Metal Storm logo
Guitar Build. Help Me Pick A Bucker!

04.05.2012 - 17:54
Branzig
OK, so I am hot-rodding my Strat. I got hooked up with a new pick-guard and the first thing I want to do is get a nice medium to high out-put humbucker for the bridge position.

This isn't going to be a metal machine, I already have guitars for that. It's going to stay in standard tuning and I will use it mostly for jamming with buds who want to play more blues-rock oriented stuff all the way up to guys looking to play hardcore punk...that's why the bucker has to be versatile. I need to be able to roll off the bite with the volume knob, but still be able to crank it and play twangy punk (A la East Bay Ray!!!!).

My problem is I don't have much experience with buckers that aren't active. I have had Duncan Invaders and I thought they were muddy garbage. I have used stock fenders and they SUCK so bad haha. SO BAD. Gibson's are good, but I've found that they are only good in mahogany bodied guitars or else they get too bright, so obviously not going in my Strat haha. Just looking for some recommendations really if you guys have any....

I will post pictures of my build as I go if you guys are interested too. I'll be doing some wiring, possible hardware swaps, bridge decking, etc.
----
In Grind We Crust
05.05.2012 - 03:47
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Branzig on 04.05.2012 at 17:54

OK, so I am hot-rodding my Strat. I got hooked up with a new pick-guard and the first thing I want to do is get a nice medium to high out-put humbucker for the bridge position.

This isn't going to be a metal machine, I already have guitars for that. It's going to stay in standard tuning and I will use it mostly for jamming with buds who want to play more blues-rock oriented stuff all the way up to guys looking to play hardcore punk...that's why the bucker has to be versatile. I need to be able to roll off the bite with the volume knob, but still be able to crank it and play twangy punk (A la East Bay Ray!!!!).

My problem is I don't have much experience with buckers that aren't active. I have had Duncan Invaders and I thought they were muddy garbage. I have used stock fenders and they SUCK so bad haha. SO BAD. Gibson's are good, but I've found that they are only good in mahogany bodied guitars or else they get too bright, so obviously not going in my Strat haha. Just looking for some recommendations really if you guys have any....

I will post pictures of my build as I go if you guys are interested too. I'll be doing some wiring, possible hardware swaps, bridge decking, etc.

I'd like to see pictures, but I have no idea to help Seymour Duncans is what my friend (who works at a music store) recommends to me, but I don't know if that's what you want, Assuming Duncan invaders are SD's.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
06.05.2012 - 03:54
Branzig
Written by Boxcar Willy on 05.05.2012 at 03:47

I'd like to see pictures, but I have no idea to help Seymour Duncans is what my friend (who works at a music store) recommends to me, but I don't know if that's what you want, Assuming Duncan invaders are SD's.

OK i'll document as I go. I am thinking Duncan JB's maybe. The invaders are too muddy for my taste. I've heard a lot of good things about Dimazzro too, but I have never played one.
----
In Grind We Crust
06.05.2012 - 04:39
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Branzig on 06.05.2012 at 03:54

Written by Boxcar Willy on 05.05.2012 at 03:47

OK i'll document as I go. I am thinking Duncan JB's maybe. The invaders are too muddy for my taste. I've heard a lot of good things about Dimazzro too, but I have never played one.

I look forward to seeing it

I should be ordering mine soon! I finally got the funds to buy it :p
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
08.05.2012 - 17:19
Branzig
Ok, change of plans. I decided against the humbucker haha. I have been playing a lot of blues lately and I just don't want to lose that awesome strat twang. So I am going to be buying some hot single coils and install them instead
----
In Grind We Crust
09.05.2012 - 02:58
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Branzig on 08.05.2012 at 17:19

Ok, change of plans. I decided against the humbucker haha. I have been playing a lot of blues lately and I just don't want to lose that awesome strat twang. So I am going to be buying some hot single coils and install them instead

Well, choice is yours

I'd probably go that route anyway, but on a Tele

Pics?
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS