Metal Storm logo
Bands you used to dislike, but now like?

Original post

Posted by Zombie94, 18.05.2012 - 12:43
Strange how tastes can change over time. I used to dislike Meshuggah, Behemoth, Testament, Sodom and Kreator. And now some of these are my favourite bands! Do any of you have similar experiences of going from thinking a band is terrible, to loving them?

If so: What band(s)? And what do you think it was that changed your mind about them?
04.09.2015 - 09:02
Ganondox

I may slowly be starting to like Lamb of God and maybe at least Cowboy's From Hell Pantera, but I might still hate them.

I didn't like Judas Priest when I first heard them because of the vocals, but after hearing the live version of "Diamond's and Rust" I fell in love with them and gradually got used to the high piched screams as well.

I wouldn't say I exactly disliked them (I think I liked "The Pot", but disliked "Schism", and didn't really investigate them further), but it was awhile before I found the full beauty in Tool. Now they are one of my favorite bands.

I used to hate Korn, but now I like some of their stuff, including their first album which I used to hate most of all.

For both Joe Diplanter and Devin Townsend I didn't like their vocals at first, but now love them. That thus extends to Gojira and Strapping Young Lad respectively.

Finally I didn't like Killswitch Engage the first time I heard them, finding it some horrible hard rockified metalcore crud, but now I realize they are actually pretty good. In a similar vein I didn't like BTHM much when I first them because of the vocals (this was Sempitural, btw), but they've since grown on me.

Written by Jaeryd on 09.09.2012 at 00:53

Screamo = gay emos hitting puberty,
Death growls = strength of the dark gods roaring up from the bowels of hell itself.

I actually vastly prefer the "screamo" style as to me it actually sounds aggressive, while death growls often just sound dumb to me (though with Opeth or Nile I defitely agree with bowells of hell sentiment, but rarely do I actually find bands manifes), but for many of the "screamo" bands it does sound terrible because they don't harmonize it correctly, while the death metal bands seem more likely to at least get that right. Well, I generally prefer high pitched vocals to low pitched ones, clean or otherwise.
04.09.2015 - 19:23
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
Written by Ganondox on 04.09.2015 at 09:02

I actually vastly prefer the "screamo" style as to me it actually sounds aggressive, while death growls often just sound dumb to me (though with Opeth or Nile I defitely agree with bowells of hell sentiment, but rarely do I actually find bands manifes), but for many of the "screamo" bands it does sound terrible because they don't harmonize it correctly, while the death metal bands seem more likely to at least get that right. Well, I generally prefer high pitched vocals to low pitched ones, clean or otherwise.

Yeah I made that comment a few years back when I was still quite stupid and new to the whole death metal scene in general. There's actually quite a lot of crap death metal vocals, and a lot of screamo bands that are just fine. It's not really that long ago, I know, but in the last few years I've already become much less of an idiotic elitist. The lesson is that, regardless of style, good vocals are good, and bad vocals are bad. Seems an easy thing to figure out, I know, but I'm not the brightest person on Metalstorm, so it took me a while.
----
14.09.2015 - 08:56
Amy

I initially didn't like opeth but I enentually did, especially blackwater park was hard to get into. I actually really did not like Blackwater Park on the first listen. I hated mastodon but they're growing on me so I guess I like them now. Even dream theater had to grow on me because James LaBrie's voice bothered me initially. I'm a prog metal fan so while I did like symphony x, pain of salvation and plenty of other band immediately I must some take a few listens.
----
\m/
28.09.2015 - 12:44
Sang Dalang Abu

Written by Amy on 14.09.2015 at 08:56

I initially didn't like opeth but I enentually did, especially blackwater park was hard to get into. I actually really did not like Blackwater Park on the first listen. I hated mastodon but they're growing on me so I guess I like them now. Even dream theater had to grow on me because James LaBrie's voice bothered me initially. I'm a prog metal fan so while I did like symphony x, pain of salvation and plenty of other band immediately I must some take a few listens.

I need <20 spins listen to open my mind to like opeth. Especially Blackwater Park.
The Drapery Fall is the best track

Then I like all their releases.
30.09.2021 - 19:55
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
I used to not like Slayer except for the occasional classics like Raining Blood or South of Heaven title track.
Now, I really like Show No Mercy and Seasons in the Abyss! Hell Awaits is also cool.
02.12.2021 - 17:26
nonZero

Coroner - I really didn't understand what was so great about them until I listened to No More Color a few more times. Now I think they're great!
----
Top 500 Albums (ordered & rated)
Top 200 Overlooked Albums (with genres)
So I Heard You Like Wintersun... (Time II find new bands)
02.12.2021 - 19:38
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
For me it's Blind Guardian, I used to find them too cringey, it took me a while to get into them, but now they are one of my favourite power metal bands.
30.12.2021 - 15:10
mickbiden2

Pretty much the same thing (on a smaller scale) with Rhapsody, though 'til this day I still can't take them seriously. https://teatv.ltd/ https://hellodear.in
30.12.2021 - 19:06
Metal Rasputin

I never really enjoyed grunge or nu metal bands like Nirvana, Korn or Soundgarden before, death metal and traditional were more my thing. Lately I've had a little project regarding 90's popular culture and been really exposed to that kind of stuff, not just the easy and obvious hits every mainstream rock radio plays every now and then.
----
You've got a lot of guts. Let's see what they look like!
10.01.2022 - 16:48
gavdann

Written by Metal Rasputin on 30.12.2021 at 19:06

I never really enjoyed grunge

Mudhoney are my favourite "grunge" period band. I particularly like their early EPs and first two albums.

Not sure whether they're considered grunge or not these days but I really like Fugazi, Pixies and Dinosaur Jr as well.

I liked Nirvana but never cared for the other biggies; Pearl Jam, Soundgarden or Alice In Chains.