01. The Halls Of Sorrow
02. Suffering Is A Virtue
03. Earth Expired
04. Necrotic Reflection
05. Halo Of Worms

Staff review by
KwonVerge
Rating:
There are some bands that inhale doom and exhale doooom, automatically separating themselves from the womb of mediocre or good/very good releases. Ophis has to be one of them, a Deutsch doom/death metal act that gave birth to the most representative work of the genre for 2010 so far, Withered Shades.

I really don't know from where to start and where to end, this album is an earthquake and the seismic waves sweep the place, at first you sense the threat approaching and then everything collapses. Yes, this album is heavy, heavy to the bone, the distortion expands all over the place and the great riffs succeed one another so naturally that you can't escape this colossal wall of sound that reaches new heights every time you seem to approach the top. Despite its heavy air, you will find many wonderful moments that add an intense vibe of melody or even acoustic-driven passages that offer diversity to the sound so as not to sound monotonous, monolithic yes, monotonous no. Ophis like it slow, but they like it outbursting as well and never forget to shake the foundations of your house and pass over the remains like a steam-roller just to make sure they didn't leave a column standing. Phlipp's interpretation is conquering, deep grunts make the earth tremble in fear whereas his more shrieking lines that appear sporadically offer diversity and present another extreme face of Withered Shades. And we couldn't forget the rhythm section, the bass lines lend depth and vibration while the drumming will not stick to the basics, Nils Groth appears to be a charismatic drummer offering many creative passages through the whole duration of the album. Of course it will be slow-paced whenever needed but it won't forget to ruin your calmness with its powerful and upbeat air.

Read more ››
published 15.10.2010 | Comments (27)

Found in 17 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 27   Visited by: 209 users
24.05.2012 - 02:37
Rating: 9
Chobo_jokeR

DOoOoOoooOoOoom at it's finest. Eagerly await the EP and hopefully a new album (fingers crossed)
24.05.2012 - 19:19
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by Chobo_jokeR on 24.05.2012 at 02:37

DOoOoOoooOoOoom at it's finest. Eagerly await the EP and hopefully a new album (fingers crossed)

+1 I think one of the new songs was played live and I remember Marcel saying that it rocked
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
24.05.2012 - 19:27
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by InnerSelf on 24.05.2012 at 19:19

Written by Chobo_jokeR on 24.05.2012 at 02:37

+1 I think one of the new songs was played live and I remember Marcel saying that it rocked

Both new songs were played and they both rocked
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

24.05.2012 - 20:08
Chobo_jokeR

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 24.05.2012 at 19:27

Written by InnerSelf on 24.05.2012 at 19:19

Yeehaw! That's always good news. These guys are just devastating.
24.05.2012 - 22:32
InnerSelf
proofread free
Quote:
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 24.05.2012 at 19:27

Great !
----
is not bold enough
15.08.2012 - 16:42
Oaken
Hipster
Is this slower than stuff like Ahab or Esoteric or is it faster?
----
In that case, man is only air as well.
15.08.2012 - 16:43
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Who cares if it is slower or faster? Just check it out and you'll find out for yourself
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

15.08.2012 - 17:13
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 15.08.2012 at 16:43

Who cares if it is slower or faster? Just check it out and you'll find out for yourself

No. You see... We have to, like... Describe the whole fucking thing ourselves so we won't waste his precious time doing what most people interested in something do:
You know... the whole "discovering things on your own" deal.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
15.08.2012 - 17:21
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 15.08.2012 at 16:43

Just check it out and you'll find out for yourself

Yup, The hunt is the best part about finding new music.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
07.10.2012 - 00:32
ThunderAxe1989
Account deleted
Why certain people above have to be so fucking rude, I don't understand......very uncalled for :

....But anyway, pretty great doom. I love the melodies very much on this release!
01.11.2012 - 04:34
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Guest on 07.10.2012 at 00:32

Why certain people above have to be so fucking rude, I don't understand......very uncalled for :

Not really, the whole 20 seconds it would take him to Youtube a track, is longer than the time it would take me to type to him how it sounds.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
02.11.2012 - 04:23
ThunderAxe1989
Account deleted
Written by Boxcar Willy on 01.11.2012 at 04:34

Written by Guest on 07.10.2012 at 00:32

Not really, the whole 20 seconds it would take him to Youtube a track, is longer than the time it would take me to type to him how it sounds.

Oh you thought I meant YOU because you're directly above me. No no, trust me, I didn't mean you, it's all good dude......I didn't mean that in such an exact way.

