02. Ghoul
03. Possessed
04. Lord Of Swords
05. Helvete
06. Mouth Of Madness
07. Unholy Paragon
08. Sacrifice [Bathory cover]
09. Morbid Lust

Well, nowadays the Norwegian scene doesn't seem to be as great and productive as it was back in the first half of the 90s. At this time of decomposition of the scene the moment for Tsjuder, one of the most promising underground Norwegian black metal bands, comes to appear and show how the music we loved back in the first half of the 90s should be played. "Desert Northern Hell" is their new album and it is pure raw and grim black metal, with some references to the dirty thrash sound of the first half of the 80s (Bathory, Venom?). If you're searching for keyboards you should stop reading this review and forget about Tsjuder because the guitars are enough to evoke a threatening and nocturnal feeling and an intense evil atmosphere in the air. I guess "No synthesizers, no female vocals, No Fucking Compromises" says it all!

The first question that might come to the mind of the reader of this review is "do they play something new?" The answer is simple - "no, they don't play anything new and they won't lead the black metal scene anywhere innovative". What they're playing is pure Norwegian black metal, with a thrash sense at times, in the vein we all loved and they're so damn proud about it that they succeed in sounding great!

The drumming is raging and evoking a war-like imposing feeling in the air and the guitars move in the renowned fiery razor blade soundscapes burning the shrouds with their repetitive but inspired structure. The vocals are in the vein of early Bathory ("Bathory" - "Under the Sign Of the Black Mark" era) albeit with a more 90s approach, sounding very expressive and enriching the overall menacing abysmal atmosphere (by the way, the Bathory cover on "Sacrifice" is magnificent!).

"Desert Northern Hell" flows as one from its very beginning until its very last second, keeping the interest of the listener at high levels and making him want to listen more and more to their music. I can say that they succeed in this because as days pass by this album becomes more and more addictive. Every song is condemned to be an epic live one and by saying that I mean that all the songs on "Desert Northern Hell" are live show dynamites that would lead the audience anytime to endless and fierce headbanging.

The album consists of 9 compositions yet it's really difficult to choose my favorite ones since it is so damn great! The whole album is played in a fast tempo, with some mid-tempo rhythmic parts at times. The album flows wonderfully with great songs like "Malignant Coronation", "Ghoul", "Mouth Of Madness", Unholy Paragon" and the 11-minute opus "Morbid Lust" that leaves you wondering how a band can be so inspired playing something that is not new yet having such a superb and pure feeling!

I guess this is an album for all the traditional Norwegian Black Metal adorers and I am sure that Tsjuder won't disappoint you! Don't expect anything new, but be prepared for something well-played and very inspired.

Written on 25.08.2005 by "It is myself I have never met, whose face is pasted on the underside of my mind."

Comments

Comments: 27   Visited by: 63 users
09.05.2012 - 21:59
Rating: 9
Nordwolf

Great review, exactly what i think too
20.10.2014 - 13:21
Dr. Strawberry

The review is damn contradictary.

As the reviewer said, "...The album consists of 9 compositions yet it's really difficult to choose my favorite ones since it is so damn great...", eventually this album received 7.5 from him.

This album is their best !
20.10.2014 - 13:32
Zap
Written by Dr. Strawberry on 20.10.2014 at 13:21

As the reviewer said, "...The album consists of 9 compositions yet it's really difficult to choose my favorite ones since it is so damn great...", eventually this album received 7.5 from him.

When are you gonna explain what's contradictory about it?
20.10.2014 - 13:44
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Yeah it seems pretty clear that this album did not score higher because it's not original. That shows good objective critiquing
20.10.2014 - 14:09
Zap
Written by Guest on 20.10.2014 at 13:44

Yeah it seems pretty clear that this album did not score higher because it's not original. That shows good objective critiquing

Indeed. I think it's mostly another case of someone being too distracted by the number next to the review to actually read the review, aka "0MG DIS ONLY GETS 7.5?!?!???"
20.10.2014 - 15:23
Vombatus
Potorro
7,5 is a very good score... even if by MS standards everything less than 8 must be crap
21.10.2014 - 08:59
Dr. Strawberry

Written by Zap on 20.10.2014 at 13:32

Written by Dr. Strawberry on 20.10.2014 at 13:21

When are you gonna explain what's contradictory about it?

