Reviewer:
Band: Causemos
Album: Severed Senses Combined
Style: Melodic death metal
Release date: 2006

01. With The Pain
02. Silent
03. Arboretum

Finally I have in my hand a demo which doesn't sound like anything else. Believe me it's not so easy to get this kind of recording nowadays, but yes, finally I got a precious one! Even if the guys of Causemos pretends that they play Melodic Death Metal (in its new form) I didn't hear anything like that before. Why? Well just because Causemos found a way to add some crazy progressive elements in their music and let me tell you that it's is extremely original and even disturbing. We're in front of something here my friends?

If the first song of "Severed Senses Combined" sounds a bit like a classic Melodic Death, with the classic fast hyper/catchy/melodic riffs that we've all hear before there are already some signs of some Progressive music that come from the Keyboards, and that's a good start. But, this is "Silent" and "Arboretum" that blewed me away. Actually those two songs are a lot more complex than the majority of the Melodic Death Metal realeases. This mix of heavy melodic riffs and black/death vocals with those dark progressive structures is simply excellent. When you'll listen to this music you'll have the feeling that you're listenting to an extreme Prog Metal band and not a new boring Melo-Death one. This originality is the strong point of Causemos and honestly I don't see why it shouldn't work for them?

The quality of this demo is great. The three songs are original and surprising, our musicians are able to play really technical music and the sound is correct so I don't see why a label couldn't find something good in the music of Causemos. I didn't have the luck to listen to their two previous demos but this one is a good way to show to the Metalheads that it is still possible to write original "Melodic Death".

Let's hope that Causemos will find a way to sign with a good label. Let's hope too that they will be able to write some others songs in the vein of "Silent" and "Arboretum" to release a full-length album that will (if they still have this good inspiration of course) probably kick the asses of a lot of people. We just have to be patient now, but I'm ready to bet a lot of money on this newcomer? don't forget this name "Causemos", you'll see that I wasn't wrong at the end!

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 9
Production: 7

Written by Jeff | 10.11.2006

Comments

Comments: 2   Visited by: 5 users
10.11.2006 - 15:22
Basso
Account deleted
the samples is really good.
11.11.2006 - 17:35
Dream Taster
The Enemy Within
The samples sound really good. This is very unique, a little bit like if Symphony X were to play Melodeath with Devin Townsend on vocals. I hope they can make it.

Hits total: 2985 | This month: 6