012 by Koen Smits

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 14   Visited by: 150 users
01.05.2012 - 12:30
Nosurper
Stinky Lips
Literally sold out and bailed?

Hope those people find new jobs
----
01.05.2012 - 12:52
qlacs
"The Quaker"
No worries, Roadrunner people has prestige in the metal world, I'm pretty sure those guys will form a new label.
----
01.05.2012 - 13:53
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I send those news tro stuff 3 days ago .... and now they are here , non of them even ansver to my PM
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
01.05.2012 - 14:20
Lit 2.0
Account deleted
What's that gonna do to the morale of our boys overseas?
01.05.2012 - 14:58
BudDa
elite
Written by Bad English on 01.05.2012 at 13:53

I send those news tro stuff 3 days ago .... and now they are here , non of them even ansver to my PM

Thats unfortunate...
News like this, which usually has no official release, takes time to be posted on this site. During that "wait" period, the news admin checks and rechecks to see whether the news will be posted in an official capacity.(in this case, by the record label). As soon as an official release is cited, then the news is posted, otherwise, it takes a while.

In future, I think it would be better for you to first post the news and then notify/PM the admin.
----
Freeze! Step away from the hubris.
01.05.2012 - 17:04
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by BudDa on 01.05.2012 at 14:58
In future, I think it would be better for you to first post the news and then notify/PM the admin.

Definitely. I don't post news myself (I have like a dozen submissions in three years) so I can't be bothered to do someone else's job in that regard.

PM Azoic or BloodTears if it's urgent, otherwise just submit the news normally and let the news team get around to it.

As for on-topic... I guess I don't really have anything to say. Uh... good luck and stuff?
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
01.05.2012 - 17:16
Liquid
Didn't Gojira just sign with Roadrunner? Dang. I hate to see decent labels start to suffer. Hope this isn't another death knell for mass metal...
02.05.2012 - 00:36
pisymbol
Written by Liquid on 01.05.2012 at 17:16

Didn't Gojira just sign with Roadrunner? Dang. I hate to see decent labels start to suffer. Hope this isn't another death knell for mass metal...

Mass metal died a long time ago my friend....

Now a days to even think about selling out a venue you have to combine established bands on one bill. e.g. Rockstar Mayhem Festival in the States

A smallish rant:

Until record companies full embrace the digital era, its going to get worse and worse (stares directly at Century Media Records).

What do I mean embrace?

I believe every single label will have to face the market reality that the Internet IS the primary distribution engine and need to have a coherent strategy for digital distribution.

It is absolutely amazing to me that some labels refuse to stream new releases either through Spotify, Bandcamp, or on their own website.

It shows a complete lack of understanding on how music is obtained, shared, and ultimately purchased.
02.05.2012 - 06:07
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
All rants related to pisymbol's can be forwarded here.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
02.05.2012 - 10:52
Symmachus
That is bad news for Roadrunner Records. It looks like their business within the forseeable future is going to be greatly marred. I hope those people who were dismissed get jobs soon that they enjoy.
02.05.2012 - 19:22
Lit 2.0
Account deleted
Written by pisymbol on 02.05.2012 at 00:36

Mass metal died a long time ago my friend....

Now a days to even think about selling out a venue you have to combine established bands on one bill. e.g. Rockstar Mayhem Festival in the States

A smallish rant:

Until record companies full embrace the digital era, its going to get worse and worse (stares directly at Century Media Records).

What do I mean embrace?

I believe every single label will have to face the market reality that the Internet IS the primary distribution engine and need to have a coherent strategy for digital distribution.

It is absolutely amazing to me that some labels refuse to stream new releases either through Spotify, Bandcamp, or on their own website.

It shows a complete lack of understanding on how music is obtained, shared, and ultimately purchased.

The digital era would like to offer this rebuttal:

Fuck digital!
04.05.2012 - 23:37
Elodie Artour
Slania
Surprising, yet logical news. I mean, srly - Roadrunner Records used to be quite a shitty label, mind you. As for their fired employees, they sure as hell are going to find good jobs any time soon. After all, they've got more than enough experience in that field. And as much as I hate on Roadrunner, they did use to have a good reputation in the scene. (Or so it seemed...)
----
Speak up dear 'cause I cannot hear you...
05.05.2012 - 19:40
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Elodie Artour on 04.05.2012 at 23:37

Roadrunner Records used to be quite a shitty label, mind you.

Roadrunner used to be a great label but turned shitty when they started signing crap like Nickelback and Slipknot.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

06.05.2012 - 15:55
Elodie Artour
Slania
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 05.05.2012 at 19:40

Written by Elodie Artour on 04.05.2012 at 23:37

Roadrunner Records used to be quite a shitty label, mind you.

Roadrunner used to be a great label but turned shitty when they started signing crap like Nickelback and Slipknot.

Exactly. I was referring to their recent steps...
----
Speak up dear 'cause I cannot hear you...

Hits total: 3008 | This month: 3