Metal Storm logo
Astral Projection

02.06.2012 - 22:39
Oaken
Hipster
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astral_projection
A few days ago, while lurking on the internet, I discovered a new concept called "Astral Projection". The name was really interesting so I looked it up in Wikipedia, but I didn't really believe anything at first. After that, while reading "Lords Of Chaos" (The BM book), I stumbled upon the same thing twice. Mayhem's Dead mentioned it and he said that he experienced it, so I started searching if it were real or not. A lot of people on the internet claimed it was, and that they had experienced it, while many others, who adapt a scientific look on life, denied it. I actually have no idea if this is real or not right now, but I really would like to have more insight on this. Even though such matters seem "fantastic" and "fairy-tale-like", I'm really intrigued you by them. Currently, I have no opinion on Astral Projection. I'm totally confused about this thing.
So:
What is your opinion on Astral Projection (Astral Planes, Out-Of-Body Experiences)?
Do you think that some occult concepts like Astral Projection are real?
Do you have a general idea about Esotericism/Occultism and if yes what are some of this philosophy's ideas?
Let's commence this discussion.
And yes, Xasthur's Malefic writes about something like that.
----
In that case, man is only air as well.
02.06.2012 - 22:59
Nosurper
Stinky Lips
Watch Insidious, it's not that great but it deals with astral projection
----
02.06.2012 - 23:00
FOOCK Nam

Never experienced it, so I dont have any thought that if it is real or not. I only passed through few times very weird but positive sleeping dream. It was quite mellow dream. Have you ever thought if after being passed out or in delirium that would it happen ? Sleeping can be different with delirium. Ever passed out once though I dont remember any strange feeling if it was.

I guess Astral Projection here is more positive or good touch experiencing, could be like some sleeping dreams. While sleeping dreams includes both of bad and good, like nightmare and sweet dream...
02.06.2012 - 23:04
Oaken
Hipster
Written by Nosurper on 02.06.2012 at 22:59

Watch Insidious, it's not that great but it deals with astral projection

I'll take the recommendation. Thanks!!
Written by FOOCK Nam on 02.06.2012 at 23:00

I guess Astral Projection here is more positive or good touch experiencing.

Not exactly. I've read that when you Astral project you have a silver like rope that attaches the astral body with you physical body, and that if you try to access far planes, the rope gets cut and you die. Funny, but might be true
----
03.06.2012 - 20:27
YureiYumi
Account deleted
The silver chord thing is true, although i havent seen it while projecting, i would rather not risk and believe it.

My first experience, i was only 15 and i didnt do it on purpose. i didnt plan it.
i was laying down belly up but i was belly down when it happened.. i was hovering. I tried to come back to my body but i couldnt. i was unable to move my phisical body, i was very much awake though. i saw my brother in the bedroom asleep with his wife, and then there was a tunnel entrance in the wall of the bedroom. i walked in and there was a dwarf at the entrance with a sign in his hand, and he said i wasnt allowed to go in. I did. it was just a tunnel made of stone and stuff...
I arrived in a dark area, completely empty, except for 4 gates, one was blue, another purple, another white and the other was pink.
There was a guardian at each gate, the guardians were as tall as the gates and they had dark hoods on, and they asked me questions which i couldnt answer, therefore i wasnt ready to go into any of the gates. i tried to go through but a force sent me back into my body. As it was the first time, i was really frightened because i thought i had died and i wondered if i was gonna be stuck in there forever.

My second experience was in my brothers house as well, and the same happened, except this time i got out into the balcony and there was a man outside, he was really frightening and i couldnt move my ethereal body either. he just held me in fear for a few moments. then i saw an eye in the sky. a giant eye looking down at us. and thats about it.

Another interesting thing is that while i had AP, my ears were buzzing all the time
I would like to practice and do it at will, but i fear certain things, ie: how far is too far with the silver chord.
03.06.2012 - 21:23
Oaken
Hipster
Written by Guest on 03.06.2012 at 20:27

The silver chord thing is true, although i havent seen it while projecting, i would rather not risk and believe it.

