Metal Storm logo
George Marino - Legendary Mastering Engineer Dies After Cancer Battle

George Marino, the legendary mastering engineer, has passed away yesterday after losing his battle with lung cancer. You might not recognize his name, but he worked on legendary albums which include Metallica's Black Album and Guns N' Roses' Appetite For Destruction. Marino also worked on albums for Saxon, W.A.S.P., Iron Maiden, Ozzy Osbourne, Dio, Anthrax, Danzig, Death Angel and many more in the metal realm and recently won a Grammy for his work on Arcade Fire's album Suburbs.

Marino was on the staff of Sterling Sound in New York City, joining the studio in 1973. His hands touched massively successful records during his time at Sterling, helping to rack up sales records. Marino learned how to master by working as an apprentice with Capitol Studios. He worked for Sterling Studios for nearly 40 years.

Sterling Studios released this official statement about Marino's death: "Today Sterling Sound and the music industry as a whole has suffered a tremendous loss. Senior Mastering Engineer George Marino lost his battle with cancer this morning. Words cannot express the sorrow we feel. George was family to us all and we will miss him dearly."

Source: noisecreep.com
Posted: 05.06.2012 by Bad English

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 4   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 84 users
05.06.2012 - 17:06
psykometal
A staff guy...
Isn't this the father of The Agonist's lead guitarist Danny Marino? I know read somewhere that Danny is the kid of some famous guitarist or record producer or something like that...
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

06.06.2012 - 04:42
Dark Blood
The Avenger
Cancer is always a bitch... RIP man
----
It is humanity who must pay homage to the greatness of the Universe... not the Universe to the human narcissism.
06.06.2012 - 05:05
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Thanks for the sound, R.I.P.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
06.06.2012 - 05:23
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by LeChron James on 06.06.2012 at 05:05

Thanks for the sound, R.I.P.

Too true, RIP.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS

Hits total: 2183 | This month: 7