Metal Storm logo
Turisas

Original post

Posted by The Alchemist, 07.11.2006 - 22:27
I found 4 topics about this great band, but none to discuss about them

Recently I got their album "Battle Metal" and wow!! what a great music!! I really liked it, the concept is really interesting, perfect atmosphere, great instrumentation.
Why do you think about them?
13.06.2007 - 21:35
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Back again, I just got The Varangian Way....lets just say it makes Battle Metal look like little girl! Its amazing! Easily album of the year.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
16.06.2007 - 09:47
MissRagnarok

Yeah, the new abum is pretty awesome =)
Still, I wouldn't say it's better than Battle Metal, but that's probably because I haven't listened to it enough..

Seeing them next week at Graspop! =) (Silly thing: they're clashing with Mercenary =/ but I'll go for Turisas ^^)
----
For I am so omniscient that if there were to be two omnisciences's; I would be both!
- Ziltoid
18.06.2007 - 08:00
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
@MissRagnarok:
Not better than Battle Metal? The synth actually sounds more realistic...and bigger and altogether more dynamic this time around, I never realised how somewhat cheap Battle Metal sounds until you compare it to the new album (dont get me wrong, I still friggin love Battle Metal)
----
- George Carlin
18.06.2007 - 20:02
Infurnace

Turisas, another great Folk/Battle Metal band. I just love them. "The Varangian Way" is just amazing. It was about time these guys released another album, I was getting a little tired waiting
19.06.2007 - 16:51
SirHooke

Written by MissRagnarok on 16.06.2007 at 09:47

Seeing them next week at Graspop! =) (Silly thing: they're clashing with Mercenary =/ but I'll go for Turisas ^^)

You lucky girl! About when you see them, I'll be having a date with 5 pounds worth of maths
Anyway, I hope you enjoy yourself

I'll check the new album soon, hope its any good. The site looks awesome though.
19.06.2007 - 17:23
Stalker
Lone wanderer
Heay, can someone tell me did they use real instruments on new album, like accordion and stuff, I think they did on the first??? Or is it just the keyboards?
----
19.06.2007 - 21:00
KryptoN
imperceptible
Written by Stalker on 19.06.2007 at 17:23

Heay, can someone tell me did they use real instruments on new album, like accordion and stuff, I think they did on the first??? Or is it just the keyboards?

A quick visit to their homepage would have revealed the following information:

Warlord Nygård - Vocals, orchestral programming and keyboards
Jussi Wickström - Guitar, acoustic guitar
Tude Lehtonen - Drums and percussion
Olli Vänskä - Acoustic and electric violin
Hannes Horma - Bass, backing vocals
Lisko - Accordion
19.06.2007 - 21:35
Vinnie R.
Chido Chido
Well, when i first found this band the title got me : Battel Metal. Everything in this title (and the title song) describes the music.
19.06.2007 - 22:05
Stalker
Lone wanderer
Written by KryptoN on 19.06.2007 at 21:00

Lisko - Accordion

Well, I'm a bit lazzy, as you can assume... Thanks anyway!
----
20.06.2007 - 00:07
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Stalker on 19.06.2007 at 22:05

Written by KryptoN on 19.06.2007 at 21:00

Lisko - Accordion

Well, I'm a bit lazzy, as you can assume... Thanks anyway!

And the new synth stuff isnt exactly on keyboards either, it was done through complex computer programming so it sounds alot bigger and realistic this time around.
----
- George Carlin
20.06.2007 - 00:16
APOHAKC
The Bard
New album is pretty good, I like all those great fokish melodies. I will listen it carefully so I will write more. I heard it only couple of times
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
20.06.2007 - 02:08
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
I have Battle Metal but I haven't listened to it yet! From what I've read it's supposed to be really good! Can anyone list any tracks that are definite stand outs?
20.06.2007 - 09:39
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Guest on 20.06.2007 at 02:08

I have Battle Metal but I haven't listened to it yet! From what I've read it's supposed to be really good! Can anyone list any tracks that are definite stand outs?

The title track for sure, catchy as all f*ck! uhmm, 'One More' has a really nice build up, starts off mellow then builds into a really epic track, 'The Messenger' and 'Sahti-Warri' are both pretty speedy tracks, 'Rex Regi Rebbelis' has a really cool marching sort of feel to it, and 'Among Ancestors has some really sweet choir that is totally freakin epic

....sorry it was hard for me to narrow down any tracks, those I find are the best on that album which actually has great variety which made the narrowing down process dificult.
----
- George Carlin
20.06.2007 - 11:43
Stalker
Lone wanderer
For me the best of Battle Metal is Midnight Sunrise. That song has it all. Slow, fast, male vocals, female vocals, rocking guitars, cool folk tunes.... And Sahti Waari is awesome too, I can listen to it again and again and agian....
----
20.06.2007 - 15:07
Hyvaarin

Kind of a weird choice, but my favourite track on the s/t is "Prologue". So STIRRING.
----
"Summoned By Words Never Spoken Before..."
20.06.2007 - 16:57
Hyvaarin

OK, so I've now listened to all of the new album. I don't know that it's a step up from the first album, but it's certainly very good. One thing it (and this band in general) needs is A GUITAR SOLO OR TWO. Seriously, fucking hell. So many moments I get all hyped up to hear a screaming solo, only for it to just go to another riff.

I like the solo thing in "The Dnieper Rapids", though - one of the more impressive songs of the album.
----
20.06.2007 - 22:12
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Hyvaarin on 20.06.2007 at 16:57

OK, so I've now listened to all of the new album. I don't know that it's a step up from the first album, but it's certainly very good. One thing it (and this band in general) needs is A GUITAR SOLO OR TWO. Seriously, fucking hell. So many moments I get all hyped up to hear a screaming solo, only for it to just go to another riff.