My first experience, i was only 15 and i didnt do it on purpose. i didnt plan it.
i was laying down belly up but i was belly down when it happened.. i was hovering. I tried to come back to my body but i couldnt. i was unable to move my phisical body, i was very much awake though. i saw my brother in the bedroom asleep with his wife, and then there was a tunnel entrance in the wall of the bedroom. i walked in and there was a dwarf at the entrance with a sign in his hand, and he said i wasnt allowed to go in. I did. it was just a tunnel made of stone and stuff...
I arrived in a dark area, completely empty, except for 4 gates, one was blue, another purple, another white and the other was pink.
There was a guardian at each gate, the guardians were as tall as the gates and they had dark hoods on, and they asked me questions which i couldnt answer, therefore i wasnt ready to go into any of the gates. i tried to go through but a force sent me back into my body. As it was the first time, i was really frightened because i thought i had died and i wondered if i was gonna be stuck in there forever.

My second experience was in my brothers house as well, and the same happened, except this time i got out into the balcony and there was a man outside, he was really frightening and i couldnt move my ethereal body either. he just held me in fear for a few moments. then i saw an eye in the sky. a giant eye looking down at us. and thats about it.

Another interesting thing is that while i had AP, my ears were buzzing all the time
I would like to practice and do it at will, but i fear certain things, ie: how far is too far with the silver chord.

Wow, that's quite a fascinating story. I wouldn't like to experience it TBH, it's really dangerous, scary and I wouldn't go speaking of it to others.. And the fact that it happened TWICE in your brother's house. There must be something to do with that place. That's an enticing tale.
So, do you dabble in esotericism/occult? I guess if you do, then that must be part of the reason.
----
04.06.2012 - 04:30
YureiYumi
Account deleted
To me it was scary.. I only talk about it because it was such a long time ago, but im still very supersticious ahah
I know some people who do it for knowledge... they think they can learn things while out there.

I work a bit with the occult, because ive been practicing chaos magic for a few years now. I also meditate a bit. I used to do black magic but now im grown up and i dont think its good to modify people just for fun:maniac:
In my opinion I think astral projection should not be taken lightly.

But If one day you to try it i suggest you not go into it while depressed or upset. although i dont practice AP i know that this is true for all mind stuff. In the occult world depression is a no-no, it can be debilitating.
you should clear your head of any bad thoughts/feelings first, to avoid getting influenced by bad things out there. This can be achieved through meditation. Also whatever you see there, do not interfere with it unless you feel sure about it. Then later try to make contact with the entities, just as long as you do not upset them. I think you will be safe if you are just taking a look around.
05.06.2012 - 14:51
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Hmmm interesting. I suppose this would be possible, as you do have out of body experiences when on hallucinogenics. I have never had an OBE though.
I'm guessing you would still need a stimulant to enter this state.
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
06.06.2012 - 18:30
YureiYumi
Account deleted
Possibly, a bit like shamans do:D
06.06.2012 - 20:58
Oaken
Hipster
Written by Guest on 04.06.2012 at 04:30

I work a bit with the occult, because ive been practicing chaos magic for a few years now. I also meditate a bit. I used to do black magic but now im grown up and i dont think its good to modify people just for fun:maniac:

IMO that's the reason. Black magic brings ill-fate upon its doers.
And personally I'd never try something like that.
----
07.06.2012 - 02:27
InnerSelf
proofread free
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
07.06.2012 - 06:54
YureiYumi
Account deleted
Written by Oaken on 06.06.2012 at 20:58

Written by Guest on 04.06.2012 at 04:30

IMO that's the reason. Black magic brings ill-fate upon its doers.
And personally I'd never try something like that.

