01. Abeyance
02. Remnants
03. Fraught
04. Absit Omen
05. To Stir The Sea
06. In Parting
07. The Dream And The Waking
08. By Moon And Star

In what can only be described as a natural progression of one of the most highly regarded melodic death metal albums of the decade in Stone's Reach, Be'lakor have taken to the studio once more with the hopes of building on their already unrelenting momentum.

Of Breath and Bone begins as if "Countless Skies" was a season finale that left its audience begging for answers, building upon the exact qualities responsible for the praise of its predecessor. The dense, almost depressive atmosphere is as prominent as ever, separating the band from the sea of melodic death metal as oil asserts itself atop water. Their songwriting prowess is put on display as early as the opening track, "Abeyance", and just gets better and better throughout the course of the album. A noticeable difference this time around is the more folk-influenced guitar melodies, and a stronger focus on piano passages - both of which add to the overall somber mood. It's far from being monumentally different, but that's not going to upset a great deal of fans by any means.

In spite of the subtle changes, the album as a whole works perfectly as a direct follow-up to Stone's Reach, as some of the riffs even sound similar in the sense that - again - a story is being concluded. The fact that this ability spans two albums and not just two songs is rather impressive in itself, but this isn't the band's most appealing quality. That distinction would go to the accessibility, which of course at this point is synonymous with the genre, but here Be'lakor have an advantage. Building on the aforementioned atmosphere, these guys manage to include some incredibly catchy riffs and haunting melodies that are capable of inducing a man-tear or two while the headbanging quality is top-notch. Think Amon Amarth at their manliest or Insomnium at their bleakest. The band members deserve kudos if not only for incorporating elements from both bands while maintaining their own voice - something that is unique in this genre.

Songs begin and end in what is fast becoming "typical fashion" for the band, with introductions that build up a bombastic body of work before closing out with even more fervent proficiency, and yet another break in the action by way of an acoustic instrumental track ("To Stir the Sea") keeps the album from becoming one continuous melting pot of overlapping riffs.

Simply put, Of Breath and Bone is more of the same but in a more continued sense that will undoubtedly cause the same stir as its predecessor. This album doesn't mark a new direction and maintains the same successful formula as before, but this time around the entirety of the band's sound comes off as more direct, and even slightly more daring. With a mixture of fluffy, light-hearted melodies and brutal fist-pounding riffs backing up the always delectable growls of George Kosmas; a heavy production that lends a major hand to the doleful vibe, thanks in large part to Jens Bogren; and insanely catchy, yet forward-thinking compositions, these Australians have delivered exactly what fans of the band have been eagerly awaiting. No unpleasant surprises, no needless changes or drastic transitions - just well-executed melancholic melodic death metal that further builds upon a foundation that is largely considered to be one of the strongest currently in the scene.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 7
Production: 10

Written on 23.05.2012 by I'm total pro; that's what I'm here for.

Comments page 2 / 3

Comments: 90   Visited by: 1034 users
24.05.2012 - 22:19
Rating: 6
X-FrEaK
Written by Troy Killjoy on 24.05.2012 at 17:30

Written by Kuroboshi on 24.05.2012 at 16:33
A 9 from the Killjoy? This certainly ups my hopes, since I absolutely adore their sophomore effort. And a good review by the way! I'm actually a bit surprised that you don't appreciate In Mourning more than you do...

That's actually a lie, when I first listened to them I was quite interested, but quickly brushed it off. Their latest effort is too drawn-out for its own good.

True, it took a really long time for the album to grow on me. Hope Be'lakor's can surpass In Mourning's by a long shot
----
24.05.2012 - 23:46
Rating: 8
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Written by Paz on 24.05.2012 at 22:15

Well, it's leaked...

shocker...
----
rekt
24.05.2012 - 23:50
Rating: 9
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by tea[m]ster on 24.05.2012 at 23:46
shocker...

I suppose I'm shocked it took this long - I've had the digital version in my inbox for like two weeks now.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
24.05.2012 - 23:53
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Written by Troy Killjoy on 24.05.2012 at 23:50

I suppose I'm shocked it took this long - I've had the digital version in my inbox for like two weeks now.

Yea, but the scene usually doesn't like to post 192kps crap, usually wait for a crisp 320.

Nice review Troy. I do like this band very much...
----
rekt
25.05.2012 - 00:31
Rating: 10
Risto
Wandering Midget
Digipack copies are starting to reach their owners already. The band pleaded on Facebook not to leak it but you know that's not going to help much...
25.05.2012 - 00:33
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Risto on 25.05.2012 at 00:31
Digipack copies are starting to reach their owners already. The band pleaded on Facebook not to leak it but you know that's not going to help much...

