04. Grinder
05. United
06. You Don't Have To Be Old To Be Wise
07. Living After Midnight
08. The Rage
09. Steeler
10. Red, White & Blue [2001 re-release bonus]
11. Grinder [Live at Long Beach Arena, 5 May 1984] [2001 re-release bonus]

Disc II [CD] [Live at the Seminole Hard Rock Arena][30th Anniversary Edition bonus]
01. Rapid Fire
02. Metal Gods
03. Breaking The Law
04. Grinder
05. United
08. The Rage
09. Steeler
10. The Ripper
11. Hell Patrol
12. Victim Of Changes
13. Freewheel Burning
14. Diamonds & Rust [Joan Baez cover]
15. You've Got Another Thing Coming

Disc III [DVD] [Live at the Seminole Hard Rock Arena][30th Anniversary Edition bonus]
01. Rapid Fire
02. Metal Gods
03. Breaking The Law
04. Grinder
05. United
08. The Rage
09. Steeler
10. The Ripper
11. The Prophecy
12. Hell Patrol
13. Victim Of Changes
14. Freewheel Burning
15. Diamonds & Rust [Joan Baez cover]
16. You've Got Another Thing Coming
+ Interview: The Making Of British Steel [bonus]

Obviously not the best start into the 80's is this Judas Priest album, although it contains some of the bands classics such as 'Metal Gods', 'Breaking The Law' and 'Living After Midnight', but even these songs have seen better times especially as on stage performances.

Nearly all songs on 'British Steel' fail to bring up the metal feeling that the 70's stuff did. The faster the songs the poorer they are, maybe Priest were still tired of their world tour when they recorded this album saying: hey let's make something slower.You can consider it better looking at it as a rock album (with slight american influences regarding the style, which is really irony of fate when you look at the title) than as a metal album. As a rock album it is fun listening, but not at all times, you should at least be in the mood!
Certainly the band has produced better albums, but if you want to collect all the Judas Priest albums you get at least some classics. The 70's sound has not changed yet, but it will in the following years. At this point let me just mention 'Screaming For Vengeance' from 1982 which is kind of a milestone in metal history. The two bonus tracks do not count for rating this album up, because one of them is a live version of the original material and the other is a very cheesy hymn really bad, no it's awful.

I don't know because back in 1980 I was just one year old, but if this album sold well, then only because it's so damn mainstream... or at least because of the band's success in the late seventies. There is no point liking it more than it deserves and it does not deserve too much.

Written by Pierre Tombale | 16.11.2003

Comments page 2 / 3

Comments: 63   Visited by: 274 users
09.11.2009 - 21:39
JohnDoe
Account deleted
The album is JP's most famous album along with Painkiller. The album is overappreciated, I agree. But still 5 is too low as a rating. Maybe a bit more like 7, or 7.5. The album is not bad, JP tried to make a wider audience and I think they succeeded.

Anyway, my favourite JP albums are those from the 70s. Compared to the 70s, British Steel is pretty weak.
27.11.2009 - 19:08
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Arian Totalis on 10.11.2006 at 01:58

I disagree completely with the reviewer, I don't know what the hell kind of shrooms he ate, but Brittish Steel kicks Mucho Ass.

damn straight! this album awesome
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
28.11.2009 - 14:37
Lord_Regnier
"I don't know because back in 1980 I was just one year old, but if this album sold well, then only because it's so damn mainstream..."

There's another reason as to why some old metal albums sold well and have been rated highly, even if they pale in comparison when you put them besides more recent (90s onwards) metal albums.
Some albums in the early to mid 80s have been popular simply because we didn't have better back then. Metal wasn't evolved like today and lots of genres we have now barely existed at that time.
Many albums that are considered as classics would go totally unnoticed if they'd be released now.
An album like "British Steel" sounds extremely outdated today.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
04.12.2009 - 05:35
SatyriconChick
^ I disagree that it sounds outdated today. As I said in my previous post, "Grinder" is a really cheesy song... But I think the majority of songs on this album, most notably "United," "Living After Midnight," "Breaking the Law" and "Metal Gods" sound still very fresh to this day and can get any true metalhead banging their heads.
04.12.2009 - 06:46
Rating: 7
Derwood
Written by SatyriconChick on 04.12.2009 at 05:35

... But I think the majority of songs on this album, most notably "United" ... sound still very fresh to this day and can get any true metalhead banging their heads.

Wow, there are actually people who like "United"? Compared to that moldy old bit of slimy blue cheese, "Grinder" is downright kvlt.

