04. Hit Helga Tré
05. Æra
06. Heiðr
07. Valgaldr
08. Galgviðr
09. Surtr Sunnan
10. Gullaldr
11. Níðhöggr

Imagine this: During a weekend away from home, you decided to hit up as many fast food restaurants as humanly possible. But not just the major chains. You also make stops at all the small franchised take-out places that put the Triple Whopper to shame. You keep consuming and consuming until your stomach feels like it's been filled with bricks... This is a sure-fire sign that you need to take a shit. A big one. But you remember the last time you took a shit after a long weekend out... it was fucking unpleasant. And this time it's going to be much, much worse.

That's an analogy, in case you were wondering. Varg Vikernes, GENIUS MASTERMIND OF GLORIOUS BLACK METAL PROJECT Burzum, has been releasing - for lack of a better term - quite a stream of shit since his release from prison. Belus, Fallen, and now Umskiptar. Somewhere in there exists a compilation of re-recorded shit, too. Probably the result of too many trips to the little take-out chains. This shit is much different than before, however. This time around we're exposed to something far more shitty. Umskiptar marks a major departure from any of the shit Varg's been involved with before... although that doesn't necessarily mean it's not shitty as well. In fact, I'm just gonna go ahead and say it right now. This album is the worst of a bad bunch. Shit.

Having essentially moved away completely from the dark, atmospheric black metal of yore, Varg is now seemingly interested in "paying homage" to the likes of Bathory and early Enslaved by playing some stripped down version of what people back in the day called viking metal. The problem is the complete lack of anything going on. This album takes simplicity and meandering to an entirely different level. Rather than beautifully composed epic melodious black metal anthems, encouraging atmospheric tales of fantasy and historical wars, or even the traditional grim and frostbitten stylings of the second wave (of which Burzum was a significant part), Varg presents the world with his least imaginative work to date - even taking Dauði Baldrs into consideration.

I've heard more variation on a "sleep music" CD.

Picture an aging man dressed in some cheesy medieval battle costume chanting a Norse poem in his native tongue around a campfire to the same uninspired snail-paced riff that leads absolutely nowhere, beginning with the same folk-inspired "melody" as it ends with. Did I mention that all of these elements are buried deep in this weakening fuzzy production? Now picture this old man chanting to his one-dimensional folk-driven atmospheric music. Now do yourself a favor and don't bother ever making that mental image a reality.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 3
Songwriting: 2
Originality: 4
Production: 4

Written on 11.05.2012 by I'm total pro; that's what I'm here for.

Guest review by
ManiacBlasphemer
Rating:
Another year passes, another Burzum album is released. Since Varg Vikernes, the most controversial Norwegian figure, has been released on probation from jail, he managed to put a new album every year and 2012, the year when the Mayan "apocalypse" is supposed to take place, is no exception.

I do not know what Varg has been doing in jail. For 11 years he hasn't released a new record and in 2010 we get Belus and one year later Fallen. What can we say about Umskiptar? A new direction? Maybe, but not quite. Is it good or not? Depends on the individual. Since this is my own review I have to admit that when I listened to it first, I wasn't impressed but after a couple of auditions, I get that even Varg tries to take a step towards innovation.

Read more ››
published 27.10.2012 | Comments (2)

Comments page 4 / 6

Comments: 160   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 883 users
12.05.2012 - 14:20
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Slayer666 on 12.05.2012 at 13:33

>_<

I won't believe the album is that bad until after I've heard it myself.

Welp, I personally don't believe it's that bad, neither does Joe considering his first comment. But I would definitely put it in the 4-5 range. So yeah, it's bad.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
12.05.2012 - 14:25
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
It'll get a 5 from me when it's released. It's totally average, neither bad enough or good enough to deviate from a 5.
12.05.2012 - 14:26
Slayer666

Written by X-Ray Rod on 12.05.2012 at 14:20

Welp, I personally don't believe it's that bad, neither does Joe considering his first comment. But I would definitely put it in the 4-5 range. So yeah, it's bad.