Isn't it clear enough ?
So Damn Great = 7.5 ?
21.10.2014 - 09:01
Dr. Strawberry

Written by Vombatus on 20.10.2014 at 15:23

7,5 is a very good score... even if by MS standards everything less than 8 must be crap

Yes, thanks for your support ! 7.5 is "very good" but not "so damn great".
21.10.2014 - 09:07
Dr. Strawberry

Written by Guest on 20.10.2014 at 13:44

Not original ? This is a traditional black metal style album, I don't know what is the expectation of the reviewer, it's not clearly stated.
Unless he thinks only avantgarde or experimental black deserves a 9 or 10.
21.10.2014 - 13:24
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Dr. Strawberry on 21.10.2014 at 09:07

Not original ? This is a traditional black metal style album, I don't know what is the expectation of the reviewer, it's not clearly stated.

The first question that might come to the mind of the reader of this review is "do they play something new?" The answer is simple - "no, they don't play anything new and they won't lead the black metal scene anywhere innovative".

I guess this is an album for all the traditional Norwegian Black Metal adorers and I am sure that Tsjuder won't disappoint you! Don't expect anything new

Sounds like the reviewer knows exactly what his expectations are. A band cannot keep reviving the same style over and over again and expect to get high scores. A band playing "traditional black metal" in 2004 that doesn't do anything out of the ordinary IS unoriginal and does not deserve anything above a 7.5. The reviewer quite clearly differentiates his personal like of the album and the objective notion that it's not that valuable on the whole.

Also there is a huge gap between a trad black metal band doing nothing new and bands that play experimental and avant-garde music. In fact most bands probably fall somewhere in between those two ideas so your comment about only avant-garde or experimental black deserving a 9 or 10 is invalid as bands can do more traditional styles whilst injecting unique ideas into them without being considered avant-garde.

Read, learn, understand
21.10.2014 - 13:45
Rating: 7
Ilham
Giant robot
7.5 is more than enough for this. People really have to stop thinking every piece of music that doesn't suck deserves a nine out of ten. In this case you have to weigh in the "relevancy" of the album as well. Music is produced in a context, and that context matters. Especially when it comes to Tsjuder, who never had anything new or interesting to add a black metal scene that was booming with innovation in the early 2000s.
21.10.2014 - 13:53
Dr. Strawberry

Written by Guest on 21.10.2014 at 13:24

Written by Dr. Strawberry on 21.10.2014 at 09:07

The first question that might come to the mind of the reader of this review is "do they play something new?" The answer is simple - "no, they don't play anything new and they won't lead the black metal scene anywhere innovative".

I guess this is an album for all the traditional Norwegian Black Metal adorers and I am sure that Tsjuder won't disappoint you! Don't expect anything new

Sounds like the reviewer knows exactly what his expectations are. A band cannot keep reviving the same style over and over again and expect to get high scores. A band playing "traditional black metal" in 2004 that doesn't do anything out of the ordinary IS unoriginal and does not deserve anything above a 7.5. The reviewer quite clearly differentiates his personal like of the album and the objective notion that it's not that valuable on the whole.

Also there is a huge gap between a trad black metal band doing nothing new and bands that play experimental and avant-garde music. In fact most bands probably fall somewhere in between those two ideas so your comment about only avant-garde or experimental black deserving a 9 or 10 is invalid as bands can do more traditional styles whilst injecting unique ideas into them without being considered avant-garde.

Read, learn, understand

Yeah...fully understood. I forgot the magic of multiplication. Thanks !
"Now they're damn great but they only get 7.5, if they try to be more innovative then they should be able to score a 8.0 (damn damn great). Same theory applied, if they need a 9.0, then they got to be damn damn damn damn great !
21.10.2014 - 13:58
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Dr. Strawberry on 21.10.2014 at 13:53

Yeah...fully understood. I forgot the magic of multiplication. Thanks !
"Now they're damn great but they only get 7.5, if they try to be more innovative then they should be able to score a 8.0 (damn damn great). Same theory applied, if they need a 9.0, then they got to be damn damn damn damn great !

I'd say if you read and understand the review as a whole you would know that the reviewer personally finds the songs on here great to listen to, but the total lack of ideas prevents it from getting a score deserved for bands with more creativity. If you're going to take parts of the review out of context it's no wonder you don't get it. As Ilham said, a 7.5 for an album doing nothing new is a great score.
21.10.2014 - 14:01
Dr. Strawberry

Written by Ilham on 21.10.2014 at 13:45

7.5 is more than enough for this. People really have to stop thinking every piece of music that doesn't suck deserves a nine out of ten. In this case you have to weigh in the "relevancy" of the album as well. Music is produced in a context, and that context matters. Especially when it comes to Tsjuder, who never had anything new or interesting to add a black metal scene that was booming with innovation in the early 2000s.

