Metal Storm logo
The Anti-Christian Extreme Metal band you respect the most, and why?

12.05.2012 - 21:21
Darth Satanious
Post Destroyer
As the thread title states, which Anti-Christian band you respect the most and why? Reasons may range from the way they convey the message or even by reasons that do not have anything to do with Anti-Christianity at all and just simply because you respect them as musicians, people, or whatever reason may be.

If you agree with their stance, mention the band you respect the most. If you do not agree with Anti-Christianity but still there is a band you respect that has the message, mention them and the reason why you respect them.

Be understood as Anti-Christian those bands whose lyrics portray a message against Christianity (Satanic bands count) or a band whose members have voiced their rejection against Christianity in one way or another.
----
Christless
13.05.2012 - 00:36
Oaken
Hipster
I'm not with Anti-Christianity at all, but I've got to say that Deathspell Omega (satanic) have some of the most thoughtful and insightful lyrics I've ever read. It's like reading some complicated philosophy mixed with theology and the occult. Their not-very-blasphemic approach makes it kind-of-possible for believers to at least check em out, while on the other hand, bands like Deicide have completely pointless lyrics. Not because they've got too much blasphemy, but because they're not imaginative, easy-to-imitate and very repetitive. And also for me, I quite find them offensive and difficult to tolerate as a believer.
Nice thread.
----
In that case, man is only air as well.
13.05.2012 - 00:44
BreadGod
Account deleted
Forgive me for derailing the thread like this, but Darth Satanious? I thought you were gone forever!
13.05.2012 - 01:09
Zombie94

I'd say Behemoth. They call the church out on all of the corruption, lies and hypocrisy it's been guilty of. This is even more commendable because in Poland it is actually a legal offence (I'm pretty sure) to proclaim yourself an atheist and go around Christ-bashing, so what they do takes some balls. Plus they have some damn groovy riffs.
13.05.2012 - 01:20
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Unquestionably The Meads Of Asphodel have some of the most thought provoking and thought out lyrics on the subject.

That whole area is not really my bag but for those interested in the anti-Christian nature of the band, the band's frontman, Metatron, wrote a 100,000 word codex on the meaning behind each of the songs on The Murder of Jesus the Jew album:

Metatron's Codex
13.05.2012 - 01:33
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Obviously Deicide.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
13.05.2012 - 02:15
Void Eater
Account deleted
If we're speaking strictly Anti Christian, then Behemoth simply because anybody who manages to piss off an entire country for doing nothing wrong is worthy of my respect. I envy Nergal's trolling abilities. The bands that really deserve our respect though, are Middle Eastern anti Islam bands. In the Western world, mocking Christianity and burning Bible's will at worst result in a couple of idiots telling you that you're going to burn in hell for eternity. In the Middle East, mocking Islam will get you executed.
13.05.2012 - 03:32
Vombatus
Potorro
If you look lyrics/attitude, I'd go with The Meads of Asphodel or so called "intellectual bm" such as DSO or Fides Inversa.

They write intelligently and make you think, with no need of being attention-whores. I find the brainless-christian-bashing idiotic, specially when taken seriously.
13.05.2012 - 03:38
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by Oaken on 13.05.2012 at 00:36

I'm not with Anti-Christianity at all, but I've got to say that Deathspell Omega (satanic) have some of the most thoughtful and insightful lyrics I've ever read. It's like reading some complicated philosophy mixed with theology and the occult. Their not-very-blasphemic approach makes it kind-of-possible for believers to at least check em out, while on the other hand, bands like Deicide have completely pointless lyrics. Not because they've got too much blasphemy, but because they're not imaginative, easy-to-imitate and very repetitive. And also for me, I quite find them offensive and difficult to tolerate as a believer.
Nice thread.

I generally agree that Deicide's lyrics usually seem like a four year old wrote them, but I always found the song "Blame it on God" from Serpents of the Light to be somewhat thought provoking. It still has the simple A-A-B-B structure, but it raises some interesting points - some I'm sure a few believers have asked themselves (mostly theodicy).
----
The force will be with you, always.
13.05.2012 - 03:44
Hendrikse
Account deleted
Mayhem
Satanic Warmaster
Summoning (Mainly for the LOTR lyrics which are just plainly awesome)

Even though not 'Satanic' my favourite album for lyrics is probably Death's Spiritual Healing.
13.05.2012 - 04:53
Lit.
Account deleted
I respect pretty much any band that has the guts to speak out against Christianity (or religion in general)
13.05.2012 - 05:05
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
I don't respect any bands for their lyrical content to be honest... I mean, I guess I'd respect Mercyful Fate and whatnot for kind of starting the whole thing, but it's all been done before at this point.

The only bands worthwhile in terms of lyrics (anti-Christian themed anyway) are the ones - as pointed out by others - that don't write through the eyes of a fifth-grader.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
13.05.2012 - 06:26
BlueMobius
Account deleted
Meh, another thread voicing intolerance.
13.05.2012 - 06:33
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Guest on 13.05.2012 at 06:26
Meh, another thread voicing intolerance.

