Metal Storm logo
How anal are you when it comes to collecting a bands discography?

Original post

Posted by chronic-headache, 27.05.2012 - 19:35
Right now I', working on collecting the followings total discography
Blind Guardian
Anaal Nathrakh
Emperor
Borknagar
Therion
Iced Earth
Kamelot
Epica

For some (mostly my absolute favorites) I want to get ALL their releases and see how they progressed over the years (Blind Guardian is, IMO, a perfect example of this), however, some bands (Iced Earth's SOmething WIcked pt. 1 & 2) have released some real stinkers.
29.10.2013 - 03:55
chronic-headache

Just became interested in Septic Flesh. Loving what I hear off the last 3 albums, and am considering getting all of at once right now
30.10.2013 - 14:48
Jtbmetal123

Im trying to collect my absolute favorite bands discographies. I think after that, im not sure. i think I will still keep going.
14.11.2013 - 19:46
Wukk

I've never completed a discography (actually, that's a lie, I just collected Schaliach's entire one-album discography!), and I never really try to. That said, in some cases I've accidentally managed to acquire the majority of a band's discography and been tempted to finish the collection just for the sake of it.

The best example is Anathema. I first bought WHBWH in 2010 as a somewhat blind buy and absolutely loved it. Then later on, Peaceville were having a sale, so I bought The Silent Enigma and Eternity since I didn't know if I'd ever find them that cheaply again (I would; I was a bit naive though). I got Weather Systems when it came out because I really liked it. And recently, I found Judgement/AFDTE/A Natural Disaster all for £10, and I couldn't say no to that offer, especially for such excellent albums. So, without really trying, I've got 7 out of Anathema's 9 full-lengths and I almost want to get Serenades/Alternative 4 just to complete the set.
----
If you're 666 then I'm 777
http://www.last.fm/user/Joodicator
17.11.2013 - 03:18
DyingWorld

Not at all, I try to buy albums that won't collect dust. I'm very picky about what I buy, partly because I'm so broke.
17.11.2013 - 03:39
no one
Account deleted
Written by DyingWorld on 17.11.2013 at 03:18

Not at all, I try to buy albums that won't collect dust. I'm very picky about what I buy, partly because I'm so broke.

yeah i'm a bit like that now, i'm going to try and only collect vinyl that i think is very special to me. Not enough cash to just collect randomly to make up a discography
17.11.2013 - 15:23
ANGEL REAPER

The title still cracks me up ... ""How anal are you... "
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
17.11.2013 - 19:23
no one
Account deleted
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 17.11.2013 at 15:23

yeah i used to find the word "anal" funny, but it seems to be commonly used these days...or maybe i grew up, one or the other
17.11.2013 - 19:27
ANGEL REAPER

Written by Guest on 17.11.2013 at 19:23

yeah i used to find the word "anal" funny, but it seems to be commonly used these days...or maybe i grew up, one or the other

say the man who posted that abomination of comic in funny stuff thread
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
17.11.2013 - 19:33
no one
Account deleted
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 17.11.2013 at 19:27

Written by Guest on 17.11.2013 at 19:23

say the man who posted that abomination of comic in funny stuff thread

must have been the other then
27.11.2013 - 16:39
Ancient Dreams

If a band has one naff album in between a load of great ones, I tend to pick it up just to complete the collection. But if a band dies off musically (for instance I can't stand Metallica after Justice) then I just leave it at that.
13.12.2013 - 14:07
Skl3ros

Mainly I have every album from the bands that I started listening metal to simply because I could listen to the same band for months back then, so I was interested in everything I could find from a band I liked no matter how different their stuff was. not gonna state them here though since I'm kinda ashamed of those lol.
24.12.2013 - 21:24
DaveBarlow

I'm not anal but mainly because i'm a cheapskate

to be fair, If I was rich I probably would be anal about it
21.01.2014 - 15:17
Infernal Eternal

Written by Guest on 21.10.2013 at 19:42

Written by Infernal Eternal on 26.07.2013 at 11:13

This is what I do as well. For instance, I got the whole Amon Amarth discography, even The Crusher, which sucks.

