Metal Storm logo
Candlemass - Part Ways With Vocalist, Replacement Announced

Swedish doom metallers Candlemass have parted ways with vocalist Robert Lowe. The band released the following statement on the changes: "We are sorry to inform you that Robert Lowe is no longer the singer for Candlemass. It has been a very difficult decision for the band and has mainly to do with the quality of the live performances."

"For the upcoming shows Robert will be replaced with Mats Levén, longtime friend of the band. We are convinced this will work out just great. The band is currently rehearsing new and old songs with Mats and we know that nobody attending the gigs at Debaser Slussen, Metaltown, Borås or Southern Discomfort will be disappointed. Bring your earplugs... it will be hard, massive and loud! Keyboard player Per Wiberg is also joining Candlemass onstage for the live shows. Psalms for the dead... nothing else remains!"

Source: candlemass.se
Band profile: Candlemass
Posted: 02.06.2012 by Abattoir

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 20   Visited by: 240 users
02.06.2012 - 20:45
Arcticus

Wow...ex-Therion and Opeth members, can't really go wrong there
02.06.2012 - 21:03
Azoic
Account deleted
Preparing for the final gigs before putting down the instruments. Vocalist leaves the band. Nice.
02.06.2012 - 21:13
BlueMobius
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 02.06.2012 at 21:03

Preparing for the final gigs before putting down the instruments. Vocalist leaves the band. Nice.

Sounds more like they kicked him out.
02.06.2012 - 21:21
Azoic
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 02.06.2012 at 21:13
Sounds more like they kicked him out.

Missed the last sentence of the first paragraph, hahah. Oops!
02.06.2012 - 21:27
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
No disrespect against Lowe, he's an amazing vocalist, but I never really think his higher vocal range fit Candlemass (who have had a history of singers with deeper baritone vocals) to begin with. Curious to see who they come up with in his place.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
02.06.2012 - 21:34
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
I understand, specially considering the live performances. He wasn't that bad when I saw him at roadburn but still... Quite unproffesional in a couple of things.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
02.06.2012 - 23:22
exomorphyx89

Written by Auntie Sahar on 02.06.2012 at 21:27

No disrespect against Lowe, he's an amazing vocalist, but I never really think his higher vocal range fit Candlemass (who have had a history of singers with deeper baritone vocals) to begin with. Curious to see who they come up with in his place.

Totally agree... Lowe is a great vocalist but NOT for Candlemass!
----
"Bang you head against the stage and metal takes its place..."
03.06.2012 - 00:28
Cathval

I think this is a massive mistake on their part. Candlemass was extremely lackluster with Messiah as the singer. He sounded too cheery and upbeat to sing a catalog which is mean to be dark, foreboding, sinister, and have this particular atmosphere to it.

Sad. Rob Lowe's voice fits Candlemass perfectly. The "Ashes to Ashes" DVD blew me away. Feels like another Tim Owens moment with this one. Good thing we received two good albums out of them. If only they re-recorded the previous albums I'd find them listenable.

This band is one of those rare instances when the newer vocalist actually out-performed the original which they became famous for.
03.06.2012 - 01:03
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Vocalist discussions are useless when Johan Längqvist owns them all.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
03.06.2012 - 01:24
DeathSlyzer

Written by Cathval on 03.06.2012 at 00:28

I think this is a massive mistake on their part. Candlemass was extremely lackluster with Messiah as the singer. He sounded too cheery and upbeat to sing a catalog which is mean to be dark, foreboding, sinister, and have this particular atmosphere to it.

Sad. Rob Lowe's voice fits Candlemass perfectly. The "Ashes to Ashes" DVD blew me away. Feels like another Tim Owens moment with this one. Good thing we received two good albums out of them. If only they re-recorded the previous albums I'd find them listenable.

This band is one of those rare instances when the newer vocalist actually out-performed the original which they became famous for.

I couldn't agree more. I'm sure there must be something wrong with me for not liking Messiah, but I just don't, and I really enjoyed Lowe's work with them. This was very sad news.
----
I sold my soul to any fool who'd buy it!
What's it gonna take to make you riot!?
03.06.2012 - 05:00
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
So, which singer will be on the new album? Had they already finished it?
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
03.06.2012 - 06:26
NocturnalStalker
Metal Addict
Written by M C Vice on 03.06.2012 at 05:00

So, which singer will be on the new album? Had they already finished it?

Lowe sang on the new album. It'll be released in June.

As for his departure... He's a good vocalist and two previous albums with him was good but he clearly has a weaker voice than Messiah, which was evident when I watched their live performances with him.
Now I hope he will have time to record a new Solitude Aeturnus album.
----
"And we are not who we think we are
We are who we're afraid to be"
- Lux Occulta "The Opening of Eleventh Sephirah"
04.06.2012 - 17:39
Enemy of Reality
Account deleted
About time!! Rob's work on the studio is great, but live he just stinks! Mats Leven is a awesome singer i think it will work out very well! Now it's time to come back to Portugal with Mats and of course Leif who was sick and missed his first gig here!
04.06.2012 - 22:00
Bloody Rain
I Am The Night
Written by NocturnalStalker on 03.06.2012 at 06:26

Now I hope he will have time to record a new Solitude Aeturnus album.

My thoughts exactly!
05.06.2012 - 06:16
bran

Sucks loved lowe in candlemass hope he goes and makes a new kicks ass solitude aeturnus album
----
top 5 albums of 2012 so far.

1. wintersun- time I
2. woods of ypres- woods V grey skies and electric light
3. agalloch- faustian echoes EP
4. the slow death- II
5. kreator- phantom antichrist
05.06.2012 - 14:02
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 02.06.2012 at 21:03

They are not preparing for the final gigs. They won't be releasing albums anymore but will still be performing live. That's what Leif said in an interview in the latest edition of Aardschok
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

05.06.2012 - 19:21
Azoic
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 05.06.2012 at 14:02
They are not preparing for the final gigs. They won't be releasing albums anymore but will still be performing live. That's what Leif said in an interview in the latest edition of Aardschok

Ah, my bad.
06.06.2012 - 17:25
Passenger
Lost To Apathy
Lowe is a brilliant vocalist. I enjoy both his and Messiah's styles. Different, but I can't imagine their albums with Candlemass without them. I understand the reasons for this and just hope the new guy will be in the same level (which I already know he will be and you all should listen to Krux to know that too).
----
You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it in the streets. You do it at home. The rest is bullshit and you know it ~ Mean Streets
09.06.2012 - 12:54
IronAngel

Sure sounds good. Video found through Doommantia:
14.06.2012 - 21:41
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
Part ways with vocalist... again. Oh well, I did not enjoy their latest album that much, too cheerful for their style, but I think they will find someone good for their line-up, I mean, they always find someone who fits in their music, and Mats Leven and Per Wiberg are nice live additions, if only they could come to Mexico City some day.
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"

Hits total: 4191 | This month: 8