You can't expect an honor system to work like that. Pre-orders inevitably lead to early leaks.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
25.05.2012 - 01:33
belakorband
Written by Risto on 25.05.2012 at 00:31

I would hardly say we "pleaded", it was more a polite request with an air of resignation

I agree with Troy, we're actually surprised it has taken this long to leak when reviewers had the album long ago. Thanks guys, hope you enjoy the album!
25.05.2012 - 02:40
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by belakorband on 25.05.2012 at 01:33
I agree with Troy, we're actually surprised it has taken this long to leak when reviewers had the album long ago. Thanks guys, hope you enjoy the album!

Well I'm happy at least it wasn't leaked when reviewers were given their copies... of course fans are eager to share their new purchases though.

As if it needed to be said, I thoroughly enjoyed the album. Already looking forward to the next release.
----
25.05.2012 - 05:35
Timmeh
Dudeman
Written by Troy Killjoy on 24.05.2012 at 17:28

Did you pre-order a signed digipak? Apparently they sold out as soon as they were available.

Sure did opening the package as I type this, oh boy!! (#46/200) They sold out in around a day and a half if I remember right.
25.05.2012 - 10:09
Rating: 10
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by belakorband on 25.05.2012 at 01:33

I would hardly say we "pleaded", it was more a polite request with an air of resignation

Not the best choice of words I guess
25.05.2012 - 13:09
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Timmeh on 25.05.2012 at 05:35

Written by Troy Killjoy on 24.05.2012 at 17:28

Did you pre-order a signed digipak? Apparently they sold out as soon as they were available.

Sure did opening the package as I type this, oh boy!! (#46/200) They sold out in around a day and a half if I remember right.

a day and a half? I actually find that amazingly long for 200 copies of a special version by a band in a genre which is really popular to sell out
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

25.05.2012 - 15:56
Timmeh
Dudeman
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 25.05.2012 at 13:09
a day and a half? I actually find that amazingly long for 200 copies of a special version by a band in a genre which is really popular to sell out

40 hours to be precise (just checked there facebook). Their large following and popularity on this site gives the illusion that they are much more well known then they actually are. A quick MS fan to facebook 'like' ratio analysis to back me up.

MS popularity index
117: Norther - 38,158 'likes'
118: Be'lakor - 10,016 'likes'
119: Pain of Salvation - 67,118 'likes'

As for 40 hours to sell 200 digipacks over 10k people, you're probably right maybe that is a long time. My point though, Be'lakor may seem a bigger band who'd you expect to sell quick but perhaps not.
25.05.2012 - 16:14
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Timmeh on 25.05.2012 at 15:56

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 25.05.2012 at 13:09

40 hours to be precise (just checked there facebook). Their large following and popularity on this site gives the illusion that they are much more well known then they actually are. A quick MS fan to facebook 'like' ratio analysis to back me up.

MS popularity index
117: Norther - 38,158 'likes'
118: Be'lakor - 10,016 'likes'
119: Pain of Salvation - 67,118 'likes'

As for 40 hours to sell 200 digipacks over 10k people, you're probably right maybe that is a long time. My point though, Be'lakor may seem a bigger band who'd you expect to sell quick but perhaps not.

I find it a long time because usually when I want to buy something limited to 200 copies of a doom band (such as Hooded Menace, Mournful Congregation, Coffins etc) I have to react within 20 hours or else it will be sold out and ALL those bands are a lot lot lot smaller than Be'lakor looking at it from a popularity side of things.

Btw I meant how immensely ridicuoulsy popular melodeath is, not specifically this band within this genre.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

25.05.2012 - 17:26
Chobo_jokeR
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 25.05.2012 at 16:14

I find it a long time because usually when I want to buy something limited to 200 copies of a doom band (such as Hooded Menace, Mournful Congregation, Coffins etc) I have to react within 20 hours or else it will be sold out and ALL those bands are a lot lot lot smaller than Be'lakor looking at it from a popularity side of things.

Btw I meant how immensely ridicuoulsy popular melodeath is, not specifically this band within this genre.

I'd go out on a limb and say that's because doom fans are more dedicated to their favourite bands. Be'lakor likely has many fans, but maybe not many that would be scouring the internet for any sort of deal on them. Ahab's new vinyls sold out in no time. Mournful Congregation's Box Of Kings sold out in the blink of an eye. And you're right, they don't nearly have the following a band like Be'lakor does. May even be fair to say that doom fans might be a more "mature" group and actually have the money to buy the merch of their favourite bands (this is totally speculation).
25.05.2012 - 18:26
Timmeh
Dudeman
All interesting points and theories maybe it just does come down to the general type of fans (a debatable topic itself) and whether they actually often buy their music as opposed to other modes of acquiring it. Or maybe they are all just too "mature" and hence computer illiterate to find other ways .
25.05.2012 - 19:02
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Chobo_jokeR on 25.05.2012 at 17:26

...Mournful Congregation's Box Of Kings sold out in the blink of an eye.

