Metal Storm logo
Similar genres to melodeath?

26.05.2012 - 17:30
Shinobi

Dark Tranquillity was the band that got me into metal and Ive been trying to find similar bands ever since. Im now a fan of melodeath bands like Amon Amarth, Mercenary, Insomnium, Kalmah, Mors Principium Est, Omnium Gatherum, Be'Lakor etc. But as far as I know the genre is basically dying with only a few bands that keep releasing great albums. Now, since I cant get enough of this music I'm trying to find similar genres. I dont really want to go to the heavier side (doom metal etc.) unless theres a 'melodic' twist to it. Its because I have tried getting into the heavy stuff but everything in that direction seems very generic and not pleasant to listen to me.
If it helps, I recently found out about Amorphis and Wintersun and I really enjoyed their work, even though it seemed a bit too light for me at times.
26.05.2012 - 17:37
Edmund Fogg

So you can browse the Melodic Metal section on this forum, use gnoosic with the bands you mentioned, search Bandcamp with different tags that interest you... It will be more rewarding then just ask like that.
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
26.05.2012 - 17:40
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
There's lots of melodic doom/death bands and such out there. Not really an area I know an awful lot about as I find it a little saccharine but try stuff like Rapture, Slumber, Daylight Dies, Novembers Doom etc.
27.05.2012 - 14:06
IronAngel

I'm not a big fan myself, but the whole "melodic black metal" thing used to be pretty big about a decade ago. (So yeah, not that many big active bands nowadays.) I imagine you'll like Dissection, Windir (them I love), Rotting Christ, Naglfar, Catamenia, why not Dimmu Borgir and Graveworm too (they'e more on the symphonic side). If you dig those, it should be easy to look for more.
27.05.2012 - 14:12
Uldreth

What Joe said basically, there are tons of doom bands that are more melancholic and melodic than oppressive and crushing.

Also before you write off melodeath, check out a little obscure band called Garden Of Shadows I found it was hard by to come by an album even via downloading due to its obscurity but eventually managed to and it's way better than anything I have ever heard from the genre.
28.05.2012 - 10:54
Mr. Blonde

Written by Shinobi on 26.05.2012 at 17:30

Dark Tranquillity was the band that got me into metal and Ive been trying to find similar bands ever since. Im now a fan of melodeath bands like Amon Amarth, Mercenary, Insomnium, Kalmah, Mors Principium Est, Omnium Gatherum, Be'Lakor etc. But as far as I know the genre is basically dying with only a few bands that keep releasing great albums. Now, since I cant get enough of this music I'm trying to find similar genres. I dont really want to go to the heavier side (doom metal etc.) unless theres a 'melodic' twist to it. Its because I have tried getting into the heavy stuff but everything in that direction seems very generic and not pleasant to listen to me.
If it helps, I recently found out about Amorphis and Wintersun and I really enjoyed their work, even though it seemed a bit too light for me at times.

No genre of music is ever dead as long as there are landmark albums that are still being listened to by fans.

Have you fully explored it's roots? If not then check out Heartwork by Carcass and Slaughter of the Soul by At the Gates. Also In the Forrest of the Dreaming Dead by Unanimated. Listening to these albums will give you a further appreciation for the origin of the sound.

Also, check out Katatonia. They have a variety of styles, none of which are melodeath at all. However, I like both them and Dark Tranquillity, I would imagine you might too for similar reasons.

You may also enjoy some progressive death style bands such as Cynic.
28.05.2012 - 14:55
Zealot644

Written by Shinobi on 26.05.2012 at 17:30

Hi there Shinobi. Let me see if I have something you like

Elysian - Wires of Creation
http://elysian.bandcamp.com/

The Black Dahlia Murder - either Ritual or Deflorate
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDEvqdw2fmA

Septic Flesh - The Great Mass (They're technically atmospheric death metal, but to say they dont have melody would be an insult)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BJqlcNX9dE or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM2eOuQyovs
28.05.2012 - 16:01
Timmeh
Dudeman
You could try out some sludge metal, bands like Ghost Brigade you should dig.
01.06.2012 - 01:34
moe5512

Ensiferum - Folk, melodic death, Wintersun -winterish melodic death prog, Catamenia - melodic black, Noumena - melodic death, Before the dawn - melodic death, myGrain - modern melodic death, Norther melodic death, Amorphis (older for melodic death, middle for prog, Newer for a mix ) Skyfire - melodic death
14.06.2012 - 07:27
GrayWiZZarD
Account deleted
Check out SCAR SYMMETRY one of the best in MELODEATH genre
14.06.2012 - 16:35
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Guest on 14.06.2012 at 07:27

OP is requesting similar genres, not bands.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
14.06.2012 - 19:52
GrayWiZZarD
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 14.06.2012 at 16:35

Written by Guest on 14.06.2012 at 07:27

OP is requesting similar genres, not bands.

It was just a suggestion....