Style: Black metal
Release date: May 2012

01. The Serpent's Tongue
02. After...
03. Nightwinds
04. Gentle Notice Of A Final Breath
05. ...Before
06. A Way Of Silence

What the hell is that thing, anyways? Some kind of crustacean and a sword or something? Is that what silence is supposed to look like? Have I been drawing it incorrectly in pictionary all these years? In a sense, that album artwork does reflect Nachtvorst's music pretty well. It's simple, dark, menacing and certain understated sense of ambiguity.

Ambiguity you say, eh? Well shit, Nachtvorst almost sounds like a different band with each song...Or segment, as some of these "songs" tend to feel like 3 songs tied together over a 9 minute period. One minute, you're dealing with a brooding, minimalistic shoegaze album, the next, it's a groovin' sludge-doom sound, followed by some atmospheric post-rock. All these various sounds are tied together with crusty black metal guitar tones and some distant growls & wailing shrieks.

Unfortunately, eclectic does not arbitrarily equate to genius, and Silence is a grand example of this. Yes, they did manage to tie in a decent spectrum of sounds here, but frequently these various parts are executed very generically, or are just excruciatingly boring. Silence is the sound of a band spreading themselves too thin. They display fantastic examples of each style of music they play, so there really isn't any aspect that really deserves to be cut out entirely, but there is a certain amount of filler or overindulgence into particular extended atmospheric passages.

Silence is a watermelon type of album; consume the juicy dripping body of it, spit out the slimy seeds of pretentiousness, toss the rind of filler and you've got yourself a highly enjoyable experience.

Written on 11.05.2012 by Former EIC. Now just a reviewer guy.

Comments

Comments: 6   Visited by: 153 users
12.05.2012 - 01:42
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Sounds like it's not my kind of thing to be honest... too much going on at once.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
13.05.2012 - 02:28
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Night frost
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

13.05.2012 - 02:38
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Troy Killjoy on 12.05.2012 at 01:42

Sounds like it's not my kind of thing to be honest... too much going on at once.

And this is where the Only fan of brain drill comes in, as this sounds like something id love.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
15.05.2012 - 20:35
Edmund Fogg
Hmmmm....Watermelon
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
15.05.2012 - 20:47
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Thought the band was called Nightsausage at first then I remembered* (See: *Google) "vorst" means frost.

Anyway, Youtubing a track right now and I like it a lot. Vocals, both highs and lows, are vicious, it's satisfyingly heavy and doomy with a great sound, and the meandering, clean passage is nice and then the epic, melodic bit near the end is pretty epically... epic. A nice ghostly piano ending too. In fact the whole song is superb, I think it all ties together extremely naturally. Will definitely check the album out if it keeps up this routine.

Checking out the other two tracks on their bandcamp page. Seriously impressive stuff so far...
16.05.2012 - 00:08
snake? snaaaake!
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 15.05.2012 at 20:47

Thought the band was called Nightsausage at first then I remembered* (See: *Google) "vorst" means frost.

I'm totally reserving nachtvurst for my hypothetical band.

Hits total: 5457 | This month: 13