Metal Storm logo
Turisas

Original post

Posted by The Alchemist, 07.11.2006 - 22:27
I found 4 topics about this great band, but none to discuss about them

Recently I got their album "Battle Metal" and wow!! what a great music!! I really liked it, the concept is really interesting, perfect atmosphere, great instrumentation.
Why do you think about them?
16.04.2008 - 07:11
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
@James Woods
Thats what Im curious. Because the vast sound improvements made between their 2 albums were astronomical. As far as sound goes, I can't think of much they can do from here short of hiring a full blown orchestra. The song structure can get better though. For example 'Dnieper Rapids' seemed like a bit of a rushed song to me. It makes me sad that Im gonna have to wait another few years before I get to hear the sequel to The Varangian Way.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
18.04.2008 - 11:40
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Yeah, and their songwriting also picked up. Battle Metal has a pretty simplistic writing style (for the most part). The Varangian Way is just a lot deeper. Like I said, the only songs I didn't really like off of The Varangian Way were Dnieper Rapids and the intro to Five Hundred And One.
----
- George Carlin
18.04.2008 - 13:57
Warman
Erotic Stains
Haha, I swear, "In the Court of Jarisleif" is the most brutal mosh pit I've ever experienced! Okay, maybe after One Man Army and the Undead Quartet where half of the audience fell over, I almost broke my leg.
----
09.05.2008 - 02:16
heresiarch
Forever Dead
Written by Warman on 18.04.2008 at 13:57

Haha, I swear, "In the Court of Jarisleif" is the most brutal mosh pit I've ever experienced! Okay, maybe after One Man Army and the Undead Quartet where half of the audience fell over, I almost broke my leg.
You are absolutely right !! Jarisfeif is one bad muthafucka of a moshpit song friend of mine broke his thighbone in moshpit ---> ouch , hurts like hell just thinking about it
----
Heaven queen , carry me away from all pain

No reason to live for
One reason to die for

... To live for my death ...
09.05.2008 - 08:59
Hrothdane
i saw that their first album was called battle metal, and I thought to myself, "I MUST listen to this."

They have to be one of my favorite bands and I can't wait to get a chance to see them live!
----
Despair is death, and I'm not interested in dying.

Member of the True Crusade against True Crusades
12.06.2008 - 09:46
senzafine
so, I found out about this band by the greatest "accident" of my life. I was on youtube checking out songs, and I clicked on their "Rasputin" video thinking they were Spanish for some reason (and I'm always looking for Spanish metal/hardcore). I think I misread Turisas for Turistas. Haha. I sat through Rasputin. Thought it was absolutely amazing and went off to buy The Varangian Way.

I also have Battle Metal now, which I like-except some songs don't catch my attention at all. However, RRR...awesome. As well as Katuman Kaiku. I believe I've taken a liking to One More and Midnight Sunrise off the Battle Metal album.

anyone have news on the accordion player who ran away? haha.
07.01.2009 - 18:09
MeloDeathViking
I love "Those Were the Days" from the Heart of Turisas EP, great drinking song!
----
"I am not superstitious, but I'm a little 'stitious." - Michael Scott
08.01.2009 - 02:41
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by senzafine on 12.06.2008 at 09:46

anyone have news on the accordion player who ran away? haha.

Nah, you'd probably have to talk to him personally to find out. Alls I know is they replaced him...a while ago.
----
- George Carlin
21.09.2009 - 12:49
The Somberlain
The best folk metal band ever! i love they music they are the bests with Korpiklaani !
21.09.2009 - 12:58
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
There are better folk metal bands, man...but Turisas are great indeed
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

21.09.2009 - 13:36
Warman
Erotic Stains
As I said before, Turisas is a good studio band but a so much better live band. And yes, there are a lot better Folk bands.
----
27.09.2009 - 17:13
Mahler
I heard them for the first time about a year ago on a pandora playlist, ever since then i've loved them. My personal favorite song is "Miklagard Overture," one of the most amazing songs i've ever heard. I saw them play it live on youtube, i cant believe they sound better live than on a cd.
24.06.2010 - 23:14
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Caution, wet floor

(from Turisas' Facebook)
----

03.07.2010 - 20:51
Susan
Smeghead
Elite
That MAY be the best concert photo ever.
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
04.07.2010 - 12:02
Black_Sheep
Never liked this band. It's not that they're bad, i just found their songs damn boring. I once listened to their album (the varagnian way) all the way, and all the songs sound more or less the same. Boooring.

And i pretty much hate folk metal these days. Eluveitie is one of the very few bands that i can stand.
----
"Reality is almost always wrong."
18.07.2010 - 21:31
Angel Of Mercy
To be honest, they are one of the only bands who are better live then studio.
----
Your time will come.
30.07.2010 - 14:25
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Written by Black_Sheep on 04.07.2010 at 12:02

And i pretty much hate folk metal these days. Eluveitie is one of the very few bands that i can stand.

and i pretty much love folk metal, but Eluveitie is one of the very few bands that i cannot stand
----

30.07.2010 - 14:26
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Written by Angel Of Mercy on 18.07.2010 at 21:31

To be honest, they are one of the only bands who are better live then studio.

dunno how many bands are better live, but i agree live Turisas are awesome
----

31.07.2010 - 08:43
Susan
Smeghead
Elite
Well, they're awesome in the studio, too! But yes, live they are one of the best around, certainly MY best live show ever! The whole band has a wonderful stage presence and energy (it's not like some guys just stand there and the singer does all the work pumping up the crowd - they ALL work for it and enjoy it). Great set programming, too: they know just when you're ready to dance and when you're ready for a big friendly sing-a-long and when you need to just fucking rock. I left their show more pumped than ever
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
22.01.2011 - 23:00
Varegan
Hamranakara
So the Finnish god of war is about to come out of his cave soon and talk to his fans once more, i just listened to "Stand up and Fight" and Supernaut, i also saw a pic of their new set of armors, they gonna be more internatinal and i have a real good feeling about that.
----
Written by muthafucka on 08.07.2010 at 06:46

