02. In The Embrace Of Eternal Sunshine
03. Deadly Desire
04. Passion Blackfathom Deeps
05. Under The Great Dome
06. So Long And So Recently
07. Pamyat
08. Mayatrik
09. Requiem

Tears Of Mankind are a one man (Phil) melodic death-doom act out of Russia. Phil pumped out a whopping 9 demos before cutting Tears' first album, Without Ray of Hope in 2006. Memoria marks the fourth Phil full-length? Dude has been pretty busy.

Memoria is pleasant enough - an odd description for a death-doom album, I suppose. It has all the requisite ingredients - instrumental intro, melodic riffs, crushing power chords, quiet interludes, layers of keyboards, growled vocals, yada yada yada. As a wrinkle half the album is in English, half in Russian.

Most the songs on the album are seven to nine minutes in length and, as with the components, the structures also fit what you would expect. All of this made "Under The Dome" an attention grabber? the song is a midpace yet upbeat almost doom via goth-rock flavored track that breaks up any monotony that may have set in with the formulaic songs.

I listened to the album no less than a dozen times over the last couple weeks while trying to write this review. At no point in this process did I think, "Ugh. I have to sit through this. Again? I think I'd rather go play in traffic." However at no point in this process did I find myself particularly fired up at the prospect of listening to Memoria.

All this is part of the reason why this review has taken so long to write. It's a decent album which meets expectations of what I like, but nothing that really blows me away. I don't want to slam the album or come across as negative, as I certainly do not dislike it? it's good? but just not terribly evocative in a genre based on pushing harsh emotions.

For those looking at perhaps getting in to slightly more extreme doom, this might be a decent starting point as it has the components, isn't particularly abrasive or terrifying, and at least is more kvlt than picking up one of the Big Three.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 6
Production: 8

Written on 08.05.2012 by BitterCOld has been officially reviewing albums for MetalStorm since 2009.

Comments

Comments: 6   Visited by: 59 users
09.05.2012 - 16:30
Merchant of Doom

First to comment! The main album is a bit hit as miss, like all other Tears Of Mankind's albums. For some reason, I adore the 3 tracks in Russian, especially Requiem. If I'm not mistaken (I read it somewhere, maybe Solitude Prod's website), they are about Phil's childhood memories (hence the album's title)...

EDIT: I meant the song "Vino Pamyati", which you don't list as a track... but it's included in my CD. BTW, what's the Birmingham Three? You mean the Peaceville Three? If so, Anathema are from Liverpool, My Dying Bride from Bradford and Paradise Lost from Halifax! But maybe I don't get it...
09.05.2012 - 16:48
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Merchant of Doom on 09.05.2012 at 16:30
...what's the Birmingham Three?

Googled it and got a lot of weird reports on some clergy member being excommunicated or something.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
09.05.2012 - 18:10
Merchant of Doom

Written by Troy Killjoy on 09.05.2012 at 16:48

Written by Merchant of Doom on 09.05.2012 at 16:30
...what's the Birmingham Three?

Googled it and got a lot of weird reports on some clergy member being excommunicated or something.

well, yes... I did the same...
09.05.2012 - 19:49
Rating: 7
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Yikes, was meant to be "Big Three"...
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
10.05.2012 - 09:45
Merchant of Doom

Written by BitterCOld on 09.05.2012 at 19:49

Yikes, was meant to be "Big Three"...

Looks like you got confused with the Birmingham Six....
10.05.2012 - 09:50
Rating: 7
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Merchant of Doom on 10.05.2012 at 09:45

Looks like you got confused with the Birmingham Six....

not exactly, but SIx was involved. i wrote the review after drinking a sixer and that might have caused some confusion.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!

Hits total: 3980 | This month: 5