Metal Storm logo
The Fall of Flower Metal - Power Metal 2012 MK II

Original post

Posted by R'Vannith, 04.05.2012 - 20:10
Looking for the 2012 Power metal recommendations thread today but it, along with its creator 'Flower Metal', seems to have disappeared from the face of the internet... Anyway, here we go again, recommend some Power metal from this year you have heard!

I'll leave all suggestions up here in alphabetical order (I can't recall most of the suggestions made in the previous thread so if you could leave them again that would be good):

Albums on MS:
3 Inches Of Blood - Long Live Heavy Metal (as you probably guessed from the title this is more heavy rather than power metal)
Amberian Dawn - Circus Black (Symphonic Power)
Axel Rudi Pell - Circle Of The Oath (Heavy/Power)
Black Majesty - Stargazer (Power)
Brendon Small - Brendon Small's Galaktikon (Alternative/Heavy/Power) Review by Ag Fox
Damnation Angels - Bringer Of Light (Symphonic Power)
Dark Empire - From Refuge To Ruin (Progressive Power) Review by Ag Fox
Dol Ammad - Cosmic Gods Episode I: Hyperspeed (Electronic/Symphonic/Progressive Power)
DragonForce - The Power Within (has more going for it than you might anticipate)
Drakkar - When Lightning Strikes (Symphonic Power) Review by MoraWintersoul
Fall Of Eden - The Warrior (Extreme Power) Review by MoraWintersoul
Firewind - Few Against Many (Heavy/Power)
Freedom Call - Land Of The Crimson Dawn (Power)
Gaia Epicus - Dark Secrets (Power)
Grave Digger - Clash Of The Gods (Heavy/Power)
Iron Fire - Voyage Of The Damned (Slightly Progressive Power)
Lonewolf - Army Of The Damned (Heavy/Power)
Luca Turilli's Rhapsody - Ascending To Infinity (Symphonic Power) Review by Baz Anderson
Malice - New Breed Of Godz (Heavy/Power)
Mezarkabul - MMXII (Heavy/Thrash/Power)
Nightmare - The Burden Of God (Heavy/Power) Review by Ag Fox
Pathfinder - Fifth Element (Symphonic Power)
Pharaoh - Bury The Light (US/Heavy Power) Review by Doc Godin
Primal Fear - Unbreakable (Heavy/Power)
Rage - 21 (Heavy/Thrash Power)
ReinXeed - Welcome To The Theater (Symphonic Power)
Sabaton - Carolus Rex (Heavy/Power) Review by Baz Anderson
Saratoga - Nemesis (Heavy/Power)
Savage Messiah - Plague Of Conscience (Thrash/Power) Review by Doc Godin
Shear - Breaking The Stillness (Power)
Six Magics - Falling Angels (Power)
Sonata Arctica - Stones Grow Her Name (Power) Review by Baz Anderson
Steelwing - Zone Of Alienation (Heavy/Power) Review by MoraWintersoul
Unisonic - Unisonic (Power)
Vendetta - World Under Fire (Heavy/Power)
White Skull - Under This Flag (Heavy/Power)

Albums not on MS (with some links to some tracks if possible):

Ascension - Far Beyond The Stars (Power)
Book Of Reflections - Relentless Fighter (Power)
Crimson Shadows - Glory On The Battlefield (Extreme Power)
Crow7 - Symphony Of Souls (Progressive Power)
Dragony - Legends (Power)
Elixir - Unleash The Magic (Power)
Guadaña(Scythe) - El Grito Del Silencio (The Cry Of Silence) (Heavy/Power with Spanish vocals)
Holy Knights - Between Daylight and Pain (Symphonic Power)
Katana - Storms Of War (Power)
Kemilon - Twisted Storm (Progressive Power)
Last Kingdom - Chronicles of The North (Power)
Lothloryen - Raving Souls Society (Power)
New Eden - Solving For X (Heavy/Power)
Nocturne Moonrise - Into The Romaunt (Power)
Pandaemonium - The Last Prayer (Power)
Phoenix Rising (formerly known as Quinta Enmienda) - MMXII (Symphonic Power)
Sacred Blood - Alexandros (Heavy/Power)
Shadowdance - Future Negative Fantasy (Progressive Power)
A Sound Of Thunder - Out Of The Darkness (Female Fronted Heavy/Power)
Sleepy Hollow - Skull 13 (US Power)
Teodasia - Upwards (Female Fronted Symphonic/Power)
Winterstorm - Kings Will Fall (Power)
Winters Verge (Heavy/Power)
03.09.2012 - 20:13
Druss

Grave Digger's newest album, Clash Of The Gods (Power/heavy metal) is out, and is pretty surprising in how good it is. Its all very chorus heavy and simple, but it hits hard, and the guitars really shine at times here, this is basically what heavy power metal's meant to be. Give the title track a try, complete with a sweet ass Greek theme, I heavily recommend it.