"METAL STORM" (LIGHTING STRIKES)
23.01.2011 - 13:26
SabrinaMetal
The new album is cool, but less battle metal

http://www.metal4bremen.de
----
http://www.metal4bremen.de
24.01.2011 - 09:14
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Yeah, judging by the new pics on the website, it looks like sort of a Road Warrior feel. Could be interesting.
----
- George Carlin
27.01.2011 - 21:22
kellyohnooo
I got more of a road warrior feel as well..! I can't wait to hear the new stuff, and see them live..they are one kickass band to see live, probably my all time favorite. Did anyone else do the preorder for Stand Up and Fight? Its on CMdistro and you get a shirt and poster with the cd! heres linkage to it, http://www.cmdistro.com/Item/Turisas_-_-Stand_Up_And_Fight-_CD_+_Shirt_+_Poster_-PRE-ORDER-/PKG000603
i was suprised it was pretty cheap too..!
30.01.2011 - 21:20
Elodie Artour
Slania
I've just recently got into Turisas and I find them pretty cool. So far, I've only listened to their debut album, as well as their new songs which are available for streaming on the Internetz. Pretty good stuff! (Especially "Stand Up And Fight" itself which is a killer!)

By the way, how the fuck is Turisas' music called "battle metal" ?!
----
Speak up dear 'cause I cannot hear you...
31.01.2011 - 00:41
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Elodie Artour on 30.01.2011 at 21:20

They have a song called battle metal, therefore, all the 16-year-olds that go nuts over this shit had to try and come up with a new genre name for them. Despite the fact they're quite simply folk metal.
----
- George Carlin
31.01.2011 - 00:53
Elodie Artour
Slania
Of course they are. I mean, c'mon - that sounds indeed stupid!
----
Speak up dear 'cause I cannot hear you...
02.02.2011 - 16:21
Luneth
Account deleted
Written by Doc G. on 31.01.2011 at 00:41

They have a song called battle metal, therefore, all the 16-year-olds that go nuts over this shit had to try and come up with a new genre name for them. Despite the fact they're quite simply folk metal.

I sort of agree, I mean I don't get why Turisas are dubbed 'Battle Folk' as no other bands seem to come under that category, but I don't see why it couldn't work, it's basically just another way of describing what kind of folk they play, someone who sees 'Batlle Folk' is instantly going to understand what kind of music they're gonna be listening to.
02.02.2011 - 17:06
Luneth
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 02.02.2011 at 16:50

Simply and simply. a two/three weeks ago, nygård didn't really answer (interview on YLE) what they are, but he mentioned the word: symphonic. anyway i think that battle stuff isn't so wrong, it's more to describe themes (adventures etc.) /concerts ("make-up", speeches, fantasy, heroism) /image (sum of all) /atmosphere (moods it sets to listeners). the whole battle in turisas may (i've read before bal-sagoth is a influence) well be rooted in bal-sagoth (battle magic) etc. there are many things these two bands share, but the biggest ones must be 1] creating dreamscape 2] no album like the other (evolving).

i remember when i first time heard battle metal (song/when it was released), i liked it and partially despised it for sounding too close to bal-sagoth. well. that despising didn't last for long time.

That makes sense, I never really thought about that contrast between Bal-Sagoth and Turisas, but now you mention it your absolutely right, it's uncanny. Battle Metal has a very 'Naked Steel' feel to it.
03.02.2011 - 00:20
IronAngel
Both Turisas and Moonsorrow were always Bal-Sagoth worship in the synth department, yes. I'm not too thrilled about their new album, the title track I heard was pretty lame. I have a hard time deciding whether I like Turisas or not. I've seen them a few times, and the first time (around Battle Metal's release) was pretty good. I disagree about them being better live, though. Many bands are, IMO, but not them. They're good, but there's so much cool stuff going on in their albums that they can't reproduce all that. They have their moments, but half of their music is rather bland. I don't like it when they go folk, they sound so fake. But when they go all bombastic with their Bal-Sagoth worship, it's sweet.

I don't get why people whine and wonder about "battle metal" or any descriptors either. They act as if style descriptions and categories (or "genres" if you want to use it in the broad sense) are something real, objective and unchanging. There's nothing silly about dubbing a single band with a new description. It's just not very useful in most contexts, I'll grant you that. But rich language is good, and using a variety of descriptive, lively terms when you talk about music is generally desireable. If you can label, categorize and describe a single band in five different ways, that only shows the malleability of musical boundaries and the diversity of the perspective you have into it. It's by no means a bad thing.

That said, battle metal sounds cheesy and stupid, but so does almost every metal style name. Cheesy and stupid is kind of the metal thing.
03.02.2011 - 00:35
Ragana
Rawrcat

I've just recently got into Turisas and I find them pretty cool. So far, I've only listened to their debut album, as well as their new songs which are available for streaming on the Internetz. Pretty good stuff! (Especially "Stand Up And Fight" itself which is a killer!)

You definitely should listen to the second album. I don't listen to folk metal any more but, when I did, their second album "The Varangian Way" was among my absolute favourites whilst I did not like the "Battle Metal" at all. They seemed to be a lot more symphonic and somewhat more powerful on their second album... well, now that I've said good things about Turisas and this album, I actually want to hear it again.