Metal Storm logo
How much money do you spend on CDs?

Original post

Posted by Dinruth, 05.06.2012 - 13:23
Since there are so many "best of 2012" lists out there, I was wondering how much money you guys (and girls) usually spend on buying CDs ... to be honest .. I don't even know half of the bands in some lists and I buy at least an album a week.
10.06.2012 - 14:26
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.06.2012 at 14:06

Written by X-Ray Rod on 10.06.2012 at 13:47

In fact, the biggest support they get is by concerts anyway.

Only the big selling bands. Almost all the other bands a gig costs money.

I don't know where this weird idea comes from that small bands make money on gigs.

Hell for the Esoteric, Ahab, Ophis tour Ophis had to pay Season Of Mist (Esoteric's label) close to 5,000 to buy themselves in, plus they didn't get any door revenue at all. So they just hoped to sell cd's and shirts to try and make any money on that tour.

Yeh, I was making a generalisation for bigger bands. I just got a vibe from his previous post that felt like "I buy tshirts because I want to support the bands" when in fact cds works just as well or even more, depends of how much some people actually like tshirts (I know some people that preffer cds over tshirts any day or donät even care about tshirts in the first place) as long as you buy them directly from them, they get most if not all the profit.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
11.06.2012 - 14:23
Warman
Erotic Stains
Most of the money I can spare, I usually spend on CD:s. Bought more when I was a teenager, I've bought a lot less during the last couple of years at the university.
----
11.06.2012 - 16:35
Infernal Eternal

I usually buy 2 albums per month and many t-shirts but I'd say I spend at least 30 euros per month for CDs only.
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter
12.06.2012 - 04:09
Thrashette

Written by Warman on 11.06.2012 at 14:23

I've bought a lot less during the last couple of years at the university.

I'm pretty sure it was when my university years started that the amount I spent on CDs drastically decreased too... I just realized that there's a lot of things I need money for and that I should try to save more of it.
17.08.2020 - 22:22
AvaMetcal

Once it was a great question, but now few people buy CDs.
18.08.2020 - 09:47
no one

I spend any money I have left on cds tapes or vinyl, or maybe even a t shirt if I'm feeling rich
----
Unable to connect to the database
18.08.2020 - 16:21
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
I spent years cultivating a savings account and investing to the point I can now be a lot more liberal with my disposable income, so I've been dropping some dimes via Bandcamp for vinyl records and digital downloads. No CDs though. I haven't bought one of those in ages
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
18.08.2020 - 16:55
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Troy Killjoy on 18.08.2020 at 16:21

I spent years cultivating a savings account and investing to the point I can now be a lot more liberal with my disposable income, so I've been dropping some dimes via Bandcamp for vinyl records and digital downloads. No CDs though. I haven't bought one of those in ages

Same here, most I buy from BC if I need music on PC. CD and cassetes are in my old mans and grandmothers house in other side of Swedish lake.
Sek 300 to 1200 per months.
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
01.09.2020 - 12:14
Enemy of Reality
Account deleted
Between 50 and 150? per month depending if i have other extra expenses to take care of.
The most i've ever spent in a month on cds was aprox. 1000? at discogs. Felt like a kid on christmas eve.
I'm aprox 250 cds left till i have the perfect metal cd collection.
01.09.2020 - 16:29
brimarsh

I usually make myself buy at least one album a month... So usually $5 - $25 USD, depending on if I buy through Bandcamp or an actual CD.
26.01.2021 - 20:50
blood678

