Metal Storm logo
Recommendations for drum covers

12.05.2012 - 10:43
mayoarm
Hi. I've been playing the drums for 1.5 years now, and am looking to get into covering some songs, for the sake of my improvement and song understanding, rather than "show-casing" my abilities on my youtube channel or whatever (I have no intention of recording / filming / performing this).

I was wondering if 1) is this even a good idea? Is covering songs beneficial to my playing or should I simply continue learning from books and online videos... 2) Can someone recommend some good songs that I can cover? I have a standard kit (double bass though), so I can't cover songs that require more than that. I don't want some dumb faggy coldplay song or something, but nothing too complex as well obviously.

Thanks in advance.
12.05.2012 - 15:56
moe5512
No drummer so I cant' really help you but I want to comment on this: "I have a standard kit (double bass though), so I can't cover songs that require more than that." If you don't have all the tom-toms and cymbals doesn't mean that you can play a song. Improvise, do your own thing, that way you also find your own playing style. there are many metal-drummers that only have a standard set but can still make it sound awesome.
12.05.2012 - 17:25
mayoarm
You're right, but some more complex songs would simple sound a lot worse if not played on a proper kit.
14.05.2012 - 03:30
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
You should definitely cover this

14.05.2012 - 08:47
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
14.05.2012 - 18:14
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Black Sabbath.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
14.05.2012 - 19:49
As BoxCar Willy said, you can cover some Sabbath songs. When you're done try some extreme metal. It will definitely improve your playing and technique.
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter
24.05.2012 - 07:28
Necrox
Insomnium songs arent too crazy and you can play them with a standard set.
07.09.2012 - 04:41
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
My sister "needed" a drum kit as her graduation present (spoiled bitch) and hasn't touched it for more than a few hours. So I've been playing lots recently, it's a standard, single kick set, and I was wondering if anyone knows any simple songs for me to play and improve with?
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
07.09.2012 - 08:38
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Written by Boxcar Willy on 07.09.2012 at 04:41

My sister "needed" a drum kit as her graduation present (spoiled bitch) and hasn't touched it for more than a few hours. So I've been playing lots recently, it's a standard, single kick set, and I was wondering if anyone knows any simple songs for me to play and improve with?

I'm a beginner myself and I've been trying some Ghost songs as they are easy by comparison to most of the other stuff on this site.
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
07.09.2012 - 10:11
Timmeh
Dudeman
I second Sabbath, I also think in general if you have a half-decent musical brain a great way to improve is just improvise and "jam crap". Yes it may sound like shit initially but I think its a great way to get to know your instrument and practice technique etc. That's how I learned guitar and how I've gone about learning drums for the past 7 months.
08.10.2012 - 09:07
Grody2themax
Dissection - Retribution Storm of Lights Bane has some awesome drums in it.
19.10.2012 - 20:26
CRODv
For beginners (like me) I would recommend ACDC and Metallica, they are easy and so fun to play.
----
---------
CRODv
22.07.2013 - 05:51
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Written by CRODv on 19.10.2012 at 20:26

For beginners (like me) I would recommend ACDC and Metallica, they are easy and so fun to play.

I definitely agree with this. I'm a beginner and have had a great time learning to play "For Whom the Bell Tolls", "Enter Sandman" and "Back in Black". Those songs are mostly good solid rock beats, with some fairly easy fills. I've certainly improved as a drummer by learning these songs, and they are really fun to play because they are such good songs and so well known. Also, there are lots of internet resources for them, including instructional videos on YouTube and the like.
----
The sun shines over The Fool...