13. Still I Don't Know [2006 Expanded Edition bonus]
14. Take It To The Limit [2006 Expanded Edition bonus]
15. Electric Eye [Judas Priest cover] [2006 Expanded Edition bonus]
16. Magnetic Fields [Jean Michel Jarre cover] [2006 Expanded Edition bonus]
17. Rain [Status Quo cover] [2006 Expanded Edition bonus]
18. Walk Your Way [2006 Expanded Edition bonus]
19. Light In The Sky [2006 Expanded Edition bonus]
20. Time Goes By [2006 Expanded Edition bonus]

Helloween worked very hard to "correct" their "mistakes", those mistakes being the less popular albums Pink Bubbles Go Ape and Chameleon, which are very experimental and progressive as opposed to the usual speed metal that comes from these German pioneers. Anyway, classic heavy metal tracks are found here in the Judas Priest vein like "We Burn" and "Kings Will Be Kings". Besides "Wake Up the Mountain" and the common fan favorite "Power" there is really nothing else on this album interesting to comment on. Does that make it a bad album? No! What made this album deserve a mediocre rating are its very bland and repetitive tendencies. They dig up the sound of the well known and loved Keepers albums, and play it to death. We get "epics" that go nowhere and a few sappy ballads with no emotion that seem forced and half assed. There is also a tongue in cheek number that is more embarrassing than humorous.

The rest of the tracks are not really worth mentioning here. This is pretty much an album that should have never been released. Actually, it shouldn't even have been thought to be released for that matter. Take a look at the artwork. Does it look familiar? It should because it is the same album cover to Keeper of the 7 Keys part 1, just modernized. This is basically what you are also getting in the music - a modernized version of an album that should not have had a sequel. How this album is considered to be their best, I will never know.

Written by Joey Jo Jo | 06.08.2005

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Guest review by
Mountain King
Rating:
Seeing that the one review of this album on Metal Storm does it no justice at all, I decided to share my thoughts about it. Some people claim that Helloween reached their peak with Andi Deris on Dark Ride. I would have to disagree because looking at the track list it's obvious that some of the strongest Helloween numbers appear. From the anthem "Power" to the power metal massacre of "Kings Will Be Kings" to the touching "Forever and One" there are really no disappointing songs.

Read more ››
published 01.04.2011 | Comments (9)

Comments

Comments: 21   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 133 users
09.11.2006 - 10:45
Talvi

Is this considered their best? I doubt it. This album is the only 'really' good one after Keepers 2. The Dark Ride is MUCH better and is their trully best.
----
My account on other musical pages:
http://www.last.fm/user/Pozito/
http://rateyourmusic.com/~Talvi
10.11.2006 - 18:29
Baz Anderson

i never made the connection between this album and the 'Keeper...' albums. i dont understand that at all

i think this is a great album and i am glad it was released..

also people that criticise Helloween always seem to make reference to how something that is suppose to be funny just isnt
and thats something that annoys me as well because i find everything funny that they want to be funny, either because i do find it funny - or because it is just stupid ('Heavy Metal Hamsters' for example)

but whatever. i would give this album nine out of ten
12.11.2006 - 13:58
Opium Magnet
Account deleted
"There is also a tongue in cheek number that is more embarrassing than humorous" are you referring to track 8?
09.06.2007 - 08:23
Rating: 9
Grey_Dandelion

only 6???its an excellent album with great songs like kings will be kings,steel tormentor,power,mission motherland,before the war and of course the excellent if i knew
----
Don't turn away just take my hand and when you make your final stand i ll be right there i ll never leave all i ask of you is believe...
10.06.2007 - 00:34
Bitch Boy

Haha 6?? I would give this one at least 8 This is one of my favorite Helloween albums.
09.11.2007 - 20:57
Dowi

Come on , Aguirre, it's the best album they have released so far. All the tracks are amazing, even the silly "anything my mamma don't like".
PD: Keeper...who?
07.04.2008 - 17:46
Lone Reaper

This is the best album that "Hells" released with Andi Deris on vocals...
IMHO, this album must be rated with 9 or even 9.5...