And one is coming my way soon
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

25.05.2012 - 19:44
Chobo_jokeR
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 25.05.2012 at 19:02

That's awesome. It looked extremely impressive. Definitely a fantastic collector's piece.
25.05.2012 - 21:40
Maxx666
Meshuggahian
Must get this album.. it bleeds beauty all over it!! totally amazing
26.05.2012 - 02:57
Lit.
Account deleted
U mad, wolf?
26.05.2012 - 11:30
A bit disappointed by this... ok, when you find a formula which works, you tend to stick to it, but what's disappointing about this album is the total lack of progression and evolution. It's Stone's Reach number 2. Did we need another one? Judging by Be'lakor's popularity, obviously yes... I'm enjoying it - don't get me wrong - but it's frustrating to see their huge potential not totally fulfilled...
26.05.2012 - 11:32

I found the new Mournful Congregation SOOOOO boring I couldn't even listen to the whole album... gathering dust on my shelves...
26.05.2012 - 11:43
Slayer666
Written by Merchant of Doom on 26.05.2012 at 11:32

I found the new Mournful Congregation SOOOOO boring I couldn't even listen to the whole album... gathering dust on my shelves...

Some Merchant of Doom you are... That was the best extreme doom release of the year, if you ask me. "The Waterless Streams", just a priceless track.
26.05.2012 - 12:44
Written by Slayer666 on 26.05.2012 at 11:43

Some Merchant of Doom you are... That was the best extreme doom release of the year, if you ask me. "The Waterless Streams", just a priceless track.

Same point... after 4 full lengths, two demos and numerous splits, it just gets boring to hear the same formula over and over again... I didn't say it's a bad album, just boring... they've been going on since 1994! Don't they get bored themselves?
26.05.2012 - 12:58
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite

Yet you enjoy doom which makes Mournful Congregation look like one of the most varied bands ever
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

26.05.2012 - 13:18
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 26.05.2012 at 12:58

Yet you enjoy doom which makes Mournful Congregation look like one of the most varied bands ever

Mournful Congregation are worse than the most boring bands I listen too. My point was that they have been around for over 15 years and are still using the same formula... so, they are boring. Any other band doing this would be slaughtered, yet, for some reason, MC are untouchable. The albums are good, but I'm bored of them... did I say boring?
26.05.2012 - 13:23
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Okay okay I like Mournful Congregation, but why are we talking about them in a Be'lakor review thread?
----
26.05.2012 - 13:24
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Merchant of Doom on 26.05.2012 at 13:18

Mournful Congregation are worse than the most boring bands I listen too. My point was that they have been around for over 15 years and are still using the same formula... so, they are boring. Any other band doing this would be slaughtered, yet, for some reason, MC are untouchable. The albums are good, but I'm bored of them... did I say boring?

Same thing? they have changed a lot over the years. If you can''t hear that you''re deaf I find it funny that the person who likes most generic funeral doom which adds totally nothign new to the table would call MC boring and saying they haven't changed and would see that as a weak point about them
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

26.05.2012 - 13:32
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 26.05.2012 at 13:24

Same thing? they have changed a lot over the years. If you can''t hear that you''re deaf I find it funny that the person who likes most generic funeral doom which adds totally nothign new to the table would call MC boring and saying they haven't changed and would see that as a weak point about them

Who says I only listen to funeral doom? Where did this silly thing come from? I like all doom, apart from stoner and trad... The last 3 MC's albums sound exactly the same... heavy part, soft part, heavy part... Most bands progress... listen to the new Aldebaran or even Ahab's (like them or not, that's not the point)...
26.05.2012 - 13:35
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Merchant of Doom on 26.05.2012 at 13:32

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 26.05.2012 at 13:24

Who says I only listen to funeral doom? Where did this silly thing come from? I like all doom, apart from stoner and trad... The last 3 MC's albums sound exactly the same... heavy part, soft part, heavy part... Most bands progress... listen to the new Aldebaran or even Ahab's (like them or not, that's not the point)...

please quote properly first

And where did I say you listen to funeral doom only? Rereread what I wrote "the person who likes most generic funeral doom''. Nowhere does that sentence imply you only listen to funeral doom, it only implies you like a lot of generic funeral doom, which you do.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

26.05.2012 - 13:39
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 26.05.2012 at 13:35

please quote properly first

And where did I say you listen to funeral doom only? Rereread what I wrote "the person who likes most generic funeral doom''. Nowhere does that sentence imply you only listen to funeral doom, it only implies you like a lot of generic funeral doom, which you do.

you didn't give me the time to fix the message! Again, you think I listen to generic funeral doom, but that's your opinion... I find MC's doom generic too...

Hits total: 24958 | This month: 33