I was 15 when the AP happened, and i never did any sort of craft until after that. In fact it was the AP that made me believe in the occult. I dont know what caused the AP, but im sure lots of people experienced that.
I do agree that black magic brings ill-fate, and ive learned from my mistakes.
07.06.2012 - 19:48
Oaken
Hipster
Written by Guest on 07.06.2012 at 06:54

I was 15 when the AP happened, and i never did any sort of craft until after that. In fact it was the AP that made me believe in the occult. I dont know what caused the AP, but im sure lots of people experienced that.
I do agree that black magic brings ill-fate, and ive learned from my mistakes.

Wish you good luck that you stopped practicing it, and take care in your brother's house.
Written by InnerSelf on 07.06.2012 at 02:27

Video doesn't work.
----
08.06.2012 - 13:33
IronAngel

I find it baffling that people still take stuff like this seriously, to be honest.

It's not a matter of a "scientific outlook." It's just common sense. If there's a pretty simple explanation to something, it sure as hell is the better one than some elaborately crafted supernatural explanation that just happens to follow the rules of known psychological phenomena and cultural conventions. If there was a supernatural world out there, what are the chances you could grasp it with your human mind as pink gates and dwarves? Pretty small, I'd say. It's like the people who say they saw Jesus, with holes in his hands; it's not like they actually crucified people through the palms of their hands, so visions like that are clearly culturally conditioned. Severing the silver cord, for example, is just a biblical phrase that has been adopted into cultural consciousness.

Yes, OBEs are well documented and not very controversial at all. I'll be happy to believe some of you have had very detailed experiences. But that doesn't mean anyone with some common sense would treat them as anything but fascinating psychological phenomena. Even if there wasn't a good explanation for something, that doesn't mean you should make one up.

That's what irks me most about superstitions: making stuff up arbitrarily. Yes, we don't know for sure, we don't have all the information. But you cannot rationally draw complicated conclusions and fantastical worlds from some very basic observations. If you see a carrot floating in air, it's within the realm of imagination that it's the nose of an invisible snow man. Or maybe its mass has been altered so it's lighter than air. But you shouldn't believe either of those explanations until you have some other evidence. You just see a floating carrot, and not having a good explanation does not give you the right to make up an arbitrary one.

Edit: Wow, I didn't remember that track on the latest Cranberries. It's actually pretty good. I'd dismissed the album as a 2,5/5 with only like one great song, but I'll add that one to the list.
08.06.2012 - 13:54
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by IronAngel on 08.06.2012 at 13:33

Basically... Sometimes a cigar it's just a cigar.

Or in this case: A sleep phenomena, like Sleep paralysis (those are fucked up shit but pretty simple when you think about it).
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
08.06.2012 - 14:32
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule

I find it baffling that people still take stuff like this seriously, to be honest.......

hmmm isn't it all psychological ? I don't see anyone here saying it was something divine.
So I don't see your point. I figured this was a thread for people to talk about if they had an Astral Projection/OBE, and what the experience was like.

I quite enjoy the fact that the mind is so complex and that we're able to see things that we never thought possible. I like to believe that all religion is based on psychological effects by some stimulant.

Maybe I'm looking at this differently :/
----

Last fm
Don't click here
08.06.2012 - 14:53
Oaken
Hipster

It's not a matter of a "scientific outlook." It's just common sense. If there's a pretty simple explanation to something, it sure as hell is the better one than some elaborately crafted supernatural explanation that just happens to follow the rules of known psychological phenomena and cultural conventions. If there was a supernatural world out there, what are the chances you could grasp it with your human mind as pink gates and dwarves? Pretty small, I'd say. It's like the people who say they saw Jesus, with holes in his hands; it's not like they actually crucified people through the palms of their hands, so visions like that are clearly culturally conditioned. Severing the silver cord, for example, is just a biblical phrase that has been adopted into cultural consciousness.

Yes, OBEs are well documented and not very controversial at all. I'll be happy to believe some of you have had very detailed experiences. But that doesn't mean anyone with some common sense would treat them as anything but fascinating psychological phenomena. Even if there wasn't a good explanation for something, that doesn't mean you should make one up.