But, seriously, had this been real life conversation and not through the internet, it would be no problem. I just think they were acting rude to the guy.....over a whole pile of nothing! Over shit that isn't worth being rude over!

Is it because Ophis are of the darker, more depressive sub-genres that people feel the need to act as such? This is a gigantically recurring problem in Metal. yeah, I like Black Metal, I like DPBM, I like Doom Metal, I like Atmospheric/Dark Metal or whatever.....So THEREFORE, let me not smile, and act bitter towards the whole world! It's like, stop being such a tool you know? I ALWAYS see this shit and it's shameful.

Fans or potential fans of bands should be supportive to one another for sharing the common bond.
30.06.2013 - 13:59
Fritillaria
Account deleted
Well this album is totally fine, good stuff, I heard some very catchy tunes, yet I don't know why I can't like it more than Mourning Beloveth, I mean although this is a good album but it can't be no better death doom metal than whatever Mourning Beloveth has been till now in my opinion.If I haven't heard Mourning Beloveth albums before,I could love this.
30.06.2013 - 14:15
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 30.06.2013 at 13:59

Well this album is totally fine, good stuff, I heard some very catchy tunes, yet I don't know why I can't like it more than Mourning Beloveth, I mean although this is a good album but it can't be no better death doom metal than whatever Mourning Beloveth has been till now in my opinion.If I haven't heard Mourning Beloveth albums before,I could love this.

I fail to seee why you would compare Ophis to Mourning Beloveth. the two sound nothing alike. Okay Mourning Beloveth plays death/doom and Ophis doom/death but that's it. Ophis relies a lot more on pure death metal as its basis than MB who really way more on melodic doom at its basis.

Comparing Ophis to MB is like comparing them to Officium Triste. Okay they're all good friends all the band members in those three bands but that's it.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

30.06.2013 - 14:26
Fritillaria
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 30.06.2013 at 14:15

I fail to seee why you would compare Ophis to Mourning Beloveth. the two sound nothing alike. Okay Mourning Beloveth plays death/doom and Ophis doom/death but that's it. Ophis relies a lot more on pure death metal as its basis than MB who really way more on melodic doom at its basis.

Comparing Ophis to MB is like comparing them to Officium Triste. Okay they're all good friends all the band members in those three bands but that's it.

no, I don't want to compare them musically,I was trying to say that if I want to pick albums or bands from this genre,death doom,it won't be easy,because every time something resembles in my head,MB was much better than that.Go back to MB if you want death doom I wish I haven't heard them before I find other bands in this genre.
07.09.2014 - 22:21
Erik M.

At this point it's hard to tell whether I prefer this one or the debut, seeing as both are fantastic albums. If the 3rd album is just as excellent as these two, Ophis might be the most consistent death doom band ever for me. These guys are ridiculously good at making death doom, that much is clear.
05.09.2015 - 23:46
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Pretty decent, good one, I like this one better a solder one, nice drumming, class death/doom peace
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
27.03.2017 - 21:40
Rating: 7
DeathMetal

I liked how they were more on the death metal side than the doom side, but it's still run of the mill death doom to me.
04.08.2017 - 18:58
LuciferOfGayness
Account deleted
Best death doom this decade?
04.08.2017 - 19:56
Paz
Nuclear Cowboy
Written by Guest on 04.08.2017 at 18:58

I slightly prefer Vessels Of Light And Decay by Indesinence.
04.08.2017 - 20:17
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by Paz on 04.08.2017 at 19:56

Oh man, tough choice between those two! Any of Mourning Beloveth's albums from this decade are up there as well.
----
is not bold enough
11.08.2017 - 23:37
VIG
Account deleted
Written by Paz on 04.08.2017 at 19:56

That's one of my favorites of this decade's death doom as well.
12.08.2017 - 12:02
Paz
Nuclear Cowboy
Also, do not forget about Hooded Menace and their magnum opus Never Cross The Dead
24.03.2019 - 23:51
Maco
Pvt Funderground
This is probably their best.
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
13.09.2021 - 17:21
Rating: 10
Draugen

This is my go to album when I'm in the mood for some filthy and depressing death/doom. One of the best of its genre.
13.09.2021 - 18:17
Deadsoulman

I'm not sure I've ever come across an album that has a better production than this one.
13.10.2023 - 19:31
A Real Mönkey

This album is the musical equivalent of being raked through hot coal.
----
"Change the world. My final message. Goodbye."

~Last words of Harambe, seconds before he was shot, according to child he shielded from gunfire

Hits total: 9122 | This month: 37