Should people just "tolerate" Christianity because it exists, then? Being that North Carolina just passed a law to ban gay marriage, I'd say opposing a religion that voices such intolerance is appropriate.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
13.05.2012 - 06:34
Jiri

Root.
13.05.2012 - 08:00
BlueMobius
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 13.05.2012 at 06:33

Should people just "tolerate" Christianity because it exists, then? Being that North Carolina just passed a law to ban gay marriage, I'd say opposing a religion that voices such intolerance is appropriate.

And thus we are caught in a vicious circle.
13.05.2012 - 13:16
Zombie94

Written by Guest on 13.05.2012 at 04:53

I respect pretty much any band that has the guts to speak out against Christianity (or religion in general)

Unless you're in a country where doing so is illegal, it doesn't take much guts at all to speak out against Christianity anymore. If anything it's become the popular thing to do.
13.05.2012 - 14:20
Stoned Crow
Account deleted
I'll keep this simple- none of it.
13.05.2012 - 14:37
Darth Satanious
Post Destroyer
Written by Guest on 13.05.2012 at 00:44

Forgive me for derailing the thread like this, but Darth Satanious? I thought you were gone forever!

Hell no dude. XD I just took some break to focus in some things in my life but as long as I have hearing capacity I'll listen Metal and thus drop by in here once in a while. I am glad that someone recognized me back, Insineratehymn, right? :p
----
Christless
13.05.2012 - 16:03
Oaken
Hipster
Written by Clintagräm on 13.05.2012 at 03:38

it raises some interesting points - some I'm sure a few believers have asked themselves (mostly theodicy).

Just read the lyrics, and they seem more insightful than other Deicide lyrics. But they didn't make me question anything (When it comes to such matters, my head is as thick as a rock.)
----
In that case, man is only air as well.
13.05.2012 - 18:57
Bulletdodger

Written by Guest on 13.05.2012 at 02:15

If we're speaking strictly Anti Christian, then Behemoth simply because anybody who manages to piss off an entire country for doing nothing wrong is worthy of my respect. I envy Nergal's trolling abilities. The bands that really deserve our respect though, are Middle Eastern anti Islam bands. In the Western world, mocking Christianity and burning Bible's will at worst result in a couple of idiots telling you that you're going to burn in hell for eternity. In the Middle East, mocking Islam will get you executed.

Best comment it the thread so far.
----
Aus dem Paradies, das Cantor uns geschaffen, soll uns niemand vertreiben können.
David Hilbert
13.05.2012 - 19:10
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
I have never got caught up in this...
----
rekt
13.05.2012 - 19:49
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Guest on 13.05.2012 at 08:00

I don't have problem with religious people. I have problem with religious people that condemn others for expressing their love. I think that's what most of us would agree on. A stand against such people in order to get rights based on friggin common sense in something worth fighting for. I don't see the vicious circle you are talking about.... It's like saying those who fight against an oppressive goverment are just as bad simply because they are opposing... Despite the fact that they are fighting for their rights.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
13.05.2012 - 20:05
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by X-Ray Rod on 13.05.2012 at 19:49

Written by Guest on 13.05.2012 at 08:00

I don't have problem with religious people. I have problem with religious people that condemn others for expressing their love. I think that's what most of us would agree on. A stand against such people in order to get rights based on friggin common sense in something worth fighting for. I don't see the vicious circle you are talking about.... It's like saying those who fight against an oppressive goverment are just as bad simply because they are opposing... Despite the fact that they are fighting for their rights.

any ism has asshats who want to condemn others for their belief in a different ism.

christianity is simply the safe target. not like even those god hates fags dudes (the most extreme subset of believers in this ism i am aware of, and who are universally condemned by others in this ism) are going to behead you on youtube for speaking out.

safe target for sheep in wolf's clothing.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
13.05.2012 - 20:44
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by BitterCOld on 13.05.2012 at 20:05
any ism has asshats who want to condemn others for their belief in a different ism.

Well, yeah... That's indeed true. I guess my problem is that I don't understand how such a basic right is just considered a belief.
Also... about the vicious circle: Do people think there's another way to get such rights than opposing the groups of people that don't tolerate such rights? Because I don't.
----
Rod, let me love you.
13.05.2012 - 20:46
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I'm guessing condemnation in Christianity has more deaths associated with it than any other -ism though.
13.05.2012 - 20:54
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Guest on 13.05.2012 at 20:46

I'm guessing condemnation in Christianity has more deaths associated with it than any other -ism though.

Yeah, I don't now about you but I also haven't read a lot about gay people walking around at night killing homophobes.
----
Rod, let me love you.
13.05.2012 - 20:57
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 13.05.2012 at 20:54

Yeah, I don't now about you but I also haven't read a lot about gay people walking around at night killing homophobes.

You should come to Brighton, they're building an army. It's like a really colourful and flamboyant version of the bit in Lord of the Rings where all the Orcs and Uruk-hai were born
13.05.2012 - 21:02
Angelic Storm
Melodious
@Mr. Doctor: 100% agreed.

Dio has a few songs that very intelligently opposes Christianity, and specfically, the organised religion aspect of it.

As has been said, Behemoth have to be respected, because they are from a country where being "blasphemous" can be punishable by law.

I respect intelligent critiques of Christianity and religion in general. But I can still enjoy bands with cliche' and silly satanic lyrics so long as I enjoy the music.
13.05.2012 - 21:03
SelfXPlanetOrE

Would Electric Wizard count? They're really great.