03. Second Skin
04. From Womb To Waste
05. Dissidence
06. In The Trenches
07. Devout Atrocity
08. Revisionist Past
09. The Blood Of Power
10. Dead Whores Love To Fuck [deluxe edition bonus]

Legendary death metal veterans Dying Fetus are back with their most appropriately titled album to date: Reign Supreme. Not unusually different from their traditional war/gore themes, this time around the title applies more to what the band is doing as opposed to what they want to do.

That's my verbose way of saying these guys are at the top of the food chain, and this album only further establishes that reputation.

Having released Descend Into Depravity back in 2009, fans and newcomers alike were injected with a new-found sense of interest in the band. With a rejuvenated audience and slightly altered focus, Reign Supreme comes with its fair share of expectations - expectations that are more than met.

John Gallagher has done an amazing job throughout the years keeping his band relevant, interesting, and above all else, consistent. While the grindcore elements have faded in recent years, the band's technical prowess has improved drastically and their songs flow in a much more mature sense, the result of a seemingly more focused thought process. This album is no different, displaying some of the band's most technical songs to date while never straying from their traditional crushing brutality. In typical Fetus fashion, Reign Supreme is ripe with catchy hooks, crushing breakdowns, and features a few ripping guitar solos scattered randomly throughout.

In spite of being "limited" to a trio, these guys know how to use their instruments in a complementary manner, playing off each other's skill set to create all-encompassing abrasive music - pleasant to some, yet dreadful to others. While the relentless brutality and groove-infused riffs make for some merciless vulgar death metal, this album may just be the most accessible Fetus release to date. Songs like "Revisionist Past" even include some melodious soloing, while standout tracks such as "Subjected to a Beating" and "From Womb to Waste" feature some insanely catchy riffs. Of course, you get your typical filler moments as is common with most brutal death metal releases, but they are few and far between this time around, making for a fulfilling and rewarding listen.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 6
Production: 9

Written on 03.06.2012 by I'm total pro; that's what I'm here for.

Comments

Comments: 36   Visited by: 402 users
03.06.2012 - 22:00
JD
Account deleted
Looking forward to get this.

What's up with the high rating-reviews recently?
03.06.2012 - 22:05
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Guest on 03.06.2012 at 22:00
Looking forward to get this. What's up with the high rating-reviews recently?

It's a great album - one of their best in my eyes. As for the positive reviews, it's mostly because I've been reviewing stuff I've wanted to, but I have a slew of stuff from labels incoming so I'll inevitably be handing out a few not-so-nice scores. Hopefully not though.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
03.06.2012 - 22:08
JD
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 03.06.2012 at 22:05

I have a slew of stuff from labels incoming so I'll inevitably be handing out a few not-so-nice scores. Hopefully not though.

Looking forward to read them
03.06.2012 - 23:03
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Good review, short and to the point: Dying Fetus still got it. I never listened to them much after Killing on Adrenaline but am currently spinning "Subjected to a Beating" and it definitely is catchy. A good blend of groove, hardcore, death metal, and sweeps; those are the things I like with my Dying Fetus.
----
The force will be with you, always.
03.06.2012 - 23:05
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Clintagräm on 03.06.2012 at 23:03
A good blend of groove, hardcore, death metal, and sweeps; those are the things I like with my Dying Fetus.

Whether you like it more or less than its predecessor I can't predict, but you should definitely enjoy it based on that comment.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
03.06.2012 - 23:12
Rating: 8
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
I didnt like the sound (production) and the songwriting on the last album but i always have high hopes for something good from the band that wrote "destroy the opposition" (though gallagher is the only one who is still in the band)
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
03.06.2012 - 23:39
Dani5050

Nice review, I'm really looking forward to receiving this album in the mail.
04.06.2012 - 00:43
Rating: 9
A.Ghosheh

Great review, and now I can't wait to hear it !
----
Kem Khefa Kheshef
04.06.2012 - 02:33
psykometal
A staff guy...
Looking forward to this, it drops 2 days after me bday so should make a nice little gift to myself...
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

04.06.2012 - 13:54
MechanisT
Account deleted
My optimism just increased tenfold after this review. Looking forward to it.
05.06.2012 - 01:03
Tristus Scriptor
Rancid Reviewer
Great review bro! I know now (as a pre-established fan) that I will not be disappointed. They also get bonus points with me already for the album artwork alone.
06.06.2012 - 20:51
Maxx666
Meshuggahian
A must have... another bone crushing album is just what i need from Dying Fetus
08.06.2012 - 07:54
Misfit74

Can't wait to hear this in full. Going to see them live next week after enjoying their short set on another tour recently I had to go back. They are flawless live and I'm excited. Excited enough to by a ticket that says 'Six Feet Under' if that tells you anything...
08.06.2012 - 08:34
Void Eater
Account deleted
I thought that Dr. Killjoy would find brutal death metal too crude and base. I've never been a Dying Fetus fan, but since I've only seen positive things about this album, I'm getting very stoked for it.
09.06.2012 - 01:21
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Guest on 08.06.2012 at 08:34
I thought that Dr. Killjoy would find brutal death metal too crude and base.

Not sure if serious...

You know brutal death metal is one of my favorite sub-genres, right?
----
09.06.2012 - 02:54
Void Eater
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 09.06.2012 at 01:21

Written by Guest on 08.06.2012 at 08:34
I thought that Dr. Killjoy would find brutal death metal too crude and base.

Not sure if serious...

You know brutal death metal is one of my favorite sub-genres, right?