While its been mentioned before, Holy Knight's latest, Between Daylight And Pain (Symph/prog power metal) seems to take a heavy influence (at least to these ears) from Kamelot, relatively complex song structures, abundant keys and classical touches here and there, for fans of the latter, this album might be for you. Here's the first track, Mistery for anyone who's interested.

On the more heavy metal side of things, Herman Frank, Accept's guitarist has released his second solo album, Right In The Guts, and like the title suggests, when this album is in full flow, it'll punch you right in t-....yeah. This is no-frills heavy metal, catchy, relatively simple, and boy does it kick ass. The vocals are probably the weakest thing about the album for me, not enough range and this is revealed towards the third quarter of the album where things slow down a bit, but still, overall this is a very pleasing album indeed, glad to see Herman's taken a few pointers from his main band. Enjoy the title track and if you like what you hear, give 'em a vote up in the Band Suggestions.
22.09.2012 - 16:47
feather_light

Update time!

Another great outing by Italian prog/power metallers Vision Divine! (Fabio Lione's on the vocals!)

Also in case anyone's wondering, DF's ex-vocalist ZP Theart ended up singing in this 2012-created power act:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrmVsGwRqzw&feature=related (not sure how I hadn't listened to it until now)

In a couple of days we're also getting two albums from the french Kerion and italian Thy Majestie (respective album covers here and here - I think Lione is also singing somewhere on this one)

Next up is Machinae Supremacy's "Rise of a Digital Nation" on October 19th ( link ),
Galneryus' "Angel of Salvation" on October 10th ( link ),
Galderia's first full album "Universality" sometime in November (album cover looks cool ),

and Crystallion, Dreamtale and Derdian are expected to release their newest full-lenghts around December 2012, though so far the only thing I know is that Crystallion's album is called "Killer".
----
22.09.2012 - 21:18
GhostofCain

Written by Druss on 03.09.2012 at 20:13

Grave Digger's newest album, Clash Of The Gods (Power/heavy metal) is out, and is pretty surprising in how good it is. Its all very chorus heavy and simple, but it hits hard, and the guitars really shine at times here, this is basically what heavy power metal's meant to be. Give the title track a try, complete with a sweet ass Greek theme, I heavily recommend it.

While its been mentioned before, Holy Knight's latest, Between Daylight And Pain (Symph/prog power metal) seems to take a heavy influence (at least to these ears) from Kamelot, relatively complex song structures, abundant keys and classical touches here and there, for fans of the latter, this album might be for you. Here's the first track, Mistery for anyone who's interested.

On the more heavy metal side of things, Herman Frank, Accept's guitarist has released his second solo album, Right In The Guts, and like the title suggests, when this album is in full flow, it'll punch you right in t-....yeah. This is no-frills heavy metal, catchy, relatively simple, and boy does it kick ass. The vocals are probably the weakest thing about the album for me, not enough range and this is revealed towards the third quarter of the album where things slow down a bit, but still, overall this is a very pleasing album indeed, glad to see Herman's taken a few pointers from his main band. Enjoy the title track and if you like what you hear, give 'em a vote up in the Band Suggestions.

Thank's for the recommendation for Holy Knights, I'm checking out some of their stuff on youtube right now. I have to say, I checked them out based on your comparison to Kamelot. To me they sound more like Rhapsody. Actually they sound a lot like Rhapsody, and not so much Kamelot.
23.09.2012 - 19:46
Druss

Written by GhostofCain on 22.09.2012 at 21:18
Thank's for the recommendation for Holy Knights, I'm checking out some of their stuff on youtube right now. I have to say, I checked them out based on your comparison to Kamelot. To me they sound more like Rhapsody. Actually they sound a lot like Rhapsody, and not so much Kamelot.

