03. Legend Of Steel
04. Lord Of The Winter Snow
05. Princess Aurora
06. The Ancient Forest Of Elves
07. Throne Of Ice
08. Where Heroes Lie
09. Warrior's Pride
10. Kings Of The Nordic Twilight

An "artist" will usually take a break from his musical group to make a side project due to creative restrictions in the group. Luca Turilli is this "artist". After all he only writes all of Rhapsody's music and lyrics, besides the orchestration. King Of The Nordic Twilight was recorded after Symphony of Enchanted Lands was released to huge fanfare. Being a Rhapsody fan my expectations were pretty high for this album. You would think it would be something completely different and grand if he needed a creative departure. Instead you get a heavy dose of what seems like computer generated music. This album is made out of generic power metal formulas that would be used by Hammerfall, or Dragonforce even. The synths are used to generate your run-of-the-mill power metal atmosphere. The orchestration happens to take the same road. If you think that being the neoclassical virtuoso that Luca is, there would be some excellent guitar work normally not found in Rhapsody, think again. His guitar work is very watered down and his solos are half assed and uninspired.

The songs are driven by the usual epic power metal formula that plagues the later Rhapsody albums from "Dawn of Victory" on. This release is only a hint of Rhapsody's decline in quality. While I can't bother going through the track listing since all the songs suffer from the same nauseous repetition, "Lord of the Winter" is pretty interesting and I have certainly not heard anything else like this in power metal. With its techno-like synth lines carrying the song making it stand out, it still lacks anything to actually hold it together as an above-average quality song. Besides vocalist Olaf Hayer ripping off Michael Kiske from the Hello-keeper days to a perfect T, that happens to be the only positive thing that can be said about King of the Nordic Twilight. This shows that all Luca wanted to accomplish is to whore out his name, and stretch out his ego as he does his physic on stage during shows (so I hear). This has to be the worst melodic metal album since War to End All Wars by the original sweeping maestro himself. Now I know the absolute lowest point in music. I doubt anything in the future can be this bad or surprising, not even if Edguy frontman Tobias Sammet makes some kind of metal opera staring big names of the genre playing over the top of overplayed power metal?.oh wait?.

Written by Joey Jo Jo | 05.08.2005

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 17   Visited by: 229 users
09.11.2006 - 10:46
Talvi

It's strange being a Rhapsody fan you give the album so low rating. At least you will like Prophet of the Last Eclipse...
----
My account on other musical pages:
http://www.last.fm/user/Pozito/
http://rateyourmusic.com/~Talvi
23.08.2007 - 03:33
Joey Jo Jo
Piece of shit
I actually think the album has gotten much, much worse over time......
----
"If there hadn't been women we'd still be squatting in a cave eating raw meat, because we made civilization in order to impress our girl friends. And they tolerated it and let us go ahead and play with our toys."
- Orson Welles
18.10.2007 - 10:00
Rating: 10
Iced Dog

Fantastic album...better than most Rhapsody
----
20.10.2007 - 02:17
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Actually this albums is better than prpphet Of Teh Last Eclipse, but c',mon 1.0? LOL
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
10.02.2008 - 22:38
Stigma
Account deleted
The rating is.. Well, pretty low. But since I haven't heard the album, I won't judge you.
28.08.2008 - 02:50
Zeh

Well.. This album is not the Power Symphonic Metal Better Album Of The World, but It deserves more than a 1.. maybe 6 or 7.

Anyway, I laught when you compared Rhapsody with fanfarre.. Cool!!
----
Zeh
21.01.2009 - 15:49
Rating: 7
Morphis

Lol I agree with this review but i think the album itself is better that a 1.
27.09.2009 - 02:07
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Ok, i agree some people just dont like "cheesy" power metal...but even though they wont rate an album that low...

besides i think this album is fine...definitely best by Luca Turilli and somewhere about 8 from me
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

27.09.2009 - 19:35
Lord_Regnier

Imo, this album is better than POTLE. As for TIWOC and Dreamquest, I don't want to talk about them.

For the record, I think Rhapsody's albums until POTD (incl) were enjoyable.

However, even if they were enjoyable, there's something lots of people fail to realize. Rhapsody has always been, first and foremost, a studio trick. Lots of synthesizers, of fake orchestral instruments, of electronic sounds to try to hide that they have never been a great live band. Basically, Rhapsody is a mediocre metal band that adds lots of symphonic elements to draw the attention of the listener elsewhere, so he doesn't realize the PM they play behind the orchestrations is extremely generic.

This band didn't even play live in their early years.
The drums were made by a drum machine because Carbonera wasn't able to play the songs. And, even when Alex Holzwarth replaced him, most of the drums on the studio albums are still made by a drum machine they call "Thunderforce" on DOV and POTD. On the only albums where they used a real drummer in studio (SOEL II and TOA), the drums suck.
It always sounded a bit electronic and fake.
Luca Turilli doesn't play most of his solos live. They're played by Dominique Leurquin.
Also, lots of 'classical' parts have been borrowed (read plagiated here) elsewhere. Be it in old folk songs, from classical composers or from soundtracks.

You can like Rhapsody or not, it's your own choice and I don't mind. But don't kid yourself: those guys are not geniuses and haven't invented anything. All they did is to borrow from others and put those elements over very generic powermetal music, using lots of electronic devices to build up this well-wrapped studio trick.
And Turilli's solo releases are no different. On the opposite, it's only more glaring.

@Elrohir: About cheesiness, I want to say that I don't find Rhapsody's albums until POTD too cheesy. At least it never got on my nerves when I hear the songs. However, SOEL II and TOA are unbearably cheesy from my point of view.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
09.11.2009 - 23:01
EmeraldSword

My favorite Luca solo album. I agree mostly with this review, but I think the rating was overly harsh.
17.04.2010 - 00:01
DayFly

Written by Lord_Regnier on 27.09.2009 at 19:35

You are serious? For someone who spews hate over everything commercial and/or cheesy that seems inconsistent. Every song of theirs I have ever tried listening to is worse than the most wretched pieces of hair metal.
17.04.2010 - 16:18
Lord_Regnier

Written by DayFly on 17.04.2010 at 00:01

Written by Lord_Regnier on 27.09.2009 at 19:35

You are serious? For someone who spews hate over everything commercial and/or cheesy that seems inconsistent. Every song of theirs I have ever tried listening to is worse than the most wretched pieces of hair metal.

My statement cruelly lacked precision. I should have said I enjoyed the albums, moderately, years ago.
I haven't listened to Rhapsody for years now and I can't even understand how I could ever have liked this band, even only moderately. I have this feeling about the entire Powermetal genre.
I pretty much stopped listening to PM a decade ago.

Truth is when I hear a PM song I really liked in the 90s today, my reaction is "How was I able to listen to this crap, let alone like it?". It's a mystery to me because this music makes me cringe and wince now.

And if you read the rest of my post above, you can see it's far from praise.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
09.05.2011 - 01:07
Bolverk

Come on is not that bad... 1 is a bit low, lol
i would give it 7 or 8!
06.01.2012 - 18:19
mohammedMG

It's not that bad ,actually I enjoyed listening to it ,maybe it's your opinion but you shouldn't have given it that low rating I give it 8.
20.10.2012 - 04:53
LordHypnos
Account deleted
1?? Gimme a break... This album deserves at least a 7, there are no bad songs at all!
07.11.2013 - 20:01
Zap
Haven't listened to this album, but the score definitely doesn't match the review.
17.07.2017 - 13:51
Rating: 9
Valquirion

This album deserves an 8 at least seeing today's symphonic power metal...

Hits total: 7190 | This month: 13