About halfway through it right now, and sweet Jesus it's boring... Not downright offensively bad like Striborg or Gallhammer, but more monotonous than going through 2 hours of Teletubbies.
12.05.2012 - 15:47
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Merchant of Doom on 12.05.2012 at 10:58
I didn't... I thought it was rather light-weight and childish, with your food/shit metaphor occupying most of it. These "jokey" reviews don't usually stand the test of time, IMO. You will regret them.

I don't regret any of my reviews. Some of them breed "controversy" because I'm offensive and I make a lot of jokes. I'm an amateur writer who says what he wants about the music he listens to. The fact you didn't like it is out of my hands - the majority of my audience tends to appreciate my reviews for their content - even if the content is primarily comprised of jokes and insults.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
12.05.2012 - 15:54
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by X-Ray Rod on 12.05.2012 at 14:20

The general consensus seems to be that this album is bad/boring/repetitive. I just took it a little more extreme, hence the lower rating.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
12.05.2012 - 16:07
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Troy Killjoy on 12.05.2012 at 15:47
even if the content is primarily comprised of jokes and insults.

"But Troy! A review shouldn't be just jokes and insults! That's not a review!"

"Pffff, like if this album deserved any better".
----
Rod, let me love you.
12.05.2012 - 16:12
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by X-Ray Rod on 12.05.2012 at 16:07
"Pffff, like if this album deserved any better".

I think I've used that line once or twice before, honestly.

It's very difficult to dissect music "properly" when there isn't really anything to dissect. I'm not gonna bore my readers to death by continuously pointing out the most subtle elements imaginable - I'm gonna make jokes and references to things that express just how bored I am listening to this shit.
----
12.05.2012 - 16:19
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Troy Killjoy on 12.05.2012 at 16:12

It's very difficult to dissect music "properly" when there isn't really anything to dissect. I'm not gonna bore my readers to death by continuously pointing out the most subtle elements imaginable - I'm gonna make jokes and references to things that express just how bored I am listening to this shit.

Like I said before: It's just like Daniel's review for Lulu. Did he make any special music dissection? No. Don't you think it was necessary? Fuck no.
Why? Because the album doesn't deserve one since it's one huge pile of monotonous shit that only needs 30-40 words if not less to be explained yet we must follow the rules of reviewing.
----
Rod, let me love you.
12.05.2012 - 16:20
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I love how this review has essentially turned into a review of Troy's reviews
12.05.2012 - 16:29
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Guest on 12.05.2012 at 16:20

This one more than the rest, although there are usually at least a few users who like to review my reviews.
----
12.05.2012 - 16:30
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 12.05.2012 at 16:29

This one more than the rest, although there are usually at least a few users who like to review my reviews.

Yeah, seems to be a lot of whinge-bags recently :/
12.05.2012 - 16:34
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Troy Killjoy on 12.05.2012 at 16:29

This album isn't interesting enough to talk about it.
----
Rod, let me love you.
12.05.2012 - 16:40
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 12.05.2012 at 16:34

This album isn't interesting enough to talk about it.

Basically yes.

I was gonna start talking about the weather until I saw people bitching.
12.05.2012 - 19:07
InnerSelf
proofread free
Yo dawg, we heard you liked reviews so we put a review in your review.
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
12.05.2012 - 21:05
Varegan
Hamranakara
I just hope its the last review about this shit! shit doesnt deserve to be over-shited again and again
----
Written by muthafucka on 08.07.2010 at 06:46

"METAL STORM" (LIGHTING STRIKES)
12.05.2012 - 23:40
wolfss1

This review is rubbish, I've got this album and I've heard it at least 3 times in a row and in my opinion is one of the best albums of Burzum, it's better than belus and fallen, it's got great atmosphere and riffs
12.05.2012 - 23:49
@gent_-_orange

This review isn't rubbish purely because you disagree with it. IMO this review is dead on and this album is crap even by Burzum's mediocre (though influential) standards.
13.05.2012 - 00:08
ThunderAxe1989
Account deleted
The voice sounds a bit strange to me.....

