01. Battery
02. Master Of Puppets
03. The Thing That Should Not Be
04. Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
05. Disposable Heroes
06. Leper Messiah
07. Orion
08. Damage, Inc.

I know I am in the minority here, but I don't care. Coffee is not as bad for you as everyone says it is, ten million Coldplay fans are wrong and Master Of Puppets is not Metallica's best album. This album is considered to be a classic and it is a great effort, but it is no Ride The Lightning. Master Of Puppets may have become more popular than Metallica's first two albums and it may be every critic's darling but that alone does not make it a better album or the greatest thrash record of all time. What matters is the music itself and therein lies my problem with considering this album a mind blowing masterpiece, which it is not.

I can find no better analogy for how Metallica's first three albums sound than their respective cover art: Kill Them All has a murder weapon on its cover, Ride The Lighting has an execution device, and Master Of Puppets simply has graves. This is most fitting, because Metallica's inspiration (with the exception of writing good lyrics) was somewhat dead too by the time they got to their third album. Master Of Puppets does sound epic just like Kill Them Alll and Ride The Lightning, but the epicness is forced this time. The solos, the vocals and even some of those famous riffs lack the true killing spark that made the previous albums so great. Many of the tracks are long for the sake of being long; they outstay their welcome by a good few minutes and become repetitive. While it is undeniable that Master Of Puppets contains some awesome riffs, it is also undeniable that when a good thing is repeated too much, it becomes boring. "The Thing That Should Not Be" is a good example of this. It is a good riff, but when you hear it for the hundredth time, it isn't quite so exciting anymore. The sign of a truly great song is the feeling that you want to hear it again immediately after it's over, only a few songs on Master Of Puppets have this effect and the rest leave one exhausted from the repetition. To sum it all up: professionalism and repetition do not make up for the loss of true inspiration, which is the problem with Master Of Puppets even though - I need to emphasize this - it is still a good album.

The reason for the comparisons to Kill Them All and Ride The Lightning in this review were not to praise those albums, but to point out that Master Of Puppets is not that great for one simple reason: Metallica's previous albums demonstrated that they could do much better than this. Master Of Puppets will no doubt remain a favorite for most Metallica fans, for this reviewer it will remain a good, but somewhat disappointing follow-up to two thrash metal masterpieces.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 6
Production: 9

Written by | 06.06.2012

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Guest review by
Iced Iñigo
Rating:
A classic between classics and the top of Metallica like a band. The album that made history, the cd of the cds, the best album of the best band. The album that any person who wants to know what is that world called Metal music needs to have, and listen to.

From the intro of "Battery" to the last guitar riff of "Damage Inc." the cd is just perfect, incredible and all the adjectives you want. In this album Metallica composed the song of songs: "Master of Puppets", astonishing. 8 minutes 38 seconds of pure Metal. The virtuosity on composing of Metallica appears clearly in that song. In Master of Puppets some songs are really dark and paranoid like "The Thing that should not Be". A ballad is also included, which is called "Welcome Home " and Metallica still includes in this album an instrumental track: "Orion"

Read more ››
published 22.09.2003 | Comments (125)

Guest review by
Motoroverkill
Rating:
Master of Puppets is a master class in structuring an album, The tracks and the way they're ordered is near perfection. A landmark album. Master Of Puppets is a timeless classic, A hybrid, Which features the best characteristics of many different kinds of metal. Many people consider it one of the greatest albums of all time and for good reason.

Read more ››
published 25.01.2010 | Comments (23)

Comments page 2 / 3

Comments: 67   Visited by: 301 users
07.06.2012 - 20:48
Cal Wolvington
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 07.06.2012 at 20:43

Written by Angelic Storm on 07.06.2012 at 20:22
And yes, that infamous Ultraboris review... lol I have read some terrible reviews in my time, but that one definitely ranks as one of the worst I've ever seen!

Up there with this one.

Not to mention that review is a rip-off of the Deathday 666 review. I mean, he just replaced some words, what a joke.
07.06.2012 - 20:57
Rating: 8
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Guest on 07.06.2012 at 20:48
Not to mention that review is a rip-off of the Deathday 666 review. I mean, he just replaced some words, what a joke.

I know, right? At least your MoP review stands out from the others here, being that you didn't give it a blind 10 and praise it to high heavens.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
07.06.2012 - 21:10
Rating: 9
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by X-Ray Rod on 07.06.2012 at 20:25
I wouldn't compare them either... but looking to how they stand on their own.... The difference in quality is clear.
About that review... I don't hate it because I disagree with the raing or not (Like I said before, I don't know that much Metallica but it certainly it's not a zro anyways). I hate it mainly because he took every single argument right off his ass.