And "Anything My Mamma Don't Like" isn't more silly that legendary "I Want Out". Helloween known as a band with a great humour sence
19.01.2009 - 15:59
Rating: 8
Spyroid
Rosetta Stoned
This might be my least favourite Helloween album, I don't know if I agree with the review but at least with the rating. The songs simply aren't enough appealing to me.
18.02.2010 - 20:42
Rating: 10
shisha

I think that metal storm staff members should not approved reviews like this one. This review is just absolutely wrong! It may misdirect a potential listeners of this, almost, masterpiece. Now I just can remember how much I have enjoyed this album. That joy I can't find in any music today! It is enough to mention this few ones Power, We Burn, Before The War, The Time Of The Oath, Wake Up The Mountain, Forever And One. Just beautiful album!
19.02.2010 - 13:57
Lord_Regnier

Written by Baz Anderson on 10.11.2006 at 18:29

i never made the connection between this album and the 'Keeper...' albums. i dont understand that at all

i think this is a great album and i am glad it was released..

also people that criticise Helloween always seem to make reference to how something that is suppose to be funny just isnt
and thats something that annoys me as well because i find everything funny that they want to be funny, either because i do find it funny - or because it is just stupid ('Heavy Metal Hamsters' for example)

but whatever. i would give this album nine out of ten

The connection is quite obvious, visually.
However, musically, this album can't match the Keepers. A few decent songs and lots of crap. That's all what it is.

Helloween have never been funny. Everytime they try, they only sound lame and make fools of themselves. But, well, I'm one of those who think humor has nothing to do with metal and should be kept out of it. I just find it stupid, not funny. In fact, there are things I find fucking retarded, taking into account that they 're coming from men over 30 year old.

Anyway, my opinion on Helloween is quite simple. They should have disbanded when Kai Hansen left. I remember how it was here during the early-mid 90s: this band was so shitty those who liked it were ashamed to admit it. Same for Iron Maiden, in fact. Both bands have been so pathetic during the 90s people who liked them were reluctant to admit it.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
19.02.2010 - 20:11
Baz Anderson

I posted that over three years ago...
19.02.2010 - 22:43
Lord_Regnier

Written by Baz Anderson on 19.02.2010 at 20:11

I posted that over three years ago...

So what? Makes no difference to me. I never check the dates when I quote posts.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
19.02.2010 - 23:49
Baz Anderson

I've not listened to this album for a long long time, but I would still say it is one of their best going on memory alone.

The whole humour in metal thing has been discussed before.
07.05.2010 - 11:37
Mountain King
K i K o
Best Helloween album with Andi Deris and my 3rd favorite Helloween album after the Keepers...
10.05.2010 - 19:05
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Written by Irritable Ted on 21.02.2010 at 16:16

This is the worst review I have read on Metalstorm, I know that everybody has their own opinion, but this is just so wrong its embarrassing.

Written by shisha on 18.02.2010 at 20:42

I think that metal storm staff members should not approved reviews like this one. This review is just absolutely wrong! It may misdirect a potential listeners of this, almost, masterpiece. Now I just can remember how much I have enjoyed this album. That joy I can't find in any music today! It is enough to mention this few ones Power, We Burn, Before The War, The Time Of The Oath, Wake Up The Mountain, Forever And One. Just beautiful album!

You guys must be crazy... not publishing a review just because it's ''wrong''. Maybe they shoudn't publish all the 10's and 9.9's and 9.8' that every guest review distribute to ALL Helloween albums.

This review is short but it explained very well the (many) bad points about this album. I completly agree with it.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
05.04.2011 - 18:41
themetalvoice

Time of the oath is great Album, in fact Helloween is getting better with Deris on vocals. Their last album 7 sinners is up there with keeper's one and two

Check out my review on 7 sinner 's

www.themetalvoice.com
06.04.2011 - 06:36
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Mountain King on 07.05.2010 at 11:37

Best Helloween album with Andi Deris and my 3rd favorite Helloween album after the Keepers...