Easily the most overrated album in the mighty Judas Priest catalog, but not their worst. Way better than Turbo, slightly better than Point of Entry or Rocka Rolla. It's pretty mediocre, especially by JP standards.
----
You can't fight evil with a macaroni duck!
04.12.2009 - 17:52
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Derwood on 04.12.2009 at 06:46

Written by SatyriconChick on 04.12.2009 at 05:35

... But I think the majority of songs on this album, most notably "United" ... sound still very fresh to this day and can get any true metalhead banging their heads.

Wow, there are actually people who like "United"? Compared to that moldy old bit of slimy blue cheese, "Grinder" is downright kvlt.

I was just rubbing my eyes in total disbelief when I read her statement on "United"
Even all football/soccer clubs would be ashamed if they had an anthem such as that.

And yes British Steel is their most overrated, but not their worst. It is still better than Ram It Down and Turbo and Nostradamus (actually all their stuff after Painkiller) And nope the songs except for one or two don't sound fresh anymore. Totally outdated most of the stuff on this album.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

03.12.2010 - 07:05
JÄY
Metal slave
Yes, the rot began on the previous album, continued with this release and matured on point of entry...then they got their shit together!
05.12.2010 - 03:14
RavenKing
Written by Nicko's Nose on 18.06.2008 at 06:02

The songs are so ridiculously simple

It has always been my opinion about this album. If you compare it to their 70s stuff, it feels dumbed down quite a bit.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
05.12.2010 - 05:20
Rating: 9
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Hmm, interesting discussion about this album! lol xD

5.0 is definitely far lower than what I would give it, although Ive always seen "British Steel" as Priest's most overrated album. Most of the songs are enjoyable, And "Rapid Fire", "Metal Gods", "Grinder" and "Breaking The Law" are some of my fave Priest songs. Rightly regarded as classics, if you ask me. But something like say "Living After Midnight" isnt a bad song at all, but it hardly compares to the sheer metal majesty of earlier classics like "Tyrant", "The Ripper", "Sinner", or "Exciter".

I also find most of the albums after "British Steel" to be better than it. "Defenders Of The Faith", "Screaming For Vengeance", "Painkiller"... are all albums I prefer over it, and most of the others run it very close or are equal with it. Id probably give it a 7.5/8 rating. Its a good a album, and I enjoy a lot of it, but its definitely not the apex of Priest, (at least not in my eyes,) that many seem to claim it to be.
05.03.2011 - 01:31
John Shock
Hey, is this album that bad as people are saying around? I want a opinion of someone,... if i'll buy it or not! Well, in one way, almost professional reviews, unless Metal Storm gave the album almost maximum score or even the maximum, but in the other hand i read here on Metal Storm about the same album and many of these guys think badly about this album! My neighbour says this album is a big peace of metal!
Ok, someone help me, i'm confused...in this case, the professionals are right or the fans and listeners are right? (or in the other hand my neighbour is right? )
05.03.2011 - 01:39
John Shock
Written by Guest on 12.11.2006 at 14:53

Written by Valentin B on 12.11.2006 at 14:07

hey, it sold copies but at least it was good at some points
btw have you never wondered why a band is liked 80-90% by people of a certain gender?(ex. judas priest, iron maiden, slayer for guys and nightwish, within temptation and <insert goth band here> for girls)

Within temtation and Nightwish aint goth.

Hey men, sorry to disagree with you in one thing, not every women likes gothic Metal like you said, it goes with everyone's minds (if you understand what i'm saying), Well, here in portugal i'd pray for one day meet a girl, that really enjoys "metal"I will say you something, i have classmates that almost puke to hear metal, but i can't do nothing about it 'cause in this country a few number of population enjoys metal, and that few number, only 1/4 (+/-) likes really metal(and i mean really metal (not plastic metal)!
06.03.2011 - 13:25
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by John Shock on 05.03.2011 at 01:31

Hey, is this album that bad as people are saying around? I want a opinion of someone,... if i'll buy it or not! Well, in one way, almost professional reviews, unless Metal Storm gave the album almost maximum score or even the maximum, but in the other hand i read here on Metal Storm about the same album and many of these guys think badly about this album! My neighbour says this album is a big peace of metal!
Ok, someone help me, i'm confused...in this case, the professionals are right or the fans and listeners are right? (or in the other hand my neighbour is right? )

It isn't a bad album, far from it! I just think it's a little bit overrated in Priest's catalogue. There are some really great songs on it, and I'd certainly recommend it to any fan of old school heavy metal. Oh, and you should NEVER base your album purchases on the basis of album reviews, professional or otherwise. It's only ever one person's opinion. xD

And you're right, not every female metal fan likes bands like Nightwish and Within Temptation. I for one can't stand those types of bands.
07.03.2011 - 21:56
John Shock
Written by Angelic Storm on 06.03.2011 at 13:25

Written by John Shock on 05.03.2011 at 01:31

It isn't a bad album, far from it! I just think it's a little bit overrated in Priest's catalogue. There are some really great songs on it, and I'd certainly recommend it to any fan of old school heavy metal. Oh, and you should NEVER base your album purchases on the basis of album reviews, professional or otherwise. It's only ever one person's opinion. xD

And you're right, not every female metal fan likes bands like Nightwish and Within Temptation. I for one can't stand those types of bands.

