9 want it

01. Necromegalopolis Of Coprolites
02. Maelström Mani Padme Hum
03. Solar Defrag
04. Transonic Mahasamadhi

Staff review by
X-Ray Rod
Rating:
?And France is at it again, making exquisite music. It's not black metal as we've been accustomed to hear from this country throughout the years though. Well, there are some slight black influences but Atonal Hypermnesia is more than that, so much more.

In the industrial family, P.H.O.B.O.S. seems to be Blut Aus Nord's cousin and Uncle Godflesh's nephew. He's quite a sophisticated and independent relative though, using some of the mechanical aspects seen in Godflesh but taking away the bludgeoning and aggressive aspect of it in order to have a much colder and indifferent tone. Sounds similar of his compatriots can be heard in the highly dissonant guitars yet again the project's mastermind Frédéric Sacri demonstrates that he's one of the smarter cookies around by taking such sounds and molding them for his own purposes, slowing the riffing to a glacial and agonizing pace.

Read more ››
published 29.05.2012 | Comments (17)

Take Blut Aus Nord's Procession of the Dead Clowns, slow it down to glacial pace, completely dehumanize guitars, subdue the vocals to the point of non-existence, and add tons of sick reverb. Spice up with dementia and insanity. That's Atonal Hypermnesia for you.

Daniell's picks | More picks ››

Found in 12 lists
Top lists

Comments page 2 / 2

Comments: 47   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 230 users
17.05.2013 - 14:37
Rating: 9
mz

Sounds like a must listen for me since I enjoy Godflesh and Ban to a great extent. Too bad I can not find it on net and cant play youtube properly
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
18.05.2013 - 02:05
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
This is the sound of an invading mechanical apocalypse.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
16.06.2013 - 18:13
mz

Finally got around to listen to this album and this really kicks ass.
----
16.06.2013 - 23:31
mz

This album had been on top of my check list for the last six month and I finally listened to it today after so much search on net. I have to say that this totally deserves the time I spent searching for it and praise here. PHOBOS has put black, doom and industrial metal into a mixture machine and the final dronized product is massive attack to the listener's mind. Also, this album was surprisingly easy on my ears, probably because of the Godflesh comparison that made me prepare myself for an intensely abrasive and harsh album.
Despite the fact that this is already great album, I feel that there is room for improvement. I personally would prefer a more abrasive album or some dark ambient effects here and there...
----
16.07.2013 - 00:32
Rating: 8
Góral
Combo Breaker
The Gate to hell is located in France..
13.10.2013 - 15:53
Demerzel

Finally listened to this. I can't shake the feeling that it could have always been harsher and more crushing. It has huge potential which it doesn't live up to. I do love how it just stops at times, builds up a foreboding, tedious feeling and just breaks into it's usual order of business.
13.10.2013 - 22:26
mz

Written by Demerzel on 13.10.2013 at 15:53

...I can't shake the feeling that it could have always been more harsher and crushing...

check their previous album if you are looking for harsher and more crushing album. that one is a real beast, probably the most crushing album I've ever heard
----
30.10.2013 - 04:44
Lit.
Account deleted
I owe France a massive apology.
They've been spitting out shit that I've been loving lately. This, for example.
23.04.2014 - 19:07
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
I'm gonna move this discussion to keep it online (since it began in a The Great Old Ones album thread...)

Written by tea[m]ster on 23.04.2014 at 19:02

Written by X-Ray Rod on 23.04.2014 at 18:58

Written by tea[m]ster on 23.04.2014 at 18:53
I was just teasing a bit. No doubt this is black metal but I want to lean more towards post-black. We all hear what we want to hear...

Last time you used that line it was to call P.H.O.B.O.S. industrial sludge. So I'm not going to buy that line AT ALL.

But Doc, I really don't know what generic black metal is supposed to sound like. You know me and check my collection, anything having to do with black metal is usually in a sub-genre of it...or I stupidly confuse something that is black with another genre....PHOBOS a great example!

You get a free card for not being into black. P.H.O.B.O.S. is more or less a combination of Black metal (point of reference: Blut Aus Nord), Industrial (a la Godflesh) and some doomy vibe (not gonna call it doom but it does give away some moments in that vein... Specially with the extreme funeral-doom-like slowness).

That's about it.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
23.04.2014 - 19:11
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Written by X-Ray Rod on 23.04.2014 at 19:07

You get a free card for not being into black. P.H.O.B.O.S. is more or less a combination of Black metal (point of reference: Blut Aus Nord), Industrial (a la Godflesh) and some doomy vibe (not gonna call it doom but it does give away some moments in that vein... Specially with the extreme funeral-doom-like slowness).

Well done. Now go back to TGOO's thread and give me a detailed analysis of what kind of black metal that is.
----
rekt
23.04.2014 - 19:13
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by tea[m]ster on 23.04.2014 at 19:11
Well done. Now go back to TGOO's thread and give me a detailed analysis of what kind of black metal that is.

You'll have to give me some time since I actually haven't heard it (I own it but I've been to lazy to give it its' first spin).
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
23.04.2014 - 19:14
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Written by X-Ray Rod on 23.04.2014 at 19:13

Written by tea[m]ster on 23.04.2014 at 19:11

You'll have to give me some time since I actually haven't heard it (I own it but I've been to lazy to give it its' first spin).

Get on it. I think I will spin it again today.
----
rekt
19.03.2015 - 18:54
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
After finally getting around to listening to their other two albums, I've decided that, while I do like their older, more crushing-industrial-doom type sound, I really hope they keep going in this direction, as Atonal Hypermnesia is definitely their best.
----
15.08.2017 - 22:00
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
Why in the hell do they not have another full length album out yet?
----
13.04.2018 - 16:08
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Jaeryd on 15.08.2017 at 22:00

It's coming
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
14.04.2018 - 19:25
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by Auntie Sahar on 13.04.2018 at 16:08

It's coming

Mastered by Greg Chandler at Priory Recording Studios, Birmingham, UK (Esoteric, Cruciamentum, Grave Miasma)
*dies*

EDIT: Label already uploaded a song, I have no words.
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
26.04.2018 - 21:05
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
Written by Auntie Sahar on 13.04.2018 at 16:08

It's coming

I saw on their Facebook page! Super stoked about it
----

Hits total: 9084 | This month: 8