I agree that it is the best Helloween album with Andi, although that would make it my 4th fave, seeing as my fave is "Walls Of Jericho", followed by the 2 Keepers.
06.04.2011 - 12:31
Mountain King
K i K o
Written by Angelic Storm on 06.04.2011 at 06:36

Written by Mountain King on 07.05.2010 at 11:37

I agree that it is the best Helloween album with Andi, although that would make it my 4th fave, seeing as my fave is "Walls Of Jericho", followed by the 2 Keepers.

Yeah i know Walls Of Jericho is an amazing debut for it's year but i personally don't like it that much. But i know most people adore it. It's one of the few albums i still don't own in expanded edition, i need to get it and listen to it again...
20.03.2012 - 18:37
( invisible )

Written by Irritable Ted on 21.02.2010 at 16:16

This is the worst review I have read on Metalstorm, I know that everybody has their own opinion, but this is just so wrong its embarrassing.

This is one of their strongest albums and is my favourite. Every track is perfect german power metal, a real return to from. Along with The Dark Ride this is Andi Deris' at his best.

100 % agreed. This is a pure shit review.

Review : Helloween worked very hard to "correct" their "mistakes", those mistakes being the less popular albums Pink Bubbles Go Ape and Chameleon.....
(invisible) : They did not correct anything from the past few issues, they just went back to the root of Power Metal.

Review : ...classic heavy metal tracks are found here in the Judas Priest vein like "We Burn" and "Kings Will Be Kings".....
(invisible) : I do not see even 10 % similarity with these two songs and Judas Priest's songs. These two song still very much Power Metal.

Review : ....They dig up the sound of the well known and loved Keepers albums, and play it to death. We get "epics" that go nowhere and a few sappy ballads with no emotion that seem forced and half assed. There is also a tongue in cheek number that is more embarrassing than humorous....
(invisible): This album is a lot of times better than Keeper I & II...., very smooth, well constructed, good directive. The vocalist's vocal is incredibly warm, in fact is more suitable to Helloween's music style than the previous lead vocal.

Review : ...The rest of the tracks are not really worth mentioning here. This is pretty much an album that should have never been released.....
(invisible) : I think this review is the one should have never been published....

Review : ....Take a look at the artwork. Does it look familiar ? It should because it is the same album cover to Keeper of the 7 Keys part 1, just modernized. This is basically what you are also getting in the music - a modernized version of an album that should not have had a sequel. How this album is considered to be their best, I will never know.
(invisible) : what's wrong with using the same mascot on the cover ?? I even can't differentiate Megadeth early releases.

The Time of The Oath deserves a Classic Album status. Frankly, too many disappointing previous issues making people overlooked this release, what a shame ! Keeper I & II are very experimental to me, too raw, pop and shallow.

The Time of The Oath (9)
Keeper I & II (6)

PS: I had never heard any vocalist can sing Electric Eyes...This guy did it !
PS II : Even the expanded edition Disc 2 (single b side ) all tracks are so good ! I never a H fan, but find this album so jaw dropping !
18.02.2013 - 22:28
Guib
Thrash Talker
Yeah so I just think this review does not give this album justice. I mean, to me it is definitely a classic... Its one of my favorite helloween release. I really don't get the 6. -_- And like most people here, I agree to each his opinion, but (''should have never been released) lol whut ? Dude I don't know what brought you down on this album, but did you actually listen to it properly ?
Also I don't see why people bash on Chameleon, this album is fucking great, I especially love the track ''Music''.
Oh and for the similarity with Judas Priest, you should've mentioned Steel Tormentor but clearly not Kings Will Be Kings and We Burn .. lol

Oh and ( Invisible ) don't push it, Keeper I & II are superior in my opinion, and even though they are not in yours ... 6 REALLY ? uh... whatever you're being just as stupid as this review lol.
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
09.02.2017 - 23:37
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I don't hear anything like classic tracks specially JP influenced. Cover songs don't counts as original and probably band re cordet, because they where afraid, it can be failure and want some classic covers to back album up
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 5796 | This month: 5