That's what irks me most about superstitions: making stuff up arbitrarily. Yes, we don't know for sure, we don't have all the information. But you cannot rationally draw complicated conclusions and fantastical worlds from some very basic observations. If you see a carrot floating in air, it's within the realm of imagination that it's the nose of an invisible snow man. Or maybe its mass has been altered so it's lighter than air. But you shouldn't believe either of those explanations until you have some other evidence. You just see a floating carrot, and not having a good explanation does not give you the right to make up an arbitrary one.

You're right that we don't have enough information to explain the issue. That is true, but actually finding out that loads of people saying they astral projected on the internet made me doubt it. And IF it is real, I think that it's just a psychological issue, related to the brain, just like dreaming.
----
08.06.2012 - 15:27
IronAngel

Spirit Molecule and Oaken: Well then you're just talking about OBEs.If you call it "Astral Projection" you subscribe to all that talk about planes, astral bodies, charkas, and all that jazz. As I said: I have no problem believing these experiences are real. But astral projection is an interpretation of the experiences, claiming it's some supernatural, metaphysical trip to the other side. Which, obviously, we have no reason to believe based on anecdotal evidence.

There are plenty of strange psychological and medical phenomena that no doubt do occur, occasionally. Most of the anecdotal evidence for miracle healing, remembering past lives, alien abduction etc. is surely fabricated or grossly misremembered, but some it is probably true. But that doesn't mean the interpretation people made from their strange experiences (that it was the Holy Spirit answering your prayers, that your soul has actually lived before, that there are aliens experimenting from people) are obviously false or at the very least unfounded. People tend to believe in superstitious claims because there are "so many" people telling about their experiences. But just because some of those experiences are true doesn't mean the people who had them interpreted them correctly. An even more everyday example: eastern martial arts, acupuncture, yoga, etc. Everyone who's done taiji or yoga can tell you it makes you feel good, and it might give you unusual sensations in your body. The same might go for acupuncture too, I wouldn't know. But no one but a nutjob would actually believe you're manipulating your mystical life energies. The method and experience is valid, the explanation of its effects is not.

It's one thing to say "this might happen, sometimes" and quite another to fabricate an elaborate make-believe world around it.
08.06.2012 - 17:47
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
I could draw parallels with hallucinogenics here. A lot of people who have done hallucinogenics have had very similar experiences. Alien abduction and seeing the holy spirit are some of them as well. A lot of people have seen astral bodies when they have been on hallucinogenics, I have experienced this myself as well.
If I tell you my experiences from acid and shrooms you would probably laugh saying that it was impossible. So you saying that people experiencing the holy spirit and aliens are obviously false is quite quick to judge. It all depends on the person.

Also I think maybe I've got the term Astral Projection mixed up. I think that it is a projection of our body/spirit/soul/mind or whatever you want to call it into a plane/realm that isn't part of our visible earth. I know that these could be achieved with hallucinogenics.

Also with these life energies, you do notice them when you are on a hallucinogen, you do feel a lot more connected to everything around you.

What I'm saying is that stimulants do cause these experiences and there are probably a million of them that we haven't found yet. It could be possible that people who have these astral projections and OBE's have ingested some sort of stimulant and are maybe unaware?

I think we shouldn't be so quick to judge, especially when we don't understand or can't comprehend things. Especially when it comes to the mind and body, there are still so many things that we can't prove but we know happens. I can give you one example off the top of my head, its called water memory. If you have a tibetian singing bowl you could try it
----

Last fm
Don't click here
08.06.2012 - 20:13
IronAngel

Quickness to judge is exactly what I'm speaking against, though: making a strange observation you can't explain, an experience that seems without explanation, and then coming up with a supernatural explanation. That's quick judgement. Just because we don't readily have common sense answers for everything doesn't mean we should make up fantastical ones. Chances are, there's a perfectly reasonable explanation we just don't know about, yet. The rational thing to do is to reserve judgement, not to entertain the possibility of supernatural answers. Sure, we don't have to outright dismiss them as impossible, but we have no reason to believe them to be true either.