I like the solo thing in "The Dnieper Rapids", though - one of the more impressive songs of the album.

Like Olli says: fuck the guitar solos, even says in the liner notes "all solos on this recording are played on electric violin". But I do know what you mean, it would be nice to hear a guitar solo every now and then, I think they should make Jari Maenpaa join there band.
----
- George Carlin
20.06.2007 - 22:46
MissRagnarok

Written by SirHooke on 19.06.2007 at 16:51

You lucky girl! About when you see them, I'll be having a date with 5 pounds worth of maths

Aw damn.. exams = shit Hmm.. =/ Good luck!
----
For I am so omniscient that if there were to be two omnisciences's; I would be both!
- Ziltoid
21.06.2007 - 00:01
APOHAKC
The Bard
To Holmgard and Beyond and Portal to the Unknown are great new songs, I mean whole new album is great as I wrote, but after few more listenings I like it even more. Guitars are great and keys are just perfect. I prefer clean vocals than scream on new album but it is just very good release. Oh yeah, choirs on the beginning of Fields Of Gold sound little familiar but I can't recall from when, I am sure I heard it before
----
21.06.2007 - 00:05
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
Written by Doc G. on 20.06.2007 at 09:39

Written by Guest on 20.06.2007 at 02:08

The title track for sure, catchy as all f*ck! uhmm, 'One More' has a really nice build up, starts off mellow then builds into a really epic track, 'The Messenger' and 'Sahti-Warri' are both pretty speedy tracks, 'Rex Regi Rebbelis' has a really cool marching sort of feel to it, and 'Among Ancestors has some really sweet choir that is totally freakin epic

....sorry it was hard for me to narrow down any tracks, those I find are the best on that album which actually has great variety which made the narrowing down process dificult.

Thank you very much for listing those tracks! It is much appreciated. From your descriptions, it sounds like some awesome shit!!
21.06.2007 - 03:15
Hyvaarin

Written by Doc G. on 20.06.2007 at 22:12

Written by Hyvaarin on 20.06.2007 at 16:57

Like Olli says: fuck the guitar solos, even says in the liner notes "all solos on this recording are played on electric violin". But I do know what you mean, it would be nice to hear a guitar solo every now and then, I think they should make Jari Maenpaa join there band.

Haha! That solo was sweet! Jari'd be a cool addition, too.
----
03.07.2007 - 15:06
Infurnace

Turisas is coming to Wacken! I'm really happy now, because I always have wanted to see them live once . They are a really good Folk Metal band, and I like the accordion/violin sound to the music.
03.07.2007 - 15:25
Philaenas
Account deleted
I saw these guys last week at Graspop. They were dressed pretty cool in battle-like outfits with bloodred paint sprayed on and stuff. They did appear to be kind of old to me. Does anybody know the age of the band members?
03.07.2007 - 15:51
APOHAKC
The Bard
Written by Guest on 03.07.2007 at 15:25

I saw these guys last week at Graspop. They were dressed pretty cool in battle-like outfits with bloodred paint sprayed on and stuff. They did appear to be kind of old to me. Does anybody know the age of the band members?

They look old, that is for sure, especially Jussi and Tud. But they are not old at all Tude is 23, Olli is 26, Lisko is 25 I saw on several web pages, Nygard is 24, Hanu is 22 and Jussi is 24. So they are not old at all,, but lot of makeup, long beards... and they look like they are much older than they are
----
24.08.2007 - 06:47
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
I got to know this band through a tribute video to 300, made by a friend of ours here in MS (check the 300 topic in the recreation section for more info) and I loved it. Since I'm a poor guy, I downloaded the albums and I gotta say this band makes me want to get a sword and fight the monstrous hordes of evil!!! YAAAAAHHHHHH!!! It's one of teh most epic bands I've ver heard. It ha sbecome one of my fav bands ina matter of three days. They're really skilled and their music is really epic, and theit pics are really great.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
24.08.2007 - 16:45
Aylee_Bodom
¬¬
The Varangian Way is just amazing....hey, I think I'm going to listen to it again right now
----
*All Blood Runs The Same*
26.08.2007 - 03:43
APOHAKC
The Bard
Written by Aylee_Bodom on 24.08.2007 at 16:45

The Varangian Way is just amazing....hey, I think I'm going to listen to it again right now

Yup, I agree with you as I wrote before, I was amazed with album, sound is just... fantastic, and you know what? I am going to listen to it right now too
----
29.08.2007 - 07:34
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
I have never been a huge fan of Turisas, when Battle Metal first came out i thought it was pretty good, and still do to date, but there is far better bands in this style of Power Metal. The Varangian Way is good too, but i get bored of it too quick, i think they are a tad overrated, have you read Metal Mags? They are all over them! I couldnt believe it when i saw them in like 3 mags.
30.08.2007 - 04:34
Judas
The Amputator
I bought 'The Varangian Way' yesterday, and it certainly is very good. I'd say it's better than 'Battle Metal' simply because it's got proper variation and the songwriting is developed. 'Battle Metal' got old pretty fast for me, but this one has a longer use-by date on it, I think.
----
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn both go back into the same box."
31.08.2007 - 23:14
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
@Judas
Agreed, Battle Metal hasnt grown old for me yet but they really stepped things up with the new album, and I really like how a band whos first album was pretty much entirely about battle doesnt have a single straightforward battle song on the new album.
----
- George Carlin