Oh, then tell me what bands you like! I'm curious about it!
15.03.2011 - 08:51
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Why do people keep baging Point Of Entry?
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
15.03.2011 - 10:54
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by M C Vice on 15.03.2011 at 08:51

because it's average at best?
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.03.2011 - 13:15
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 15.03.2011 at 10:54

Written by M C Vice on 15.03.2011 at 08:51

because it's average at best?

But it's got Heading out to the Highway and Desert Plains
It's better than British Steele.
They're the same as Turbo and Ram It Down, they have a couple of great songs on them, but lack the consistency of Sad Wings Of Destiny and Painkiller.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
28.05.2011 - 03:38
Rating: 8
godisdead
Deserves much more than a five he is being way too harsh. I love this album and thsi is what got me into judas priest.
17.07.2011 - 22:07
Mattybu
Good review. There's really not much special about this album aside from one, maybe two songs, and even those, Judas Priest have done much better. I'd give it about a 6.
02.11.2011 - 23:28
Pennywise213
Account deleted
Thans for having the balls to call a shity album shity, even you know you will be called crazy. British Steal is the most overrated lame metal album in history.
23.11.2011 - 00:08
MrSubmarine
5 is a bit of a harsh rating, but I do agree that this album was a huge step down from the quality of it's predecessors. My favourite 'commercial' Priest album has to be 'Killing Machine', as it's far less shamelessly pop-py, with the exception of 'Take on the World'. I would give this album a 7, or maybe 8 for it's historical significance. I may be in the minority, but I never really cared for the majority of their output from the 80s.
23.11.2011 - 00:09
MrSubmarine
5 is a bit of a harsh rating, but I do agree that this album was a huge step down from the quality of it's predecessors. My favourite 'commercial' Priest album has to be 'Killing Machine', as it's far less shamelessly pop-py, with the exception of 'Take on the World'. I would give this album a 7, or maybe 8 for it's historical significance. I may be in the minority, but I never really cared for the majority of their output from the 80s.
23.11.2011 - 00:12
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
5 isn't harsh. :/ 5 by MS standards means "not good", and this is not a good album. The rating is totally appropriate.

Probably the shortest review of a Priest album I've ever read though. Considering how much there is to say, I'm surprised at the brevity.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
20.12.2011 - 22:32
Rating: 8
Martin_metal
5 is to low rating... I think it´s way better then that.. Not their best, but far away from there worst.
04.01.2012 - 03:21
Sentinel65
What a shitty review...this will be remembered (by many) to be Priest's classic album, and that is what it is. Most definitely not their best work, but still a very good album, a lot of anthems on this album.
01.02.2012 - 01:18
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Elite
I do agree that this album is terribly overrated, and does fail to match up with their 70s stuff, but still... a 7 at most.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
29.09.2012 - 00:05
afu
Commercial, not commercial, best or less than best, this album is awesome and who gives a shit as long as the songs are good.
06.02.2013 - 22:21
Cream
Account deleted
Mind numbling overrated trash.
21.05.2013 - 23:06
Rating: 6
Iron Nostarion
Maiden Whore
The most overrated album in the history of heavy metal.
----
To their tombs the people are immured,
There is their gold, treasure and wealth,
The only condition is to ignore them,
Those who feed on corruption and weave death
21.05.2013 - 23:56
Rating: 5
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Iron Nostarion on 21.05.2013 at 23:06

At least one of them. I've never understood what's good about it.
----
22.05.2013 - 00:15
Rating: 6
Iron Nostarion
Maiden Whore
Written by Warman on 21.05.2013 at 23:56

Written by Iron Nostarion on 21.05.2013 at 23:06

At least one of them. I've never understood what's good about it.

It's got some catchiness and coverable songs but its simplistic attitude kills me. The production is pure shit, too. It bores me out of my head by track three. Was really an effort to listen to it after a recommendation, and considering albums like STAINED CLASS earlier in the discography, there's not even an excuse for them to be this simple in a 'retro Sabbath/Zeppelin' way.
----
To their tombs the people are immured,
There is their gold, treasure and wealth,
The only condition is to ignore them,
Those who feed on corruption and weave death

Hits total: 10683 | This month: 28