I was completely serious. Seeing as you review so much atmospheric "artistic" black metal, and brutal death metal is basically the opposite of that on the extreme metal spectrum, I just figured it wouldn't be your thing.
09.06.2012 - 02:56
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Guest on 09.06.2012 at 02:54
I was completely serious. Seeing as you review so much atmospheric "artistic" black metal, and brutal death metal is basically the opposite of that on the extreme metal spectrum, I just figured it wouldn't be your thing.

Atmospheric black metal is my favorite genre, with brutal death following it up closely. I just find it much easier to write about black metal because I identify with the genre on a more personal level, whereas death metal only offers an aesthetic appeal for me.

In any case, I'll try to focus on writing a few more bdm and grind reviews, especially since we don't see many around these parts without Herz manning the front.
----
09.06.2012 - 04:26
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by Troy Killjoy on 09.06.2012 at 02:56

In any case, I'll try to focus on writing a few more bdm and grind reviews, especially since we don't see many around these parts without Herz manning the front.

This would be nice. We do need another BDM writer to fill Herz's spot, if I was any good at writing reviews I would take up the mantle but I suck at writing reviews...
----

09.06.2012 - 13:39
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by psykometal on 09.06.2012 at 04:26

This would be nice. We do need another BDM writer to fill Herz's spot, if I was any good at writing reviews I would take up the mantle but I suck at writing reviews...

That's ok, so did Herz
09.06.2012 - 16:02
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Guest on 09.06.2012 at 13:39
That's ok, so did Herz

Agreed. He had some of the most ineloquent ways of telling you whether something was good or bad in his eyes. That being said, at least there were more front-page reviews of those kinds of releases. As much as I love writing about black metal, I think "for the good of the site" or whatever, maybe I should delve into some other genres for a bit. Grindcore and brutal death metal especially.
----
09.06.2012 - 16:08
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 09.06.2012 at 16:02

Agreed. He had some of the most ineloquent ways of telling you whether something was good or bad in his eyes. That being said, at least there were more front-page reviews of those kinds of releases. As much as I love writing about black metal, I think "for the good of the site" or whatever, maybe I should delve into some other genres for a bit. Grindcore and brutal death metal especially.

Yeah, he was as prolific as he was vulgar. True though, it is a bit unrepresented on these here pages now so could be something to consider.
10.06.2012 - 00:42
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by Guest on 09.06.2012 at 13:39

That's ok, so did Herz

Yea, but as Troy stated at least somebody was reviewing those albums. My favorite reviewer though still is a dude named autothrall who reviews on his own blogspot called From The Dust Returned and he copy/pastes all his reviews to MA. The dude writes so many reviews, some are big names and some are very obscure, and it baffles me where he finds the time to listen to so many albums enough to be able to write a good review and then actually write the review; makes me wonder if the dude has any life whatsoever or if he literally spends ALL of his free time listening to albums and writing reviews...
----

10.06.2012 - 00:47
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by psykometal on 10.06.2012 at 00:42

Yea, but as Troy stated at least somebody was reviewing those albums. My favorite reviewer though still is a dude named autothrall who reviews on his own blogspot called From The Dust Returned and he copy/pastes all his reviews to MA. The dude writes so many reviews, some are big names and some are very obscure, and it baffles me where he finds the time to listen to so many albums enough to be able to write a good review and then actually write the review; makes me wonder if the dude has any life whatsoever or if he literally spends ALL of his free time listening to albums and writing reviews...

Yeah I know of autothrall. I'm not a great fan of the reviews that come from there to be perfectly honest. I'm also not entirely sure it's from one person either, I think a number of people may write under that moniker for the blog: "This is a reviews blog initiated by the Penny Arcade Metal Thread community. We primarily cover metal and other forms of music..."
10.06.2012 - 00:59
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by Guest on 10.06.2012 at 00:47

I'm also not entirely sure it's from one person either, I think a number of people may write under that moniker for the blog: "This is a reviews blog initiated by the Penny Arcade Metal Thread community. We primarily cover metal and other forms of music..."

That would definitely make a lot more sense, it seems awefully inhuman the number of reviews that come from that blog. I always read the reviews from the MA site, never really looked into the blog much or I'm sure I would've noticed that quote you posted...
----

10.06.2012 - 01:00
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by psykometal on 10.06.2012 at 00:59

That would definitely make a lot more sense, it seems awefully inhuman the number of reviews that come from that blog. I always read the reviews from the MA site, never really looked into the blog much or I'm sure I would've noticed that quote you posted...

Yeah you'd have to be a machine to put out that many reviews I would think ;]
10.06.2012 - 02:46
psykometal
A staff guy...
Just listened to "Subjected To A Beating" on YouTube...

Vocals-Awesome!
Guitar/Bass-Awesome!
Drum technique-Awesome!
Snare drum-not so awesome

Maybe I just need to hear it some more...:(
----

10.06.2012 - 03:38
Mr. Blonde

I still have to check this out, just hadn't had a chance yet. Looking forward to the interview too, which I believe I saw mentioned in another thread that you guys are going to interview the band in the near future.
10.06.2012 - 03:41
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Mr. Blonde on 10.06.2012 at 03:38
I still have to check this out, just hadn't had a chance yet. Looking forward to the interview too, which I believe I saw mentioned in another thread that you guys are going to interview the band in the near future.

Yup, although interviews are a bit of a weak spot for me so they take some time to submit/publish. Hopefully I'm able to eke something out, because I'd love to have a conversation with any one of the DF members.
----
11.06.2012 - 17:20
Rating: 10
fosi

Great review!!!
I'll check it for sure!!!
13.06.2012 - 09:38
Rating: 10
RottingDeathHead
kingnothing_92@yahoo.com
Pre ordered this album, cannot wait til it comes so I can give it a few spins

Hits total: 12960 | This month: 12