Well, as far as quality goes, I do think MOP is better, although I do like Load more than most I would say...

And yep, that's exactly why the review is ridiculous. The rating is just an after-thought really, as the review itself makes it totally unsurprising that rating was given. There's revisionism, and there's... what Ultraboris did. Only the most rabid of Metallica haters could find any worth in that review whatsoever.

@Troy: I'm not sure what to make of that review really... except that is very over the top. lol
07.06.2012 - 23:59
ruiaqf
Account deleted
Haters gonna hate..
08.06.2012 - 00:02
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 07.06.2012 at 23:59

Haters gonna hate..

Lovers gonna love.

Since when is a score of a little over 8 hating the album?
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

08.06.2012 - 00:33
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 08.06.2012 at 00:02

Haters gonna hate..

Lovers gonna love.

Since when is a score of a little over 8 hating the album?

This is MS remember.

if it's yellow it sucks.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
08.06.2012 - 07:44
Surion

I also agree with RtL being better than this one, but I don't find it boring nor repetitive and uninspired.
----
Ereßµ§ ø? ßløøð
08.06.2012 - 11:28
Rating: 7
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Angelic Storm on 07.06.2012 at 20:22

Written by X-Ray Rod on 07.06.2012 at 20:08

Written by M C Vice on 07.06.2012 at 10:46

Yeeup! Bagging on anything Metallica will garner you much praise from many in the metal community. Long gone are the days when bashing Metallica was a rare thing, and doing so invoked the ire of most metalheads, not just Metallica fanboys.

I actually like "Load", but it's totally different from MOP style wise, so it's a bit silly to compare them really...

And yes, that infamous Ultraboris review... lol I have read some terrible reviews in my time, but that one definitely ranks as one of the worst I've ever seen!

Will I get praise for thinking Death Magnetic is awsome? It, Load and Ride The Lightning are my equal favorites from Metallica. 3 very different albums.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
08.06.2012 - 12:39
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by M C Vice on 08.06.2012 at 11:28
Will I get praise for thinking Death Magnetic is awsome? It, Load and Ride The Lightning are my equal favorites from Metallica. 3 very different albums.

Probably only a Metallica fan forum, not around here though.

Load is a great album, and is my fave from Metallica outside of the first four albums. For me, Death Magnetic had the potential to be an awesome album, but too many niggling flaws prevent it from reaching that status unfortunately...
08.06.2012 - 13:10
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Angelic Storm on 08.06.2012 at 12:39

Written by M C Vice on 08.06.2012 at 11:28

Probably only a Metallica fan forum, not around here though.

I'm used to my musical taste being called into question. I am a Gallhammer fan, after all.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
08.06.2012 - 13:24
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by M C Vice on 08.06.2012 at 13:10
I am a Gallhammer fan, after all.

(I'm sorry, I just had to)
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
08.06.2012 - 14:45
John Shock

Better than this is just Ride The Lightning and my personal favorite, ...And Justice For All...NO ONE CARES ABOUT THAT ONE...that pisses me off!
08.06.2012 - 15:49
nicaZe
Savatage
Probably last Metallica thrash album (I hate Metallica but first three albums are unique), all others are variation between heavy, thrash and even hard rock. Justice is good but not as first three and what is the worst not Metallica. Black album will not comment. Metallica fans, please be gentle
08.06.2012 - 16:02
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by John Shock on 08.06.2012 at 14:45
, ...And Justice For All...NO ONE CARES ABOUT THAT ONE...that pisses me off!

With such a horrible production, no wonder... From what I've heard the music isn't bad. But dear lord the production.

Written by Troy Killjoy on 07.06.2012 at 16:04
Of the '80s releases, MoP is their worst for me. Kill 'em All is 10x better.

Huh, didn't think you would put AJFA over this one.
----
Rod, let me love you.
08.06.2012 - 17:22
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by X-Ray Rod on 08.06.2012 at 16:02
With such a horrible production, no wonder... From what I've heard the music isn't bad. But dear lord the production.

I really love the songs on AJFA, but the production is terrible. It might even be worse than "Death Magnetic"'s production. Only "St. Anger" has worse production than AJFA. I'm with Troy though about AJFA being better than MOP.
08.06.2012 - 17:24
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
AJFA the first really bad Metallica album both production and song wise. Only three good songs on it. Damn, what a letdown that album was in 1988.
RTL is still their pinnacle and will always remain that. And their first three (and the Garage Days Rerevisited e.p.) will probably always be the only good albums they ever recorded.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

08.06.2012 - 19:48
Cal Wolvington
Account deleted

Haters gonna hate..