Context ? Interesting, so...Black Metal is a fashion ? Which band is in the right context and in the lead now ?
21.10.2014 - 14:03
Rating: 7
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by Dr. Strawberry on 21.10.2014 at 14:01

Context ? Interesting, so...Black Metal is a fashion ? Which band is in the right context and in the lead now ?

You know damn well what I am talking about. I'm not going to explain myself once again just because you want to twist my words out of their original meaning.
21.10.2014 - 14:09
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted

In and around 2003, 2004 and 2005 you had boundary pushing / breaking black metal albums (regardless of whether or not you personally like them) from Drudkh, Blut aus Nord, The Axis of Perdition, Transcending Bizarre?, Dark Tribe, Enslaved, Velvet Cacoon, The Ruins of Beverast, Shining, Sigh, Alcest, The Meads of Asphodel, Ofermod, Lurker of Chalice and many more. There's your context and why this album is worth no more than 7.5. What the current context of black metal is is besides the point and off-topic here.
21.10.2014 - 14:17
Dr. Strawberry

Written by Guest on 21.10.2014 at 14:09

In and around 2003, 2004 and 2005 you had boundary pushing / breaking black metal albums (regardless of whether or not you personally like them) from Drudkh, Blut aus Nord, The Axis of Perdition, Transcending Bizarre?, Dark Tribe, Enslaved, Velvet Cacoon, The Ruins of Beverast, Shining, Sigh, Alcest, The Meads of Asphodel, Ofermod, Lurker of Chalice and many more. There's your context and why this album is worth no more than 7.5. What the current context of black metal is is besides the point and off-topic here.

I really don't like you to compare in this way as those bands mentioned tend to mix some "creative" elements in original black style. I like their new styles but I won't say that their "innovatios" shown "improvements". They're totally different and not comparable.
21.10.2014 - 14:22
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Dr. Strawberry on 21.10.2014 at 14:17

I really don't like you to compare in this way as those bands mentioned tend to mix some "creative" elements in original black style. I like their new styles but I won't say that their "innovatios" shown "improvements". They're totally different and not comparable.

Of course they're comparable. Many, if not most, of those bands have basically the same origins of style compared to Tsjuder, i.e. black metal, and those bands are doing far more creative things and showing ingenuity that in some cases have veins of influence that can be seen today because of them (your "improvement" in a way; making new paths for overly-tread black metal routes is an improvement). On the other hand Desert Northern Hell isn't even a footnote in black metal. Its history will show that it was a good album for fans of traditional black metal and nothing more because it didn't "improve" on anything, only replicated what was already done. Nothing special whatsoever, and this review records exactly that. Even if many of these bands play different styles of black metal it shows you the climate, the "context," of black metal at the time and how Tsjuder were not relevant in any way.

On a personal note I don't like this album, not my kind of thing at all. This kind of generic "norsecore" black metal should have died a long time before this album emerged. The mere existence of Funeral Mist's 'Salvation' renders this album totally pointless really.
21.10.2014 - 21:35
Fearmeister
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 21.10.2014 at 14:09

You forgot Deathspell Omega, which released Circumspice this year as well

Anyway, I agree with the reviewer and Jooe. This is a type of black metal that's been played by hundreds or even thousands of bands at the time of its release. Not that I care too much about originality but when you are in this situation, you really need to have some fucking glorious songwriting to get above an 8 with me, which this album doesn't have. Its still a good album though and I'll easily recommend it to people who needs some more black metal in their life but that's all I can say about it.
21.10.2014 - 21:37
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 21.10.2014 at 21:35

You forgot Deathspell Omega, which released Circumspice this year as well

Damn, that was quite an omission. Probably the most important / significant BM album of the last decade.
23.10.2014 - 10:54
Dr. Strawberry

Written by Guest on 21.10.2014 at 14:22

Written by Dr. Strawberry on 21.10.2014 at 14:17

Of course they're comparable. Many, if not most, of those bands have basically the same origins of style compared to Tsjuder, i.e. black metal, and those bands are doing far more creative things and showing ingenuity that in some cases have veins of influence that can be seen today because of them (your "improvement" in a way; making new paths for overly-tread black metal routes is an improvement). On the other hand Desert Northern Hell isn't even a footnote in black metal. Its history will show that it was a good album for fans of traditional black metal and nothing more because it didn't "improve" on anything, only replicated what was already done. Nothing special whatsoever, and this review records exactly that. Even if many of these bands play different styles of black metal it shows you the climate, the "context," of black metal at the time and how Tsjuder were not relevant in any way.

