09. Rambling Words From A Sore Throat
10. Metamorphosis
11. Godsends And Hellbents
12. Primitive Doom

Staff review by
!J.O.O.E.!
Rating:
N/A
Genuine unique death metal: now there's a rarity. Much like the torment of Tantalus that which is heralded as innovative typically turns out to be typical, and continually out of reach of expectations. Those that proffer such "gems" usually adopt the form of egregious exaggerators, the fruit of their offerings usually bearing little more than banal, overproduced death metal standard with only a cosmetic melding of keyboards and unnecessary, wasteful technicality.

Read more ››
published 10.05.2012 | Comments (41)

So, already bored of Asphyx's recent derivative regurgitation of old school death metal? Fancy seeing what can be done with an old-school vibe when you apply brains and a modern aesthetic to it? No, I didn't think you would.

If though, on the hypothetical chance, you ARE interested in the best death metal of the year so far then you should hit up this crazy, mind-melting little number a.s.a.p.

!J.O.O.E.!'s picks | More picks ››

Found in 10 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 10   Visited by: 176 users
10.05.2012 - 21:19
Fredd
Account deleted
old school death/doom metal with a twist. i like.
13.05.2012 - 00:45
Rating: 9
InnerSelf
proofread free
Gotta get on this fast
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
15.05.2012 - 17:33
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Not as weird as I thought it would be, but it's some good old-school death metal with a personal twist nevertheless.
17.05.2012 - 17:46
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
I'm still weary about listening to this because it's been made to sound as if it's something that like... is unique. Usually I don't like something that isn't somewhat restricted, but my love of death metal should override the "weird" factor (I'm hoping).
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
17.05.2012 - 18:00
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 17.05.2012 at 17:46

I'm still weary about listening to this because it's been made to sound as if it's something that like... is unique. Usually I don't like something that isn't somewhat restricted, but my love of death metal should override the "weird" factor (I'm hoping).

I did probably overstate the weirdness. It's weird in the structural sense, rather than the sound of it, if that makes sense. Weird because it feels like I'm listening to Virus play death metal.
18.05.2012 - 06:58
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Guest on 17.05.2012 at 18:00
I did probably overstate the weirdness. It's weird in the structural sense, rather than the sound of it, if that makes sense.

Not digging or disliking as much as I thought I would. I was expecting a love or hate kind of response but I'm kind of... ambivalent? At times I'm reminded of the best of Atheist, at others the worst of Edge of Sanity.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
24.10.2013 - 04:17
Rating: 8
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
This is really good, must have missed it way back when.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
10.11.2013 - 00:07
Rating: 6
mz

Mixed feeling about this record. In theory, I should like it since it is death metal with virus vibe which I really love but something does not work for me. I guess it is because this record is neither extreme enough for me nor a non-extreme album. Cannot ignore that I wished some songs had clean vocals instead of death metal ones (which are not bad themselves, they just don't fit for me). This might seem absurd but this is how I feel after 3 spins.
I give this band credit for creating somehow experimental old school death metal but at the moment, it is far from my favorite death metal albums.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
16.08.2014 - 07:06
Rating: 9
Diverge

Man this album is sweet. I can't believe I missed this in 2012- it's pretty much exactly what I want in death metal these days.

As Troy pointed out, I hear a little Atheist and EoS, but I also hear a little Spiral Architect, I think. Maybe it's that lovely bass work.
16.08.2014 - 18:40
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
I don't even remember listening to this. I do remember not liking it though... maybe a re-visit is in order.
----

Hits total: 5996 | This month: 17