Metal Storm logo
Towards Darkness (The Mass)

03.06.2012 - 22:14
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Towards Darkness, formerly known as The Mass, have been active in the underground Canadian doom scene for over a decade now. Under their old name they played a form of sludgy death doom, releasing a full-length album in 2004 before adopting a new style with the name change the following year. They play a melodic form of funeral doom now, with two releases under their belt.

The Mass:
Towards Darkness (2004)

Towards Darkness
Solemn (2007)
Barren (2012)

----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
03.06.2012 - 22:19
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
I'll also be emailing the members with some questions for an interview, so anyone who wants to get their own question in feel free to ask in this thread or message me.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
03.06.2012 - 22:23
ß
Problem?
Big fan of their debut... the thought of melodic funeral doom kind of puts me off. I guess it's worth a listen though.
----
My music blog - Updated regularly.
To live is to think - Cicero
03.06.2012 - 22:54
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
They aren't the exact same melodic funeral doom a la Shape of Despair or Remembrance, but they definitely aren't as extreme as say, Ahab's debut or Esoteric.

As for your questions, Array, I'll definitely make note of the limited release opinion. I'd be curious to know whether they do it for aesthetic purposes, collection purposes, or just to see who the real die-hard fans are. :/
----
04.06.2012 - 03:25
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Troy Killjoy on 03.06.2012 at 22:54

I'd like to know what they take their influences from.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
04.06.2012 - 04:13
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Will make sure to include that as well. I'm assuming given the lack of Canadian doom projects that they look South or across the border for doom influences, although I can't be sure what other music they draw inspiration from.
----
04.06.2012 - 04:52
BlueMobius
Account deleted
Ah one of the first doom albums I purchased was their debut. Pretty good band. Haven't really listened to their other stuff though.