The reason for the comparison to Kamelot and not RoF is that recently enough I've delved into some of Kamelot's stuff (as per recommended to me here), whereas I have no experience with RoF, apart from Luca Turilli's latest. Added to that is the fact I rarely enough enjoy symphonic power metal, so I'm not really an expert on the sound lol
23.09.2012 - 23:48
GhostofCain

Written by Druss on 23.09.2012 at 19:46

Written by GhostofCain on 22.09.2012 at 21:18

The reason for the comparison to Kamelot and not RoF is that recently enough I've delved into some of Kamelot's stuff (as per recommended to me here), whereas I have no experience with RoF, apart from Luca Turilli's latest. Added to that is the fact I rarely enough enjoy symphonic power metal, so I'm not really an expert on the sound lol

Yeah I can see if you're new to symphonic metal they would sound similar to Kamelot. Which they do to a certain extent, but to me Kamelot has always had a more diverse, rich, and progressive sound than most other symph power metal bands. In fact when you get to The Black Halo (2005) if you already haven't, you'll see what I mean. But in my opinion, Kamelot really set themselves far from the pack with Karma (2001) and even some of the The Fourth Legacy (1999). Have fun exploring Kamelot, they're a great and unique band and some of their material takes time much like most brilliant material does.
30.09.2012 - 18:47
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Tons of new stuff out lately I need to add to the thread, and thanks for all those suggestions guys! Lately though nothing has my attention more than (the one you mentioned Infinitum) the new Thy Majestie album "ShiHuangDi". They handle the theme very tastefully, no gimmicks and only make subtle changes to their sound to add to the theme. Really enjoying it so far. Oh and Lione is indeed on it!

And that Vision Divine album is currently in the top 20! A rare feat for power metal these days so that''l be next to check out.
02.12.2012 - 14:28
feather_light

The year's pretty much over, so I'll mention any new 2012 albums and bands that caught my attention.

• Downpour was released in September by Balflare. Next to the new Galneryus it's the best thing out of japanese neoclassical power this year. The album can't be found anywhere online as of yet though, probably because of that new law regarding downloading / uploading in Japan.

• Calling the Gods by Civilization One is out! (it's Somapala's main band now)

• Praying to the World is Dawn of Destiny's latest outing. A little too much on the gothic side for me, still enjoyable though.

• Devon , a new Brazilian power metal band. Heavy on the keyboard.

• Dragon Guardian is on fire this year, with second 2012 album "Polyphony" released just 5 months after their previous one. It's japanese power, you know what to expect. No 8-bit gimmicks this time, although I admit those were a guilty pleasure.

• Unleashed by Emerald (Switzerland). Really fun Heavy / Power.

• New Empires of Eden ! Rob Rock is in it.

• Unholy Rites by Fatal Force. Power metal from Denmark. Not bad.

• Fogalord is a new italian power metal band! Most of its' members are in Synthphonia Suprema. Ever wondered what pure flowery italian metal sounds like nowadays? There you have it.

• Next Level by Fullforce is finally here! I don't know why this band has so little recognition. Both albums so far are ace!

• Universality by Galderia has arrived, and it is stellar. Probably what Freedom Call would be like if their vocalist sounded more like Hansen.

• Golden Resurrection has leaked as well. I swear Tommy ReinXeed is restless and relentless...

• Silverthorn by Kamelot. This definitely has to be up there! It's probably the most known band I've mentioned 'til now.

• Liv Moon has released two albums this year as well. Japanese symphonic stuff. Japan never stops, it seems.

• New Mob Rules . Can't get enough of it!

• New Orden Ogan , of course. The last two mentions are probably one of the biggest current names in power metal.

• Pellek is the side-project of Damnation Angels' vocalist PelleK (see the connection). Tommy ReinXeed has a lead role in this one too. He's everywhere. He's like the Bob Macabre of power metal.

• Pertness are back! Sleek heavy / power from Switzerland again.

• Pursuit of Power is an unknown hard rock / power metal band from the US. Not too shabby.

• Have no fear, Rebellion is here. These album covers keep getting better and better too.

• Silent Poetry also made a new album. Not really fond of the vocals...

• Twilights of Sand by Skylark would be an obvious mention. A step up for Skylark!

• Skywings has put out a new EP. Yet another 2012 japanese melodic power outing, but I liked it nonetheless.

• Sonic Pulse are a new power / thrash metal band from the US...and yeah, this is a demoniac (pre-dragonforce) cover. I don't think they're taking themselves too seriously.

• SoulSpell! ! Lots of great guest vocalists!

