04. Circle Of Light
05. Thin Red Line
06. Ministry Of Fools
07. The Preacher
08. Bloodletter
09. Cut Out The Disease
10. Absent Friends
11. All Hell Breaking Loose

I've been spinning this album quite a bit lately, after owning it for a long time and never giving it the attention it deserves. The album is a little mix of heavy metal and material more at the border of hard rock and heavy metal. Saxon started to build a more aggressive, harder sound in the '90's after their more commercial sounding late '80's albums and with Dogs Of War this was most evident. Again they took another step in the harder direction with Unleash The Beast, and I think they hit it right on with this album.

Doug Scarrat made his debut with the band on this album, replacing original member Graham Oliver on guitar, and although it is always sad when an original member goes, Doug fit in perfectly and injected a freshness to the Saxon sound. This album presents a band in top shape, with very competent playing and a very professional and entertaining songwriting, losing the corny subject matter representation of the last few albums. The major highlights of this album are the excellent guitar melodies, extremely well done and catchy as hell. Biff Byford has never sounded better. Thumbs up for the producer Kalle Trapp, who did an amazing job here, as every instrument is easy audible and gets the opportunity to shine. It's hard to choose the best song on this album but my highest praise goes to ''Terminal Velocity'', ''Absent Friends'' and ''All Hell Breaks Loose''. You know, there aren't many bands left in the world that play to this calibre. The album has a great dark gothic picture on the cover, and mirrors it perfectly.

Unleash The Beast kept traditional metal alive. It was a wake-up call for old bands and an encouraging light for new bands to join together and pull heavy metal out of the darkness into which it fell in the early and mid '90s. So, in the end, should you get this album? That's a silly question, isn't it... Go to the CD shop, you will not be disappointed.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 8
Production: 10

Written by nicaZe | 29.05.2012

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 5   Visited by: 53 users
30.05.2012 - 05:29
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
I feel kinda silly to say it, but this is actually one Saxon release I've never gotten around to listening to. I've listened to their classic 80s stuff, of course, and their more recent material, but never really any of the stuff in the middle. You're review convinced me though, I'll definitely give it a peek when I get the chance
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
30.05.2012 - 12:53
nicaZe
Savatage
Written by Auntie Sahar on 30.05.2012 at 05:29

I feel kinda silly to say it, but this is actually one Saxon release I've never gotten around to listening to. I've listened to their classic 80s stuff, of course, and their more recent material, but never really any of the stuff in the middle. You're review convinced me though, I'll definitely give it a peek when I get the chance

My favorite albums are also from 80s but this one is so good and need to be listened, when you give this album a chance contact me and say what you think
30.05.2012 - 17:12
Rating: 10
R'Vannith
ghedengi
I have many fond memories of this album and it will always be one of my favs and I prefer it even over Saxon's older material. Many tracks I would count among the best I've heard, especially 'Ministry of Fools.' Good review btw, its definitely an album that deserves one on here.
30.05.2012 - 17:43
nicaZe
Savatage
Written by R'Vannith on 30.05.2012 at 17:12

I have many fond memories of this album and it will always be one of my favs and I prefer it even over Saxon's older material. Many tracks I would count among the best I've heard, especially 'Ministry of Fools.' Good review btw, its definitely an album that deserves one on here.

Thanks man
02.02.2017 - 17:31
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Auntie Sahar on 30.05.2012 at 05:29

you didn't miss much , more ppl like if you like just HM and be like trOO HM, you will overate this album and any other HM album ... if you like genres you can dig true
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 5219 | This month: 14