04. Illumination
05. Stream Of Consciousness
06. Upwards
07. Circular
08. Millstone
09. Touching The Absolute
10. Surreal State Of Enlightenment

WOW

This three letter word really sums up my impression of Textures's latest album Drawing Circles. I'm completely in awe of how fantastic this release is and I totally recommend it to anyone who is reading this review.

Textures is a Dutch band which occupies similar musical territories as Meshuggah and Coprofago. Drawing Circles is much more than just an exercise in polymetry and occasional polyrhythmia though, as the band is equally apt at making nuanced ambient passages with wonderful, nearly operatic vocals as they are at brutal and convoluted extreme metal. What seperates Textures from other bands is that while they are ridiculously talented and technically proficient performers, they don't make this the focus of their music. This is why Drawing Circles is such a winner - its all about the concept, the album and the songs here. There are no over-indulgent detours or parts that seem to be there just to show off the band's abilities. Textures know when to play it straight and when to be unashamedly calm and beautiful. The result is a record that is streamlined and powerful. At the same time, this is very technical and difficult music and this makes the fact that the album as a whole is a wonderfully fluid and consistent masterpiece even more impressive. The songs are catchy and memorable and really help to put the album's concept forward, rather than obscuring it.

This is a must-have album for every metal fan this year. It's that simple.

Written on 01.05.2006 by With Metal Storm since 2002, jupitreas has been subjecting the masses to his reviews for quite a while now. He lives in Warsaw, Poland, where he does his best to avoid prosecution for being so cool.

Comments

Comments: 9   Visited by: 128 users
06.11.2006 - 09:21
Jason W.
Razorbliss
It's CDs like this that are the most difficult for me to listen to. The music is simply awesome, but the vocals turn me off so much I end up ripping the disc out of the player because I'm so frustrated with them. To me, the vocals are mostly in the extreme metalcore style that I've disliked year after year, and it totally ruins the experience for me. If the vocalist would just shut up and let the band do their magic, I'd buy this CD!
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
18.11.2006 - 14:26
Spyroid
Rosetta Stoned
I have to hear this one! The coverart is aaaaaaawesome!
07.12.2006 - 22:51
Rating: 8
Rupert

I was shocked as well by the vocallist and a bit turned down the first time I heard some of their songs, but the more I listen to it the more the vocallist suits the music.
12.05.2007 - 22:12
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
This is absolutely a brilliant album it did take me quite some time to fully appreciate though (because of the vocals) and at times reminds of The Devin Townsend Band.
Well, going to see them this Friday. I ahven't seen them on the back of this album. But saw them twice on the back of their Polars album when they supported Morbid Angel and about 6 months later The Dillinger Escape Plan.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

30.11.2007 - 19:14
CrimsonSoaked
Account deleted
Is there some one who could explain me what MATH metal is ?
Is it something extreme over-technical metal or something ?
29.12.2007 - 14:22
Rating: 6
Talvi

I'm hearing this right now and WOW, it's breathtaking. Love them, taking a riff, doing it in different rhythms, then into an atmospheric part, etc. Think this album will grow on me.

Edit: Fuck, it did. This is gonna become one of my favorite albums. And watch'em, they are in the studio and next album will come soon.
----
My account on other musical pages:
http://www.last.fm/user/Pozito/
http://rateyourmusic.com/~Talvi
16.04.2008 - 13:55
Rating: 10
addiction

first of all good review. small and straight to the point! although i am sure you could write way more on it, since this is an amazing album by an amazing band! i saw them last night and i was impressed! not only becuase of their music but because they are also cool guys and easy to talk to!
great album! cant wait to buy the new one!
----
alive in the superunknown
09.01.2011 - 01:56
Ragana
Rawrcat
I've haven't heard it all yet, but I think I already love it... err, that is, like it a lot, of course. Sounds like the type of music Opeth makes which I'm not a fan of, so I guess this really gotta be a good album.
28.10.2011 - 02:58
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
Ya! really great album, Vocals like this could bother me easily but they fit the music very well when it comes together. When the Singer Sings he sings well.
----
Coldgrits

Hits total: 6972 | This month: 6