Ummm I don't think it's quite as bad as the review would lead one to believe (I sort of say that with hesitation)......It's certainly not that great, like I don't know if it's anything to run home about.....

But we've definately lost the old Vikernes, that's for damn sure
13.05.2012 - 01:10
Merchant of Doom

Written by Troy Killjoy on 12.05.2012 at 15:47

Written by Merchant of Doom on 12.05.2012 at 10:58
I didn't... I thought it was rather light-weight and childish, with your food/shit metaphor occupying most of it. These "jokey" reviews don't usually stand the test of time, IMO. You will regret them.

I don't regret any of my reviews. Some of them breed "controversy" because I'm offensive and I make a lot of jokes. I'm an amateur writer who says what he wants about the music he listens to. The fact you didn't like it is out of my hands - the majority of my audience tends to appreciate my reviews for their content - even if the content is primarily comprised of jokes and insults.

fine by me, Troy... if you think your occasional jokey style is good, please go ahead. It's just one opinion... many people seem to enjoy them here.

BTW, I listened to it a few times more, and it's not that bad. It has its good moments. Overall, an ok effort. Good background music...
13.05.2012 - 01:40
Rating: 5
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by wolfss1 on 12.05.2012 at 23:40

This review is rubbish, I've got this album and I've heard it at least 3 times in a row and in my opinion is one of the best albums of Burzum, it's better than belus and fallen, it's got great atmosphere and riffs

And that, my fickle friend, is called an opinion, an we all have one, this quite a good/entertaining review, just because you don't agree with it doesn't mean it's a bad review.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
13.05.2012 - 04:50
EdguyAsFuck

Written by Troy Killjoy on 11.05.2012 at 20:40

Written by EdguyAsFuck on 11.05.2012 at 20:36
...ideally a review should be a little more in depth than taking half the review to call the album shit without much of a reason

I'll admit straight up I'm in no way a talented enough writer to bullshit my way through a proper review of this music without making random references and off-handed jokes.

Gimme something more than a single riff and a slew of weak clean vocal attempts and I'll give you 300+ words directly related to the music. Otherwise... toilet humor.

Hah, fair enough my man.
13.05.2012 - 20:09
Hendrikse
Account deleted
Is it me or did Varg change the original album cover for this album? This one is kinda shitty :/
13.05.2012 - 20:42
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
----
Rod, let me love you.
13.05.2012 - 20:51
Hendrikse
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 13.05.2012 at 20:25

Yep. It happened a few days after this:

Ahah, well shame really, that was a really nice album cover imo. If I remember correctly it was a touch like Autumn Aurora.
13.05.2012 - 23:28
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
The album wasn't been released yet... Here says 21 May, 2012.

And we already have a review??
14.05.2012 - 00:07
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Guest on 13.05.2012 at 23:28

The album wasn't been released yet... Here says 21 May, 2012.

And we already have a review??

We get advanced copies because we are official reviewers and awesome.
----
Rod, let me love you.
14.05.2012 - 02:00
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Guest on 13.05.2012 at 23:28
The album wasn't been released yet... Here says 21 May, 2012. And we already have a review??

What Doc said, and this album leaked aeons ago.
----
14.05.2012 - 09:41
Bones222

That would have to be one the funniest reviews I have ever read... I'm in stiches at work at the moment, never rated Burzum, could someone flag one of VV's better albums or is it even worth the effort to listen to Burzum?
14.05.2012 - 17:13
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Bones222 on 14.05.2012 at 09:41
ould someone flag one of VV's better albums or is it even worth the effort to listen to Burzum?

The first 4 albums are classics of Black Metal. The best one being the third album (Hvis Lyset Tar Oss) if you ask me
----
Rod, let me love you.
14.05.2012 - 17:18
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 14.05.2012 at 17:13

The first 4 albums are classics of Black Metal. The best one being the third album (Hvis Lyset Tar Oss) if you ask me

Meh, without the 'Det Som En Gang Var' track Hvis wouldn't really be worth hearing if you ask me. Admittedly it's probably Burzum's best song but the album of the same name is overall much better.

Hits total: 20634 | This month: 56