• Sound Storm made a second album. More italian symphonic stuff for those who crave it.

• Tomorrow's Outlook debuted this year. They' have a fairly laid-back, soft power/progressive style. Stumbled on them by accident, but it's a good find really. Kiske sings in it!

• Trick or Treat was just a month late for Halloween - I actually typed helloween in there, edited it- ! Happy italian metal, should be more recognized now that Conti sings in Luca Turilli's Rhapsody.

• Wind Rose is a new power/progressive band from Tuscany. Same boat as Sound Storm.

• New Secret Sphere , nuff said.

• New Circus Maximus . Perfect alternative for the lack of Seventh Wonder lately.

• Last but not least, BloodBound . The concept is a bit weird and forced, but BloodBound rarely disappoint in their sound, so there you have it.

I wonder if we'll get anything interesting in December. Persuader, Derdian, Crystallion, Saidian and Logar's Diary are supposed to release their new albums this month, and I'm looking forward to everything (especially Logar's Diary), but a lack of exact date worries me that they'll be postponed to next year, like Dreamtale.

Also italians Shadows of Steel and french Heavenly have announced through their respective facebook official profiles that a new album is on the way. SoS have claimed that their album "Crown of Steel" will be released this month. Their last album went out in 2002, so I really hope they become part of this late Italian resurrection (see Holy Knights & Athlantis) and churn out something good.
----
03.12.2012 - 13:58
FeskarN

Will be checking out some for sure!
----
The Land Is Silent... Before The Storm!
29.12.2012 - 07:33
Ag Fox
Angel No More
No one mentioned Soulitude - Requiem For A Dead Planet, so I thought I'd drop it here.
Pretty good, and very much overlooked
----
loves 小巫
31.12.2012 - 17:21
Druss

Seen as I haven't posted in here for a while, and it is New Year's Eve, gonna leave the title track from Harllequin's Hellakin Rider here. Now, I still haven't listened to the whole thing, but from this track (and the other one on Youtube currently, ''Three Days In Hell'') and the concept of the album (something about a troop of riders banished to Hell, or something along those lines), I know I'll definately be getting my hands on it at some point. Really lovin' the Manilla Road-ish vocals of this song.

And a honourable mention to Scorcher's Armageddon From The Sky, while I've only tried a few ones from it (again, from Youtube, Astral Prison probably being my favourite from what I've heard so far), I don't think its for me, vocals aren't all that special, but it is a one-man project, so I've a bit of respect for it, and some of you may enjoy it.
02.01.2013 - 13:33
Metalandy92

I wouldn't really call the new Freedom call album Power metal,it was more pop.
04.01.2013 - 00:52
feather_light

So yeah, as I initially suspected, none of the aforementioned bands put anything out in December. Will have to wait for 2013 or maybe even 2014.

Anyway, round-up on some stuff we forgot regarding 2012:

• Suncrown is an international group that made its' debut this year (I mean 2012).

• Arthemis also put an album out earlier in 2012. I'm not really fond of what these guys make anymore...

• Secret Illusion released an EP with their probably three best songs. Gotta back these guys up, since they're Greek.

• Beware the japanese-anime metal, Iron Attack! dude has released 2 albums this year. That's low considered to the average of 4-5 albums he puts out per year!

• New Versailles , typical visual kei japanese stuff.

• Ghosthill released their second album in September.

• New Rimortis , a band from Czech Republic. I have no idea what they're saying, sounds pretty awesome though.

• How could I forget Charlie Shred ? It is what the title claims, essentially. If it sounds vaguely familiar, it's because Tommy ReinXeed is in this one too.

• Last one on the list, Dreamstoria is like the seventh project of Leo Figaro. He's the Tommy ReinXeed of Japan, most likely.

Soulitude, as the guy above me said, looks cool but I haven't really gone through it. Same with Andre Matos' latest.

Just a heads up, lots of stuff to be expected in 2013. New Helloween and Avantasia would be the obvious, but there's also news of Heavenly and Powerwolf releasing their next full-length in the summer.

As for now, power metal of 2013 starts with Shadow Host and Majesty tomorrow!
----
06.01.2013 - 00:59
IronAngel

Just checked out Pharaoh's album, it's actually pretty cool. Also enjoyed Heavy Metal Perse's sophomore, they've matured nicely.

I can't stand most power metal anymore, though. Anything that reminds you of Lost Horizon's A Flame To... this year? I got really excited about that album again recently.