I am sorry, I've just never understood why people like Coldplay
08.06.2012 - 20:10
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Angelic Storm on 08.06.2012 at 17:22

I'm with Troy though about AJFA being better than MOP.

That's something I definitely don't undeerstand. The production alone is reason enough for me to put it in a lower level. Regarding the songs themselves, I don't see either how they are more appealing and memorable.
----
Rod, let me love you.
08.06.2012 - 20:44
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by X-Ray Rod on 08.06.2012 at 20:10
That's something I definitely don't undeerstand. The production alone is reason enough for me to put it in a lower level. Regarding the songs themselves, I don't see either how they are more appealing and memorable.

Well, the production is bad, but it's not so bad that it can turn good songs into bad ones. It certainly does detract from the songs, but the songs are good enough to shine through the poor production.

As for why the songs are more appealing and memorable, I can't give a definitive answer to that, as it's just my own personal tastes. However, AJFA is Metallica's most progressive release, which might explain it. It takes what was great about MOP, and expands on that. Making for a more expansive, and adventurous record.
08.06.2012 - 20:45
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Fair enough explanation, I approve.
----
Rod, let me love you.
08.06.2012 - 20:48
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by X-Ray Rod on 08.06.2012 at 20:45

Fair enough explanation, I approve.

Thanks. lol
08.06.2012 - 21:15
Overlord_PT

The best album for me is "and justice for al" and i dont care what people say
09.06.2012 - 01:08
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by X-Ray Rod on 08.06.2012 at 16:02
Huh, didn't think you would put AJFA over this one.

Oops, forgot that snorefest. (That means you aren't with me, Angelic Storm.)
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
09.06.2012 - 01:12
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Troy Killjoy on 09.06.2012 at 01:08
Oops, forgot that snorefest. (That means you aren't with me, Angelic Storm.)

Ah... The more things change, the more they stay the same I guess. hehe
09.06.2012 - 12:44
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Angelic Storm on 08.06.2012 at 20:44

...but the songs are good enough to shine through the poor production.

.... It takes what was great about MOP, and expands on that. Making for a more expansive, and adventurous record.

An hour after reading this still on the floor rolling with laughter and coffee spouting out of my nostrils.

Like I said only three good songs (lo and behold the only three co-written by Jason) the rest are way too long and pointlessly meandering snorefests. Yes they did expand on MoP but on all the bad parts of that album. Nothing adventurous about those tracks at all. Maybe adventurous to a granny whó never leaves the house.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

09.06.2012 - 13:40
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 09.06.2012 at 12:44
An hour after reading this still on the floor rolling with laughter and coffee spouting out of my nostrils.

Like I said only three good songs (lo and behold the only three co-written by Jason) the rest are way too long and pointlessly meandering snorefests. Yes they did expand on MoP but on all the bad parts of that album. Nothing adventurous about those tracks at all. Maybe adventurous to a granny whó never leaves the house.

Really? Doesn't take very much to make you laugh does it? Whatever you're taking, I'd like some of it please.

3 songs co-written by Jason? I own the CD, and the only song which Jason is credited with is "Blackened".... I'm neither a granny, and I do leave the house, so nope sorry, you're just wrong there.
09.06.2012 - 13:43
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Angelic Storm on 09.06.2012 at 13:40

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 09.06.2012 at 12:44

Really? Doesn't take very much to make you laugh does it? Whatever you're taking, I'd like some of it please.

3 songs co-written by Jason? I own the CD, and the only song which Jason is credited with is "Blackened".... I'm neither a granny, and I do leave the house, so nope sorry, you're just wrong there.

Jason also co-wrote Dyer's Eve and One, on the cd his credits there have been removed but they are there on the original vinyl pressing of the album (just checked it to make sure)
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

09.06.2012 - 13:48
R'Vannith
ghedengi
I'll have you know I left the house just this morning to see a nice young man about my dentures. AJFA is clearly different from this album, is that not adventurous in itself? Significantly changing their sound after this successful attempt?
I would say AJFA is more 'clinical' sounding, less of that slightly rough edge that previous albums had, a keen focus on riffs which overall sound more impressive to me than those on MOP. It also ditches the atmosphere which was present in albums like MOP and RTL and adds more elements which seem to be far less thrash based.
09.06.2012 - 13:52
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
AJFA in general a pointless overdrawn meandering abomination of an album. Like Troy also said, and I also said, a snorefest extraordinaire. Metallica wanting to go proggy but failing dismally at it.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

09.06.2012 - 13:53
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Oops, we've been off topic way too long, once again. Better get back on topic on MoP.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

Hits total: 9292 | This month: 12