I dare you to find the Scum demo...

Well, I own all the full lengths! Actually, I've searched for the demo and found a guy who wasn't willing to sell it...
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter
06.10.2014 - 04:34
Creativinity

Don't even get me started.

I hear 1 song that I like, and I immediately have to get all the albums of that band. It's like the best form of OCD.
06.10.2014 - 16:41
Enemy of Reality
Account deleted
When i started collecting music, if i heard a good album, i would eventually buy the rest of the discography. Nowadays i follow just a few bands more attentively, and others (most of them) not so much. As for newcomers, the internet gave me possibilty to listen to the band's discography before buying. If i really really like it i buy it. If not, there are a lot of bands out there who deserve attention. I also like to collect old stuff that i couldn't buy in my youth.
07.10.2014 - 08:34
Ganondox

Not very anal at all, as I can only get so much music, and I go for variety before going for repeats of an artist.
07.10.2014 - 20:19
Azarath
Free as a.. Fish
I'm in many ways a completist, so I do like to collect complete discographies of bands I like. I've been trying to cut back though.

Yeah, I'm quite anal.
08.10.2014 - 01:16
raveneffect

I'm anal with Pink Floyd since I've pre-ordered their upcoming album withouth listening to a thing, but this only shows my total faith in the band
22.10.2014 - 18:31
EntombedRainfall

Eh, I usually only care about studio albums and, on occassion, EPs as well if they consist of wholly new, unreleased material (In Flames' Subterranean, for instance). I don't really like singles, live albums, EPs with one original cut and five other throwaway tracks, cover albums and so on and so forth (although there are some exceptions, of course). Bonus tracks can get irritating once in a while but they can also be beneficial if they are good original pieces recorded during their respective album's sessions.
08.03.2016 - 20:46
Enteroctopus

Written by M C Vice on 29.10.2013 at 03:38

For about a week I had every Motorhead album. Then the new one came out.

That shouldn't be a problem for you anymore.

I'm not really into discographies except for the titans of metal: Ozzy, Vintersorg, Opeth - I even have the proggy new Opeths just because.

Kinda wish I didn't have Amon Amarth's "The Crusher" or any recent Soilwork. Would rather have my money back, frankly.
09.03.2016 - 13:31
Jtbmetal123

Im borderline obsessed about discographies. So far I have all Metallica, Slipknot, Mudvayne and Six feet Under. They were my favorite bands growing up.
30.03.2016 - 01:19
@gent_-_orange

When I was younger I was a total completionist who had to own everything an artist put out, even albums that where considered shitty, didn't take me long to realise I was pissing my money away.
13.04.2016 - 22:13
Enteroctopus

Sad to say I find myself almost pathologically obsessed with purchasing any new Metallica material. It's kind of like when your friend tells you a dog got smashed up on the highway when you're a kid and you can't think of anything else until you get on your bike and go check it out. That's pretty much it, and only out of morbid curiosity.

If I had a testicle removed because it was diseased I would want to see that, too. That's about how much I like Metallica now. Slightly less than my own fictional diseased testi.
15.09.2016 - 03:54
__Mailman

The only thing I worry about when it comes to collecting is the album cover. It MUST be the original album cover for me. Some deluxe editions have altered or altogether different covers. I must have the original album covers.
18.10.2016 - 06:49
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 21.01.2013 at 03:32

go for the Agathocles disco http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Agathocles/2649 if you want a challenge of owning everything

Btw I actually know two people who are complete in that respect,

Must be the people in the band itself. No offense to band or their music, which I am not aware of tbh but that levels seems completely unncessary atleast to me.

Sabbat's catalog is the only one other I can think of that comes close to that.
24.10.2016 - 04:41
DoomGuild
Account deleted
Complete discographies for me. I'll go a little crazy without them all.