One cd per month usually
24.02.2021 - 01:07
Heavy Metta

Being of a generation that remembers record stores, I used to but a lot of CDs. I pretty much stopped a couple of years ago. This was just because I was saving money to travel, and then attend university. As a student, you can get very cheap Spotify! This really suits the budget. However, I have always felt keen to support bands. Especially now! So more recently, I have stopped using Spotify, and now buy more music (CDs or downloads and merchandise). As I am still a poor student, I would say I am buying about 2 albums a month. Returning to buying releases, I find I am spending more time with albums. I think this is really positive, as it is good to really get to know a good album! It is just difficult to get the balance right between new and old. Also, once I own a CD no one can censor it!
----
Last Gig: Max & Igor Cavalera (w/ Conan)
Upcoming (maybe): In Flames, Parkway Drive, Bloodstock Festival, Arctangent Festival, Damnation Festival 2021, Meshuggah, and 2 Orange Goblin livestreams
24.02.2021 - 09:32
majormalfunction

At the age of 16 to 26 I bought in average 1-3 cd's per week, some vinyls and music dvds from time to time as well. The last 3-4 years I have bought in average 1 cd per month. I would love to buy more but the rise of shipping costs, the loss of all record shops in my hometown, no luck in flea markets and evergrowing problem of no space in my house have made me turn more and more to spotify. Also the fact that having a great bluetooth speaker connected to the computer is so much less hassle than having to change cds and flip sides on vinyls.
----
Everything's twice as bright with money in your hands
25.02.2021 - 15:04
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
None now, but still make bandcamp purchases regularly. Amount varies by what is out and asking price. I will say I will absolutely NOT pay more for a digital only copy than I would have for a CD in the day. You've eliminated a huge chunk of the costs - production, shipping, etc and I'm sure bandcamp's cut is less than your favorite record store.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
15.03.2021 - 21:12
BetulaObscura

I am still buying CDs. I will never stop doing it. Number of purchases depends on how many interesting album releases come up each month...
----
"Inspired by the future of the past"
15.03.2021 - 21:12
BetulaObscura

Written by BitterCOld on 25.02.2021 at 15:04

None now, but still make bandcamp purchases regularly. Amount varies by what is out and asking price. I will say I will absolutely NOT pay more for a digital only copy than I would have for a CD in the day. You've eliminated a huge chunk of the costs - production, shipping, etc and I'm sure bandcamp's cut is less than your favorite record store.

According to the newest researches: vinyl/CD causes less harm to environment than streaming music!

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20190207-why-streaming-music-may-be-bad-for-climate-change
----
"Inspired by the future of the past"
11.04.2021 - 07:16
OpethFlames

I love collecting CD's, building a massive wall of music. Probably spend about $250 - $350 or so a month on music. Sometimes less, sometimes I go a little overboard.
23.04.2021 - 04:30
Rafael Cevidanes
Account deleted
I had a collection of all sort of material formats for music: cassette, vinyl, CDs, DVDs, BRDs, etc. worth over $3,000 that I had been purchasing over the last 15 years. I got them boxed for a reparation in my apartment back in 2018, and they stole it away. Even a big part of my mother's huge vinyl collection, with artists since the 70s they grabbed. I got fired in 2019 and ever since I can't find a job, so until I recover from this chaos in my life, I won't be spending more than my monthly payment of Spotify and some cheap things on Bandcamp Friday. It's sad, so damn sad.
23.04.2021 - 15:56
Metal Rasputin

I used to spend roughly $10-30 on CD's every week when I had a job before this whole covid thing. I mostly drove a car all day and listening to that stuff while working was the best part of my day. Now I mostly use cheaper options like spotify and bandcamp until I can find a new job.
----
You've got a lot of guts. Let's see what they look like!
12.05.2021 - 18:57
gavdann

Zero pounds and zero pence as I don't actually have a CD player or turntable in the house any more. I stream everything I need using my Sonos players.

I currently have a 6 month TIDAL HiFi trial, after that I'll try Deezer to see if that sounds noticeably better and then decide who I'll give my money to. One things for certain, I won't be going back to Spotify as it sounds woeful by comparison.

I've got the dilemma whether to sell off my old vinyl and CD collections or hold on to it. The tapes went up on ebay last month as I'll never play those again, for sure.