On a personal note I don't like this album, not my kind of thing at all. This kind of generic "norsecore" black metal should have died a long time before this album emerged. The mere existence of Funeral Mist's 'Salvation' renders this album totally pointless really.

I'm talking about the 2nd wave of black metal and you're commparing them with the 3rd wave..., the 3rd wave is not really mature and still evolving at the moment...
We are not in the same universe/ context.
23.10.2014 - 12:39
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Dr. Strawberry on 23.10.2014 at 10:54

I'm talking about the 2nd wave of black metal and you're commparing them with the 3rd wave..., the 3rd wave is not really mature and still evolving at the moment...

Incorrect: it's the long-standing existence of second wave black metal which renders this album so unoriginal. By me saying this has been done before I am implying, and indirectly referencing, second wave black metal (and so was this review in a more direct way). This album should be compared to the climate it was originally made in, and this was not released back when second wave black metal was new and interesting; it was released when second wave black metal was tired and without ideas (exactly what this album is) and effectively obsolete. Try to think about what you're saying before you type it, or at least about concepts of originality when referenced in reviews.
23.10.2014 - 13:01
Dr. Strawberry

Written by Guest on 23.10.2014 at 12:39

Written by Dr. Strawberry on 23.10.2014 at 10:54

Incorrect: it's the long-standing existence of second wave black metal which renders this album so unoriginal. By me saying this has been done before I am implying, and indirectly referencing, second wave black metal (and so was this review in a more direct way). This album should be compared to the climate it was originally made in, and this was not released back when second wave black metal was new and interesting; it was released when second wave black metal was tired and without ideas (exactly what this album is) and effectively obsolete. Try to think about what you're saying before you type it, or at least about concepts of originality when referenced in reviews.

Planet A :
"...it was released when second wave black metal was " TIRED " and " WITHOUT IDEAS " (exactly what this album is) and effectively " OBSOLETE "..."
Planet B :
I am still Not Tired of 2nd wave of black metal even in year 2014 !
This album is still considered Full of Ideas, I didn't find it repeating or copying any black album in the past therefore it was so Damn Great !
This is not pop so it can't be Obsolete.

See, we're not in the same universe.
23.10.2014 - 13:06
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Dr. Strawberry on 23.10.2014 at 13:01

Planet A :
"...it was released when second wave black metal was " TIRED " and " WITHOUT IDEAS " (exactly what this album is) and effectively " OBSOLETE "..."
Planet B :
This album is still considered Full of Ideas, I didn't find it repeating or copying any black album in the past therefore it was so Damn Great !

Doesn't really matter when the reviewer is in the same universe as pretty much everyone else. Effective reviews take in consideration all areas of thought and that's why this album gets no more than a 7.5: he agrees this is a very good old-school black metal album for what it is but that its total lack of originality and new ideas means it gets nothing higher (and in my opinion an album such as this would never get higher). If we were to go with your methods reviews would be rendered totally useless.
23.10.2014 - 13:59
Dr. Strawberry

Written by Guest on 23.10.2014 at 13:06

Written by Dr. Strawberry on 23.10.2014 at 13:01

Planet A :
Planet B :

Doesn't really matter when the reviewer is in the same universe as pretty much everyone else. Effective reviews take in consideration all areas of thought and that's why this album gets no more than a 7.5: he agrees this is a very good old-school black metal album for what it is but that its total lack of originality and new ideas means it gets nothing higher (and in my opinion an album such as this would never get higher). If we were to go with your methods reviews would be rendered totally useless.

I havn't heard something similar to this album !
It's so Damn Good !
I'm Not Tired !
This would be the most popular trend for now and forever !
23.10.2014 - 14:11
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Dr. Strawberry on 23.10.2014 at 13:59

This would be the most popular trend for now and forever !

I sincerely hope not
22.07.2015 - 18:58
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
1th wave of BM beeds good mix, amster and professional studio work.... impression I get from this review ,
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 4851 | This month: 30